“A Riad that comes with a P.A”
Review of Riad Elizabeth

Riad Elizabeth
Ranked #202 of 500 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed 21 October 2013

When I first checked into this Riad, never in my wildest dreams did I expect to have a P.A to hand (even when I checked out to stay in another hotel!). This wonderful person was Samira. She booked all our restaurants, our taxis and all our trips. A simple text to Samira and Omar (The Man!) our taxi driver extraordinaire would appear out of nowhere in the busy Marrakech Medina. I could stand anywhere on the road and he would find me!

The Owners of the Riad are Elizabeth and John. Elizabeth is known as Lady E (she is rather posh but very down to earth!). Suave John is her other half who likes to mingle with the guests at breakfast wearing a different designer outfit everyday. Whilst we were there Eid was being celebrated and John kindly offered to show us some sheep being slaughtered. I am telling you now, you wouldn't get that personal touch in a large hotel chain!

After 4 nights stay we checked into a five star hotel which sadly didn't have the same service. After my sister discovered she was sharing her shower with a live toad we made the decision to make a quick exit, although we had nowhere to go. I phoned Samira who told us to return to the Riad the following morning. Our useless taxi driver dropped us in the centre of Marrakech and after another call to Samira, John and herself arrived to drive us back to the Riad. So we stayed here for another 3 nights! We went to another hotel for our 2 final nights and Samira was still sorting out our trips and restaurant bookings-what a result!

So the moral of the story is-big does not always mean better! Don't waste your time looking at other Riads and large hotels like I did, and just book it!

Oh, and don't forget to pack your earplugs as the Medina can be quite noisy!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 15 October 2013

This riad was exactly what we were looking for and more. The excellent service started from the moment we booked with an e-mail from John and Elizabeth asking us if we'd like to make any arrangements in advance (a pick-up from the the airport, dinner at the riad the first evening, various recommended trips and experiences). When we arrived the manager Samira met us and gave us an introduction to the riad and her mobile number in case we needed anything. Restaurants were recommended to us, taxis arrranged to pick us up and we were walked to a neaby restaurant by the night porter to ensure we found it ok (Le Foundouk, also highly recommended). Nothing was too much trouble and we felt very spoilt.
The riad is beautful and well-kept. The location is excellent, in the medina so close to the souks and about a 15 min walk to the main square (Jemaa el-Fna). It was down a small side street so out of the hustle and bustle, and on the roof terrace in the afternoon sunshine it was peaceful and calm.
Unfortunately on the last night my boyfriend became ill however again everyone at the riad was extremely accommodating, offering to get medicine from the pharmacy, bringing bottled water, then providing us with a spare room after we'd checked out so he could rest.
This was the best service I have experienced at a hotel, with the personal touch making all the difference.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Olivia room which was quiet at night and had a beautiful open fire which would be p...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank scubagirlUk
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Riad Elizabeth is a perfect place to stay while in Marrakech. It is small, welcoming and very relaxing. The staff are all extremely friendly were always ready to help. It was my first time in Marrakech and I was there for business primarily. I was made to feel very at home at the Riad which made my whole experience extremely enjoyable. The rooms are spacious and stylish and the terrace is a wonderfully tranquil place (ideal for the very tasty breakfast!)

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Beautiful, tranquil & tastefully decorated Riad in the Medina within easy walking distance of the souk. Great place to stay. John & Elizabeth are excellent hosts and Samira, their highly efficient manageress, a minefield of information and always ready to help with a smile. They all offer incredible support to ensure a happy and pleasant stay. All the staff are brilliant and if we do ever return to Marrakech there is no doubt that Riad Elizabeth will be our first and only choice.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 October 2013

We spent 5 nights at Riad Elizabeth and were very happy with the whole experience. The hotel is small and intimate and the owners are probably the most obliging hotel owners we have ever met. They and their excellent manageress Samira arranged our excursions to perfection, tailored exactly to our wishes. Nothing was too much trouble. We had a very comfortable room and the food is excellent. There are also some very good restaurants within walking distance. We had an excellent local guide (Yuseff) who spoke first class English and is very knowledgeable on the city. We would strongly recommend him also. All in all a great experience and one we will be pleased to repeat.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Roger T
Reviewed 4 October 2013

At last a trip to Marrakesh after many years longing to see and experience it! Riad Elizabeth was the perfect base for my daughter and I to make various sorties into the wonderful experience that is Marrakesh! All the staff and the owners were so supportive, full of interesting anecdotes and recommendations of places and restaurants to visit. The staff were always on hand to provide an escort to a restaurant and organise our way home and we felt safe and supported at all times.
The restaurant recommendations were so good, dining under the stars on a roof terrace or in the middle of the night market.... not to be missed. Our guide Hamza was so interesting and made our journey through the Souk and past places of interest a real delight.
It was really enjoyable to meet John and Elizabeth and chat with them at breakfast.... I felt as if they were friends. Samira their wonderful manager was full of life and energy and had the information needed for a great stay at her fingertips and if not she would very quickly find it and always with a big smile!!
Hope I will be back in Marrakesh soon

Room Tip: All the Riad rooms are beautifully decorated and comfortable
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Gay C
Reviewed 2 October 2013

My mother and I travelled to Marrakech for a 3 night stay, to fulfil a long-held dream of hers to experience the culture, people and food of this vibrant city. On my in-law's recommendation, I booked the Riad Elizabeth for our stay and for the 6 months preceding our trip, I received many useful and informative emails from the owners, John and Elizabeth, suggesting both trips that we may enjoy during our stay (which they booked for us), and promptly answering the many questions I had in a friendly and relaxed way. The riad is really a home from home. The staff are charming and happy to assist. One evening we arrived back fairly late and I mentioned that I was going to buy some water from the honesty bar on the roof terrace. The night watchman said he would get us water, and when we asked for large bottles, he disappeared off for about 10 minutes. We were chatting with some other guests, so didn't notice the delay until he re-appeared through the front door, having run to the local store to purchase large bottles for us - there were only small ones in the honesty bar! Talk about five star service! John and Elizabeth were gracious hosts, relaxed and friendly and full of stories of their time in Marrakech. The manager Samira was an angel, and was available all the time for restaurant recommendations (and bookings), taxi organising and to ensure our stay was living up to expectation. It certainly did, and more. The room (we stayed in Francesca, a twin room) was roomy and nicely decorated, as is the rest of the riad. A lovely bathroom with walk-in shower and fluffy towels. The chef served up a delicious meal our first night, as we arrived late, which was a great introduction to the local cuisine. All in all, a memorable experience, and one that I hope we will be repeating again. I would not hesitate to recommend Riad Elizabeth to anyone wanting to visit Marrakech, who wants to get immersed in the culture and people of the city, but still return to an oasis of calm and relaxation.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends