“Nice place”

Ranked #96 of 500 Hotels in Marrakech
Glossop, United Kingdom
“Nice place”
Reviewed 15 December 2013

We had a cheap trip to Marrakech, a place I always wanted to see, and the hotel was a perfect base, calm and quiet, in lovely gardens with a nice pool. The staff were all friendly and had time to talk. The breakfast buffet was fantastic. There is a spacious and comfortable bar where we would have enjoyed our evening drink if there hadn't been a very loud singer with electronic backing competing with piped music from the other end. We were saved by the discovery of a Carrefour supermarket - exit through the back entrance and its just down the road - where you can get beer and wine. We got picnic stuff from there as well rather than using the hotel restaurants which though lovely were empty at this time of year. There is a shuttle bus to town which was totally reliable but stops at 7 p.m. so if you want to enjoy the night market it's 80 dirhams for a taxi.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Susan O
Kenzi Menara P, Directeur général at SENTIDO Kenzi Menara Palace, responded to this review, 19 December 2013
Dear Susan O

First of all, I would like to thank you for choosing the Kenzi Menara Palace for your last journey in Marrakech, also for posting your review to share this experience with all Tripadvisor’s visitors.
I’m happy to note that you have enjoyed the spacious and comfortable rooms, the pool and the restaurants.
Your comment shows clearly that you have been warmly welcomed by our staff who did the best to offer you an unforgettable holiday at the Kenzi Menara Palace.

Directeur Général

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Dana Point, California
Reviewed 10 December 2013

During our recent Morocco tour we decided to upgrade our hotels versus those suggested by the tour company. The sofitel in Casablanca was incredible and the Sofitel in Fez was wonderful but this choice in Marrakesh was a big mistake.
Staff really rude, on our way to the first room they showed us all the stairways and halls were dark, even the bell boy needed a flashlight. Room faced the street and was noisy. We asked to change and their attitude changed from rude to obnoxious! Complained to the GM and finally received extra pillows and coffee for the room and changed our two night stay into one. returned early to Casablanca and went back to the Sofitel

Room Tip: go to another hotel
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Steven M
Kenzi Menara P, Directeur général at SENTIDO Kenzi Menara Palace, responded to this review, 12 December 2013
Dear Steven M

I would like to thank you for having chosen the Kenzi Menara Palace to spend your recent journey in Marrakech, also for posting your review to share this experience with all tripadvisor’s visitors.
I do not understand what has to disturb you during your stay with us; you asked to be change rooms and it was done and on the pillows and coffee are in all rooms: extra pillows in the closet and coffee near the mini bar.
not prevented I would be very happy if you contact me personally and to describe accurately what you disturb; Here below my email address:
relationpublic-menarapalace@kenzi-hotels.com

Willenhall, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 December 2013 via mobile

We booked our holiday at the last minute and I have to say it was fabulous. The hotel is beautiful and the weather was amazing. I can't understand the problems people are having with the staff, I speak s little French and that was very much appreciated in the bars and led to lots of conversations with the staff. The food was generally very good, especially the desserts, but there is a lot of olive oil used so if you're not a fan, you may get a bit fed up with it by the end of your stay. The internet did drop out occasionally but I found it a small matter of putting a simple code in. Ideally situated for the airport and the attractions of marrakech. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone - it gave us a honeymoon to remember

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Kenzi Menara P, Directeur général at SENTIDO Kenzi Menara Palace, responded to this review, 8 December 2013
Dear Dawn1512

I would like to thank you for chosen the Kenzi Menara Palace for your recent stay in Marrakech, and for your time spent to write your comment posted on Tripadvasor.
I am very proud of the wonderful manicured gardens, luxurious and spacious rooms, beautiful swimming pool and buffet breakfast varied and plentiful, have responded well to your expectations.
Thank you for all the compliments to the staff especially the concierge and spa.
Looking forward to welcome you again for another relaxing time at the kenzi Menara Palace.

East Grinstead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 December 2013

This is a fantastic hotel with great staff. I have just come back from a lovely 2 week break with my husband and they could not have done any more to make our stay special.

We chose it after extensive research on tripadvisor, so thank you fellow travellers for your feedback. One of the main reasons I eventually chose this hotel though (as not all reviews were positive) was the fact that the hotel director takes the time to respond personally to all feedback on this site. I felt that this showed good attention to detail and that was a very good starting point, I was not disappointed, this same attention to detail is evident everywhere - the hotel is very well kept, beautifully clean and all of the staff friendly and helpful. The hotel director takes the time to walk around the hotel, introducing himself to guests and requesting feedback. We had no reason to complain about anything with the hotel but I am confident that if we had, it would have been quickly addressed. We were particularly impressed with Najib in the Italian restaurant and Salhome(?) in the pool bar but the service was great everywhere. The whole concierge team were also fantastic, they gave us good advice on what to see and seamlessly sorted us out with a Sahara trip booking when First Choice/Thomson let us down at the last minute by cancelling the trip that we had booked with them. The concierge guys also drive the shuttle bus which is a great way to get into Marrakesh itself (just 10 minutes) and was always there on time to pick us up again when we had had enough! It would have been good if there was a slightly later shuttle bus run (last return is 19.15) to allow for some time in Marrakesh in the evening, but a taxi isn't expensive so not a huge problem. The hotel helped us out again on our last day when First Choice forgot to pick us up for our airport transfer, at my request they phoned our rep and then provided the hotel shuttle bus and a concierge to take us to the airport so that we didn't miss our flight.

Our room was fantastic, we had requested a quiet room with good views of the Atlas mountains and the room that we were allocated was quiet, beautifully appointed and with both pool and Atlas mountain views.

We used both the Moroccan and the Italian restaurants, the food was great in both, although I personally preferred the food in the Italian. The ambience is special in the Moroccan, you are seated on Moroccan sofa-style seating, in a nicely partitioned space with traditional musicians playing live music. The ambience is less good in the Italian as it is a large room with no partitions and 'muzac', but you can watch the chefs at work if you like through a large glass window into the kitchen and the food is fabulous, especially the ice cream and sorbet:-)
The buffet restaurant for breakfast and dinner was also excellent with a good variety of dishes both Moroccan and European. It was always clean and well presented. We were able to have breakfast outside on the terrace in the first week which was lovely but after that it was a little too cool, but there was good heating inside the restaurant. The pool bar/restaurant is also perfect for a light lunch and the food there is freshly cooked to order.
We were on all inclusive but we did tip. People always thanked us and we never felt like it was expected, when on a couple of occasions we didn't have change so couldn't tip we still got great service the next time, so we didn't have any problem with tipping.

One feature I really liked was the pool service. Towels were provided rolled up on the loungers. to occupy a lounger you just rolled out the towel. I haven't come across this approach before and loved the fact you didn't have to carry your beach towel around with you, especially once it was wet! The pool itself is huge and kept clean - we watched the pool guy hard at work cleaning it every morning, One word of warning though the outside pool is not heated, it gets cold at night in November and that meant that although the day temperature was lovely, the pool itself was cold. The hotel is only 10 mins from the airport which is a great short transfer although it is just off the flight path, you only notice planes when outside and its not really disturbing, we didn't mind it but I thought I'd mention it as some people do.

In summary we loved this hotel, we loved Marrakesh and we loved Morocco, but we were really pleased to be staying away from the madness of the Medina in this beautiful hotel. The place is amazing and we found the people welcoming and charming. We got back on Tuesday and I'm already trying to work out how soon we can return!

2 Thank Lorna W
Dear Lorna W

I’m glad to read your comment posted on Tripadvasor describing your last journey in Marrakech, and would like to thank you for sharing this experience with all the travelers.
We are proud to see that you enjoyed our beautiful gardens, our buildings, indoor and outdoor swimming pool, the diner and the lunch, also the breakfast with all these advantages and these delights.
I am also satisfied to notice that you have to appreciate our very spacious rooms overlooking the amazing Atlas Mountains.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed 29 November 2013

Really struggled with this review. There are some parts of this hotel and parts of my stay I really liked, and some ... well, I was enormously let down.

Firstly the good: The room was fantastic. A huge 3 room suite with two separate courtyards was a bit overkill for a single bloke on business ... but I loved it. Comfortable, palatial, the room itself, I could not fault. Up there with some of the best 5 star rooms I have stayed in (and that is a lot!).

The food: (note also the bad here) The food tasted specatacular. An awesome array of starters, mains and deserts for all meals. Again from a cullinary taste point of view ... could not fault the presentation nor the range ... brilliant!

The Conference facilities: Great room with natural light. Good sound quality and good attention by the hotel's AV staff ...

Now the bad:
Unfortunately a few things seriously outweighed all the good.
1) Service: At the bars It was very poor. Rude, arrogant, standoffish would be a few words to describe service at most of the bars. I understand alcohol is not he most coveted drink in Morroco, but still the service was in general appaling. The restaraunts it was somewhat better but still ...
2) Room service: I wanted an iron ... could I get one? Not a chance. I had to pay for someone else to iron my stuff and that took over 6 hours. ... again very very poor for a hotel like this
3) Room service: I asked for beers and water to be topped up in the bar fridge ... did it happen? No not once over the whole week. I Asked 4 times and then just gave up.
4) Food: Yes, I got food poisoning. I was sick for 1.5 weeks after this trip. Not quite sure what caused it. I was careful with my water, and drinks ... so can only put it down to the food. Take immodium / gastro-stop with you!
5) The internet: just shocking ... would drop out at least 5 times a day and you had to enter a long code to reactivate. It was not just me, everyone experienced the same issues

So some strikingly good, and some strikingly bad ... would I stay again? Probably not, I'll try somewhere else.

Room Tip: I really liked my ground floor room as it had a nice grass area out the front
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank James H
Kenzi Menara P, Directeur général at SENTIDO Kenzi Menara Palace, responded to this review, 30 November 2013
Dear James H

First of all, I would like to thank you for choosing the Kenzi Menara Palace for your last journey in Marrakech, also for posting your review to share this experience with all tripadvsor’s visitors.
I’m glad to see that staff’s hotel has been helpful and available and you enjoyed our magnificent interior architecture, our large pool and our restaurants.
concernig the bar our selection has 20 alcohol cocktails, with 5 champagne and 7 without alcohol.
The Mini-Bar I am surprised that you have to call for beer and mineral water while the bar has 2 beers, mineral waters in 4 different composition and juice.
For the iron due to incidents of bad practice we do not use the ironing room, and finally for the internet maybe you're talking about a former residence you talk about connection problems while our code is as simple as possible.
I hope to see you again very soon to make your stay as pleasant as possile

Hatfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 November 2013

This is one of the best hotels we have stayed in. Our lovely large room overlooked the pool and well kept gardens. The service was very attentive in every area and the breakfast was plenty full with lots of choices.
We have nothing but praise for this clean hotel and hopefully you won't be disappointed.
We used the hammam, sauna and had a first class massage also enjoyed a tagine in the Morocan restaurant......what a way to spend a birthday!
Of course Marrakech was a fascinating place to visit which was 10 minutes away on the hotel shuttle bus.

Room Tip: We stayed in 226 but I believe most rooms facing the pool have balconies.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Kenzi Menara P, Directeur général at SENTIDO Kenzi Menara Palace, responded to this review, 24 November 2013
Dear Morrison Diana,

I would like to thank you for having chosen the Kenzi Menara Palace to spend your recent journey in Marrakech.
Hope will have the chance to receive you again in our hotel for another lovely time.

Vevey, Switzerland
Reviewed 16 November 2013

This is not a palace but a very nice 4 star hotel in western terms. Rooms are very spacy, same about the swimming pool (50 meters), though it is too cold to swim in this season. Breakfast is generous. Wi FI connection was unsatisfactory and we had to change our room because of that. Price was quite low for this class of hotel (132 Euros, out of season). Music in the gym room is noisy.

Room Tip: ask for upgrade
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Kenzi Menara P, Directeur général at SENTIDO Kenzi Menara Palace, responded to this review, 17 November 2013
Dear miani02

We are proud to see that you enjoyed our beautiful gardens, our buildings,, the diner and the lunch, also the breakfast with all these advantages and these delights and for the pool is at 23 ° to 24 ° even this week and it is Olympic form.