“Comfy home in 16th century riad”
Review of Dar Abiad

Dar Abiad
Ranked #379 of 500 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed 24 March 2013

We were welcomed with mint tea and cake, after a long trip from the States. We were picked up at the airport, so we didn't have to try to find the place, which I recommend! (Cost of 20 euros was worth it). Karim upgraded our room from the small family room to a nice suite with loft, for no extra charge! The decor was great... Palatial heavy wooden doors, great chandeliers, fireplace. Wi if worked as soon as you stepped out of the bedroom, or on the upper floor. Yummy and extensive continental breakfasts, and mint tea anytime. Karim was very helpful with directions, and restaurant suggestions. (We loved the Dar es Salam restaurant on my daughter's birthday)
Great value, and homey atmosphere in a very exotic place!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 4 February 2013

We arrived - extremely late at night, (in the dimly lit alleys if you don't know what to expect you would be possibly thinking you'd made a mistake but do not be fooled - you could not be more wrong) From the moment that solid wooden door swings open you are in the most beautiful, most serene, candlelit courtyard complete with mosiac tiled plunge pool, every doorway of the courtyard shimmering with voile drapes shimmering and dancing in the candlelight all of which is reflected in the gorgeous plunge pool.
Even taking the time of night into account, they had prepared a fabulous tagine meal for us with Mezze in honour of our Wedding Anniversary - accompanied with the Champagne we had bought at Duty Free, in their truly beautiful authentic candlelit courtyard - it felt like Michelin Star Dining.
The riad is staffed with the most welcoming friendly "family" who make you feel you are at home and welcome to pad around as if you own the place - Jamal and Karim are so discreet, you never know they are there but they minute you feel you need them, like magic (without having to rub your magic lamp) they appear to help, serve, assist in any way they can. The ladies of the Riad, again, artists of discretion, also welcoming, busy cleaning, treating you in the hamman, cooking for you all with a smile - language is no barrier to being or feeling part of their family, and certainly not from being welcomed and looked after.
We stayed in the Suite Chocolat - part of Riad 2, with it's own private stair case to the roof terrace and sun loungers, also with a private balcony housing a comfy lounge sofa and small fridge overlooking the riad 2 courtyard (the one with the central font) The suite has the most beautiful en-suite tadelakt bathroom - the bath with shower truly looks like something from Arabian nights.
Nothing is brand new, but this adds to the beauty - every piece in it from lampshades, mirrors, chairs, drapes, bedding, seating areas gives the impression that they have been lovingly and thoughtfully chosen and you can feel or imagine the history of any particular piece, you know whoever sat in the chair before you also fell in love with Riad Dar Abiad.
We were lucky enough to see around all the rooms/suites except the Violets (i think Riad 3 was out of use and their courtyard seemed neglected) but all the rooms have their own beauty and charm - the Suite Beber has a bath in the traditional Morroccan window which if you dare you can bathe whilst staring at the stars.
We enjoyed the use of their own hamman, not only did my husband and i get exfoliated and scrubbed from scalp to toe, i also had my hair done in a french plait as a treat from one of the ladies, not because i asked or paid for it but simply because she wanted to!
The breakfasts prepared for you are something else, pancakes, fresh bread, cake, yoghurts, jams, fresh orange juice, hot milk and coffee. Again, we felt so at home that we just used to pad around in our bath robes for breakfast, home from home but so so much better being spoiled and looked after!
It was also my husbands 40th birthday and they kindly arranged a celebration cake for him - awesomely delicious cake to, and the decoration " Happy A0th Birthday " - 4 to A, a simple lost in translation actually made it more special, more of a one-off.
Jamal and Karim are happy to advise you on how to spend your day, accompany you on your first venture out to make sure you can navigate the alleys and find your way back home, keep you right on how much you should expect to pay for taxis etc., where to buy your wine if you are inclined! They are a god-send to the owner of this beautiful riad.
We hope to be back again with you all some day, as a couple, and with our extended family to. We thank you Dar Abiad for the most amazing stay and memories.

Room Tip: Take the Chocolat Suite - the common area at the plunge pool is fabulously pretty for sitting but so...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 January 2013

We spent 1 week i Marrakech, it was our first time in Marocco: we were looking for a romantic and traditional Riad. We decided for Dar Abiad after having looked at the review and.. it was a charming experience. Dar Abiad is a very authentic place. Karim and Jamal have been really very kind: welcomed us and gave us suggestions and support during all our stay also for restaurant, visit and excursions. Breakfast was super, mint tea always available and on new year's eve they arranged only for us a very good traditional dinner at the fireplace, with candles and flowers. We also made an hammam treatment inside the Riad.
What a wonderful experience, we recommend it :-)

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 January 2013

I just came back and I can say jamal and Karim are very good hosts !
They welcome us with mint tea and cakes .The best mint tea ever!
We had Fresh breakfast every morning . Very very delicious .
The riad is full of character ! It's exactly what I want it. We stayed in a Berbere suite with real fire place ! It was so cosy every evening coming back to our room and warming up on the front of the fire because nights in January are cold .
Everything was just more than perfect ! If I go one day again I will definitely stay at dar abiad !

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed 30 December 2012

Jamal & Karim could not have made out stay here any better! First time travellers to Morocco, my husband and I were looking for a little bit of R&R in the lead up to Christmas. I searched high and low for a Riad with a pool, fireplace, bath and rooftop access [not picky much!] and managed to find Dar Abiad through a google search which satisfied all the criteria.

I was a little doubtful about the quality as the price was so cheap but was relieved when we arrived. We had the Berbere room - a lovely double suite, with a private staircase to the rooftop terrace and a gorgeous bathroom with a marble bath that had a french window which opened out to a lovely view.

The service was unbeatable, Karim met us away from the Riad after our transfer dropped us off and walked us there. He organised an amazing customised 2 day tour with an associate [with no pressure whatsoever] cooked two incredibly delicious meals [we are both vegetarians but he rose to the challenge - the best food we had all trip] organised a guide to take us to and from our Riad at night when we went out for dinner, ensured the clothes I had bought with me got laundered when I didn't have access to an iron, lit a fire for us at our request, and was generally so easy going and SO hospitable I felt like pinching myself. I didn't feel anything I asked for was too much. Oh and when I wanted a hot bath and I used all the hot water up having a shower he helped my husband carry buckets and buckets of hot water up to our room to pour into the bath ! [I felt a little spoilt at that point]

The riad itself is lovely, we didn't get to look at the other rooms but it was very spacious altogether. We drank the bountifully supplied tea on the rooftop and breakfasted near the pool on the lower floor, sat and read in many of the little sitting areas available whilst petting one of the friendly cats that came in and out as they pleased! Wifi was sporadic initially but again they fixed this when asked. Breakfast was enormous and kept us going for a lot of the day. The room got very cold at night but had an inbuilt heater so that was adequate.

I found navigation to be confusing in the Medina but Karim drew us a map and gave us a few tips - the Riad is quite well located, right in the heart of the old town so you really feel it's a completely authentic experience. About a 10 min walk to the square, however taking a taxi was really simple and cheap [about 2 EU] Jamal offered to meet us at the Taxi rank and walk us back to the Riad a few times just to make sure we wouldn't get lost.

The Riad may need a little bit of TLC but overall such a warm vibe and made what I'm sure can be quite an intense experience a little easier.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Seisarag
Reviewed 17 December 2012

I have stayed here before but my husband has never been to Marrakech, we stayed in the chocolate suite for our honeymoon which was lovely, we were greated by mint tea and cake, a bottle of wine and rose petals in our room, Karim and Jamal (i hope i spelt this right!) were lovely and made the trip so pleasurable and showed us where to go regularly, we will be back again! I advise people to stay here it is a little way out for the square but that is what we liked so we could realx away from the crowds too, the best of both worlds! If the medina is too confusing a taxi ride to nearby Bab Taghzout is cheap and worth the experience, the small yellow taxis are the best value!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Becky_Tamsyn
Reviewed 24 August 2012

The service was just great... Jamal y Karim (I hope I spelled their names correctly) were the best hosts ever, really kind, and helpful. They even offered to guide us through the streets of Medina , which can be a little bit confusing for tourists. The house is just beautiful, perfect for resting after long days in the city. They even cooked a mouthwatering special dinner in our last day... just perfect. The Riad is really confortable, with big, confortable and beautifullly decorated rooms. Don't forget to ask for tha story of the cats... you'll learn to love them.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family