“Maybe it's me!”

Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Maybe it's me!”
Reviewed 20 March 2013

I am quite easily pleased when it comes to food. I generally eat anything, and am certainly not a food snob because I wouldn't know how to be. I've been brought up on traditional British food like curry, chilli, lasagne and Thai green curry, you know - tasty food with spices and variety from around the world. If your like me you will find Moroccan food very tasteless in comparison.

This place was truly awful. It is very difficult to find being at the end (dead end) of a very dark series of alleys ways. The restaurant décor is very nice like most of the Riad style restaurants but the first thing you will notice are the cats. Six tables in the courtyard with three of them set for eating when we arrived. The other three were populated by cats, including the cats food bowls on one table. Nothing against cats just don't want them sat at my table with me when I'm eating.

Next the WC, is unbelievably a toilet cubicle right off the dining courtyard, and by the end of the night there is a smell emanating from it. The noise from it is also quite disturbing. Probably the most embarrassing WC set up I have seen in a restaurant.

I started with an amazingly bland soup, do they not use salt in their cooking?

I had Lamb Tangine with almonds and prunes to follow which was okay, quite sweet but sadly lacking in the lamb department! My wife had chicken citrus (lemon). She said it was awful and gave me a piece to try. I have to say it is the closest I have come to being sick in a restaurant ever. It was rancid.

Forget the pretentious and cursory washing of hands prior to the meal and concentrate on washing the kitchen and the food!!

This is apparently a well known restaurant, but clearly living off past and sadly redundant glories. French owned so recommended by a lot of French hotel and Riad owners who clearly haven't been for a while.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Dave A

Copenhagen, Denmark
“overrated”
Reviewed 13 April 2012

Another simple and too sweet stew with very rough and bad meat.

• Visited April 2012
2 Thank michael c
Namur, Belgium
“Excellent service, great taste of Moroccan cuisine”
Reviewed 7 March 2012

A bit tricky to find, easiest way is to follow the signs to Dar Si Said and then spot Dar Mima's signboard. The atmosphere is cosy and relaxing. I do not like milk but love the traditional Moroccan welcome of milk with orange flower essence and dates and handrinsing tradition, The food is lovely and the service is great. Tanjia marrkchia and chicken cousous are not to be missed.

• Visited February 2012
London
“Typical and good local food”
Reviewed 14 January 2012

This restaurant is hard to fine but worth the search.
Very typical atmosphere with dishes different from the other places like the chicken trid or the milk pastillla. Very good!
Dar Mima only opens from 8pm.

• Visited January 2012
London
“Lovely authentic food”
Reviewed 8 August 2011

We had dinner here on our first night in Marrakesh in June 2011 after reading about it in our Rough Guide. After going down a dark alley and finding a shut door, we weren't too sure what to expect but once inside it's a lovely place. We had Moroccan salad to start and then tangines which were the best we had during our 3 night stay. The tables are set in a riad courtyard, making it a lovely place to sit and relax. The staff spoke just a little English but were extremely friendly. The service was excellent - I'd definitely recommend eating here.

• Visited June 2011