“This is fast becoming my favourite place”
Review of Riad Assakina

and 1 more site!
Riad Assakina
Ranked #5 of 502 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed 11 May 2014

This is my second visit back to Riad Assakina in four months, last time was in January for my 50th birthday and my surprise engagement. This time was for my fiance 55th birthday and to pick up my wedding dress.

This is an oasis in the middle of the Medina of Marrakech, a retreat to catch your breath from everyday life. Wether it is sitting on the sun terrace reading, too walking out to the souks and sitting having a cold drink and watching the world go by, fine dining, some of the best food i have eaten anywhere. I can see this fast becoming my favourite place for a short break away.

Michele who is one of the owners of the Riad also has an amazing little shop in the Riad, that has beautiful little things inside, amongst which are some stunning clothing, with hand embroidery on them. I asked if possible if I could have a dress and coat made for my wedding day, which Michele help me with every step of the way to sourcing fabrics/design and finishing touches. My dress is stunning and I promise to post pictures after my wedding day.

Thanks again for an amazing break again Michele and Grant and all your staff who are so lovely/friendly and accommodating. You and your team are fabublous, it just makes the holiday experience that little bit extra special.

Room Tip: There are 5 different rooms, all stunning, all diferent, all beautiful decorated. I have stayed in t...

Reviewed 8 May 2014

Stop now--end your hotel search here. You will be glad you did.

The Riad Assakina is truly something special. It's the combination of a beautifully decorated riad and the graciousness of the owners, Grant and Michele, and their staff, which will transform your visit to Marrakech into a truly wonderful and memorable experience.

My wife, daughter and I had two suites at the Riad Assakina, the Kaid and Merenid suites, in mid April 2014. In all our travels it's rare to say that a hotel truly makes your experience special--however the Assakina does. It is an oasis of peace, calm and beauty in what can be an a noisy, hectic and chaotic city. We loved Marrakech---meeting the people, bargaining at the souks and enjoying the food. Coming back to the riad to relax, eat, take a dip in the pool, talk to the staff and share experiences with Grant and Michele makes your Marrakech experience even more enjoyable.

As beautiful as the riad is--Michele is a truly talented interior designer with exquisite taste, it's Grant, Michele and their staff that elevates this hotel above all others. Staying with Grant and Michele is like staying with your favorite old friends. They are perfect hosts--- warm, funny, engaging, smart, well travelled and very helpful. They arranged all our travels-- pick up and drop off at the airport, a tour of the medina, and day trips outside of Marrakech to Ait Ben Haddou and Essaouira.Their restaurant recommendations and advice on where to purchase items were spot on as they would say. From the lovely breakfast, to the cake and Moroccan tea in the afternoon, to a late night snack or drink all combined with enagaing conversation it was always a pleasure to spend time in the riad. The staff all share Grant and Michele's qualities---they are gracious friendly and fluent in numerous languages.

The Riad Assakina is the perfect counterbalance to Marrakech. It's that balance that elevates your trip and has you wishing that you could stay just a little bit longer.

David K.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Michele and Grant have created an oasis of calm in the heart of Marrakech. It is the perfect introduction to the city and the help and advice from them and their wonderful staff made our stay perfect. The breakfasts are amazing too!

Room Tip: All rooms fabulous.
Reviewed 7 May 2014

My wife and I recently spent 3 nights at the Riad Assakina with my sister and her husband. The Riad itself has been beautifully restored and exquisitely decorated in traditional Moroccan style but encompassing all the modern conveniences you would expect in a boutique hotel. On arrival Grant and Michele the owners of the Riad greeted us, and introduced us to the staff. As we arrived later in the evening we had ordered Tapas which were served in the courtyard, they were delicious. Our rooms were beautiful and very comfortable. We were on the ground floor so our rooms opened out onto the inner courtyard. This meant they were very cool and quiet (for Marrakesh). The rooms have shower and air conditioning as well as a television and free Wifi. On the second floor there are a further 4 suites which are all beautiful and worth the extra money if you want to treat yourself.

Our taxi transfer was arranged by Michele & Grant, this took all the stress away. If you prefer, there are plenty of taxis at the Airport but ensure you negotiate a price first.
On arrival at Marrakesh airport I would advise you change some money into the local currency. We changed some at Bristol Airport before we left and were offered a rate 25% less than you get locally. It is a flat rate across all of Marrakesh so you do not need to shop around.

The Riad Assakina is situated in the Jewish quarter, it is very convenient for exploring the Medina, and only a ten-minute walk to the main square and the Souks. You also have the Badi and Bahia palaces within a few mins walk.

Michelle’s local knowledge is invaluable, and her advice on restaurant’s places to visit and local customs ensured we had a memorable visit.
All the staff at the Assakina were wonderful and we would like to thank Hitchim, Hakim,Mereim, Naoual, Ibissam and Majouba personally, not forgetting Grant & Michelle. Look forward to visiting you all again.

Reviewed 25 April 2014

I stayed at the Riad Assakina to celebrate my wife's 40th birthday. This was a surprise for my wife and from the moment I contacted Grant and Michele to arrange this, they were both so helpful and accommodating to all my requirements.

The Riad itself was superb, it was like a little oasis in the middle of the hustle & bustle of wonderful Marrakech. The rooms are lovely, clean and well equipped. The communal areas are just as comfortable, with outside seating, inside lounge area and small pool on the ground floor and double-level terrace on the roof with sun loungers and soft seating for relaxing.

Breakfast was great and their was complimentary tea and cakes in the afternoon. The staff who work at the Riad are so helpful and friendly too.

I highly recommend this Riad and would certainly stay here again. A massive thank you to Grant, Michele and all the staff for all their help and who made our stay very enjoyable and relaxing.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Grant & Michele are fabulous hosts, happy to help always and made us feel like we were at 'home'. Food also outstanding and tapas on the terrace an absolute dream. Made our honeymoon an experience never to be forgotten and hopefully made some life long friends! We will be back on our wedding anniversary to relive our Moroccon adventure with Riad Assakina. Can't thank you enough!

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 15 April 2014

My partner and I recently spent 7 nights at the Riad Assakina. The Riad itself is a beautifully rebuilt and restored building and wonderfully decorated - interior design is fabulous - Michele the owner sources real craftsmen and has all the lights etc made specifically for the Riad. Our room was beautiful and very comfortable. When we pulled up outside - we had no idea of the wonderful surprise that we would find behind the wrought iron gate which surrounds the front door, A huge welcoming smile from Hakim - who brought up a most welcome mint tea. The Riad is conveniently situated to the shops, palaces, and restaurants of the Medina. Afternoon tea and home made cake is provided between 4-5 which is very welcome after a day of bartering! The staff are absolutely wonderful - make you feel really welcome and their customer service is superb - so thank you to all of you - Hitchim, Hakim,Mereim, Naoual, Ibissam and Majouba and to the lovely owner Michele. We have recommended the Riad to our friends and look forward to returning.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are lovely - as a special treat you can upgrade to a suite - very large rooms on th...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple