“Unfriendly reception, worse restaurant”
Review of Hotel Mounia

Hotel Mounia
Ranked #67 of 100 Hotels in Fes
Reviewed 30 March 2009

I am glad that I only spent one night at Hotel Mounia. I travelled with friends to Fez and Mounia receptionists wouldn't let me book a room until I went all the way to the Fez Police Station to register myself because I did not have my passport with me. Quite rude and unfriendly receptionists, and the restaurant and breakfast were terrible. I would not recommend this hotel for its relatively high cost.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank Maroc09

Reviewed 28 February 2009

I stayed last December at the Mounia Hotel in Fez for 3 nights.

In Fez there are not so many alternatives of hotels like in Marrakech or Casablanca. So given the supply and the demand, after a research in TA and the web, we decided to book the Mounia.

The Mounia Hotel is located in Fez new area , a 20 minutes taxi ride to the Medina.
Just 10 minutes walk from the hotel you can find good choices of restaurants, internet cafe, convenience stores for water,juices. etc. Taxi stand is 5 minutes walk from the hotel.

The rooms are small as we expected a bigger one, but are ok. The furniture and toilets are new . The rooms were very clean. There is no internet in the room, which is a shame, but there is one cafe internet just 5 minutes away.

The breakfast was very basic and not really good. Quality was very low. Reception staff was very friendly all the time.

The hotel is popular with tour operators, as we noticed several ones.

I would recommend to stay at Mounia in Fez, because given the shortage of accomodation options, you can have a clean room in a safe area at a reasonable price.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank Willy2007
Reviewed 15 July 2008

This hotel is a wonderful place to stay. The staff is extremely helpful, assisting us with our every need and setting us up with an outstanding guide for the medina. The rooms are very modern and clean, along with an excellent breakfast every morning. It is within walking distance to a number of parks and enjoyable boulevards for cruising about. This is definitely an excellent choice for a hotel!

Stayed: June 2008
1  Thank J42748
Reviewed 10 August 2007

This modern hotel has lovely spaceous rooms and bathrooms and it serves as a good base from which to explore Fes if you don't wish to be hidden away in the heat and the bustle of the Riads.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 July 2007

I only stayed at Hotel Mounia for one night, thankfully. The reception was very friendly, and they provided us with an official guide for a tour of Fes almost immediately upon our request. However, upon return to the hotel, we unfortunately decided to eat dinner at their restaurant. We should have taken the hint when we were the only patrons there. They didn't have half of what was on the menu, and the half they did have was terrible, not to mention overpriced. I was in Morocco for 2 weeks, and this was certainly the worst meal that I ate. (or didn't eat) I also had an irritating encounter with the manager who was extremely rude. A final annoyance was when we ordered room service and it never appeared. Fes was an amazing city, and I will certainly pick another hotel when I return.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 March 2007

My fiancee and I stayed here for five nights in early March 07. It's a short cab ride from the train station (dh6-7) in the Ville Nouvelle. Note that the hotel location on the 2004 Rough Guide map is incorrect. It's actually closer to the center of the Ville Nouvelle than indicated. Double rate was dh465/night, including breakfast, which is pretty good value.

Helpfulness of staff varies wildly. Most will generally only help you with matters that they can charge you money for. They wouldn't even call a cab for us when we were leaving. A map costs dh40. Day tours are very pricey. Ease of booking will depend on who answers the phone. We phoned from Marrakech three days before arriving and they said they would only take a booking by email. I emailed. They never replied. We called again one day in advance and they happily took a booking. Upon arrival, we were shown a room with a view of the street. Fearing street noise, we asked for and were given an inside facing room only to discover later that it was directly over the bar where we could clearly hear the singer and his keyboard every night. In the end it didn't bother us (we kinda enjoyed it) and they shut down by 11pm. The street-facing room would have been quieter, but they of course wouldn't mention that to me.

The restaurant is to be avoided. The staff have the keen ability to make you feel like you're in the way, preventing them from setting up for lunch, whether you show up for the breakfast buffet at 8 or 10:15. The buffet is worse than average bread and jam. The coffee was decent one day, undrinkable the next. Same with the tea. How does one mess up tea? For the most part it was quiet, but the cleaning staff made a huge amount of noise EVERY morning starting between 7:30 and 8am, usually for 20-30 minutes. We were next to the maid's room, but the loud music, banging, and shouting to/at each other was a bit much.

The room and bathroom are small, but nice, comfortable, and clean. Amenities are modern. Shower is strong and hot. Much has been made of the 2004 renovation, and there are signs in the room making it clear that if anything is broken you will be held responsible. There's a handy price list on the bathroom mirror in case you're tempted to swipe a towel or two. The location is good, on a quiet side street one block from the main road. Easy walk to all the restaurants, etc. in the VN. Petit taxi stand is 2-3 blocks away.

In summary, you could do a lot worse for this price. Avoid the restaurant (the Restuarant Marrakech about 50 meters from the hotel front door is excellent), deal only with the helpful staff members, and let the maids know they're waking you up and you should be all right. And check out the bar at night. We were the only non-Moroccans there and had a weird but fantastic time.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 March 2007

This hotel is not in the best location but it makes up for it by having a wonderful atmosphere and great staff. The rooms have been recently renovated and although they are very small they are clean a modern.

The hotel lobby and bar are decorated in traditional Moroccan tile mosiac that is stunning. The bar offers the Moroccan shisha pipe (not sure if that is spelled correctly).

The Hotel is about a 40 minute walk to the old medina. The area around the hotel is very cosmopolitan and has good restaurants, cofee shops and internet cafes.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled as a couple