“just very nice”
Review of Dar Zelda

Dar Zelda
Ranked #255 of 500 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed 3 January 2010

very chic and nice, some of the rooms are decorated with preety much style, hudge bathtubs, great great roof terrass, owner michel really cool gave us good tips about the good restaurants during the long conversation hours on the terrass

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 27 November 2009

We stayed 4 nights at Dar Zelda and it quickly became a home away from home. The staff was very welcoming and helpful, amazing terrace to have your breakfast or to chill when the sun gets too hot in the medina! Make sure to put "having dinner at Dar Zelda" as a must on your list! 5-8 minute-walk through the medina to the Jeema el-Fna.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 April 2009

I've been for 3 times in marrakech. i love it and all those 3 times i stayed at DAR ZELDA.
Fantastic and charming Riad in the Medina where you can relax ,enjoy and have such a nice staff to take care of you and to assure all that you need.
I recommended to all my friends and even my mother went there this last week with me and she told me that she will return for sure....me too!!!!
i will all recommended to all of you...and then please share with me this fantastic experience that is Marrakech and DAR ZELDA.
Don't miss breakfast at the terrasse or at night to enjoy the african sky....

• Stayed: April 2009
Reviewed 31 March 2009

Fantastic riad! Would recommend very highly.
Astute, very professional staff, even dealing with demanding American clients!
Hope to return next fall.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 January 2009

We have stayed twice now in Dar Zelda, the first time in the Africane room & the second time in The Tatoui suite, both of which are gorgeous. We really love Dar Zelda and intend staying there again when we return to Marrakech!

If you are looking for a personal experience in the Medina, then this is a great place to stay. In particular, Michel, Moustafa & Fatima are wonderful! Michel has lived in Marrakech for a long time, is so kind & gracious & has wonderful advice on the city. Moustafa & Fatima, who together are the breakfast crew, are absolutely lovely and are so genuine in their hospitality.

The downside can come if you are expecting everything to be done exactly when you want it, you may be disappointed. Things move at their own pace, as is true in Morocco in general. Also, Nouradine who is Michel's right hand man, is very nice but can be a little flaky. For e.g. we requested in advance to be picked-up on arriving in Marrakech and he sent a taxi driver and then we had to haggle with a boy with a cart for the how much it cost to have had him to carry our luggage (we had assumed this was included in the price of the transfer). This was not professional, as the riad has their own SUV.

However, that is the only problem we have had in 2 stays, and as far as we're concerned, it is one we can live with as we absolutely love Dar Zelda, it's kind staff and you can't beat it's proximity to everything! You will get a level of service & hospitality that is genuine and makes you feel like you are home. It is a beautiful place, a real oasis. In fact, we love it so much, that we are trying to recreate it's decor in our own home!

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank mtb7
Reviewed 7 June 2008

We really liked this riad. The design is sophisticated and modern while at the same time comfortable and homey. The website probably makes it look a little more pristine than it actually is, as there were a few messy spots in the common areas and the white cushions on the roof could have used a washing. We really loved our room. We booked one of the smaller rooms, and they upgraded us to a great suite with an amazing huge bathtub, a bath in which was a highlight of our stay. The location was great for us - it's just a tiny bit off of the main tourist path, near the Museum of Marrakech. Takes about 10-15 minutes to walk though the souks to get to the main plaza (less at night when the streets are empty and more if you get lost). The staff was friendly and laid back, and there aren't a lot of services offered. Most of the time we were there, there wasn't anyone around that spoke English, but you could call the director on his cell phone. There was also a computer you could use for internet.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mhmhmhmh
Reviewed 25 February 2008

After a terrible week at work I decided to throw caution to the wind and book a last minute flight to Morocco. I had heard so many glowing reports from this popular North African country, and as I had travelled in the East and South of the continent I thought I’d give the north a go. Only 3 hours from London I couldn’t wait to experience the cultural change of what would usually only be sufficient in flight times to reach Eastern Europe.

I was, however, much to the frequent questions and constant frowns from friends and family, travelling alone. I had done this a few times before and had mixed feelings about it. Yet as most of my friends were ‘obliged’ to travel with their other halves, especially over Valentines Day, I thought I’d brave it alone and make the adventure for myself!

I have always found that when travelling toute seul its best to afford some luxury in case things go really wrong. I therefore, on the recommendation from two friends at work, decided to stay in the beautiful Dar Zelda Riyad in the Medina, just a 5 minute walk through the maze of colourful souks to the bustling chaotic square that is the Jemaa El Fna.

I was greeted at the airport by a kind looking man, Nourdine, holding a ‘Dar Zelda’ sign, a good start I thought! He instantly jumped up and shook my hand when I introduced myself in my basic school French. I was then whisked away in a cool air-conditioned 4x4, as I looked on smugly at the waves of tourists being herded on to crowded tour buses.

Arriving at the Riyad after negotiating the death defying allies of the medina I walked into an oasis of calm. The cool courtyard provided relief from the heat outside, and I was sat down and instantly given traditional mint tea by its owners, Michel, a charismatic and warm hearted Frenchman, and Brandon, a delightful and welcoming American from South Carolina who to my great relief had efficiently confirmed my booking over the phone in English when I was fretting about how do it in French or even worse Arabic!

The rooms are each individually tailored and given their own unique names like Chambre Carbone, and Chambre Afriquaine. Traditional lamps and furniture form the Souks adorn the rooms, and bathrooms in their soapstone features added to the overall feeling that I couldn’t have been further away from the my pokey flat in West London.

As there was no travelling companion to plan my adventures with I decided to get out there and J.D.I (Just do it!) A haggling person myself I loved sitting In the shops discussing the price of beautiful camel skin bags for at least an hour whilst all the time saying to myself ‘let him agree to my price and not the other way round!’ Alas, I agreed to his and we shook hands, both with beaming smiles after our cultural exchange.

I have often found that lone travellers can quickly be ignored by staff at the accommodation you are staying at. You fade into the background, and at some of the worst places I have stayed you even begin to feel like you’re in the way. Not so at Dar Zelda. I was given sound advice when planning my itinerates, and was invited to dine with Michele and his friends whenever possible. When tours were organised for the guests I was asked to join in by Nourdine who had become my constant mentor and comedian of a local guide. He took us to the markets and out of the medina to the mountains and even got us into Richard Branson’s Riyad to have a look around!

The food in Morocco is a wonderful blend of herbs and spices and a pleasant assault to the senses. A vegetable tagine is a must as well as the freshly squeezed orange juice which is served by eager stall vendors in the Jemaa El Fna. At the Riyad, breakfast was served promptly each morning with fresh coffee and croissants. In the evening if you wanted to retreat from the Marrakech madness, dinner was served at whatever time you wanted, no menu required.

After 9 days I left feeling refreshed yet sad to leave. I had not only had an amazing time in this colourful and vibrant country but had made some amazing friends. I am now planning my next trip out. Thank you to all at Dar Zelda for making such a memorable experience and making me feel so welcome. Shukran!

A Night at Dar Zelda starts from €69 including breakfast, though prices change according to season. Visit [--] for more information.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled solo