“Very nice place to stay in Fes”
Review of Riad Dar Cordoba

Riad Dar Cordoba
Ranked #23 of 100 Hotels in Fes
Reviewed 15 May 2009

Our room was very spacious and comfortable. Breakfast every morning was delicious and fresh. The staff were incredibly friendly and helpful, and returning to our room every afternoon or evening was welcomed with mint tea and warm greetings. This made for a wonderful experience in Fes!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Riad Dar Cordoba

Reviewed 5 May 2009

We stayed at Dar Cordoba for 3 nights, and thoroughly enjoyed our visit. The riad is beautifully decorated and in a convenient location. The room was spacious and very clean, with comfortable beds and plenty of hot water for the shower. The breakfast is wonderful, and we were offered mint tea every every afternoon.
The service was excellent!! Moha and Mohammad were very helpful, making sure that we had everything we needed, including arrangements for a guided day tour of Fes and a taxi to the train station upon our departure. I highly recommend this riad!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank California16
Reviewed 30 April 2009

During our 4 days in Fes we stayed in Dar Cordoba and very much enjoyed it. The staff is warm, hospitable, efficient, and helpful. They went out of their way to welcome us and give us all information we needed. The room was a safe-haven of calm, quiet and cleanliness when we got back in the evenings. We very much recommend this riad.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank leobur
Reviewed 26 April 2009

Having already spent some time in Morocco a few years ago, I had a pretty good idea of what to expect. On this second trip however, my husband and I decided to explore Fes. After reading the reviews on tripadvisor for Dar Cordoba and checking out the Dar's website I was excited at the prospect of staying here. Communication with the owner - who actually lives in Spain and not Morocco - was flawless and he was very prompt to reply to all of my e-mails and requests.
I too had arranged to have a taxi pick my husband and I up at the train station. I was told that a driver would be there with a sign for the Dar, however after searching the throngs of people for said sign, we determined that there was no driver to be found. This was not a huge deal as there were plenty of willing taxi drivers available, but it was inconvenient and really the first red flag of our stay.
After arriving at the Dar we were greeted by Mohamed, the manager. My husband and I speak no French and chose accommodations based on the level of English spoken by those who worked there. As I had only conversed with the owner via e-mail and was not informed that he would not be on the premises during our stay, I was unaware that we might be dealing with a language barrier as far as the manager was concerned. Not to say that Mohamed does not speak English, he does...but he does not well nor does he understand English all that well. Not only that, instead of allowing us to relax and enjoy ourselves upon our arrival, he questioned us to an uncomfortable degree about our plans and pushed for us to make decisions on the spot so that he could go and set everything up. This might not sound like a terrible thing but he was incredibly pushy and unrelenting. Within an hour of our arrival, after having ridden the train for 7 hours from Marrakech and with no lunch, we found ourselves on a guided walking tour of the medina. We have traveled enough to know better than to allow ourselves to be bullied by an establishment, and so that is our fault, but Mohamed was so unpleasant that it seemed like being out and about would be a better option.
After resting that evening we inquired about our dinner options with Mohamed who recommended a nearby restaurant. We agreed and within 5 minutes a waiter from the restaurant arrived to show us the way. This was an amazing gesture and I thought perhaps Mohamed was not such a bad guy...that thought did not last long. The restaurant was completely empty which is never a good sign. We were gushed over and then left alone while the wait staff stared at us from across the room. The prices at this establishment were insanely high and my husband and I agreed to simply split a meal. The waiter was not impressed with this and told us that there would not be enough food for two of us. We still insisted on splitting a meal at which point he brought us what I can only gather was a lunch menu or a low season menu with somewhat lower prices. We still split a meal. There were two other couples who were ushered in to the restaurant while we were there and both couples left without ordering.
As far as the Dar itself goes...it is a beautiful building with intricate stone and woodwork. Our room was absolutely huge with a separate private bath. I do understand that the Dar was built centuries ago and because of this some things can be overlooked. I was however disappointed with the 'dinginess' of our room. In the evening we turned on every available light and still found the room to be quite dark. Also, the stench of raw sewage that came from the bathroom was incredibly unpleasant. Whether this stench is just a part of the ancient plumbing in all of Fes, I cannot say, but it only added to our disheartening stay at the Dar Cordoba.
I would not stay here again, even if it were free of charge. I would not recommend anyone stay here. The good reviews that have been given for this Dar make me wonder if we just simply had a freak bad experience, but I am more likely to believe that most of the reviews are written by people who were too naive to recognize that Mohamed did not have their best interests at heart.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
5  Thank weeone03
Reviewed 24 April 2009

After taking the train for several hours from Marrakesh, leaving very early one morning, we arrived at Fez. We were told by the manager that he would have a taxi waiting for us at the train station when we arrived... but there was no taxi. We scrambled to find a taxi, and when we did, he had no idea where he was going. After making numerous stops to ask for directions, and even once dropping us off at the wrong location, we were dropped at a street corner and told that the Riad was "down that way." We wandered the streets, with all of our luggage, asking anyone who could understand us if they knew where the Riad was, and finally someone showed us the way.

We were greeted by the manager, who acted upset that the taxi wasn't at the train station. In very broken English, he wanted to know what we wanted to do while in Fez... we said we wanted to be escorted through the streets by a guide, and particularly we wanted to go shopping and to see the tanneries. We told him explicitly that we didn't care much for museums or mosques... that we just wanted to go shopping and go to the tanneries. He insisted on us taking this guided trip immediately (despite the fact that we just wanted to relax after a long morning of travel.) So he hooked us up with one of his cronies to guide us. The guide took us to mosque after mosque, despite the fact that we asked not to go to the mosques. He took us to a leather shop that overlooked the tanneries (which was very nice!), but the guy who escorted us begged and begged us for money, repeatedly and angrily. Our guide also took us to a rug shop that makes rugs, and a jeweler's shop, both of which begged us for money. At this point we were sick of being begged and made to feel guilty for not giving money, that we insisted that the guide take us back to the riad. He got very angry with us, and barely talked to us the entire way back walking very fast, not looking back to check on us. In his anger, he asked me if I played any sports... when I said no, he laughed that I needed to because of my weight.

That evening, for dinner, we asked the manager if he knew of any good places to eat in the area... he said yes, and gave a guy a call. It was pouring down rain outside, so someone from the restaurant came to the riad to meet us with an umbrella, and led us to the restaurant. We were the only people there, and it was very creepy! We were given menus, and after about 5 minutes of looking at the prices, we were about to leave... at this point, the waiter brought out new menus, which cheaper prices (still expensive!) We decided to split a meal. The food was poor, the service worse.

The next day for lunch, we decided to find our our restaurant - the riad is in a bad part of the city, with very few restaurants around... we ended up eating peanuts and hard boiled eggs purchased from a stand on the streets. For dinner... left over peanuts, and some granola bars we brought with us.

Our room wasn't so nice... very loud (only shutters seperating you from the commons area), very dingy, and smelled of sewage most of the time. Breakfast wasn't very good either. We simply could not wait to get out of that place.

On the positive... the manager set us up with a great day trip to Volubilis (a must see!) Also, the interior of the riad is fascinating. The manager bought me a pair of slippers for my birthday as well, which was a very nice gesture.

My final word... I realize that cronyism is a way of life in Morocco, but this manager's cronies ruined our Fez stay. I wouldn't recommend this riad on my worst enemy... a terrible waste of money, and an even worse waste of a trip to Fez.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank zrooster99
Reviewed 28 March 2009

absolutely the best riad we have found in Marokko. Very helpfull stuff - great breakfast - wonderfull view from the roof. I would highly recommend this beautifull place to all visitors of Fes.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 February 2009

Having read the wonderful reviews on this site, expectations were high. Unfortunately, Dar Cordoba doesn't live up to expectations. Perhaps it was due to the owner being away. Probably if the owner was there, things would have been different. The initial mint tea reception is less about a welcome and more about gaining commission. Questioning well-researched travel plans involving public transport to Meknes and Volubilis in favour of an expensive taxi ride weren't appreciated. Nor was the advice that all restaurants in Fes are expensive and there was a distinct lack of enthusiasm for visiting the medina to have something to eat, wishing us to plump for a recommended local option. On the positive side, the guide arranged by the hotel was really good and a must to get around the warren-like medina. However, a map of where the dar is situated would have been appreciated. Be aware, the station pick up, arranged by the hotel is five times the taxi meter price , which is annoying as the dar is 2 minutes from a taxi rank. The room we stayed in was airy and well furnished but musty and dark. Dar Cordoba is a bit of a let-down when you are paying close to £100 per night.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Trafalgar1805
Cirytus, owner at Riad Dar Cordoba, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2009

The sole problem here, is of mistrust.
If the client ask for information and when
he receives it, he think, we give it because we
have a false interest,he is very wrong.
The only aim of us, is always to do the best for
our clients, is our rule of work and way of life.
We regret that the ignorance concerning the subject the client writes,it did write this
unjust review.