“Great Place to Stay in La Medina”
Review of Riad Arabesque

Riad Arabesque
Ranked #48 of 100 Hotels in Fes
Reviewed 29 July 2011

I have stayed there for 3 nights in February, This small property has a great, but hidden localization, However, because of airport shuttle, you wont get lost, as somebody from the stuff will pick you up from the airport and bring directly to the hotel.
Riad is located in la Medina, which is Unesco heritage and has breath taking
views from their terrace, where you can have breakfast or romantic dinner.
Breakfast served is prepared directly, almost in front of you by family members and every day you can find something diffrent, gret quality and have nothing to see with standard hotel breakfast, I would say it is delicious and very personalized.
Al property is an antique palace and has very few rooms, thats why is not crowded and service is so unique, The rooms are big and comfortable, food home made and excelent, but for sure the best thing there is a treatment you may receive from the family stuff and all employees, highhly recomended!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 8 March 2011

Fantastic stay, excellent and friendly staff. Everything was perfect. We were welcome by a musician playing local music, mint tea and biscuits. Tours perfectly organized. The restaurant was one of the best in Fes.
The Medina in Fes keeps the feeling of the ancient Morocco (at least, I suppose) and the Nouvelle Ville is a modern town with everything you expect to find.
Fes worths a visit, definitely.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 May 2010

We stayed at this riad for two nights at the start of a two-week trip around Morocco, and we have only good memories of it! The house itself is really beautiful with a million little details to admire, and fantastic views of Fes from the rooftop terrace. They are expanding the hotel into the building next door, which is just as beautiful as the original one (we stayed in one of the new rooms) and has a small pool which must be refreshing on hot days, although it was too windy to try it during our stay. They are also expanding the beautiful garden-like terrace and it seems like it will be even more stunning once it's all finished. The staff was really friendly and attentive, and we had no problem with the airport transfer. The food was good as well, there is a set menu which is a bit expensive but you can also eat à la carte if you prefer, just ask for it. The evening entertainment consisted of live Arabic style guitar music and was the best we had in Morocco, subtle enough to be relaxing and alow us to talk at the same time. Definitely the most romantic dinners of our trip! Even the bathroom was beautiful, with complementary argan-oil shampoo and shower gel. The pressure in the shower was a bit low but I think you have to expect some things like that when you're staying in a 200-years old house. We chose the hotel based on a recommendation from a friend even though we were a little worried about some of the other reviews, but I can honestly say we found nothing to complain about! We really want to return and stay again once the expansion works are completed.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Louise_CD
Reviewed 8 June 2009

I stayed at Riad Arabesque and unfortunately, we were very unhappy with this accomodation.

To start with, we had requested an airport transfer via your website and I subsequently emailed the riad and obtained confirmation of this. On arrival at Fez airport there was no transfer and I had to get my own taxi for which I was not re-imbursed.

The riad had dark, dreary rooms and had no hot water on the day that we arrived. The curtains did not properly cover the windows so that you could see into the room and the worst thing was that room's door has no lock! When I requested this, I was told that I was worrying about nothing, which I found extremely unhelpful.

The area was unsafe and had wild dogs and threatening looking men hanging around outside. When I brought this to the attention of the Manager, she advised that we return to our riad before sunset everyday. I explained that I had tickets to the Music Festival but was told that women do not walk around that area without a male in the group !

As a result, we were very restricted, not to mention depressed and feeling unsafe and so we checked into the Ibis Hotel (which was great) the following day. I had explained all of the above to the owner and manager of the riad and I said that as a result, I wanted a refund of my money. The only reason we went elsewhere was because riad was so bad!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends
3  Thank Ibn_Battuta09
Reviewed 20 May 2009

We stayed here in May. We had booked a walking tour of the Medina with a specialist company. On arrival we informed the staff we did NOT require the complementary tour included in the room. The hotel informed us in the morning that our guide was waiting for us. He turned out to be the hotel guide He looked at our tour confirmation and agreed he was our guide. -we only found out when our original company emailed us to ask why we weren't at our hotel when they arrive to pick us up. We did not see the sights we expected and were subjected to enormous pressure to buy overpriced souvenirs. This was with the complete knowledge of the hotel staff and the owners. At the end of the "tour" we were asked to not tell the owner we had bought anything.
The roof top restaurant area is dirty and smells of cat.
DO NOT STAY HERE>

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank AustraliaRed
Reviewed 29 May 2008

Read my review about riad al pasha. We had booked there initially, had proof of booking, but Al pasha said didn't have it and said we could stay at Arabesque. Being tired and confused we did. Because it was more expensive than Al Pasha we decided to only stay 1 night which annoyed them. They also got annoyed that we didn't want to have their expensive dinner, and they showed it. In fact all through Fez people showed their annoyance when we didn't buy something.

I believe there is some con job going on between Al Pasha and Arabesque.

Having travelled around the world, there are much better places to travel to and I would definitely advise against makjing bookings with the above hotels.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank travelbuggedoz
Reviewed 15 May 2008

I made my reservation by Internet for being in arabesque. But whem we arrived there they brought us to another place which they called "annexe". In this place, we had worse conditions than in arabesque. We had not bathroom in the room, it was a very small space and the building was too small and poor. We paid for one suite for two persons, with bathroom and living-room, and we found a very small room with poorer conditions. It was a great disappoitment. I can't suggest this place. It was a bad experience.

Maribel (Madrid)

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Maribelium