“Riad Jaouhara”
Review of Riad Jaouhara

Riad Jaouhara
Ranked #143 of 221 Fes B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 April 2012

The Riad is AMAZING!!!! It is Fes in every possible way. The gentleman whoworks there does everything, bag handling, reception, serves breakfast, takes your laundry to the cleaners, buys plugs, poses for pics, ...everything with a great smile. Thanks to HIM and the Chef, and the lovely lady at reception, our stay was superb. The room was impressive...ample, spacious, great lounge, bathroom, the beds cozy, extra blankets for the cold nights, A stone throw away fromthe souks, security 7/24, great views, great mosaic work, ....and above all their breakfast was amazing. Nothing like Fes hospitality at this Riad. Loved it, would go back over and over...

Room Tip: a room with view to the patio? We had one facing the riad, yet it offered just a great a view ...peo...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank ceciliaOuagadougou

Reviewed 27 December 2011

We are currently on a tour of Morocco and this was our second accommodation. We spent three nights at this riad. The riad is quite lovely, with its center courtyard. There is a small pool and fountain. This area is inviting!

We were given a double suite. The room is very exotic with beautiful ceiling decorations and the walls are decorated with period tiles. It's a very impressive room. Unfortunately, due to the very hight ceilings, at least 18 feet high, the reverse A/C (heat) was not enough, and the rooms were very cold, but we got used to it, and there were plenty of blankets in the wardrobe, which we ended up using!

The bed linens and pillows are a little tired, but were clean.

The bathroom was fine, as well.

Food:

We were on the half-board or "demi-pension" plan, which meant that it included breakfast and dinner, but we opted for the breakfasts only after the first night because, we were the only ones dining in, and it was a bit sad being the only ones there. But, the food was very good quality and delicious. Presentation was also great, and very Moroccan. No complaints about the quality and presentation of the food!

Staff:

Very nice and helpful; they really do try to please, and for that, we're grateful and appreciative!

Need to Know:

There are a lot of stairs to deal with to get to the rooms; we were on the third floor. People with mobility problems should alert management.

Location:

The riad is just a few steps away from all the shopping and historical sights within the medina. By the way, the entire area felt very safe.

On the Wish List:

Wi-Fi, although complimentary, was limited only to the courtyard area, but not inside the dining room, near the reception, and definitely not in the rooms. With the cold days of Fez a few days ago, it was not pleasant to linger outside.

Pet Peeves

One night, around 8:30 pm, I came downstairs to use the wi-fi, and the stairways were dark (switches are easily found though), and the entire courtyard area was pitch-black. While I appreciate there is no "around-the clock" staff, but safety reasons, I think a few lights should be left switched on, on the stairways, and a few lights in the courtyard.

Overall, however, I would recommend this place for its location and service.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank reginafug
Reviewed 27 September 2011

My husband & I had the whole riad to ourselves. To come "home" to this little slice of heaven after a full day exploring Fes was a delight. All the staff were wonderful.
My only complaints are that the bed was very firm & the breakfast was same every morning: Moroccan pancakes, eggs (tagine style), semolina cake, juice (freshly squeezed & yum), baguette & condiments, weak coffee & the mandatory mint tea. My husband & I eat a small breakfast so bought yoghurt & fruit for our last morning here.

• Stayed: September 2011
2  Thank didi3958
Reviewed 25 August 2011

Four of us visited Morocco in August 2011 from South Africa and stayed at the Riad Jaouhara in Fes for two days. We experienced excellent personal attention from Abdul who really made us feel at home. The accommodation was also top class. Nothing was too much trouble.
Corrie, Estelle, Danie and Rulene

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Corrievisagie
Reviewed 23 July 2011

We spent two nights at this riad, and as with other riads we have stayed at, the decor was absolutely beautiful. The courtyard was bright and airy, and the garden was lovely. Service was impeccable, everything from breakfast to any requests we had were taken care of promply and courteously. The suite was spacious and clean, and the air conditioning worked well. There were many restaurants and shops close to the riad, so you could do some shopping and have a good selection of places to eat. Also, it was very handy that there was an internet cafe a few doors down (5 dirhams for an hour, an excellent deal). I would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 January 2011

I just cannot figure out how does this riad get such enthusiastic reviews. We found it terrible. We arrived around 5 pm, the riad was full and there were only two staff members: a woman at the reception and a man taking care of everything else. It took forever before our suitcases were brought to our room. Our suite was 280 euro a night: it was very big with particularly high ceiling, and freezing cold. The heating did not work. The one staff member asked my husband to help him carrying a super tiny electric heater up the narrow three floors steps. As that was obviously not enough, he later brought some wood and lit a fire in the fire place. As we could not keep the fire going while sleeping, and the blankets were not enough (they did not have duvets, but ugly old acrylic blankets) we ended up sleeping with our clothing on. We asked for some tea to warm us up, and were charged 20 dirham for that. The room had no charme, and needed renovation. The TV probably dated back to the 1950’s. The bathroom was so awfully cold that I asked my children not to shower for the one night we spent there because I was worried they would catch a cold. It was such a relief to leave this place!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank MattClaire097
Reviewed 6 December 2010

Stayed here @18 months ago, and when the chance arose, chose to stay here again. The staff is great, and they speak English fairly well. The location could not be better, at the edge of the medina, with an internet cafe, a teleboutique, post office, taxi stand and cafes just down the block.
The biggest drawback is the stairs...they are marble and tile, are of differing heights, are about 24 inches wide, and - as is common in this part of the world - have no handrails. I am somewhat mobility impaired, so the staff arranged for a delightful room for me on the lowest floor - but it was still one flight up.

Thus, the reason I cannot rate them higher, because this is a real issue.

The building is a true riad, with a garden and small swimming pool. Lots of intricate tilework, hanging lanterns, and divans, and although on a main medina throughfare, fairly quiet at night.

Wonderful, large breakfasts with freshly squeezed orange juice, coffee, mint tea, cornmeal cake, square Berber pancakes, eggs to order, baguettes, etc.

I arranged for an airport pickup at a reasonable rate, and they also arranged for a driver for a trip to Chefchaouen. The drawback there was that my French was better than his English, so our conversations were quite limited. But, the driver was punctual, polite, and drove in a responsible manner, and I had a great trip.

If I am able to make another visit to Fes, I would stay here if physically possible. If that were not an issue, I would not hesitate to return here.
I stayed for four nights, and then two additional ones, Nov 27th to Dec. 4th, 2010.

They do serve dinner, with advance notice, but, there are so many restaurants in the area, I did not eat here.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo