“Relaxing immaculate well presented hotel”

SENTIDO Kenzi Menara Palace
Ranked #99 of 500 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed 9 November 2012

Large rooms with a lovely pool and mountain view. The outdoor pools is a great size but too cold in the winter.The spa is nice but rather pricey.
Adil the entertainments manager made this a break for our family.
The free shuttle bus is great but it would be better to have the last bus out at 7.00pm and return bus at 10pm.
Nice breakfast too. I hope they repair the very poor tennis courts which were unplayable and hopefully not charge for using them (Adil kindly arranged a refund).
Lovely quiet hotel.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
Kenzi Menara P, Directeur général at SENTIDO Kenzi Menara Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2012

Dear Guests Gallaghers_4,

We thank you to have spent time to give us your impressions about our hotel, the Kenzi Menara Palace in Marrakech.
We note you liked large and comfortable bed room, the lovely pool with a Mountain Atlas view (Just between you and us, in winter season, we will have the same sight but Atlas will be snow-covered). You appreciate the “nice breakfast”.
Adil, entertainments manager, will be advised of your compliments and he will repair soon two tennis courts.
Choukran four your conclusion “lovely quiet hotel”.
Hoping to welcoming you soon,

René BAIADA

Write a ReviewReviews (2,194)

Reviewed 9 November 2012

My sister and i stayed in this hotel for 5 days.We really liked it. The rooms are big and comfy.
Very nice swimmingpool and good food in both restaurants.And all the people were very very kind and helpfull.Shuttlebus to the square is perfect,or else you can take a taxi and in 10 minutes you're in the centre of marrakech.We have seen and talked with a lot off kind people also in the souks.It's a great experience,but you have to accept that they have their own rules,take it with a lot of humor and you will have a great time and nice talks.If you can't do this and want only your own rules please stay at the hotel.We find that the people in Marokko treat eachother with more respect than we do,so if you accept this culture you will have a very very good time.And if there is a problem,you can ask the people in the hotel for help. This hotel is 10 minutes from the centre,and behind the hotel (walk for 10 minutes) there is a cinema and a shoppingmall and 5 minutes from disco pasha. We will come back at this lovely hotel!!!!!!
the 2 sisters de Keijzer from holland

Room Tip: kamers met tuinzijde perfect.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends

Dear Celine v,

It was a great pleasure to welcome you and your sister, recently at the Kenzi Menara Palace in Marrakech, during 5 days may be in October or November.
We notice you really like it, particularly big and comfortably bedroom, the very nice swimming pool, good food in both restaurants and very very kind and helpfully people. We thank you for your very pleasant comments and interesting precisions;
Your conclusion is fantastic “We will come back at this lovely hotel” and we are very proud of that end.
Looking forward to welcoming you again,

Reviewed 7 November 2012

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT VISIT THIS HOTEL!!! I have never felt the need to write a review before, but given the appaling excuse for a hotel that kenzi Menara professes to be, I feel compelled to let others know that this is the worst hotel I have ever had the misfortune of staying at and should be avoided at all costs!!!!

I booked the kenzi menara palace hotel in morroco through Coop travel using Kouni for the two days of our honeymoon in Marrakech with breakfast only. This hotel is billed as a 5 star in the kouni guide and we booked this with an upgrade to the honeymoon suite.

We arrived at the hotel at 12.30pm in what was a beautiful lobby which promised a great deal. We sat down completed the usual details and were told to wait and provided with a wonderful mint tea. 15 mins passed and i asked if the room was ready but was told to wait another 15mins. Eventually after waiting 30mins i asked again and was told it would be another 30mins before the room was ready. After a total of an 1 hour and 40 mins of waiting they finally allowed us to enter our room. Upon entering the room, the floor was still very wet, smelt quite awful, no flowers were in the room as per agreed and the safe was not working. After a 3 hour flight to what should have been the greatest vacation of our lives, this really was the last thing we needed. I went down to reception and reiterated my disatisfaction. The ill trained employee then had the sheer gaul to tell me that the kenzi Menara like "apparently all hotels in the world" only allows check in at 4pm therefore and i quote "should be grateful that the hotel allowed me to check in at 2.15pm and only had to wait 1 hour and 40 minutes to check in." After a wait of a further 30mins a technician arrived to fix the safe. The flowers despite asking twice did not arrive. Instead by a way of an apology the hotel staff provided some complimentary water and an iced pastry. This was just day 1 of this awful hotel. Unfamilar with the lack of food available during certain hours we asked for some sandwiches from the hotel room service. This took an hour to arrive. On the evening of our first day we asked the concierge to order us a taxi. We were told the taxi had arrived, only to be pushed aside so that a local morrocan resident staying at the hotel could take our taxi. It took 45 mins for my wife and i to be eventually given a taxi. Whilst i would not go so far as to say this amounted to racism (as my wife and i are british asian) i would say that throughout the stay we were treated with distain and lack of courtesy by the staff at kenzi menara palace and the word "indi" was used behind our backs around the hotel.

At the breakfast of the 3rd day, upon finishing my omlette i was instantly struck by stomach cramps. The kenzi menara breakfast had indeed given me food poisoining. I have never looked forward so much to checking out of a hotel, but even this was an awful and actually very unpleasant experience. The bill I recieved had a number of charges for phone calls and drinks. I had attempted to make a call to my kouni agent from my room but could not do so, therefore went down to reception and asked them to call on my behalf. The Kenzi Menara staff did not tell me they would charge for calling from reception on my behalf and had charged me three seperate times. I complained about this to the reception staff. The most shocking thing was that then three staff including the manager began shouting at me in the lobby telling me to "pay now", the staff continually spoke over me and whispered what i can only assume were profounaties in arabic, and the reception staff then stated and i quote "every hotel in the world charges guests for any call locally made from reception," furthermore i was then told by the reception staff "i did not know what i was talking about because i am from England and have only stayed in English hotels" despite the fact that i have visited over 28 different countries in the last 12 years. Eventually having lost my patience and seeing the obvious upset on my wifes face i handed over my credit card and told the receptionist to hurry up and charge me because the lack of customer service and utter disrepect they had shown me was too much to bear any longer. I then stated that i would be making a formal complaint and also be writing a review on trip advisor. After arguing for 40 minutes and eventually mentioning trip advisor they removed two our of the three phone call charges.

To summarise Kenzi Menara Palace is massively let down by its incompetent, rude and utterly disrespectful staff and the food should be eaten with extreme caution. They are extremely slow in dealing with any requests no matter how minor. To give this hotel 4 or 5 stars is a complete travisty. This is a sub one star hotel the likes of which should be stricken from any responsible tour operater or travel agents books.

If there is anyone reading this review who is in any doubt or under the impression that i might have just had a one off bad experience, i spoke with locals and others as far as Essaouria and the poor reputation of this hotel is shared by many. Thankfully we left this hotel and continued our honeymoon in Essaouria at the Sofital mogador Golf & Spa which more than made up for the horrible experience of Kenzi Menara Palace Morroco.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
14  Thank GSSaini

Dear Guests GSSAINI,

I have just read the comment which you took time to draft on the prestigious site of Tripadvisor and, in my first one’s quality responsible for the Kenzi Menara Palace luxury hotel, I would before anything else like to apologize to you the most sincere and the deepest not have managed to satisfy your Wife and yourself.
I do not succeed in being understandable the series of bad events which occurred upon your arrival in the hotel ; it’s true that the hotel had a very intense activity (occupation) in October and November, and the bedroom which was intended for you was late released, but this situation does not excuse the impoliteness and rudeness. In reality, the employee of the reception wanted to attribute you a bedroom of superior category because you were in honeymoon and, probably, it’s the reason of your wait.
Dear customers GSSAINI, I do not look for pretexts on the method of welcome which you experimented in our hotel, but I wanted to renew you my regrets and to say to you that I ardently wished to receive you again to be enjoyed the pleasures that offer Kenzi Menara Palace. All my employees join me in this message because they want to make you these first experiences forget.
By hoping that my message is received,
Looking forward to receiving you soon,

Reviewed 29 October 2012

The hotel was so welcoming! The manager and the assistant manager both approached us at different times to see if we were happy with our stay. This hotel is excellent if you want a really relaxing break, because it is outside of the city, it is very quiet although the hotel do have a free shuttle bus to the city, we decided not to do this but an excellent member of staff (Sheriff) arranged a guide and a private minibus for 90 DHRS for 4 hours , this was great fun and we had a guide with us all the time so we did not get bothered all the time. Sheriff also arranged for us to go to a Morocco night out , We can highly recommend this as it gives you a taste of old Morocco. The food in the hotel is very well presented and the staff are so helpful.
The rooms are really big and very clean,The only fault we can find is that twice we were locked out of our room but reception were really apologetic and sorted it out right away. one last thing both the swimming pools are fab ! And the staff at the outdoor pool are so helpful all the time. They are a real attraction to eating by the pool

Room Tip: If you are in party ask to have adjoining rooms as there is a communicating door between the rooms...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Kenzi Menara P, Directeur général at SENTIDO Kenzi Menara Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2012

Dear Heather H.,

Thank you for your very kind compliments that we greatly appreciate. As you wrote, you liked welcoming, the big and very clean bedroom, the location over Atlas, the food very well presented, the staff so helpful and swimming pools which are fab.

We thank you very much and we are really looking forward to welcoming you again.

Reviewed 26 October 2012

My wife and I booked separatly from our group of friends. It was not untill we arrived at the sister hotel of the Palace (Kenzi Club Agdul Medina) that we realised we had booked a different hotel.
After we had booked in and received our wrist band it was at that point the receptionist realised we should be at the Palace. It was our fault so no complaints so far.
So off we go and 50 MAD (for CAB) later we arrived.
It was after 10.00pm at this time and we were a little peckish. So we rushed to our room dropped our bags and rushed for a quick buffet. We indulged in a main course only and our first impression was the lack of choice. But heyho it was late and we were the only ones in the dining room. When I came to sign the bill I was outraged to see it was for 640 MAD for 2 buffets one lemonade and a small beer!!!!
So we were no way going to stay here for meals.
Following morning we explored the hotel. There was no one around! It was empty! No one at all at the pool and it was 10.30am! The hotel completely lacked soul.
Anyway each morning after breakfast (good and varied) we trooped up to the Kenzi club. The difference was unbelieveable. Lots of people but comfortable. Activities, but not in your face, pleasant smiley staff, fantastic food (did I mention we got our all inclusive wristbands still attached!!).
The entertainment at night was also great.
As for the Palace it seams to be waiting for someone to give it a spark of life. It appears to me that it is set up for conferences, not your average tourist. It appears to be suffering from over-confidence being a 5*. It is not relaxing and the staff are too formal.
On checking out I was waiting to discuss my aformentioned buffet bill. Typically they did not want to know. "What price did you expect, it is a 5* hotel" bleated the checkout man.
Final insult was the local taxes to promote tourism!!. I refused to pay at first but looking at the mans face I thought a night in a Moroccan jail may not be worth saving the 100 MAD.
So there you have it, my recomendation would be the Kenzi Club...brilliant. (no taxes to pay either).
By the way the market in the Medina is fantastic. At first you may feel intimidated but just get bartering and you'll be fine. Never felt threatened at all. If you really wish to make the most of seeing everything a guide is very useful. Do not pay more than 100 MAD for 4 hours, and just accept that he will take you to his mates markets stalls first.
All in all Marrakech is delightful and its people very welcoming. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Garden view excellent.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Richard G
Reviewed 19 October 2012

We stayed a cosy, beautiful and traditional Riad in Medina first half of our holiday and spent the second half in Kenzi Menara Palace. It was a big contrast, but we were happy with what we did.

1) Room:
We stayed on ground floor with garden view. It is a huge, mainly clean, well-equipped room. Bed was comfortable enough, amenities are also good and enough. Bath room was also very big and you have bath tub, separated shower cabin and separated toilet inside of bath room. The closets are surely big enough for 1-2 weeks stay. Two disadvantage is you can hear your neighbours very well and the furnitures on terrace were dirty.
2) Service:
Nothing personal at all (especially we came from Riad, where everything was so personal – so the difference was big), but you can stay anonymous. Front desk, concierge were helpful. I saw some people complained about final bill, but it was fairly smooth without any mistakes for us. We ordered room service twice in the evening – it took about 30-45 minutes. Pool staff were also quick and friendly. The worst part was in the room. Even when we used up shampoos soaps and toilet paper, they never re-filled. Sometimes towels were also missing! Not every staff understands English well, so if you do not speak French, it may cause some misunderstanding. So be patient and show some respect to staff.
3) Facilities:
Best part is the swimming pool – it is really big and you can swim very well. Of course, you can hang around poolside without swimming. There’s a pool bar and you can order food and drink. In business centre you can use computer. If you ask for some sheets of paper, you can also print out (the staff was very helpful). They have spa, as well, but we did not go.
4) Location:
It is far from Medina. It takes approx. 10 minutes by car. Hotel offers free transfer to main square once in 2-3 hours, but you need to reserve it. Taxi costs approx. 50-60 MAD from city during the day (you need to negotiate). There are some clubs, restaurants and a mid-size shopping centre nearby (5-10 minutes walk).
5) Breakfast:
Wide selection of food, which includes some typical Moroccan staff like Harira soup. You can order eggs (omelette, fried egg, etc) just at the open kitchen – they cook it fresh. If you want mint tea you might need to wait.

It can be boring if you stay in this hotel for one week, unless you arrange some excursion, etc.
If you aim to go to Medina/Gueliz every day, it is probably not practical place to stay. The advantage is you are away from the noise, stress, etc of Medina (that’s why it can be boring!) So if someone need lazy, just book-reading and “dolce fa niente” style holiday, it is good place to stay. If you want both, and if time allows, I can recommend to stay at first small traditional Riad in Medina followed by Kenzi Menara Palace.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Kenzi Menara P, Directeur général at SENTIDO Kenzi Menara Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2012

Dear Nori I,

We read the detailed and very interesting comment you wrote about your recent stay in Marrakesh and in our hotel. Your description is clear and expanded.
We note you liked the bedroom and its bathroom, the front desk and concierge helpfulness, room service prestations, pool staff rapidity and buffets with wide selections of food.
It was a great pleasure to welcome you in our hotel and we hope to receive you again very soon.

Sincerely yours.

Reviewed 17 October 2012

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Karen S