“Charming Riad in a fantastic location”
Review of Riad 58 Blu

Riad 58 Blu
Ranked #33 of 499 Hotels in Marrakech
London
“Charming Riad in a fantastic location”
Reviewed 5 March 2012

We got back from a 3 day stay at the Riad 58 Blu at the end of February. We had a fantastic time at the Riad 58 Blu - Paulo, Mohammed and Ismail were charming hosts and the attention to detail was really fabulous. The rooms are well appointed and the rose petals scattered each day on the bed and in the bathroom were nice touches! Breakfast on the terrace was lush and tranquil, a great way to start the day before the madness of the main square or the souks.

1 Thank ASolanki

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Towcester
Reviewed 29 February 2012

We stayed here in February. My husband booked the Riad, I had planned to go to one of the resorts and just visit the town centre and souks.

Having not been to a Riad before I had nothing to compare it to. The hosts were very nice and helpful and the room was very clean. Note the main doors are not that secure (there is a safe in the room) and the room was very chilly at night (it was February) as there is a large gap at the bottom of the door. We did put the heating on, but it was very noisy so had to switch it off before we went to sleep. The bathroom was spacious, but no plug for the bath so after a day in the Atlas mountains only a shower. Note: the hot water does run out, especially in the morning. so get up early! The Riad is very open and you can here everything going on, we were there at the same time as 4 italian ladies, who were all very nice, but could here everything they were saying at 7.00am one morning when they were having breakfast. Also,someone smoking in the evening, the smoke drifted up and straight into the bedroom. The breakfasts are lovely, although high on carbs! I would have got fed up by the end of the week as there was no variety, some fruit would have been lovely.

One thing that put me off a bit was the old magazines around the riad which had faded in the sun and were very old and tatty. It didn't add to the ambience.

Location was excellent and only about 5 mins walk to the main square and souks. You need to watch the mopeds and cycles through the narrow sheets. Mohammed took us to the main square the first time to show us where to go and took us to a restaurant he knew for lunch. Note: a lot of the restaurants don't serve alcoholic drinks we found the Kozy Bar which did and has a lovely view over the town.

Mohammed was kind enough to organise a driver to the Atlas mountains which I would recommend a lovely day out. Although you can stop where you want, the driver does have places he visits where you can buy things. We went to the berber pharmacie which I found very interesting and we actually bought some products. Unfortunately when I got home was unable to find their website!

Unfortunately nothing in Marrakesh is free....bear this in mind. I was even chased as someone thought I had taken a photo in the main square and I had to show them my camera to prove I hadn't.

We enjoyed the souks you get used to the banter, we would have spent a fortune, but were put off not being able to browse. We didn't eat in the main square on Mohammeds recommendation and stayed to places that were off the main square. We tried the Tangier (near to the Kozy Bar) and the Portofino Restaurant near where the carriages line up.

We did the open top bus - good if you want to take photos without being chased! It was good to see the new city and get an idea of the whole area.

Overall we had a lovely break, the Riad served our purpose and the staff were more than friendly. Not sure if I would go back to Marrakesh, glad we went to see a totally different culture. The only night I felt a bit uneasy was Sunday night when a lot of the locals came out and there was a real party atmosphere in the square, it was very busy and we were very aware we were tourists.

I would recommend the Riad if you want somewhere near to the main square.

Room Tip: Rooms on second floor a bit bigger and more privacy
1 Thank TheAustinsTowcester
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 25 February 2012

The Riad was lovely to stay at for 3 nights in February 2012. We had the Emerald room on the ground floor and enjoyed the beautiful stained glass windows, Moroccan lamps and indivual bathroom design. THe room is spacious and well apointed.

We experienced excellent care and attention from all of the staf, Paulo was the charming host and owner of the Riad.... he also provided good recommendationns of where to go shopping and to eat , but also Ismail and Mohammed. Mohammed was kind enough to walk us to the main square on our first day there to make sure we knew our way through the maze of streets, he took us to a lovely fairly priced place for lunch and provided may good recommendatoin for dining locatons. we even ended up going out wiht Mohammed one night experience the local sights and sounds......!!

Breakfast is served each morning on the roof terrace - pastries, fresh juice, and tea/coffee and always with a kind smile from Ismail

The riad itself is expertly run, nothing being too much trouble, and all staff were friendly and attentive. IT is a quiet location away from the hustle and bustle of Marrakesh and yet slap right bang in the centre of it all. If you want a central location and friendly times... then this is the place for you!!

London, UK
Reviewed 17 February 2012

The Riad was lovely to stay at for 3 nights. We had the Ruby room on the ground floor and enjoyed the comfortable furnishings, beautiful stained glass windows, intricate carvings, and fresh roses.
What made the stay particularly enjoyable was the excellent care given to us by Ismail and Mohammed. Ismail was kind enough to walk us to the main square on our first night to ensure we learned our way through the maze of streets, recommend a good restaurant for dinner, and point out a good bureau de change. He also served up a great breakfast each morning on the terrace - pastries, fresh juice, and tea/coffee. Mohammed also made good dinner recommendations, arranged for a day trip to the Atlas Mountains with an English speaking driver and Berber guide to the Cascades, and coordinated our airport transfers.
The hotel was very nice - a real haven from the hustle and bustle of Marrakesh. The riad was clean, linens were lovely, and staff was friendly and attentive. There were only two shortcomings - the room was a bit dark in the evenings and the heating/cooling was a bit loud when it switched on and off. Neither, however, put a damper on our stay. All in all, a great hotel.

London
Reviewed 7 February 2012

I usually don't go back to places where i had a great previous experience, but i wanted to visit Marrakesh again and i thought i would go and stay to Riad 58 Blu because of the good memories.
The second time was even better than the first one.
The reception as usual was fantastic Paolo the owner was there to receive me and remembered me from the previous stay.
As usual he was friendly and gave me all the information i needed for the places i wanted to see this time around.
Mohammed the manager is always lots of fun and very helpful.
My room was the Emerald room on the ground floor, much more spacious than the one i had before, beautifully decorated and full of characters.
Breakfast on the terrace, overlooking the Medina was the perfect start of the day.
Great fantastic home made pastries and other food was served every day.
I can't stop recommending this riad to anyone who wants to be in the heart of this bustling city and find a peaceful corner for your holiday.
I stayed here in January (weather too cold for my liking) but love this place.....i could go back over and over again

Room Tip: Emerald Room on the ground floor is heaven
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 December 2011

This was my first time in Morocco, firstly a Riad is not a hotel. We stayed at this Riad at the end of August 2011, we opted for a taxi ride from the airport a big mistake, we was dropped off in the middle of nowhere and the taxi driver asked a local to take us to the Riad. We only found out later that the Riad offered airport transfer (which I would recommend as it is cheaper than the taxi ride), once we found our bearings it was actually a 2 minute walk from where the taxi driver dropped us of the night before and thank god although the locals took us on a ten minute walk before in the end taking us to the Riad. We were greeted by Mohammed with a friendly smile he went out of his way to look after us throughout our entire 10 day stay in the end we felt like family.

Mohammed was a true gentlemen who looked out for us throughout our stay recommending where to eat and where to go and where not to go as well as advising were to buy gifts from that would be cheaper than actually buying it from presents from Marrakesh which were also of poor quality in the end we actually saved a lot of money.

Mohammed initially showed us our rooms and gave the normal maps and tourist information before we retired for the night. The rooms are very spacious and are very clean with very little noise from the outside, the décor is traditional Moroccan and quite comfortable.
The breakfast is fabulous you need to try Ishmael omelettes absolutely divine, breakfast is served to you while you wait the Riad staff are very engaging and make you feel comfortable straight away.

Mohammed showed us how to get to the Big Square which was a ten minute walk and informed me never to venture to deeply into the souks this turned out to be valuable information – with all the turns and identical alley’s we got lost the locals used a ploy to take us to the big square where they decided to demand 300 Dirhams we were inititally shown the route by one boy (14) when he demanded the cash out of nowhere we were surrounded by another 2 boys, not intimidated I ended up parting with 30 Dirhams as they did not realise that I spoke the local language. But this was the only negative experience which did not scar my holiday in the end it is a learning experience. Upon returning to the Riad I told Mohammed who quickly informed us that nothing in Marrakech is for free.

Mohammed was very friendly arranging all our excursions to the Atlas mountains, Quzoud valley to Essaouira and arranging private taxis to restaurants in the evening. We could re-arrange our excursions whenever we wanted although we tried not to re-arrange at the last minute as often Mohammed would book the drivers beforehand.

I must also highly praise the two girls and Ishmael who were very friendly and always tended to our every whim, they were very helpful and funny. Ishmael was a really polite, and friendly chap who would always make you feel welcome no matter what time of the day it was. We also met Paulo who actually owned the Riad, Paulo was very friendly and interesting we would often converse with Paulo telling us his stories of Morocco and Europe.

I would definitely recommend this Riad 58 Blu and Marrakech I am a avid traveller and I would can honestly say that this experience is definitely one that I will treasure. The best way to deal with any locals is polite no and continue your journey, I would recommend walking to Gueliz and definitely eat at Dino’s (desert bar).
I will definitely want to return to this place and I will recommend it to all my family and friends I still often remember the peaceful and tranquil setting of the Riad at night.

I just want to give a big thank you to all the staff at Riad 58 Blu and apologise for putting this review up late. Waleiykum assalam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh

Room Tip: I would recommend a room on the first floor and not the ground floor just a little more privacy.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CocoSultan
madrid
Reviewed 10 December 2011

Positive: the service is gentle
Negative: you book a suite with fireplace and bathtub but you can not lit one nor bath in the other (no hot water enought)
The room is very cold and the air conditionery can't cope with it & is very loud.
Finally, the linnen has several holes in it.
Definetly is not the place for winter time, maybe in summer is better. But anyway very very expensive for what you get.
I couldn't stay more than one night and need to move to other place.

• Stayed December 2011