“Lovely three night stay very relaxing and lifted all our stresses away”

Eden Andalou Hotel Aquapark & Spa
Ranked #229 of 501 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed 24 April 2013

We had pre booked transfer to the hotel which was great only downside was the passport control! We were on the early flight and the room was available straight away. The room was lovely with day beds surrounding a well maintained garden. Bathroom had bath two showers two sinks with separate loo and bidet. The food was good and varied enough each day. The bar staff were friendly more so if you attempted to speak Arabic, French is also useful as English is third in line. Entertainment staff were great fun Sara momo and Husain they went out of their way to help and make our stay relaxing. The weather was lovely, the pool water is on the cold side but very much appreciated in the sun. Would definitely go again! Thank you!

• Stayed: April 2013
There are newer reviews for Eden Andalou Hotel Aquapark & Spa

Reviewed 16 April 2013

Before booking a hotel, it’s my common habit checking for reviews on different sites so to gather insights and try to understand what sort of place is the one I’d like to stay.
I do appreciate the hotel’s review are often manipulated rather than connected to the personal experience; hence I have learnt over time how to add boundaries while reading such things.

However, as I was after a holiday to unwind the stress accumulated during the past year, I booked without reserve and without looking at any site at all.
Given the comments I read just now (before publishing the review), unlikely I would have changed my mind, but probably I would have had a different sort of expectations from a hotel that is classified as a 5* hotel, but that to me is not worth more than 4*.

I have worked in a 5* plus Hilton hotel in the past, and I do know extremely well what mean customer hospitality and quality service, and regrettably this hotel doesn’t take in consideration the majority of the elements this requires.

Indeed the hotel looks impressive from outside and has some lovely decorated features that are enjoyable for your relaxation. The weather definitely it’s a bonus but …

1) We pre-booked a taxi with the hotel, just to save us the hassle to find one once landed. Also, as this was our first time in the country and we never been in Morocco before, we were concerned about using a chartered taxi in a land where English is barely spoken.
Regrettably, once in the airport hall, the hotel guide was not there. There were a lot of people waiting with a board with customer name or hotel destination seeking for people arrived, but no one from Eden Andalou.
After 2 passages in the middle of the person, one of them shouting the hotel name (just in case), I pick the phone up and give a shout to the hotel.
Two phone calls later and £5 spent for less than 3 minutes conversation, a guy pop and come to us welcoming to Morocco and justifying himself he didn’t raise the board immediately as he was expecting us to take more time while collecting our luggage (whereas we have travelled with hand luggage only).
In the end we manage to arrive to the hotel at about 9:30 in the evening and to enter in the room at about 10pm.

2) A luggage-lifter escorted us to our room while carrying our luggage. He shows us how to open the security locked room, how to switch on the lights and go.
At a first sight, the room looks fine. Nice and spacious, a family bathroom, three beds allocated as requested.
Suddenly my daughter drew my attention to something on the floor. A pool of ants rattling back and forth from a 3cm dead worm being eaten from the ants that possibly were arranging their winter cupboard.
We rang unsuccessfully to the reception, but as no answer was given we went straight for a mild complain asking for the room to be cleaned meanwhile we was having our dinner.
The man at the reception assured us that that would have done, but on our return after 30 minutes the dead-worm was still there.
We inspected again the room for something else, and we find the hand towels to be dirty (lipstick and hair in between); so we went again to the reception to complain asking for our room to be changed.

The receptionist spoke in Arabic to somebody and I was expecting this to happen. He invited us to go back to our room saying that somebody would have eventually pop to help us.
About 10 minutes later we were in our room a room keeper popped in with cleaned towels. Not exactly what we were expecting, though.
She then made the gesture to go, and because she were speaking French only, clearly our communication process was impossible. So with gestures I invited her to enter and have a look at the worm.

She came back after a while and cleaned again the room from scratch. At 11 o’clock we finally have been able to go to sleep.

3) The day after, after having had the breakfast we go to the reception to book our free massage session, and also to ask how to gain entrance to the aqua park within the hotel premises and that according our plans it should have offered us plenty of joy for me and my daughter.
Although the all-inclusive package, we discovered that aqua park (very well sponsored on Eden Andalou site) are not included at all.
So disappointing. We have been offered somewhat a 50% discount for the entrance, meaning we have to pay about €8 a day, for 3 slides running from 11am to 12:30 and from 14:30 to 17:00
Retail price is around €16. A real cheat considering 5 slides in warm pools in UK costs between £8 and £10.

4) With regard to food, it was about on average. Nothing exceptional and to be in line with the 5* at all.
Quantity was preferred in respect of quality. Pretty much all day the same stuff, with few exceptions. As for the Moroccan food, two big tagines were available daily on a separate table; again no big changes between the days.

The lack of staff around the tables and in the main restaurant itself was lacking coordination and health and safety to both guests and staff.
On numerous occasions waiters were popping to the table to pick up plates with food still waiting to be eaten. I did see my dish vanish a couple of times just because I went picking up some extra bread.

5) The entertaining team were doing a good job trying to get the guests motivated and try to get them participate in the various activities; from personal training, relaxation exercise, evening mini-disco, darts and bowls.
So special thanks to Nina, Momo, Hassan from Fez … the guys I’ve interacted the most.

Finally my main negative comment about Eden Andalou refers to the lack of management and expertise in running a hotel that they refer to as a 5 Star. I would recommend the management to spend a week in an all-inclusive 5* hotel anywhere in the world and learn hospitality management.
In fact on the day before we left, we’ve found a couple of French guys to impolitely have taken possession of our sun beds motivating their decision with “you left your stuff here meanwhile no one was around” … whereas we was having our breakfast.
By reporting this to the hotel manager, they didn’t take actions at all and said sunbed are not bookable, which effectively wasn’t my case. Again, it was Momo the only person that having understood my reason of complained had unsuccessfully a word with these impolite guests.

Speaking with few other guests, they all had similar if not other issues than me. Not a hotel I would like to re-visit…. Unless a change of attitudes and a discount to join again will be provided of course.

Room Tip: Rooms that are not on the side of the swimming pools are normally the one more silent during the eve...
3  Thank Andrea M
Reviewed 16 April 2013

As we are making a formal complaint I will keep this short:
On arrival we were told we had to move to another hotel as they had a large private booking, which would not allow us to stay. Although very unhappy about this and having complained we had 2 young children so eventually we had to be moved. We were allowed to come back after 5 days (how kind) as the large booking would be gone.
When we arrived back, this was not the case and unfortunately our stay there was ruined by this, quality and lack of food was terrible, we were segregated from the main group and not allowed access to the main dining areas= no buffet: for example we had burger and chips for lunch one day not what I call 5*. On the last day it improved very slightly to perhaps a 3* quality.
The large booking had caused a huge amount of damage and disruption but, for a hotel that caters for large conferences this should not have been such a on-going problem. (at our welcome meeting, (day 5 of holiday) we were taken on a tour of the conference rooms and facilities, to show how great the hotel is).
Although the animation team were very helpful this was not across the board unfortunately the reception staff were unhelpful with further issues, such as a broken curtain rail- no issue in England but there it meant searing sunshine in the kid’s eyes first thing in the morning.
The power was gone one evening, which meant a dangerous journey to the rooms, the kids club ran 1 day out of 7, the pools were not heated and freezing (One was supposed to be heated). We had evening entertainment 2 evenings of the holiday, dj and animation team dancing. We wrote a detailed complaint letter on check out (05/04/13) and have recieved no communication in reply.
With decent management this hotel could be fantastic, it has a great location and the building is gorgeous- such a shame.
Sorry, not as short as I intended!

1  Thank Dooglepoodle
Reviewed 15 April 2013

I was looking forward for this holiday to unwind and de-stress but unfortunately it wasn’t going to happen. From the moment I drove in to the hotel, I was concerned of its security. At the entrance to the hotel, the security guy just raised the barrier without checking if I was a resident or had a booking at all with the hotel. At the time, I didn’t think of it much as I thought maybe because I still haven’t checked in. The hotel looks impressive from outside and has some lovely decorated features that are enjoyable to experience and the weather was a bonus. Once we checked in and filled up the required information sheet and our IDs were copied, we were all branded with an orange wrist band and were told that we can’t use the Aqua Park (main reason why I booked that hotel so that my kids can enjoy the water park) and that we can only use the all-inclusive from 3pm (which was ok by me since we arrived after the breakfast restaurant was closed). We went to our allocated rooms and they were spacious and clean. The two chamber maids that were allocated for our floor were very nice and courteous and delightful to talk to each day.

My main negative comments about Eden Andalou are the lack of management and expertise in running a hotel that they refer to as a 5 Star. I personally don’t think it is a 5* but more like a 4* only, not sure how or who allocated this star status. I recommend that the management spend a week in an all-inclusive 5* hotel anywhere in the world and learn hospitality management.

With regards to food, it was average as the management was more into quantity rather than quality and the same type of food will be available the following day. The lack of staff around the tables and in the main restaurant itself was lacking coordination and health and safety to both the guests and the staff. On numerous occasions plates and cups were broken and left un-dealt with that any person would have been injured. Some of the guests unfortunately leave their kids wondering the restaurant with juices and food which obviously ends up on the flood and if you walk right behind them you end up slipping and hurting yourself. There are so many other negative comments that I can go on as I was so frustrated I ended up going out for some good quality food.

Entertainment, kids club (which is non-existent if you follow the arrows you end up nowhere!). The entertaining team were doing a good job trying to get the guests motivated and try to get them participate in the Zumba, personal training, relaxation exercise, evening mini-disco…etc. but again I go back to my finding A Lack of Staff (I only saw 2 ladies and 4 guys) for a 5* hotel, I let you do the ratio calculation….

Spoke with few of the guests and they all had similar if not other issues than me. Not a hotel I would like to re-visit….

Room Tip: Do a thorough homework about this hotel before booking, as it might not suit you. Ask the proportio...
2  Thank Atika M
MAZAR I, Responsable commercial at Eden Andalou Hotel Aquapark & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2013

Dear Client,
We are delighted that you were satisfied with the service provided by our hotel. Your comments are very helpful for the improvement of our service which is on continuous progress. We are sure that during your next visit to our hotel you will find a lot of improvement and positive change.

Reviewed 12 April 2013

It looked quite nice at first, but the decoration and architecture was clearly not 5*. The rooms are spacious but clearly used ,the moroccan saloon in the suits seemed to never have been washed ,and were full of dust .The water in the shower and bath was not near much. When we went to the reception to get all inclusive bracelets ,we had to wait half an hour to get them. The staff did not really care. We were surprised to see the bar serving hot choclate in plastic cups!!!! Its extremly dangerous for little kids , and a 5* hotel bar presentation. Really loud music around the pool and kids crying their heads off!! The food repetetive and not much taste .When we tried to get any wifii signal at the reception there wasnt any .And when we asked about it our responce was" Oh yes we have wifii, but its not working". The service slow and the staff overworked and rude. The waterpark stairs were dangerous when wet and made of hard concrete. The extra restaurants were expensive even for all inclusive. I dont think Ill ever go back . They have 5* but they are not.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank GeustC
Reviewed 11 April 2013

We had directly spoken with the hotel rep prior to the trip and had organized everything bar the flights through them. There were a few of us, so we needed to make sure that this hotel suited our needs.. They were so willing and helpful prior to the trip. Sending us a very specific list of all the things included in our all inclusive stay package. However, no more than 2 hours after we arrived, the issues began.

Bus service:
We had been told that we a regular free bus service would take us to the town whenever we wanted, we just had to get on it, not only did they try and charge us for this service, it was always booked up (you need to let them know far in advance) with only a weekend stay here, we ended up getting taxis the entire weekend.

The staff:
The staff in this hotel, absolutely ruined what could have been a beautiful holiday. First was charging for the bus (as I mentioned), then on more than four occasions, I had approached either the reception or the bar the staff just walked away and didn’t come back. I must sound like I am a nightmare customer and the reason they took an instant dislike, but I can assure you I am the type to be polite and not cause a fuss (and then just moan about it on tripadvisor). One time we were on the tables outside, the waitress had bought my friend a drink, so I asked for one as I had only just arrived, the response I got (in English.. not her first language might I add, this was a genuine effort to be disgruntled) ‘eurgh, you’re not going to make me go all the way back inside and get it are you?’. Coca cola is not something you can DIY, They are kept away behind the scenes. These are just a few of the many many many issues we had over the weekend.

The spa:
The spa was lovely. Both myself and my friend had the hammam, which was a very refreshing experience. Although I would advise you ask them to avoid the nipple area!

The rooms:
The rooms were lovely, very clean and so luxurious.

The hotel:
The hotel was so wonderful, such an amazing place to be in, such a beautiful building.

Overall, I would not recommend this hotel, the staff are too important to make it run smoothly. I would most definitely advise staying in the centre if you are planning a trip here.

Room Tip: Near the pools looked like the best ones. Its quite easy to get lost in this huge hotel!
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Sophie W
Reviewed 10 April 2013

Beautiful hotel, spacious rooms, ideal for families with children
Entertainment team very good, there is always something to do of you want
Free shuttle to centre of Town
Very friendly staff
Check in was perfect, immediatly someone of the animation team showed us around
Small aquapark