“Beautiful hotel, but poor service and many of the staff were rude (not all).”

Eden Andalou Hotel Aquapark & Spa
Ranked #224 of 500 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed 4 July 2012

We stayed here over my boyfriend's Birthday, so I wanted it to be special.

I thought we'd save hassle by arranging airport transfers direct with the hotel, however when we got to the airport there was no-one there. I called the hotel and the receptionist was very rude and abruptly said they'd be there in a minute. I asked her who was picking us up (i.e. their name) and she said she didn't know, they had a lot of drivers... As this was our first visit and we arrived late in the evening, I found this bizarre and a little unsafe - I'm glad I wasn't on my own! A man who literally couldn't speak a word of basic English said in sign-language that he was taking us to the hotel (by showing us a hotel sign) and after leading us to a clapped-out jeep with no air-conditioning (it was 40 degrees plus) and it's wing mirrors cellotaped on (I'm not exaggerating), we eventually arrived at the hotel. I certainly don't expect local people to speak English when I travel, I always try to learn some basic local words before I go anywhere, but from someone picking you up from a 5-star resort? Surely basic English would be a pre-requisite? Luckily my French is ok, so we got by - this was the same across the resort, so you really need to be able to speak some French.

The hotel itself is beautiful, if a little in need of repair in parts, and we sat down to complete our reservation. The taxi driver then came over to ask for money for the transfer. Now as we can only take the equivalent of around £90 cash each into Morocco according to foreign currency regulations, I asked the receptionist if we could charge the 'taxi' to our room. She scowled at me (again, no exaggeration) and said "of course not, you need to pay in cash" - not the sort of 5-star service I'd expected...

We had a pleasant stay, our room itself was beautiful, but the service and food put me off going back. Our shower wasn't screwed into the wall properly and when we asked for it to be fixed, they literally just put it back into the wall with no fixings, very odd. The Spa is ok, not 5-star standard though and is a little dirty and in need of maintenance. The pool is freezing, but as it was very hot during our stay, we didn't mind that too much. The food was appalling, frankly, for a 3-star let alone a 5-star resort. If you like coffee, forget it! The salad at lunch had flies crawling all over it and there was no attempt to cover it up. The buffet was included in our price but we didn't bother with it after the first try, it was mostly cold and congealed with having been left for so long.

Not the worst place I've ever stayed at and in fact if they didn't advertise (and price) themselves as 5-star resort, I'm sure the reviews would be more sympathetic. We certainly won't be going back and I won't miss the sneer and rudeness of the receptionist whenever we asked her any basic questions.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kirsty S
Write a ReviewReviews (4,523)

Reviewed 18 June 2012

My wife and I have just returned from a 2 week honeymoon - the last 8 days in Morrocco, staying in this hotel. We booked it at last minute (The day before we actually flew, due to the bad weather in the UK). We arrived at the airport, having not booked a transfer to the hotel and used the local taxi service - we paid 320 DH - we knew that we would pay over the odds, you expect that in a Country that you know very little of - no complaints. The hotel was very welcoming and we were shown to our room, which was in the Rhiad Jasmina (?) - it was excellent, plenty of room and very clean. During the week, we ate each night at one of the restaraunts within the hotel, again, no complaints - some better than others, but that is the same wherever you go. Hassan took us on a trip to the gardens, camel riding and to the spice shop in the medina - well worth doing, very 'touristy' but then again, it is all about the experience. The trip to Marrackech by night is well worth a visit - a lot less hassle as we were with a guide from the hotel and there was very little in the way of feeling undue pressure to stop and buy/look at various shops and stalls. The smell in the square was fantastic and the atmosphere is something to remember. This was quiet a marked difference to our daytime visit to the medina and the souks. From the minute we were dropped off by the hotel shuttle service, we were pestered and it made for a very strange walkabout - certainly not relaxing and if anything, a certain sense of aggression from the locals. Be prepared to be hassled and have money 'demanded' from you for taking photos. We were warned not to pay anymore than 10DH to take photos of the snake charmers - they 'expect' a lot more and will not take no for an answer. The trip to the Atlas mountains, again, is well worthwhile and Mohammed, the driver was excellent and very keen to practice his English on the way. A lovely chicken and lemon tagine in the mountains made it even more perfect and at a very good price of 120DHeach for a 3 course menu. Be careful of not getting duped into buying any 'fossils' at the shop where you stop to take a look round!!!
Fortunately my wife speaks a fair bit of French - I would have struggledthrough with my pigeon French otherwise. There has been a lot mentioned about the hotel staff attitude etc - we were amazed at the negative comments, as they couldn't have been more helpful. I believe that if you make an attempt to speak their language, it goes a long way - too many British people just expect that people in their own Country should speak English. Naive and rude to say the least. We have absolutely no complaints about the staff, the rooms, the entertainment (Filou and his Michael Jackson dancing is a sight to behold!!) The 2 seperate massages that we both had were also great.

All in all, we had a lovely, peaceful (apart from the 100mph that is the medina!) break and would recommend this hotel wholeheartedly.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 16 July 2012

Dear customers,

It was very pleasant for us to discover that you had a great time in our place for your honeymoon. We also want to thank you to your kindly comments and we hope to see you again in our hotel.

Yours faithfully

Reviewed 15 June 2012

My husband and I spent 3 nights in this hotel and it was so enchanting, we didn't want to leave. The hotel itself was beautiful. The staff members including the tour guides (Youssef and Zuhair), the entertainers (Filou and his brother) and others, were ever so friendly, helpful and hospital that we didn't feel out of place, even though we didn't speak the language. We really had a beautiful time and even got a nickname (salsa couple). Would no doubt be visiting again x

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank Florence H
Reviewed 11 June 2012

My husband and I took a short weekend away in Marrakech. We found a package deal website that we used to book our trip. It had hundreds of hotels from 5 stars and lower to choose. This is where I found Eden Andalou Resort. This trip was for sitting by the pool and enjoying the markets in Marrakech. Entering the resort put my mind at ease, it was exactly how it was described and photographed on the website. The pools were fantastic, beautifully large and spacious so that no matter how many other guests there were it was still plenty big enough for swimming laps and lounging. The many cabanas provided a lovely outdoor bed to nap and hide from the sun for a while, while the sun beds were great for sunbathing. The room we had faced the pool so we could watch the sun glistening the water. The gardens were kept immaculate. But the best part of our stay in the resort had to be the friendly staff. Yussef our wonderfully attentive waiter at Les Fez inside the hotel had to be the highlight of our stay. He spoke English very well which made our stay much easier. He helped us in ordering our first Morrocan meal in Marrakech, which was beautiful. Yussef was not just our waiter in Les Fez, but our waiter for lunch which was served in a beautiful garden near the pools, perfect for a day of relaxing in the sunshine. I would and plan to go back to Marrakech and stay at Eden Andalou again. It's serene setting and quietness provided the perfect haven after a day in the busy bustling markets.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bbinuk
Reviewed 8 June 2012

My wife and I recently returned from a 4 day stay at Eden Andalou to celebrate our one year wedding anniversary. We bought a Groupon voucher and stayed for an extra night.

I’ve stayed in many resorts and hotels around the world and want to give you an honest review and apologise if this seems lengthy, but I feel you should be armed with all the facts.

I’ll cut straight to the chase, this is not a 5-star resort by accepted international standards. The fact that this 5-star resort’s Tripadvisor ranking falls into the latter half of the 436 reviewed hotels in Marrakech tells its own story. The facilities are there; an excellent pool area, a handful of restaurants, good sized rooms and a spa. Sadly the quality and standard of service is a complete let down and actually has a very negative impact on what could be an excellent resort.

First the pros:-

1. The pool area is excellent with two pools and plenty of sun loungers, albeit the pools themselves are very cold!
2. Shuttle service into Marrakech, which leaves every hour on the hour from outside the spa area. It will drop you at the Tourist Information Centre near the Djemaa El-Fna area.
3. We stayed in an Altas Suite, which is a good size room.
4. The staff are generally courteous and willing to help once you ask for something.
5. Nice and open bar for relaxing in.
6. Good for children (they are also building a kids area to the rear of the spa).
7. Quiet environment.

Cons – the SERVICE!!

1. The staff can be lethargic and are not pro-active in anyway. (See point 11 for some examples).
2. There is no actual pool service, if you want anything you have to get up and ask for it at the restaurant, although they will bring your order over to you at the pool.
3. The Altas Restaurant – a number of reviewers seem happy with this restaurant, but my experience was far from impressive. All the hot food at breakfast was cold, they made huge batches without considering the number of guests staying. As such the food could be sitting there for around two hours before you get to it. Dinner was mediocre at best, although an improvement on breakfast.
4. While rooms are a good size I was informed there are no double or king size beds, they are all twin rooms – I had to haggle with them in order for them to form the twins into a single bed.
5. Avoid the ground floor rooms surrounding the pool as they are infested with mosquitoes! Management are aware of the problem and will do nothing about it, except change your room to one on a higher level.
6. The combined bath/shower – there is no shower curtain and only a 50cm wall between the shower and the rest of the bathroom, the result is a very wet bathroom that is not designed to be a wet room.
7. The in-room safes do not always work and they will not repair it unless you wait in your room for someone to come and fix it. They won’t repair it while you are out on an excursion, although they will still provide room cleaning services while you are out.
8. Be warned there are no ironing facilities; you have to pay for the laundry service to get any clothes ironed.
9. They provide two bath towels per room, on one occasion I asked for another set as ours were still wet. After 1.5 hours they still hadn’t brought them.
10. There is no business centre – there are two kiosk computers available for use, but there is no printer. If you want to print anything (e.g. boarding passes or itineraries) you have to politely ask the staff to print it for you.
11. Sheesha at the bar. One of the reviewers has said that sheesha is readily available – sadly this not always the case. On two occasions I asked for a sheesha and was told on the first occasion that they had run out (only two were in use at the time!) and on the second that there was no coal.
12. Attitude of staff – here are three examples of extremely poor service. They will not tell you if someone is waiting for you, even if you are pottering around the reception area for 25 mins, you have to go to the desk and ask them! The second is sheer rudeness from one of the pool attendants who outright refused to get my wife a bottle of water and pointed her to the Mimosa restaurant area instead. Finally they don’t actually tell you where the shuttle bus leaves from or when it is ready to leave, you have to work this out on your own.
13. Mimosa restaurant – the lunch time food at the restaurant is not bad, however this falls into the con category because of the hygiene standards. They offer a lunch salad buffet…which is not covered, the result is that insects and birds have full access to the food you intend to eat. I even saw a sparrow perch on an orange segment and grab another piece of fruit before flying off!
14. Language – if you do not speak French or Moroccan expect communication problems with the staff.

We did not use the spa, so I cannot comment on the quality of their services or on the standards of the Italian and Morrocan themed restaurants as we only ate at the resort once for dinner. Sadly the Panoramic restaurant and bar remained closed throughout our stay.

Overall, I would only recommend this resort for families as long as they speak Moroccan or French, if neither applies to you then there are currently 223 better options in Marrakech!

It is a real shame that the staff and management of this resort do not take any real pride in the quality of service they offer to their guests. It is also clear that if they do read these reviews, they take no heed, there are no replies from management and what I have written above is echoed by numerous visitors.

If you’ve managed to read this far, then I hope this review has helped and thanks for reading! I’ll finish off by recommending Le Foundouk restaurant, which serves arguably the best lamb tagine dishes you are likely to try! If you want a more romantic setting then I recommend Gastro MK at the Maison MK riad – I would book both in advance. Dunes & Desert’s quad biking excursion is also great fun if you feel like doing something a little different.

Finally if you do intend to stay at this resort, the shuttle bus service back to the hotel stops at 20:30. If you take a cab do not pay more than 150 dirhams (even that is a rip off, but what choice do you have!).

Room Tip: Avoid ground floor level rooms as they are infested with mosquitos. Make sure you get a room the fir...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Neelesh
Reviewed 27 May 2012

My friend and I stayed at Eden Andalou in August 2011 and loved it that much we came home and booked immediately to return. in May 2012. A beautiful hotel, lovely helpful staff & a fantastic Atlas restaurant. We are currently planning to return again in July for 3 to 4 nights - I think that says it all. We also had 3 treatments at the Spa which were great value for money - Hammam (worth a try on your first day to prepare your skin for a lovely tan), massage (bliss) and a pedicure.
Two members of staff deserve a special mention - Youssef Nour, works in the Atlas restaurant and worked very hard to make sure my friend and I had everything we needed. He knew what we drank and how we liked it - which was a special touch.
The second is Filou - the entertainment manager. The hotel was very quiet but Filou worked very hard to keep the guests entertained, water aerobics through the day, dancing lessons, singing, dancing, and generally keeping everyone happy. Both of these guys are an asset to the hotel.
A couple of requests - tea/coffee making facilities in the room & a regular poolside waiter service.
Thank you Eden Andalou & see you soon.

Room Tip: We had a room that was on the ground floor, near the pool so we could return to our room really easi...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank AnneSeymour66
Reviewed 20 May 2012

This hotel is the perfect solution to distress. and have some quit moments (alone , in couples , in family or with friends) .

The service of this luxurious residence is good , there is a shuttle between the hotel and the center of town. And there are a lot of other accommodations.

I will love to welcome back to this place.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family