“Beautiful Oasis, Great Service”
Review of Riad Fes Baraka

Riad Fes Baraka
Ranked #27 of 98 Hotels in Fes
Brooklyn, New York
“Beautiful Oasis, Great Service”
Reviewed 22 July 2013

In short this place was one of our highlights of our Morocco trip.

We were a large crew of eight. Two families; four adults, and 4 kids. Marc unfailingly answered our copious amounts of planning questions and even arranged a bus to pick us up from Casablanca. Samir the manager welcomed us as we arrived and was so helpful during our whole stay. The riad hotel is a beautiful oasis. It was clearly once a magnificent house and in it's conversion to a hotel there's not much lost in authenticity or luxuriousness.

It's in a great location for walks into the Medina, and it's pool is a wonderful amenity to have after a hot walk through the city. We had scrumptious dinners up on the terrace and peaceful quiet breakfasts down in the courtyard.

It's a truly wonderful place, with great people and great service. I can recommend this place without hesitation.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 8 July 2013

We arrived in Fes after a seemingly long train ride from Rabat. We were semi-greeted by the person who worked days/afternoons, and just shown our room. We weren't given a map or any information about the riad, just shown the A/C and offered some mint tea. The person who worked in the night was much more helpful and accommodating, but we still weren't really offered a lot of information, we had to do all of the asking. So far, this was a first for all of the Riads we have stayed in while in Morocco.

The riad has a beautiful courtyard and pool, and our room was ok. It was dark and the bathroom wasn't very nice. For the price of this place, the most expensive we have stayed in during our trip to Morocco, we expected something a little nicer. Maybe soap, shampoo and conditioner? Or plush towels? Or a cleaner bathroom overall? It just wasn't that spectacular for the price.

They offer laundry services, but it was really expensive, 150 dh for one small load of laundry. All of the extra expenses, like arranged taxi to the airport, day excursions, etc couldn't be added to the bill, they had to paid in cash.

Breakfast was fine, more bread- as usual in Morocco. There were eggs, yogurt, and Moroccan pancakes, but that is it. Some fresh fruit would have been nice.

For restaurant recommendations, we felt as though the places we chose, the staff seemed reluctant to help, rather they wanted to recommend places to us (probably because they receive commissions from it) and those places were usually ranked low on trip advisor.

Overall, we probably wouldn't choose to stay here again as we know there are many nicer places in Fes, that cost less. We feel that this riad is about 20-30 euro overpriced.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TravelforlifePhoenix
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 30 May 2013

Stayed for 3 nights in May 2013! Arrived to a perfect entry...the amazing pool and gracious manager Samir. He greeted us,with what quickly became my husband's favorite, mint tea. He generously showed us two rooms to choose from, and we chose the suite directly across from the pool.
Lovely room, high ceilings, great water pressure & excellent air conditioner. Free wifi available in the courtyard. Each morning, Samir greeted us with his warm smile, and yummy breakfast!! He even got up extra early on our last morning to make sure we were well nourished for our flight to Spain. We had dinner only one night at the riad (so much to see in Fes!). We had our dinner upstairs in the patio - just lovely and the tangine was soooo good!

We will be recommending to anyone that has Fes on their travel itinerary!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 May 2013

I have spent 7 days at Riad Baraka; the moment we entered the Riad, we were met by a very friendly receptionist called Sarah who speaks fluent English and French as well as Arabic. She brought us mint tea and sat with us to discuss our stay at the Riad and the services they offer; I was thinking that we must've asked so many stupid questions but she answered everything with a smile. This is the first time I have had a taste of luxury for a reasonable price. The rooms are very clean; the food is amazingly delicious and healthy! the hammam experience was heavenly, I have been to the hammam many times before but this was another experience; I felt like a princess, Sameera scrubbed my body thoroughly, washed my hair using moroccan herbal shampoo and even exfoliated my feet. At the end of the Hammam, I had a choice of having a massage but I opted out because the hammam relaxed me enough. When I left the hammam, Khadija, another friendly worker at the Riad brought me a freshly squeezed orange juice! I just felt like royalty, they think of everything!! In the evening I had a gorgeous Moroccan soup followed by a chicken Tagine and strawberry tart dessert but with a moroccan twist to it. The manager Saeed; he never refused any of our requests; he made us feel special and important. No matter what we asked for, he would supply it. He carried out all the jobs with a smile and worked tirelessly. I have never seen such hard working team who are eager to please and are happy if the customer is happy; they are selfless indeed. I do hope that they are paid enough because these people are very hard to come by. No matter what I say, I will not be able to do these people justice. I wish them all the best and I hope the owner knows how lucky he is to have such people work for him. To the owner of the Riad; this is an amazing place for relaxation and resting; the decor is impressive and very authentic. Thank you for giving another life to this beautiful Riad.

Room Tip: The rooms are all different to each other and they are all amazing, but do not hesitate to ask for a...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Chico, CA
Reviewed 22 April 2013

we stayed in April of 2013 - we had a few days of cold weather. The house is beautiful - with original mosaic, a beautiful pool (although it was too cold to swim in April), gorgeous lamps, antique furniture, and amazing big doors. It was truly an authentic old home. The breakfast was good (I like that they include eggs with the standard bread and jam), and the staff was very friendly and attentive. They often asked if we needed anything. If they do want to charge the prices they are charging, I recommend that they make some modern improvements to the amenities (like adding heaters, improving lamps for reading, bathroom upgrade - the toilet wobbled). We did not stay in one of the more expensive rooms, so maybe they are an improvement over the room we had.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Gorssel, The Netherlands
Reviewed 30 March 2013

We, 2 couples with 2 children, stayed here 2 nights and it was a real pleasure. The blue gate (Bab Boujeloud) the main entrance to the medina is about a 500m walk from the hotel via Place Batha. You can park your car in the street (20 dirham per day) in front of the passage to the hotel. The Riad is beautiful, authentic and yeat very comfortable. The illuminated swimming pool in the courtyard is very special. Breakfast and dinner can be taken on the roof terrace, in the lounge or in the courtyard. The staff is very friendly and helpful. Room rates are high according to Moroccan standards, but not exceptional high for Fes.

Room Tip: There are 4 suites and 2 smaller rooms. We had two suites, the Arabesque on the ground floor with th...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 February 2013

This Riad was beautifully restored with original Moroccan touches rather than changing it like many other Riads have done. Samir coordinated all my needs from the room to dinner, the hammam, the massage after hammam, and our tour guide into the city. Samira was an amazing cook and wonderful hammam attendant! Best hammam I've had in Morocco! All around wonderful experience. The tour guide was good although the fees were not clear and there was another hotel employee (sarah?) who did not have the customer service skills of Samir and Samira. They trully made the stay top notch!

Tres jolie Riad, la restauration superbe et authentiquement Marocaine. Samir et Samira sont certainement la raison que cette Riad est si magnifique! Samir nous a aidees avec tous nos reservations (hotel, tour, hammam, massage, tranfers) et Samira nous a cuisinees un repas delicieux et nous a accompaniees au hammam. Genial!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends