“Nuno M.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Dar El Hana

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Fes
Dar El Hana
Ranked #68 of 209 Fes B&B and Inns
Lisbon, Portugal
“Nuno M.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2012

Dar el Hana is a lovely place to stay in Fes, a relaxing, snug and serene guesthouse where I truly felt at home. I highly recommend it. The owner, Josephine, is a delightful and friendly host. The service is excellent, the room was spacious and comfortable, and the food, cooked by Fatima, unsurpassed – the best I had in Morocco. Ben too was always willing to help me and talk with me.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2012

We stayed in the Hibiscus room. The bathroom is "across the hall" but what this really means is down a few steps and just adjacent to the public area, so it can be a bit awkward to run into other guests/management on your way to the toilet/shower, especially first thing in the morning. Fatimah's cooking is truly delicious, and I recommend having at least one meal at the Dar during your stay.
Location is really great. Bed is comfortable with nice linens. Good A/C.
I was not bothered by the fact that there is often times no English-speaking staff on hand at the Dar.
Rooftop terrace is nice, but there is no real lounge area with comfortable chairs/sofas (as there were at other riads). Indoor communal area is small but nice.
Overall, clean, good food, good location, but not excellent value.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Loveland, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2012

We were met at the gate by the owner from Australia who spoke wonderful English. She pointed out many strategic points on the way to the riad so that we wouldn't get lost when we went out again. This was very helpful in a medina that is known for getting lost. She even gave us a map and went over the streets and where to find points of interest and restaurants. I got sick from the food I bought at the Clock Restaurant. Don't eat the salad or the camel burger. This riad was a wonderful place to get sick because the owner told us exactly what to buy at the pharmacy to get my stomach back to the point of keeping food in it. My only problem were the steps as I am 65 and they were a little too much for me being on the top floor. I highly recommend this riad.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank LindaH0
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2012

I stayed at Dar El Hana in June with 2 friends. We were totally in love with our experience in Fes Medina. Josephine our host and her wonderful staff Ben & Fatima couldn't do enough for us to make us feel at home. Josephine has connections with the best guides and tours available in the region. The roof top terrace was a highlight each night and the outdoor shower is a must! We took cooking classes with Fatima...a wonderful sensory experience for all the senses. The hospitality and amenities are way beyond expectations, the cost of our stay was extremely affordable. The house has a number of accommodation options and is perfect for families or sole travellers. I only wish I could have stayed longer I will definitely return! Thank you Josephine, Ben & Fatima :)

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Annette H
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2012 via mobile

Just last week we spent two days at Dar El Hana in the heart of the medina. The experience was so vivid that the sites, smells, and sounds still linger. Ben was tremendously helpful and made it simple for us to see Fes in the two days we had. The roof deck is wonderful and provides a welcome respite from the hustle and bustle of the medina. It was particlarly great to be there during Ramadan to hear the evening call to prayer. Thanks for the memories.

Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2012

We stayed at Dar El Hana for two nights in July 2012. The only thing I'd complain about is the walk off the main medina street to the Dar... it was a bit creepy. We were probably safe the whole time, but it was a dark and windy alleyway unlike those in Marrakech which were cleaner and much better lit.
Dar El Hana was great. It's in an ideal location. "Ben", an employee of the Dar, was EXTREMELY helpful and very kind. He took us through a map of Fes and pointed out the must see locations. What great service! He really made us feel welcome and was always willing to answer our questions when we had them. He strongly influenced my perception of Dar El Hana.
Rooftop terrace was beautiful, what a great view. We stayed in the Jacaranda suite. Big room with a good bathroom. On the negative side, the bathroom had a plumbing problem which caused a bad smell at times.
All in all, I would recommend this place with a few reservations (dark alleyway felt creepy, and the smell of the bathroom was an issue).

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
JosephineJoyce, Owner at Dar El Hana, responded to this review, 12 September 2012
Dear Willyliam,

I thank you for taking the time to write this review, and appreciate the positive comments, particularly appreciating Ben, and our valued Staff.
It is most unfortunate that the street lights in our neighbourhood were out at the time of your stay, and, despite repeated requests by us, the local authorities were about to, or were perhaps in the process of, upgrading the electrical system in the medina, to support the increased demand.
I am happy to report that the changeover has been completed, and the normally very well lit streets are indeed well lit again, including the street light outside our front door.
The Medina's plumbing system does have a reputation for occasional unsolicited "smells" issuing back up the drains with no S-bend. Hence you will find the plug in the sink, or plastic in the drains in an attempt to block this. I do realise that there is sometimes a smell which can be an issue; if I could rectify this I would, and fortunately it is rarely a problem. I will reassure you, however, that it is not a lack of cleanliness issue.
I am delighted that you have overall enjoyed your stay, and thankyou once again for this opportunity to respond.
Warmest regards, Josephine
Leusden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2012

Dar el Hana is a very beautiful guest-house. We really enjoyed our week in Fes and our stay in Dar el HAna. It is more like a privat hotel, with very friendly an caring people. The terras on the roof has a very impressing vieuw and all the rooms in the house ar so very beautiful!!
The beds are good, everything is very clean and the breakfasts are very good. Don't forget to ask Fatima to cook for you once, it is really good!

Ben and Fatima, thanks for all!

Nynke Lely( Holland)

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
mochachic, Owner at Dar El Hana, responded to this review, 12 May 2012
It was a great pleasure to have your family for the week at Dar El Hana. I am delighted that you enjoyed Fes and Dar El Hana, and especially that you have taken the time to share your experience. Although I was away at that time, my staff expressed to me that you are a lovely family. We would welcome you back anytime. Much appreciation, Josephine.