“Excellent home cooked Moroccan Food”
Review of Riad Ibn Khaldoun

Riad Ibn Khaldoun
Ranked #35 of 100 Hotels in Fes
Reviewed 21 December 2011

My family had an excellent Moroccan meal. It's home cooking at it's best. The quality of the food was first class and the ingredients so fresh. The soup was thick and flavoursome, and the lamb tagine definitely the best of our entire trip! The ambience was equally super. To end it all, our Super host - Mr Salaheddine Lazrak soaked us in Classic Moroccan culture including dressing up in full Traditional Moroccan clothes. Most memorable indeed. This is a Must for All looking for a super night out!

-KOOparty

Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank C K
There are newer reviews for Riad Ibn Khaldoun

Reviewed 16 October 2011

When I was looking for a unique Moroccan experience for lodging, I somehow came across this Riad. I wanted to stay somewhere with original tile work and history and feel like we were in a palace type room. We booked the Iman suite (about 125 euro, which is more than I usually spend, but felt it was part of the moroccan experience). Just to sit in the cultural hall of this Riad is amazing. The roof goes up so high and the beautiful, intrinsic tile work is really spectacular. The Riad is quiet and very peaceful, which helps in a chaotic place like Fes. You are in a great part of the Medina, the Andalusian quarter which has great winding alleyways, cute little shops and lots of history. One can also reach the outside entrance very quickly 1-2 minutes from this Riad, which is nice when pulling your luggage in from the street/taxi. They will offer you all services for a reasonable price, or let you do it on your own too. Nothing beats breakfast up on the balcony of the riad in the early morning listening to the call for prayer, watching the sun make it's way over the medina and just feel like you stepped into another world. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: The rooms are all good and quiet because they back onto the cultural hall. Iman and the other room o...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank runnersSlc
Reviewed 27 May 2011

We booked a tour using Authentic Morocco and they asked "did we wish basic, but nice or luxury" as an accommodation option, we chose the former.
Well if this is basic then I can only dream of what luxury must be like.
On arrivial we were greated by Bilal and escorted up a dank & questionable passage way. What have we done?? echoes in my mind.
On entering our abode, for the next 3 nights, we are "gobsmacked" & astounded at what a lovely place we have been presented.
The roof top terrance provides a view over the old medina, where we will immerse ourselves.
We have organised a private tour of the old medina & even our guide , for the day (he hasn't been inside this riad before) states he is amazed on how nice the place is.
On our last evening, our host, organises a "dress up" in traditional clothing (once owned by his parents) what a laugh, we were humbled by so much attention.
The food, especially the cous cous is sensational
To all, thank you.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank m_m2500
Reviewed 18 May 2011

Bilal, the employee of the riad who dealt with us was very friendly, extremely helpful. He was such a great host!!!!
What an unforgettable hospitality!!! He made us feel at home!! The riad is charming, very beautiful, very clean too!! extremely well located for a visit to the medina!!
Do not hesitate to stay in Riad Ibn Khaldoun as you won't be disappointed!!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank mimie71
Reviewed 23 February 2011

I stayed five nights at this beautiful riad conveniently located right on the edge of the medina (near the food markets). I was traveling solo and they took very good care of me, arranging a driver from the airport, a female guide (Farida Chaaibi, excellent!) to show me the sights, and even took me to the neighborhood hammam which is something tourists rarely see! Bilale and the rest of the staff speak perfect English and French, and were like family to me by the end of my stay. The food is delicious, make sure to book at least one dinner with them.
I had a suite (even though I booked a single, there were empty rooms since it was low season) with cable TV (at least four movie and TV series channels in English) and a very good heater (in the winter, it may be mild in the daytime, but nights and mornings can be quite chilly in the desert, so bring layers!) I spent a lot of time lounging on the roof-top terrace with a book and mint tea. They'll even bring your breakfast up there to eat in the morning sun.
Be sure to note in advance that there are many stairs in the riad (unless you stay in the ground floor suites and don't ever go to the roof), and that it's normal to hear not only the multiple calls to prayer, but also the neighborhood "sounds" (I counted a donkey, sheep, rooster, the guard dog next door, and a few random scooters). So bring ear plugs if you're a very light sleeper. WiFi works perfectly on the ground floor lounge.
As an aside, I was not bothered too much as a solo female walking around the riad, perhaps because I wore trousers and a black coat and hat, and did not have a camera around my neck and a map. Once in awhile someone would ask if I was looking for something, bu if you ignore them they usually go away immediately.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank parisheather
Reviewed 9 January 2011

We arrived around 11pm at the Riad after taking a ferry from Tarifa, Spain and then a 5 hour train from Angier to Fes. So we were very please that the two nightes we stayd at Riad Ibn Khaldoun was just was we expect - quiet after all the Chaos that day.

We were greeted with the traditional sugared mint tea. Checkin was efficient and Bahil was very friendly.

The steps are very steep and I was happy that Bahil graciously carried my bag. We stayed on the 2nd floor - my husband and I in the "honeymoon" room and our two teenage children on the opposite side. The kids room had 3 twin size beds and a large bathroom so they were very comfortable.

The second night we had dinner in the Riad and I would definitely recommend the food. It was a fixed menu and we were served bread, soup and lamb followed by desert and fruit. Probably the best meal we had in Morocco.

The power went out for 2 hours unexpectedly on the second night. Given it was December, our rooms were a bit chilly. Bahil brought candles and we watched movies on our iPAD. We made the best of the adventure. A Riad in the dark was actually charming and they managed to have our dinner cooked by the scheduled 9pm timeframe.

Our host came by during the evening to chat and tell us more about the Riad and it's history. He was very charming and we met his daughter as well.

The rooms were very large and comfortable. The only reason I gave a "3" for sleep quality was that our room was too cold probably since the heating / airconditioning unit was at the ceiling (20 feet up). Kids room was much warmer.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank china_mom101
Reviewed 12 December 2010

Little did we know, when O and I decided to go to Fes, that we would end up in such an amazing riad. Our mouths dropped as soon as we walked in (the exterior is scary by UA standards, but don't worry about it). The place is breathtaking and so is the staff. In particular, you will most likely be greeted by Bilal (the hotel manager who wears several other hats). He is a true gem and a perfect gentleman. He took the greatest care of us as I am sure he does of all his guests. Mr. Khaldoun, as we have come to call him (it's not his real name but it is fitting since he is the boss), is equally amazing. What a surprise to see such commitment to a guest's comfort and happiness! you will love the place.*****

• Stayed: December 2010