“Home from home”
Review of Maison MK

Maison MK
Ranked #53 of 500 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed 20 December 2008

It is such a contrast to step inside Maison MK from the dusty, cobbled alleys of the Medina.

The hotel is so incredibly stylish and so tastefully restored. It really is beautiful.

As already mentioned by other reviewers, brilliant touches like your own 'pay as you go' mobile phone pre-programmed with all the key numbers you'll need and your own i-pod in each room really show the owners have thought about every last detail.

I would have no hesitation about booking Maison MK again.

However, I do have 2 peices of constructive criticism, which restricted me from giving it the full 5 stars:

1) At the time I stayed there, there was no drinks/food menu from which to choose items when lounging around on the roof terrace and whilst the team would rustle up anything you asked for, it would have been nice to have items to choose from.

2) I found the food to be great 'home cooked moroccan food' and would suggest they didn't pretend it to be any more than that. The 5 course evening meal sounded spectacular on the menu but whilst all beautifully cooked, was nothing more than solid home cooking. Don't pretent it's something it's not.

1  Thank Marb007

Reviewed 15 December 2008

For my first time in Marrakech, I was very excited and worried at the same time, and on top of that choosing the Riad was a hard decision. There are over 400 riads in Marrakech tucked away in many of the little streets of the medina and you would think they are all very similiar. Maison MK is the proof that there are riads that are really really special, that will make your little break unforgettable. The moment you walk in, the perfumes and the vibrant colours embrace you in such a peaceful state, something new to me. I have been to many boutique and luxury hotels, but this particular one made me really feel at home. In the chaos of the medina and the souks, all I could think about was coming back to my paradise and talk to the lovely staff that make Maison MK even more special than it already is. The spa was unbelievable and sipping wine on their terrace was timeless. loved their bath robes, which I had to take with me.What else can I say, I will be back soon hungry for that peacefulness Maison gave me.

Stayed: December 2008
Reviewed 28 November 2008

My husband and I wanted to celebrate our 10th anniversary with a trip to Marrakech. Although we travel frequently we had not been to Morocco before so we consulted friends, travel magazines, and TripAdvisor to find the best place to stay. Based on the incredible experiences and excellent feedback about maison mk on TripAdvisor (and a few emails back and forth with the riad) checking out the mk website and reading the fascinating blog that the owners wrote about their experience building the riad, we booked our stay at mk.

Before we arrived we were in frequent contact with Pauline and Jallel to book restaurant reservations in advance and also to coordinate transfers from airport and guides. They were incredibly responsive via email and assured us we would be taken care of. We could not have anticipated how amazing the service and attention we would receive would be until we arrived.

From the moment we arrived at the airport (one suitcase missing), we were in the excellent hands of the mk team. They would go back to the airport to fetch my missing suitcase, and gave us a wonderful tour of the riad upon arrival. We went to one of the dinners straight away - booked by team mk - and it was truly spectacular!

Our room at mk was so perfect - attention to detail was evident everywhere - from the in-room sound system with the best soundtrack on earth, to the rose petals, gorgeous tub, softest bed linens, wonderful toiletries, exquisite lighting, and of course there was more. First thing in the morning, your coffee tray is outside your door. When you are ready, head up to the gorgeous open terrace for a sumptuous breakfast - the best orange juice, breads, jams, homemade yogurt, ethereal eggs, coffee and tea. A dream and the view of the Koutoubia is fantastic from the roof.

Each day, Pauline, Jallel, and the other folks gave us sage advice about shopping the souks, where to have lunch, and sent us off with bottled waters. They arranged for drivers for dinner when necessary and we hired a driver to take us to the Quartier Industriel which is well worth a visit for Akkal and Amira Bougies. Team mk also introduced us to the local merchants within meters of mk - and all treated us like family. We'll be back to visit Mustafa for leather goods again!

The whole interior of mk reflected the wonderful taste and identity of Marrakech. We enjoyed many mint teas (love the kettle and toppers), beers, and wines while relaxing in the various nooks of the riad. We had a few lunches which were absolutely delicious - so fresh and well-seasoned and the absolute best sweet crepes on the planet! (I skipped crepes in Paris afterwards because I knew these were better!). The food at mk is excellent and it is worth enjoying at least one lunch and dinner during your stay.

Maison mk was immaculate! Everything was so clean and well cared for at the riad. We LOVED the hammam and the massages are legendary. I bought all the products I could possibly carry back.

There hasn't been a day since we got back home to San Francisco that we haven't thought about our stay at mk and how welcomed we were and we absolutely plan to return next year.

Reviewed 24 November 2008

This is a beautiful oasis in the bustle of the Medina. Stunning decor and fantastically considerate gestures in the room such as an IPOD and a mobile phone programmed with numbers you might need to take out with you. The riad and its rooms are beautiful with stunning lighting, rose petals and candles which create the perfect Moroccan atmosphere. The staff are very friendly and nothing is too much trouble. Breakfast on the beautiful terrace overlooking the rooftops of Marrakech is an experience you won't forget in a hurry. To top it all, the Hamman is out of this world. We will definitely go back for the whole experience and can highly recommend you visit.

Stayed: November 2008
Reviewed 22 November 2008

A luxurious retreat from the bustle of the Medina. Always a friendly welcome and very helpful staff. With lovely food and a lovely chef! What can we say? It was all we hoped for!

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 November 2008

Maison MK met our expectations! it was such a great place to stay for our honeymoon. We booked the master suite and it was soooo nice! Staff is absolutely friendly and always there to help.

food is amazing if you obt for staying a night in ( we did!) YOu can relax on the roof or in one of the rooms inside.

Gosh no more to say just perfect! a nice ending to our honeymoon. We could not have asked for more!

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 November 2008

We stayed at Masion MK for five nights with a two night break in the Atlas mountains. The Riad is stunning. A great relaxing place to stay with the best service. The design of the hotel is fantastic - we stayed in two different rooms both of which were spacious and clean. The staff go out of their way to make the stay memorable with little touches such as petals on the beds. The food is great and the location couldn't be better - just a short walk to the souks and the Djemaa el-fna. The riad arranged our transfers to the mountain and stored our luggage making everything nice and easy. Maison MK made our stay in Marrakesh and we would certainly return, even just to stay in and do nothing but relax in the riad.