Dar Titrit
  • Pool
US$111
US$104
Agoda.com
All reviewsairport picknice breakfasthighly recommend this riadstay there againfresh orange juicerooftop terracenaimahostsjamsmedinataxi
Reviewed 12 October 2013

I have just come back from a long weekend in Marrakesh with a friend and I could not have been happier with our choice. It is situated in walking distance from the major sights but still really quiet and peaceful away from the noisy souks.
We stayed in the twin room, it was lovely and clean, the breakfast was generous and really tasty and most of it was homemade. It felt really authentic.
The staff and owners were really nice and helpful.
On our first day, Annie and Fabien sat down with us and gave us loads of useful tips about the area and directions to the main landmarks.

I will definitely recommend it.

Room Tip: Make sure you take a tour of the sun roof. At the end of the day they are lovely to relax.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 January 2012

We very much were looking forward to staying at this place as I had done my homework and read so many different reviews for so many different riads
I chose this place as it sounded friendly, quiet and reasonable and the rooms looked lovely, too!

Unfortunatley the whole experience of the place was just bizarre and I found one of the owners quite rude...more to follow.

The place was beautiful and the rooms were lovely. Yes, the drains smelled but it was not a biggie, I've travelled a lot and have had worse. We opened the windows which kept the smell away. Sadly, every time we left the room, the windows were quickly closed, We kept re-opening but I guess they did not get the point.

Anyway, that's it for the rooms, as I said, I think they were lovely.

Now..the bad things.. I speak French, a little bit! So I tried my best to communicate with the owner. He made no effort when it came to speaking english and I was also mocked for my french skills - not good enough apparently. I've lived in France and have always got by.

During our stay, the owner's daughter was staying in the Riad with a small child. As the Riad is quite small, it has a very intimate feel and we often felt out of place as they totally took over the court yard and the "pool" and there was not much for the peace and quiet that I was after. In fact, I felt a bit embarrased seeing a family member dipping herself in the pool butt naked. Not that I'm a prude but just felt like I should not be seeing that and that maybe I was staying at the wrong place at the wrong time.

When the family were not there, we sometimes quickly ran to the splash pool but no matter how quiet we tried to be, the owner always came out to have a look and we felt very watched and uneasy. We then took the hint and enjoyed the roof terrace which was amazing and more secluded. Just don't take your breakfast up there, you will get frowned at and hear a lot of sighing (all though the maids were very lovely and helpful). Breakfast will need to be eaten under watchful eyes. Awkward. Breakfast is very tasty though.

What really ruined my holiday was how we were treated when the owner found out we had kept some oranges in our room that were bought in a shop. I actually got shouted at in french for keeping fruit in our room. My jaw dropped. I just didn't see the problem - we were in Morocco and why could we not enjoy some oranges?! Apparently because they attract flies. Ha! Hmm..Yet they had oranges in their own kitchen that were never offered to the guests. In fact, no food was offered for the guests. You had to leave the Riad to be able to enjoy some food or a piece of fruit. Ridiculous. There is no fridge in the room and when we asked to use theirs in the kitchen in order to keep water cold etc. they got very angry again. After the Orange incident our stuff from the fridge was promptly returned back to our room. We could not believe it. Don't expect to have anything to be kept cold in your room.

We felt so bad and mistreated that we left a day early. We are always polite and respectful and paid the full price - but to be actually shouted at over a piece of fruit was beyond me. We went to another Riad nearby for 1 night and the feel was totally different and more relaxed, they allowed their guests to enjoy simple things! Wish we could have stayed there from the beginning. I would not give Dar Titrit any stars but if I didn't think all the bad stuff that happened, the place was in a good location, it was kept tidy and it was well looked after.

I just don't know to whom to recommend the place - maybe if you are out and about all day and just use the place for sleeping? I guess then I could recommend it to you and of course, if you are French and used to the general rudeness. It really did leave a bad taste in my mouth.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
7  Thank MimiSaar
Reviewed 28 March 2010

We have just come back from spending a wonderfully relaxing week at Dar Titrit. The welcome from Annie (sadly Fabien was called away) was unsurpassable and we couldn't have felt more at home. We will sadly miss our evening 'apero' and putting the world to rights with Annie. The riad is lovely and airy with a terrace to soak up the sunshine, a must for those people looking for a home from home close to the souks and the Place Jemaa al Fna.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank FranglaisUk
Reviewed 22 February 2010

Dar Titrit (www.dar-titrit.com) is very well located, small, quiet, clean; a great place to go back to after a long stroll in the streets of medina. I appreciated owner's quick response to my last moment email enquiry; freedom to leave and return at any time; tasty breakfast; aircon/heater and Annie's patience with our long forgotten French :-)

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 March 2009

My friend & I stayed in the twin room, Leila, for 4 nights. Fabien arranged a hotel transfer for us, and met the taxi at the road closest to the riad - so no problems getting there! The rooms were beautiful, very comfortable, spacious and very clean. I haven't uploaded any photos as the photos on the website are 100% accurate (www.dar-titrit.com).
Agree with everything the previous reviewer said - location fantastic (10 mins to Djemaa el Fna - but very peaceful away from the hustle and bustle of the medina). Occasionally the drains were a little smelly but compared to some other toilets we encountered on our trip, it wasn't really an issue.
Fabien and Annie were lovely hosts, and provided a yummy breakfast in the morning . Their english was limited - but it was way better than my french!!!!
All in all, Dar Titrit really is a hidden gem & should be higher up in the ranking than what it is.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with friends