“a memorable enclave of style, comfort and history..all in sync with the vibe of Fes”
Review of Riad Numero 9

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Fes
Riad Numero 9
Ranked #48 of 223 Fes B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 March 2010

My husband and I planned our first trip to Morocco to celebrate an anniversary and we chose to spend the actual day in Fes at Riad No 9 and we are so glad we did. The riad is beautiful..clearly restored with love and care and decorated with a creative eye. Stephen and Bruno are wonderful hosts and together with Atika made our stay want of nothing. The food is amazing...as is enjoying breakfast on the very nice rooftop terrace. The views from terrace give you a sense of Fes that you don't get on foot and is a lovely place to sit and take it all in. We stayed in the bedroom on the 3rd floor which is very spacious and comfortable. The location is perfect for exploring the medina...but the space is so nice you'll also love just enjoying a glass of wine in the riad. We highly recommend a stay here.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 25 February 2010

My husband and I recently returned from a 15-day tour of Morocco the highlight of which was the ancient imperial city of Fez and more precisely, the charming Riad Numero 9.
From our first contact by mail American-born Stephen was helpful, informative and pleasant. He took the time to answer my endless questions -this was our first trip to the country- and gave us a good idea of what to expect from transportation and weather to local customs and dress.

The riad's lovely housekeeper Atika met us at the train station and accompanied us to the riad. The taxi ride, porters, tips... were covered by the riad which eliminated all the haggling... that we had to deal with in the other cities we visited, leaving us to visually absorb this medieval walled-in city.

Riad 9's other owner, French-born Bruno (ex-Paris restauranteur), greeted us with a cup of organic vanilla and violet tea (direct from his tea merchant in Paris) and his own freshly baked petits-fours.

Our room was a two-room suite which took up the third floor. The decoration was wonderfully eccentric (Stephen is ex-fashion director of Bergdorf Goodman and creative director for Dunhill): baby python-covered end tables, Vietnamese temple hangings, deco barber chairs in the bathroom...

Interestingly, the place still feels authentic due to Stephen and Bruno's immaculate restoration of the 18th century property. Breakfast's were a delight and varied from day to day. Each morning we were warmly greeted by Atika and her sister Ki-Toum and served freshly squeezed juices with ginger, local breads, home-made jams (sweet potato, banana, plum with rosemary...), wild honeys, yogurts, spiced pumpkin omelettes... around a sunken Japanese table in the central courtyard next to a lovely fish pond.
Afternoon tea on the roof garden was a true "pleasure for the eyes". The riad offers one of the best vantage points over the medina and its tranquility is in stark contrast to the hustle and bustle going on below.

We opted to dine in more than once and found Bruno's Franco-moraccian cuisine not only inventive but the best we tasted throughout our entire trip!

I could go on and on about the beautiful decoration, food, ideal location ... but what really made this place special was the people. It's obvious that they put not only a lot of time and energy into their project but also lots of attention and love.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 February 2010

I highly recommend 'Riad Numbero 9'. It really is a beautiful and peaceful oasis right in the middle of the exciting Medina. It's only a short walk from the Karaouine and the Moulay Idriss Mosques, and surrounded by nice Souks. The decor is excellent, full of surprises, made with local crafts mixed with 'treasures' brought back from various trips around the world. There's a fantastic view on the Medina from their big and cozy roof top terrace. Stephen and Bruno are great hosts, they really make you feel at home. Extremely generous with their knowledge about the city, they are also very helpful with good dinner, Spa, cultural addresses. Have a wonderful stay :-) X-tian

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 February 2010

Stephen and Bruno, Atika and Kitoum, are not staff, they are the friends you will be visiting with when you are at Riad Numero 9. Stephen has decorated the riad in a classy peacefulness and chatted with me about his travels and mine - over a glass of wine. Bruno prepared salads at the right time of day or a full meals complete with fabulous desserts for me. Atika will took care of my arrival, departure, shopping and friendly companionship. Kitoum invisibly made my bed, replace towels and put my shoes in place while I was exploring the medina - just outside the door. Oh, and when everyone is away for the evening, Tache, the resident cat hung around with me. Pleasant music was always playing in the background, cooking aromas emanated from the kitchen at the right time and my eye was entertained by the pleasing decor. After a day of bargaining in the souks this is the place I relaxed and ended my day. I spent five days sleeping in a comfortable bed in a dark, quiet room; showering in a large bathroom with plenty of hot water; and having quiet privacy in my cozy room or on the terrace. You are in Fez when you are in Riad Numero 9.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 January 2010

Dear Stephen and Bruno, Atika and Kitoum,
Thank you. Thank you for being genuine and kind. Thank you for being helpful and knowledgeable. Thank you for being willing to go the extra mile to make a new experience a delightful and memorable one. Thank you for feeding us wonderful food, picking us up at the train station, taking us to the hammam, teaching us to cook Moroccan chicken, taking us to the market, engaging us in fabulous discussion over wine, and providing an environment where we felt at ease. My only wish is that we could have stayed longer... oh, and that we return soon :)
Thank you.
Zoe and Brooke

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 December 2009

We traveled to Fez over the Christmas holiday. The staff at Riad #9 was very friendly and professional. We had a 6 hour drive from Marrakesh . I had requested that dinner be prepared for us upon our arrival The food was excellent and plentiful.. The Christmas dinner was amazing . We had requested a tour to Meknes and Volubilis . The trip was well organized, however our guide only spoke French and Arabic, which we speak English,Spanish and some Portuguese, we managed just fine . Fez is an interesting city, which we really enjoyed, a bit hard to navigate, but the Atika was helpful with pointing out where to go.. My daughter really enjoyed the house cat Tach. I would recommend this Riad

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank TheNetherlandsMary
Reviewed 19 December 2009

We picked Riad no 9 due to the adoring reviews. All understated as we came to know. We were bowled over by the exotic beauty when we walked in the door. We walked up the stairs and luxuriated over the view , then the real fun started. Stephen and Bruno offered up everything that 5 star hospitality has to offer, from incredible food and fun to luxurious accomodations. We had the whole 3rd floor, very decadent. We went to dinner at Riad Fez that we were advised was beautiful and overpriced, and indeed having looked at several Riads, we could not have picked a better one. We are ready to book in for next year, and bring more friends with us.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with friends