“Not bad but not great”

SENTIDO Kenzi Menara Palace
Ranked #98 of 502 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed 16 October 2013

This hotel had its good points and bad points. the good points are as follows:

Hotel is not to far from either the airport or the Medina;
The rooms are nice, spacious, clean and there is a secure safe to store valuables, cash and passports;
there is an interactive TV service where you have access to a decent range of films;
They run a free, regular shuttle bus down to the medina;
They have a lovely Spa facility and a very nice pool where you can chill out and catch some sun;

Now the Bad points:

Whilst the breakfast buffet was good, it was the same every morning with no variation;
The Wifi was ridiculously slow and only seemed to work when in reception or poolside and not in the room;
I politely asked reception if they could have a pair of Kenzi Menara Palace slippers delivered to my room on two occasions but neither pair ever arrived. However when it came to asking for a glass of Ice they were rapid quick in getting a BUCKET of the stuff to me;
I sometimes felt as if the staff & concierge just wanted to get rid of us. When my girlfriend dashed in and asked, as a matter of urgency, for change to pay a taxi we she was told no-one could help, which led to a very helpful gentleman changing it for us;
the Bar food was average at best. The chips were caked in salt and my girlfriends pizza was floating in oil. suffice to say we didn't eat lunch there again;
We weren't informed about the city & tourist tax until we were settling up our room service bill

A great holiday but the hotel could have been better

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rourkie82
Kenzi Menara P, Directeur général at SENTIDO Kenzi Menara Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2013

Dear Guest Rourkie,

I would like to thank you for chosen the Kenzi Menara Palace for your recent stay in Marrakech, and for your time spent to write your comment posted on Tripadvisor
I read attentively you review, and happy to note that you have enjoyed your stay with us.
I’m proud to see that you have appreciated the very spacious rooms overlooking the amazing Atlas Mountains; the localization of the hotel which is close to airport, city center and most attractions of Marrakech, the professionalism of the staff and our lovely spa like you said.
On the buffet we just change the whole composition is more diverse and varied and I am sure that your next return you will notice the difference.
Otherwise for the Wi-Fi I apologize we had a problem of the network general thing which is ruler now
We will be delight to welcome you again in our hotel for your next holiday in Marrakech

René BAIADA
Directeur Général

There are newer reviews for SENTIDO Kenzi Menara Palace

Reviewed 15 October 2013

Nothing about this hotel screamed 5 stars. The service was average, breakfast buffet was the same everyday and pool bar food was awful. We didn't eat dinner or lunch at the hotel based on the tasteless burger and greasy pizza we had on our first day at the pool side bar.

We converted our GBP into Dirhams at M&S in the UK but realised whilst in a taxi to the hotel that we had been given the AED dirhams and not Moroccan dirhams as requested. We asked reception if they could convert the currency but they said they had ran out of dirhams (hard to believe). I felt I had to beg her to change one AED note so that if could pay the taxi. She obliged after much persuasion.

My partner noticed a few guests had been provided with bedroom slippers. He requested 2 pairs and was told they'd be sent up to our rooms but they didn't arrive!

Excursions are over priced so consider booking them privately and not via the hotel.

What we appreciated:
The spa - we didn't have a massage but used the jacuzzi in the evenings once the sun had set.
Free shuttle service to the medina - this ran frequently and on time until 7pm.
Taxis readily available throughout the day should you miss the shuttle bus or need to head away from the medina but be sure to negotiate your fare beforehand.
Spacious rooms with comfortable beds.
A selection of movies for all ages
Location - equidistance from the medina and airport.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kara46
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Having read the reviews on Trip Advisor prior to booking our stay I honestly cannot believe how people can make such negative comments about the staff and the furnishings. The staff were extremely attentive, friendly and helpful. The room, furnishings and facilities were of a very high standard; exactly what you'd expect of a 5* hotel. I cannot recommend the hotel enough to anyone wanting a luxurious, relaxing stay in Marrakech. Every morning you have the option of fresh omlettes or pancakes cooked in front of you whilst you wait along with the usual continental breakfast buffet which has a variety of options to suit all tastes. The pool is huge and clean with a separate shallow area for children to play in.

The only negative comment i can make is that the WIFI was a bit hit and miss however with a hotel the size of Kenzi Menara Palace (and it is the size of a palace), it is unlikely that you would be able to find a router able to cover such a vast area.

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Kenzi Menara Palace and would certainly stay there again should we visit Marrakech in the future.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank SMills86
Kenzi Menara P, Directeur général at SENTIDO Kenzi Menara Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2013

Dear Guest Smills

I would like to thank you for chosen the Kenzi Menara Palace for your recent stay in Marrakech, and for your time spent to write your comment posted on Tripadvasor.
I am very proud of the wonderful manicured gardens, luxurious and spacious rooms, beautiful swimming pool and buffet breakfast varied and plentiful, have responded well to your expectations.
Thank you for all the compliments to the staff especially the concierge and spa.
Looking forward to welcome you again for another relaxing time at the kenzi Menara Palace.

René BAIADA
Directeur Général

Reviewed 8 October 2013

A very good hotel for Conference not to faar from the city center.
Very good spacious rooms with a good wiev. Restaurant breakfest/lunch ok.
Good service in the Conference room with nice personell.
There was no problems with check in/out most of the personell was very helpful.
I be glad to come back

Room Tip: Room near the garden has a good wiev
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank leifreidar
Reviewed 30 September 2013 via mobile

Loved the hotel, room was lovely. However check in and check out was a experience I do not expect from a 5 star hotel. Charge my credit card wrong! Really unorganised and had to wait 45 minutes to check out. Food was very limited selection in the restaurant. However breakfast Buffett was excellent. Drinks really really expensive.. Can't fault room or swimming pool. mini bar in room was good, good choice of films when in your room. Location - felt bit isolated at times if you wanted to wonder out,do not definitely as female go on your own! hotel staff really lacked customer care skills.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 29 September 2013

You could be literally anywhere in the world within this compound. Nice Rooms, Good Food, and a remarkable average at best staff. The Hotel gives no real feel of Morocco other than some architecture but if you are just looking for fun in the sun then it is probably right for you.

Check-In was a nightmare. The process is very strange. I have stayed in 5 Star resorts on most continents and the check in usually begins with: hello sir what is your name, a look up of the reservation, a confirmation of the duration of the stay, the exchange of a credit card and then a quiet un-eventful stay and usually no need to "officially" check out. We were told to sit (on a comfy couch) thinking alright this will be easy, but I had to nearly beg the woman to take my name down and or confirm my reservation through expedia, she then attempted to pre-authorize my card without stating any amount or anything and without confirming that I did indeed have a reservation. Finally I said, We have all inclusive, I will pay for my room now and this will be done.

The food and drink was very solid. Pool Bar Mojitos were great. All inclusive food was very very solid. Anyone complaining was probably expecting gordon ramsay to deliver their meal. Its solid, resort food, nothing more or less. Amazing desserts. Decent wine.

Generally with a few exception the staff was terrible. As others have said, if you have all inclusive they basically ignore you and treat you as a second class citizen though you have paid 150 dollars more than normal guests for the privilege. They want tips, they want fancy orders and they don't want to serve you even the simplest of requests if you have the "all inclusive" wrist band. If you think you are special maybe tip every single person when you get there if you don't want the same experience.

Check out, they attempted to tell me the room hadn't been paid and then were shocked to find a credit card terminal receipt issued just the day before in their lobby. After scurrying around they admitted fault and off I went.

Organization. Zero.

I would say if you want to get sun, eat too much solid food, drink too much standard liquor and not really experience the culture of Morocco that this place is a best bet and away from all the craziness of the actual city. There are free shuttles into the city so if you are looking to escape and see the city by day that would work too.

Room was Great. Clean, Big, TV, etc.

Room Tip: Pool is nice, Get a room central and near pool. Expect everyone you see to have a hand out.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Gilbert O
Reviewed 27 September 2013

Beautiful buildings and gardens. Pool bar very good, the staff were extremely helpful and friendly.
Breakfast was good, excellent choice of breads, fruit ,cereals & fresh juice. Eggs were cooked any way you wanted.Lunches and dinners were let down by the hot food. Whilst the cold buffet, salads,breads,fruit & desserts were very good the cooked meat and veg was overcooked, tough and lukewarm. (As a don't eat salad I became very hungry!!) The bar staff in the main were friendly apart from one lady who didn't like serving all-inclusive guests, she either ignored us or at times was rude. The desciption of the hotel stated that towelling robes were provided for all-inclusive guests. They weren't. when we asked at reception we were told they were busy and didn't have any, but the hotel was by no means full. One night we we woken up by staff wheeling trolleys up and down

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple