“PERFECT Honeymoon Destination”
Review of Maison MK

Maison MK
Ranked #41 of 501 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed 16 August 2009

We've just returned home after spending our Honeymoon in Marakech staying at Maison MK.

What can we say that others haven't said on here before us........? Not a lot really as the reviews sum up Maison MK brilliantly.

From the moment we booked until the moment we were dropped off at the airport to leave Paul (the 'very hands on' owner) and all the staff were extremely helpfull with no request too much trouble. The rooms are stunning and certainly the very best hotel / Riad we have ever experienced in all of our travels.

This really is an oasis of trendy calm and tranquility within the hussle & bussle that is Marakech.

Thank you Paul and all staff for making our honeymoon such a wonderfull, memorable and romantic occasion. If we decide to return to Marakech in the future there is only one place we'll be staying!!!

Chris & Sarah
Nantwich, Cheshire

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 15 August 2009

I visited Marrakech for 4 days in mid-july; my first visit to Morocco and what an amazing trip it turned out to be. And a highlight of my trip was my choice of hotel or riad. Getting the hotel right in the first instance is reassuring and you just know your holiday is off to a great start.

Even before my flight, I received a pdf guide to the city with travelling tips and advice from the hotel. A first for me! Fussy traveller that I am, I emailed a request that all my pillows and duvet be feather-free and within minutes received a nice reply from Pauline saying that all my bedding would be synthetic as requested. Greeted at the airport by a friendly driver and welcomed at the hotel with a fragrant mint tea and home-made pastry. The hotel is exquisitely decorated, modern, clean and calming. An oasis from the din and clamour outside. It’s the little touches that warms you to this place: the petals on the bed, complimentary waters, ipod-music facilities, remote air-con, hot flask of coffee on your doorstep in the morning. At every turn, you’re confronted with some interior-design touch that just smacks of great thought and care and if you’re into interior lighting as I am, then you’ll delight in this place. It might be modern and chic, but at the same time it can be a nice romantic getaway, with charming areas like the tv/reading room, that’s an inviting den, the only sound coming from the trickling waterfall feeding the interior pool.

I have to admit, that I travel on business quite a lot and my company usually put it up at big, swanky, chain hotels; so the prospect of staying in a small place with just 6 rooms made me somewhat nervous. But, as I was to discover, therein lies the charm of the MK Maison. I only saw one other couple besides us and I felt the place was very much ours; the staff were always present, but quietly hovered in the background. And on the subject of staff, we were very lucky that the manager, Pauline, was on duty during our stay. I was keen to sample some of the best cuisine and I roped in Pauline to book some of my restaurants and get her advice on trips to the Atlas mountains. I even invited her to join us for breakfast on the roof terrace and meeting her was a real highlight; beautiful, friendly, charming and utterly sincere. Thanks Pauline, you made our holiday.

Our room was very comfortable, and on occasion a real retreat from the 38 degree heat. I peeped into an adjacent room to our right (the door was open and it was unoccupied) and was astonished at its huge size and glamorous fittings; probably far too expensive for me and no doubt the room where Jamie Oliver purportedly grabbed forty winks. The hotel has a restaurant for dinner, but as I generally like to savour the cuisine in diverse restaurants (try the Comptoir in the new town and Dar Yacout) for atmosphere and dare-I-say raucous belly dancing, I rarely ate in. However, I did enjoy a romantic dinner on our last night at the MK and had a memorable poached pear desert. I would always recommend eating out, but if you need to unwind on your first night without the hassle of finding food, then by all means, eat in, but don’t expect the vibrant buzz of a restaurant that can only be had in the medina.

Marrakech can be quite exhausting; the sensory overload from the souks and the square is best relieved by some gentle pampering in the form of a ‘relaxation massage’ from MK’s in-house masseuse, Hasnaa. I was transported into another world. My only regret was that I discovered Hasnaa on my last night; wish I got in at least a couple, but at €50 it was quite a luxury.

Maison MK has a quaint location at a turning in a narrow lane, that makes you feel you’re in a local neighbourhood and importantly you are just minutes away from the main square. My girlfriend who is a keen photographer, couldn’t get enough pictures of these alleyways as we strode back to our hotel in the late evening. I have taken lots of photos and video and if I get time one day, I would like to edit the video and upload it.

And another thing I will always remember MK Maison for, will surely be the cutest tea-bags. I asked for one to take home, and the delightful Abdou slipped me three (shh…). What’s so special about those, darn tea-bags…. Well, you’ll have to find out yourself, and if you live in London like me, it’s a mere 3 1/2 hours away.
Vijay

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 August 2009

We stayed in Maison MK for four nights in July. The service was excellent from the friendly and helpful staff. The hotel, though small, was lovely with comfortable, air-conditioned rooms and breakfast on the rooftop was beautiful. The location of the hotel was also really good because we could walk everywhere (when it wasn’t too hot!) We would recommend Maison MK as it is the perfect spot to stay in such a busy city.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 August 2009

At the risk of repeating others... this is what you're looking for when it comes to a bit of calm luxury in a mad-cap city. Yes, you pay - relative to other establishments - but it's worth it: nothing is too much trouble for the delightful staff. Superb food; sumptuous accommodation. Everything has been thought of in advance (a mobile phone for when you get lost? an ipod to jiggle with? - don't get that a lot do you?) and if it hasn't been thought of, they'll try to sort it for you on request. We mentioned we coveted their water glasses. Within the hour a set was in our room ready for export. The Spa? Small but perfectly formed and equally well staffed. And to be able to have a dip in the plunge pool with the resident yellow plastic duck - in that heat - fantastic. Like Arnie, We'll Be Back.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 July 2009

After much searching on the internet for somewhere special for our honeymoon, we decided on Maison MK-and we were not disappointed. We were upgraded to the master suite which was beautiful, the service you recieve is second to none-nothing was to much bother for the staff. Pauline was especially helpful during our stay.

We only ate once at the riad, and the food was delicious! i wish we had eaten there more!

We did use the spa also and the treatments were very good.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 July 2009

Having initially only booked three nights in Maison MK, we liked it so much we decided to come back after our travels elsewhere in Morocco. The Riad is beautiful and has a real sense of peace, like an oasis in an otherwise crazy city. The staff are really helpful, they were on hand at any point to give you advice, arrange trips, book restaurants or whatever. We woke up every morning to a pot of coffee outside our door, followed by a lovely breakfast up on the roof looking over Marrakesh and the tagine we had in the evening was amongst the best we had tried. It is also in a brilliant location, you are in the souks or on the Djemma al Fna within five minutes. Would recommend a stay in Maison MK without a shadow of a doubt.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 June 2009

After working out where to go for a week away we stumbled accross MK Maison in Marrakech. From the start where Paul the owner contacted us and gave suggestions on our trip we felt completely at home with the team at MK.
The actual experience in MK was superb, the team know service there and are always willingly to help out with out being over the top.
We had an issue when we checked out of the hotel not related to MK and we called on Jallel who was true to his word and helped us out, with no up side for himself.
The location is superb, the surronds ideal and best of all they have a great team of staff who will make your stay perfect.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple