“A glorious oasis of calm peace and luxury in beautiful surrounds.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Maison MK

and 1 more site!
Maison MK
Ranked #18 of 494 Hotels in Marrakech
Lixwm
“A glorious oasis of calm peace and luxury in beautiful surrounds.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2011

This was a phenomenal landing from a freezing Britain and a hard few months work to celebrate a special birthday. The choice could not have been better. We had 3 full days plus one evening and had a packed programme of activities all helpfully planned by hotel staff. The welcome was warm without being intrusive, the roof top where we ate our delicious meals was dream-like; the views across the skyline of the medina and away to the High Atlas could tempt you to stay there all day.
We were so close to the Luxor Gate that this was ideal with a 5 minute walk to the main square and just 2 minutes into the souks but also 2minutes out of the medina and into the more modern quarter of the city where we found a fixed-price covered market ( a bit of a relief if you've had enough of haggling in the souks.)
We had a half-day trip out to the Atlas mountains which the hotel organised for us and we had a wonderful day out.( Rachid our taxi-driver was helpful, chatty, informative and a good driver!) In the riad we took advantage of their amenities by having a hammam and a massage and the staff here were delightful and very attentive. The gastro menu
evening was superb and the variety of tastes a delight. We also took a morning's cookery course which led us into the hotel kitchen and even out with Omar to the local communal bakery oven where we left our bread to be picked up a couple of hours later.
The staff were helpful, polite and always hit the right balance between formal attentiveness and friendly conversation; Si Mohammed the night waiter was so friendly and helpful he even spotted us leaving when he was outside off duty and came over to help with the bags and wish us a safe trip home!
The atmosphere was enhanced by the carefully chosen music, and in your room if it was ever not to your taste you had the option to change the play-list or even turn it off. The rooms were luxurious and beautifully designed, again, if there hadn't been so much to do you could have been tempted to stay there and chill for hours. The morning coffee was a treat for me as a regular coffee drinker and a well-chosen variety which even converted my wife! Clearly a lot of time has gone in to establishing Maison MK locally as there were a couple of local shops who knew the owners and one even gave us a discount! A wonderful stay in glorious surrounds - for me the roof-top bar with the minaret lit up and the wood-fire crackling in the brazier sharing an apero and then a late night snack with my wife was the absolute tops. Thanks a million !

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
  • Arabic first
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2011

We stayed at Maison MK in early December trying to get awya from Europe's cold weather. Marrakech was sunny, but unfortunately the riad was not. Our room was dark and damp and absolutely freezing. The lounge area was cold and my partner and I had to buy extra jumpers to keep warm.

We complained to the management and while they promised to provide exra heaters for the bedrooms they did not. There was very limited or no hot water in the mornings and we were told that if too many guests are showering at once the hot water heaters could not provide enopugh for everyone.

I would not reccomend this place if you are looking for cosy,comfortable accomodations.

5 Thank ColdLuca
paul_at_maisonMK, Owner at Maison MK, responded to this review, 26 January 2011
ColdLuca says he 'stayed' at maison mk in early December which is fortunate because I was staying there in early December as well ! (I am the owner). Sadly, i do not recognise who ColdLuca is and I do not recognise what he is saying. Early December is a quiet time in marrakech and we know every single guest personally. We have already been in touch with every single guest in early December, have had feedback from each and every one and all were very happy, and there were no such problems - in fact we had one guest from early December rebooked for late December again because they loved it.
We have extra strong, ultra-modern air-conditioning in every bedroom that provides heating & cooling & it all functions beautifully. We have never been asked for an extra heater & we do not have any. The lounge area also has the same powerful heating system.
The hot water - we had a new boiler about a year ago, installed by our English plumber flown out specially to ensure it was reliable. It has worked perfectly ever since & there are no complaints about lack of hot water. We have baths in 5 out of the 6 rooms & the boiler is easily capable of providing piping hot water to all rooms for baths. That is why we flew out our plumber, to make sure we over-provided on the hot water.
I have asked ColdLuca to get in touch, but have obviously heard nothing so that is why I have had to respond to this 'guest' on this response form.
Every guest has a feedback form at the end of their stay & nothing was mentioned about heating or hot water on any of these. I was staying at the riad for early December and none of this seems to match what I was seeing, so it is a mystery I'm afraid. Sorry I cannot offer a better answer, but the heating works perfectly & the hot water works perfectly - it is surprising that if there is such a problem, no clients that stayed at the riad seem to have noticed !
This saddens be deeply as perhaps it wasn't maison mk that they stayed at and so it is very important that they contact me now to help rectify this situation.
Regards
Paul (owner)
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2011

We’ve been back from Marrakech for about a month now and in that time we’ve done nothing but rave about Maison MK to everyone we meet.

The overwhelming memory I have of Maison MK is the most amazing smell that permeates through the entire riad. They constantly have oils burning that smell like a mix of orange blossom and cinnamon which is so welcoming and inviting it automatically puts you at ease. Even as we unpacked our bags when we returned to London, we could still smell faint traces on our clothes that automatically transported us back to the warmth of the riad.

The oils are just one example of how they’ve thought of everything! You can see it’s owned by creative people as the decor is really beautiful and all the finishings are of a fantastic quality, especially the sheets which you simply melt into. The ipod dock in our room was a bit temperamental but we were more than happy to listen to the chill out mix that was a soothing combination of groove amarda beats and traditional sounds.
We loved the location too, it was so central and really easy to get back to no matter where we were in the city. Personally we didn’t enjoy the whole taxi experience so staying somewhere in close proximity to the main square was a huge plus for us. We spent a lot of the day on our feet walking around so we loved returning to the creature comforts of the riad to relax with sundowners on the roof terrace.

The team were all so helpful and welcoming especially Pauline and Mohammed who simply couldn’t do enough to help us. Like other reviewers, we loved the mobile phone and Pauline gave us some insider guide prices for bartering in the souk which helped us immensely as we walked away feeling confident that we weren’t ripped off.

We ate at the restaurant one night which was great – Modern cuisine with a hint of Morrocco that was easily comparable to a meal at top restaurant in London. It was my birthday and my boyfriend and I sat in a secluded alcove that was quite romantic. I also indulged in a luxurious hammam and massage treatment. I wasn’t brave enough to go to one of the communal hammams by myself and I have to say I don’t regret it, it was pure heaven.

I’d go back in a heartbeat!

Bedfordshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2010

My stay at Maison MK was simply perfect. A beautiful Riad that has been developed and decorated to an exacting standard, making it a relaxing and comfortable place to stay.

From the moment I arrived I was made to feel most welcome. My bedroom was upgraded and the staff were interested, polite and selfless in their service.

Both Paul and Pauline were super and I would most certainly stay at any establishment run by them in the future. I would recommend the restaurant; Chef Andrew and his team are clearly very passionate and talented - the chicken skewer and couscous is exceptional. Of course I would also recommend a relaxing massage with Hasnaa.

I will be returning with friends and will be recommending to anyone that is happy to listen.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2010

I recently went to Morocco with my parents, where we stayed in Marrakech for six nights in Maison MK, split over two stays (we went on a tour of the desert in the middle). What an experience - I cannot recommend Maison MK (and indeed Morocco) enough.

The location is perfect - all the sights are a short walk, with the main plaza (Djemma el-Fna) just 5-10mins by foot and the Koutoubia mosque little further. Although if you sleep lightly you'll need earplugs to sleep through the call to prayer at 510am!

The riad itself is beautiful. It has modern finishings throughout and there has been no sacrificing comfort to accommodate "character" - this riad has both in abundance. Plus there's a gorgeous roof terrace higher than most of the city, you get fantastic views at all hours.

The staff were quite incredible. Attentive without being intrusive, it really was like coming home (but without having to do the housework!). The cooking course we did there helped - I felt welcome to poke my head into the kitchen and say hi, and everyone greeted us with a smile and seemed interested to hear about our adventures. Special mention must be made of the front of house, who were disarmingly charming.

It is not cheap, but it is a top end hotel. That said, charging ten times the price for fresh orange juice that was available a stones throw away seemed a bit much (4 euros vs 4 dirhams at the main plaza).

One final minor point - if you are not that mobile, note that there is no lift (although only three flights of stairs).

All in all though, a wonderful hotel, definitely somewhere I would go again.

• Stayed November 2010
1 Thank Farnos
Hong Kong
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2010

An unforgettable holiday and well worth the long haul from Hong Kong. First impressions of Marrakech pretty much left me awestruck. A city of contrasts that leaves a profound effect by the sheer, unflinching assault of the senses - vivid colors, intoxicating smells of spice and incense, trance-inducing unison of bendir and ancient song. Letting go and losing yourself in the heady mix is the best way to enjoy the city.

We stayed at Maison MK, an intimate hideaway with the perfect balance of creature comforts and the laid back warmth of a family home. Beyond unassuming doors is an oasis of luxurious calm within the riad, with rooms that are beautifully appointed and little extra touches here and there that make all the difference. While not a sprawling complex, communal spaces are thoughtfully designed to allow privacy but also mingling with other quests.

Gastro MK's 7-course dinner was one of the highlights of our stay. Deserving special mention is head chef Andrew West whose creations belie his youth; he will be, if not already, a force to be reckoned with in the culinary world. Sous chef Omar is a master of fine Moroccan cuisine and has the recipe for the best lamb tagine known to mankind.

The riad's roof terrace has been adequately raved about by others, so there is not much more to add, but on our final night we sat there for hours, soaking up the magnificent Koutoubia, the muezzins' last call to prayer, the clear Moroccan night sky, full moon and stars for miles - it was magical and we did not want it to end. A shooting star had me wishing for a return before too long.

The MK staff were effusive yet understated, and by the end of our 5-day stay, we felt as if we were in the company of friends. Our heartfelt thanks to Pauline, Andrew, Omar, Mouna, Fauzi, Rahul, Abdul, Simone, Fatiha, Maryemm and Hasnaa - for taking such good care of us and making our trip truly special.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank KarenChan47
Hatfield, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2010

My wife and i went to Marrakech for our one year wedding anniversary and stayed at Maison MK. I booked online and promptly received an email from Paul advising me of my stay. It was excellent service even before we got there.

He arranged the transfers to and from the airport, advised me of the food on offer and Gastro MK and offered us dinner on first night. We accepted realising we well arrive in Marrakech at 7.30pm and it always difficult looking for food in a new city when you have just landed. It was an excellent experience, brilliant food. Wife is vegatarian and she was well catered for. At 120euros between us is steep but in london you would easily pay in the region of £200 for this meal.

The next morning we were greeted by the staff and they arranged booking at restaurants they believed were good to eat at for dinner and places to go during the day. It was our anniversary night and Paul arranged flowers to be sent to the room for my wife and complimentary bottle of Cava which was an excellent thought.

The rooms are modern and contempary, but Marrakechi design throughout. They are well lit with beautiful bathrooms. There is no television (but thats perfect) instead they have a music system which either plays chill out music or they provide an ipod with music on it which you can listen to you on place your own ipod. Its a unique experience but really does make you feel relaxed from the hussle and bussle outside. They provide a mobile phone with credit in case you get lost (no douubt you will as its impossible not to in the medina) or need some information. Other small details included hot coffee left outside your door in the morning, So whilst you shower and get ready you can fresh coffee in the morning prior to breakfast.

Breakfast is on the roof terrace. Again its elegant and comtempary. Excellent to start your day. They alternate between Morrocan and French breakfast every other day and choice of eggs. Its unique and fresh food. Away with the fry-ups.

The riad also arranged a day trip for us to the Atlas Mountains which is well worth it and we used their private 4x4 provided with a driver.

I have travelled most of the world from Far East to Africa to South America and stayed in the grottiest to the most up-market hotels ever built. This place is a gem. Its pricey but its worth, your other half will be wowed.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple