“I don't understand the bad reviews, this hotel was excellent value”

Eden Andalou Hotel Aquapark & Spa
Ranked #240 of 495 Hotels in Marrakech
“I don't understand the bad reviews, this hotel was excellent value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2012

Paying so little for a 5 star hotel I was concerned about what the hotel would be like, but myself and the 2 friends who I travelled with were really pleased with our stay. The room was lovely and very clean. The pool area was clean and peaceful (a few more sun shades would be good, but we could drag our loungers under a tree so this wasn't a problem). The staff were all very friendly and all spoke from basic to excellent English.

The food in the a la carte restaurant was good compared to other food that we had eaten in morocco. The buffet had a good range of dishes and contrary to what was said on other reviews I didn't see that the food was unfresh or covered in flies.

The hotel is a little far from the centre of Marrakech, but they offer a free shuttle service.

I would fully recommend this hotel, for the price that you pay it offers really good value.

• Stayed August 2012
MAZAR I, Responsable commercial at Eden Andalou Hotel Aquapark & Spa, responded to this review, 8 August 2012
Dear Sir,

Many thanks for sharing your experience in our hotel. Your constructive feedback is really appreciated and we are truly pleased that you have been satisfied during your stay in Marrakech.

We look forward to your next stay.

Best regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (351)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2012

FILTHY rooms in the hotel - had to change rooms 3 times and the Manager couldnt understand why - maybe he should try his own hotel accommodation!!! The first 2 rooms had dead cockroaches, dead mosquitos splatted on the walls..and wait for it - dead insects ON THE BED!! The maid came in and we told her and her answer "oh ok"!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Staff are SO rude and the reception staff are just unhelpful and dont really care about anything. The hotel is a good size and the pool is huge but you could see the dirt IN the pool - there was a HUGE nail at the bottom of the pool and kids were jumping in without noticing - not exactly good Health and Safety.

The food selection was really poor - I have seen better in the cafes in the main square!!

Am really APPALLED with this hotel being a 5* - it should be a basic 3* as nothing about it is really 5*!! Who rated this hotel!??!?!

WOULD NEVER USE THIS HOTEL EVER AGAIN!!!! I would suggest that you pay the extra and go to a decent hotel as I would hate to imagine what this hotel is like during busy seasons!!!

Room Tip: If you have to go to this hotel (for whatever reason!) then make sure its a pool facing room and on...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Yags14
MAZAR I, Responsable commercial at Eden Andalou Hotel Aquapark & Spa, responded to this review, 31 July 2012
Dear Sir,

Thanks for your comment, even if we have been very surprised about it, we would try to answer as much as possible to the most objective points.
Concerning the rooms, we really take care about their cleanness and we always check them before the check-in. However, you should know that there are lots of insects with the current climate and the heat in Marrakech. It is possible that some of them entered in your room when you opened your window. We are sorry about that.
As soon as we read your post about the nail, we have informed promptly the technical staff. There are at the moment checking the surroundings of the main swimming pool. Moreover, our swimming-pool is regularly cleaned up.

We are sorry that our hotel doesn’t match your tastes.

Regards,
Casablanca, Morocco
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2012

This is by far the terrible 5 stars (I don't know how it got it) I ever had to stay in.
I had an all inclusive deal 2 weeks ago and it was a nightmare.

When We arrived, the rooms were not cleaned and we had to wait till 3:00 PM with a temperature of 46°. My baby was suffocating. No welcome cocktails, no fresh water to catch-up the situation.
Coming to the room in itself, we shared it with flies, mosquitos and dirty walls! Shower was broken.
Food was not good and they were thinking making some savings by serving the minimum of food.
You want a bottle of water, give me your room number because it will be charge to you in an all-inclusive formula!!

The juices served had more water than "concentrate of juice" because they added water to not-frech juices.

I have requested a bed for my baby. They promised to bring it to me by 5:00PM the first day. I have never seen it despite my several reminders (call, attending the reception, etc...)

Coming to the restaurant services guys, they have nothing to do with services, very rude, no will to help. I am services Manager since more than 20 years and I can recommend one thing to the general managaer: either you fire your team and hire professional guys or send them for trainings.
One of the weird thing is that they were cleaning the tables and gather dirty plates and put them close to certain tables where people were eating which were far from the conveniences and hygiene rules!

The last days, we called for porter for our baggages, no one picked up the phone. We had to walk for hundred of meters with our bagages and baby to reach the reception. When we asked why the phone was not picked-up, I was shocked to hear the guy/lady saying: "I give up",I can't manage these problems.

Last point was the management of car parking: a total mess!!!

The only positive thing was the activities organizer in the swimming pool who was doing amazing job.

For sure, I won't recommend it for rest. You will struggle to have what you paid for.

4 Thank MYMAMOU_12
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2012

Just come back from a great holiday to Kefalonia and decided to finally write about the Eden Andalou Spa & Resort as it highlights how bad the place was. Had a groupon deal for myself, my wife 1 year old and my parents. Everything was a problem for the staff, and we found them rude and stroppy. probably easier if i list my complaints
*No kettle to boil water- had to order and wait ages for a coffee pot with enough water for 1 bottle( if the pot was clean).
*no iron, v expensive ironing service, so we all walked around wrinkly.
* £6 for an ice-cream, they then ran out, but get this, we weren't allowed to bring in any food from outside the hotel???????
toddler pool was closed for 2 days to have the canopy repaired, so no swimming, no worries. Once fixed i found small razor sharp shards of metal from the welding machine in the pool, took them to reception......nothing. Next day still there.
lots of other gripes, food , not nice.
nursery, not open as they followed french half term dates even though there were children at the hotel ( it was uk half term).
Free spa treatment was nice, but was told to vacate the pool after 5 mind due to cleaning.
Final straw was when i was told i hadn't paid and had to go into the managers office , open my lloyds online account and point to the payment. Apology?????? NAH!!!!
CRAP HOLIDAY AND WAS GLAD TO LEAVE

Room Tip: ground floor if you have toddlers as the room we had on the first floor had no window lock and no gu...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Robert M
Casablanca, Casablanca, Morocco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2012

Initially, I thought being in a quiet corner with my family, without spending all my savings :)
quiet corner usually means mediocre, I happily and accidentally ends up in a place where I do not regret a single moment as well served, surrounded by my family and friends and where my children have thoroughly enjoyed the stay, with spaces large highly trumpeted cleanliness and especially the charming scenery with lots of respectable people around, no nuisance or louts.
Regret occurred at the time of departure: when my son asked me the question I was afraid;
Why don't we stay in here dad ! :)
but for sure next trip will probably be in there.

2 Thank Sadek_B
paris
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2012

No hygiene and safety food.
salad,sheese and delicatessen not fresh, if you touch the cheese you can brook it.
To much flies in the salad.
To much flies in the buffet corner.
Personal not qualified,we dont listen : thanks or ....

1 Thank morais f
, Guest Relations Manager at Eden Andalou Hotel Aquapark & Spa, responded to this review, 16 July 2012
Dear clients,

The Eden Andalou team notified your post and remarks about the hygiene and safety food. We consider every comment in purpose to improve our service. However, we were surprised to read this post and we wanted to clarify some points.

Our buffet is varied and very good. Moreover we using good and fresh local products based on vegetables and olive oil, we don’t use storage..

We are sorry that you are not satisfied, and we hope to see you again.

Best regards,
Brighton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2012

We stayed here over my boyfriend's Birthday, so I wanted it to be special.

I thought we'd save hassle by arranging airport transfers direct with the hotel, however when we got to the airport there was no-one there. I called the hotel and the receptionist was very rude and abruptly said they'd be there in a minute. I asked her who was picking us up (i.e. their name) and she said she didn't know, they had a lot of drivers... As this was our first visit and we arrived late in the evening, I found this bizarre and a little unsafe - I'm glad I wasn't on my own! A man who literally couldn't speak a word of basic English said in sign-language that he was taking us to the hotel (by showing us a hotel sign) and after leading us to a clapped-out jeep with no air-conditioning (it was 40 degrees plus) and it's wing mirrors cellotaped on (I'm not exaggerating), we eventually arrived at the hotel. I certainly don't expect local people to speak English when I travel, I always try to learn some basic local words before I go anywhere, but from someone picking you up from a 5-star resort? Surely basic English would be a pre-requisite? Luckily my French is ok, so we got by - this was the same across the resort, so you really need to be able to speak some French.

The hotel itself is beautiful, if a little in need of repair in parts, and we sat down to complete our reservation. The taxi driver then came over to ask for money for the transfer. Now as we can only take the equivalent of around £90 cash each into Morocco according to foreign currency regulations, I asked the receptionist if we could charge the 'taxi' to our room. She scowled at me (again, no exaggeration) and said "of course not, you need to pay in cash" - not the sort of 5-star service I'd expected...

We had a pleasant stay, our room itself was beautiful, but the service and food put me off going back. Our shower wasn't screwed into the wall properly and when we asked for it to be fixed, they literally just put it back into the wall with no fixings, very odd. The Spa is ok, not 5-star standard though and is a little dirty and in need of maintenance. The pool is freezing, but as it was very hot during our stay, we didn't mind that too much. The food was appalling, frankly, for a 3-star let alone a 5-star resort. If you like coffee, forget it! The salad at lunch had flies crawling all over it and there was no attempt to cover it up. The buffet was included in our price but we didn't bother with it after the first try, it was mostly cold and congealed with having been left for so long.

Not the worst place I've ever stayed at and in fact if they didn't advertise (and price) themselves as 5-star resort, I'm sure the reviews would be more sympathetic. We certainly won't be going back and I won't miss the sneer and rudeness of the receptionist whenever we asked her any basic questions.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple