“Great location and attentive staff”
Review of Dar El Hana

Dar El Hana
Ranked #83 of 216 Fes B&B and Inns
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Great location and attentive staff”
Reviewed 25 November 2012

Spent 5 days here at the end of October. Great location at the heart of the Medina, a World Heritage Site, on a quiet side street just off the Tala'a Kbira (the main street in the Medina), but with easy access to and from the Bab Boujloud at the western end of the Medina and the Bab Ain Zleten. Very clean and comfortable with a very attentive and supportive staff who went out their way to make my stay (my first in Fez) most enjoyable and worthwhile.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 23 November 2012

What Can i say. I have been travelling for the past 6 months and i have not come across friendliness like this in all my travels. From the minute i was greeted at the Train station by the organised driver and meeting the staff at the Dar, i instantly felt at peace and welcomed to Dar El Hana, i guess that's why it translates to Peace House. The Staff, Arantxa, Ben and Fatima where always more then happy to accommodate any of my needs, from home cooked meals and cooking class, which i highly recommend, to organising tours and guides. The Fridge is always stocked and works on an honesty system, breakfast every morning on the terrace was amazing and all home cooked. there was wifi covering the entire property, the beds where a special treat with embroidered pillows and high quality linen, the size and comfort let me sleep like a baby. The place was exceptionally clean to my standards. there was a house laptop for guest us, ipod doc and a collection of books and music.

Room Tip: Note to all; all accommodation in the Fez Madina is built on top of each other. earlier in the nigh...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
Hastings, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 November 2012

I would highly recommend this beautiful Dar situated in Fes's fabulous Medina ( the only place to stay) All the rooms are beautifully furnished with traditional Moroccan furniture, wonderful roof terrace and a great dining and seated area if the weather wasn't so good. The service was the best I 've experienced in Morocco, and we can't thank Arantxa enough for all the help with retrieving our missing baggage, Ben for his knowledge of the Medina and where to go and Fatima for the best meal of our trip. There was 5 in our group and we had the whole Dar to ourselves which was very special, somewhere I will definitely return to.

Room Tip: All the rooms are beautiful and very different, we went on their web site to pick ours.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
Los Angeles
Reviewed 24 October 2012

Enjoyed every aspect of the experience. Smooth arrival from car park with our luggage wheelbarrowed right to the front door. Lovely tile, carving, beautiful and CLEAN. Wonderful rooftop terrace for barbecue, which was a delicious option Josephine offered our group. Even included traditional music. True cultural immersion. Breakfast made fresh daily, guides available on request for sight-seeing, shopping, etc.
DEFINITELY will return.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed 14 October 2012

Dar el Hana is a lovely place to stay in Fes, a relaxing, snug and serene guesthouse where I truly felt at home. I highly recommend it. The owner, Josephine, is a delightful and friendly host. The service is excellent, the room was spacious and comfortable, and the food, cooked by Fatima, unsurpassed – the best I had in Morocco. Ben too was always willing to help me and talk with me.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
New York
Reviewed 8 October 2012

We stayed in the Hibiscus room. The bathroom is "across the hall" but what this really means is down a few steps and just adjacent to the public area, so it can be a bit awkward to run into other guests/management on your way to the toilet/shower, especially first thing in the morning. Fatimah's cooking is truly delicious, and I recommend having at least one meal at the Dar during your stay.
Location is really great. Bed is comfortable with nice linens. Good A/C.
I was not bothered by the fact that there is often times no English-speaking staff on hand at the Dar.
Rooftop terrace is nice, but there is no real lounge area with comfortable chairs/sofas (as there were at other riads). Indoor communal area is small but nice.
Overall, clean, good food, good location, but not excellent value.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Loveland, Colorado
Reviewed 2 October 2012

We were met at the gate by the owner from Australia who spoke wonderful English. She pointed out many strategic points on the way to the riad so that we wouldn't get lost when we went out again. This was very helpful in a medina that is known for getting lost. She even gave us a map and went over the streets and where to find points of interest and restaurants. I got sick from the food I bought at the Clock Restaurant. Don't eat the salad or the camel burger. This riad was a wonderful place to get sick because the owner told us exactly what to buy at the pharmacy to get my stomach back to the point of keeping food in it. My only problem were the steps as I am 65 and they were a little too much for me being on the top floor. I highly recommend this riad.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family