“Do not stay on first floor due to noise of nightclub music below”
Review of Hotel Sofia

Hotel Sofia
Ranked #92 of 100 Hotels in Fes
Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

Simply decorated and old. Hotel needs overall renovation. Bedsheets did not appear to have been changed but the rest of the room seemed clean. Water pressure and temperature of the shower wate was good. Breakfast buffet did not have much of a variety but was acceptable.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Juditevp
There are newer reviews for Hotel Sofia

Reviewed 18 April 2014

Pleasant interior in the entrance and very unwelcom staff. Room was ok but everything was looking very old, air conditioner didn’t work. The bathroom was nice and clean with bath-tube, but the towels were old and dirty. The toilet was in the bathroom and separated by sliding door which was better to not try if you wont to stuck inside, very tiny and was very difficult to sit properly on the toilet because the bidet was just in front of it less than 10 cm.
Dinner was ok but for all kind of beverages you should pay extra even for water and the breakfast was really poor, the only good thing was that in the morning there was a woman who prepared just right on the moment Moroccan’s “hleb“ – traditional flatbread, very delicious when is hot and crispy and butter smells… The other good point about the hotel definitely is location - in the heart of the town, main street will lead you for less than half an hour by foot to the old town and in the new you’re in a nice area with lots of restaurants, cafes, shops… and you’ve got free WiFi with good speed in the room.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 March 2014

After being in Casablanca in a 4 stars hotel, this one should be rated 2 (or even 1,5). Bad quality beds, old fashioned bathrooms. I've been in hostels much better than this place.

Not a great breakfast. I requested some extra fruits and vegetables that were supplied right away. However, the maitre ran after me to get his tip for bringing what I demanded. No wifi in the rooms. Only in the lobby.

Room Tip: Perhaps a room in the 6th floor. They are a little bit nicer and bigger.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 February 2014

We spent two nights here with friends. On our arrival the male receptionist was less than interested in us and also it was very cold and felt unwelcoming in the public areas. Our room was fine and clean and comfortable, the two chambermaids on our floor (the. 2nd ) were always smiling and friendly. Unfortunately the room was at the front and we were kept awake for much of the night by the coach drivers and others talking loudly. Although we were not part of a coach party, we still had to have the same buffet style menus and apart from the soup, the meal was pretty awful and exactly the same on both nights. The breakfasts were also poor. We came down for breakfast at 8 on both mornings only to find that the coach parties had already been and demolished most of it. The coffee was dreadful, and the waiter obviously had no intention of replenishing the basket of bread. After our evening meal we had intended to sit in the lounge and have another drink, but it was so cold we all just went to bed!! All in all,very poor.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 February 2014

The hotel is quite run down and could do with updating. In the common areas it was to cold to sit and therefore uncomfortable. The meals were repetitious and the mains and desserts were canteen type foods.Would not recommend the rooms at the front of the hotel as it was noisy all night long. In our bedroom (room 211) the plumbing was very noisy it seemed that anyone in the nearby rooms flushed the loo we had the loud sound .

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 September 2013

I spent two nights here on a tour and the hotel room was adequate but required some arguing at reception to get things fixed. There is a large surface with a mirror above and also a TV but you can sit at the table with plenty of space and good lighting. Initially the controller for the aircon didn't work.

At reception when I asked to get it fixed I was told to come back later but I refused. Then I was given the run around, send to the barman who sent me back to reception until eventually I got them together. Again I was told to go away and refused. Then the barman insisted that the reception man changed the batteries but he said no. I offered to put them in myself and eventually he gave me the key to an unoccupied room and suggested I change rooms. Instead, I swapped the controllers and suggested he make a note that the empty room now had no working aircon.

The shower attachment in the room was falling off the wall and in any case the bath was raised which meant anyone over six feet tall such as me, had to duck down to get wet all over.

All the staff are keen to say "Can I help you?" but then say "You need to talk to..." instead of themselves going and doing the talking for you.

If you accept that it's a bit rough and ready in the rooms then fine but the external appearance is that it's quite plush. In fact, they're not spending the money on the necessary maintenance.

Room Tip: Be very sure of checking the room before accepting it. Look at the fitting to make sure they're...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Satisfactory. Room was small, but clean. Bathroom clean. Shower was adequate. Beds comfortable. Pigeons camped on ledge outside our window were heard often. Continental breakfast was limited. Seemed to be a security person in the 4th floor hallway all night, at least that's what we think he was. Location was not very close to the Medina where we would like to have spent more time.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple