“Fantastic visit, too short”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Dar El Menia

Dar El Menia
Ranked #101 of 204 Fes B&B and Inns
San Jose, California, United States
“Fantastic visit, too short”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2012

My wife, daughter, and I just had a very brief two night stay at the Dar El Menia. Like others have said, Graham and his staff are excellent.

There were three of us traveling, so Graham put us up in their triple room. It was very large, with a balcony overlooking the central courtyard. The bed was comfortable, and the bathroom was very well furnished. And everything, I mean everything, was spotlessly clean.

Graham has an excellent assistant named Jamal, who helped us arrange train travel, find a taxi, and was just a great extension as a co-host. We had a marvelous breakfast on the rooftop terrace.

My best memory of the trip: after a hectic day shopping, to open the door to the riad and find candles burning softly in antique lanterns in the courtyard. It was just an "ahhhhhhh" kind of moment, and exactly what I needed.

Oh, and they have wi-fi!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2012

This was our first trip to North Africa and instead of relying on a pre-organised group tour, we decided to arrange everything ourselves; and what a success it turned out to be. Dar el Menia in Fes was the perfect introduction for us to Morocco. Jamal couldn't have been more polite and helpful and we were extremely grateful for all his assistance throughout our stay. Mostapha and Um Kal Thum's terrace breakfasts were delicious and our room was comfortable, romantic and with the best hot shower and fluffy pillows we've ever had. Graham, the owner, is extremely hospitable and has cleverly created a relaxed and peaceful retreat right in the heart of the bustling souks. Should we return to Fes one day, I wouldn't hesitate to stay at Dar el Menia again.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Knaresborough
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2011

A wonderful place to stay. The house is beautifully decorated, staff are welcoming and extremely helpful with every aspect of your stay. Whilst the medina can be a little overwhelming to those inexperienced with Morocco, Dar El Menia is a peaceful and relaxing environment ideally placed for exploration of the medina. This was my first visit to Morocco, and while I stayed in many places during the course of my travels around the country, none came close to Dar El menia. An absolute pleasure.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank James F
Seattle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2011

This is a very beautiful and romantic riad! It is centrally located on a little alley right off of the main drag and close to shops and restaurants. Yes, since the alley is very quiet, you might perceive it as being a little bit scary especially at night. However, it is such a small distance to walk that I felt completely safe.

Jamal was one of the hosts, and he was very friendly and extremely helpful with providing us with travel information about Fez and the surrounding areas. He helped us with laundry and drew us a map! The older couple who cooked us delicious breakfasts and spiced coffee were really nice and seemed genuinely interested in making our stay comfortable. This is a great find and a good value! We would definitely recommend this place to our friends!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Yorkshire Dales National Park, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2011

always a pleasure to return to dar el menia.wasnt too sure if i could leave a further review but all in all as good as ever.cosy,calm and friendly with great access to the medina

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
Rabat, Morocco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2011

Perfect for this family of four (including two elementary-school kids) for a weekend vacation in Fez. On a cool, quiet alley off the main drag but close to the thick of things and convenient to the Ain Azliten parking lot. Jamal was a welcoming and helpful host, the dinner was delicious, and the rooftop is a great place to sit and enjoy a drink (BYOB, however). Beautifully renovated, clean and well-tended. Informal and affordable. Do take note that stairs are narrow and high, so if knees or vertigo are an issue, make sure to get the ground-floor room.

Room Tip: Room 4 is a triple with a big interior balcony. Perfect for the kids to hang out!
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Newcastle-under-Lyme, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2011

Dar El Menia is a beautifully restored old house, located in the Medina of Fez. It has a lovely modern airy feel even though it has huge antique carved doors which led into the bedroom which I stayed. None of the character of the building has been lost. The court yard is open to the sky. The bedrooms are beautifully clean with fresh linen and the beds comfortable. This was the first time I had travelled to Fez and as a lone woman I was a bit apprehensive, I did not have to be, I was met at the station by the young boy who's family help run the house. Yes the house is down a narrow dark ally but it is not very far from the main street and I did not feel afraid. The first evening when I had been out I came back and because everything looked very different with the shops all closed I wasn't so confident that I had found the right place, but I didn't have to worry because a cousin of the Moroccan family recognized me and took me to the house. I was made to feel very welcome by the owner and he showed me places to eat, the first evening I ate with him and his friend in a lovely little restaurant and a band of musicians came and played in the square. I felt that I was a welcome friend in his house and would often sit and chat to him if he was in, about places to visit in Morocco. Quite often after that I ate in the house with him or other guests. We ate freshly cooked tagines made by the Moroccan lady who looks after the house, her son who had come to meet me had introduced me to his family and all his cousins. Often when I was out the children would run up to me and greet me. Breakfast was served on the terrace, the steps are steep up to roof terrace, but it helps keep you fit and the views are spectacular and worth it. I am not young, but did not find them impossible, but if you are not fit they could be a problem. I had chosen to come to Fez when the religious music festival was on. One of the highlights was leaving the house at five in the morning, it was so quiet and going to watch a beautiful horse ridden by a black cloaked rider, dancing to the music. I enjoyed exploring the medina and did not mind getting lost, which I frequently did, I never felt afraid. There is so much to see and other places to visit nearby, I hope one day to return.

Room Tip: All the rooms are good I slept downstairs. One room has ensuite I have photos of nearly all of the...
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled solo