“Great Location and Atmosphere”
Review of Dar El Menia

Dar El Menia
Ranked #112 of 217 Fes B&B and Inns
Reviewed 23 November 2013

I stayed at Dar El Menia for 5 nights. I found it exactly as described on the website. The decor was lovely and the room comfortable and clean. Nice view from the roof. (The stairs up to the roof and rooms are very steep.) Breakfast was good and the maintenance man and his wife who cooked and served it were nice. I ate dinner there one evening and that meal was also good and very plentiful. We couldn't eat it all. The location was perfect - just around the corner and you were in the Medina and it was also very close to the car park and Cafe Clock.
Graham booked me an airport transfer, a transfer to the train station and a half day tour to Volubilis, all of of which were problem-free. Volubilis was certainly worth the visit (but very hot). I can't remember the driver's name, but he was pleasant and drove well.
The only thing I really didn't like about Dar El Menia is that the doors to the rooms cannot be locked, so you can't leave valuables locked in the room. Also, one evening a new arrival mistook their room and walked in on me while I was in bed because the doors are open.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Judith E

Reviewed 20 November 2013

It is true, when you are spending and entire day inside the Fes Medina you need a place to chill and recover from all the information you get on the streets. Dar El Menia was this place for us. It was strategically located, really close to the “blue gate” and easy to find (we never got lost once in 4 days, which is quite a feat). The Riad is beautiful, with a great terrace, and our room was comfortable and clean. Awesome breakfast and a well-equipped common kitchen (in case you want to cook dinner one day, or put your beer/alcohol in the fridge). The best part is the staff. Isaam was a great host, always willing to help, providing information and tips of the Medina and the surroundings. He’s a really cool guy (and well-versed in the German language), and we had great talks on the terrace. I would definitely recommend staying here if you are looking for affordable accommodation, a hard to beat location and excellent service. Hope the return soon.

Room Tip: Upper level rooms are less noisy, as the lower level room is close to the kitchen and a common area...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Myself and three friends stayed here in 2009 - this is a long overdue review! :) We absolutely loved our stay. We were picked up as promised and given tea our first night there. We loved hanging out on the rooftop, having breakfast and talking to other travellers. The pictures on this site do it justice. If I got back to Fes, I'm staying here again.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Keith H
Reviewed 28 April 2013

I loved Dar El Menia! It's a lovely place hidden in a gem that is The Medina in Fes. Being a first timer in Morocco, I was worried that my friend and I would get lost, especially in the medina. It is literally a maze but the people at Dar El Menia made it seem like a piece of cake getting there. Our flight from the airport arrived an hour late and we had scheduled a pick-up(HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) and we were worried the pick up guy would leave but we found him there waiting and we were so thankful. The trip from the airport went smoothly and when we arrived at the medina we were met with a guide from Dar El Menia. He was super friendly and led us through the maze to the riad. From the outside it looks grim, but inside it is gorgeous with classic islamic architecture. Breakfast in the morning was delicious and the staff were so friendly. It was also a lovely view from the terrace. Dar El Menia is located perfectly in the medina and I highly recommend it to anyone looking to have a pleasant stay in Fès.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 March 2013

My husband and I enjoyed our stay at Dar El Menia in the heart of the Medina. We would start the day with a sumptuous breakfast on the roof top (eggs, baked bread, jam, butter, coffee with cardamon (I didn't like the cardamon) and when I requested not to have it, they were happy to oblige. I loved our guide recommended by Graham our host. He was very open, told lots of amazing stories everywhere we went, and never tried to foist any items on us. At one point I bought a leather jacket and it arrived not quite as I ordered. He took the jacket back to the vendor and corrected the problem to my satisfaction. Our room was comfortable and well furnished. The only drawback was the first night our room had a low ceiling and my husband is very tall. Graham changed our room the very next day. We were disappointed he didn't have room for one more night. We are returning again this summer and will book our room with him once again!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Angela B
Reviewed 4 February 2013

We booked the entire dar for 15 nights for a floating population of family and friends. It turned out to be perfect for us, allowing us the flexibility to be as busy or lazy as we wanted each day. Jamal, our host, guide, friend and advisor, was so fantastic and funny and helpful. Mostapha and Um Kithum prepared the most delicious breakfasts each day that set us up for a full day of adventuring. This was the first time in Morocco for all of us and we all fell in love with the place and will definitely come back. The dar felt authentically Moroccan and was comfortable and charming and the shower was great (better than at my home!). There were sufficient places (sitting areas, kitchens, roof top) for us each to have privacy when we wanted or to gather in different groups. Beds perfectly comfortable. The dar is located right in the heart of the old medina which we loved - perfect for venturing out each day in a different direction. We came to know our local cafes and shops, and found everyone tremendously friendly. We are relatively poor linguists but found that people could understand us with our crazy mix of school French and English and sign language. I am still raving about Dar El Menia, three weeks after my return, and dreaming about how soon I can go back.

Room Tip: The variety of rooms offers many options for families, couples and friends.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 February 2013

Quite simply the place to stay. Graham, our host was most welcoming and helpful. Our room was very comfortable and decorated in an authentic, traditional style. The meals were second to none thanks to the chef Um Kal Thum, she certainly is a great asset. This B and B is perfectly located to visit the main attractions on the Medina area. Very reasonably priced and great value for money. check this place out, we will certainly return.

• Stayed: December 2012