“Stranded In The Middle Of Nothing.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of SENTIDO Kenzi Menara Palace

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
SENTIDO Kenzi Menara Palace
Ranked #96 of 508 Hotels in Marrakech
New York City, New York
“Stranded In The Middle Of Nothing.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2010

In general, I like this hotel for what it is. It was a quick stop while on our way to Asia from NYC and I only did a quick tripadvisor search because I was so over doing all the research for the main leg of our journey. I had read about the pool not being open, but only after I booked the hotel and even then didn't know how much of a pain this would be since I had never experienced heat like this before.

If I could have walked around the Medina in wet clothes or just a bikini, I would have. They do provide a shuttle to another Kenzi hotel down the street and I totally wish I had booked that one because it was BEAUTIFUL with a fun DJ while this one just feels old in comparison! That hotel is also full of people while this one felt pretty light on guests. There was an indoor pool at the spa we could have used as well, and if you like to be the only person when you swim, you will love it. We had breakfast in the hotel each day and dinner there twice. The food was good, and the service from everyone was really nice. That was the one thing that I really liked about the hotel so I just overlooked the pool being closed.

I already knew that taxis would overcharge you if you ride from the hotel, but because I was usually not ready around the time the free hotel taxi took you into town, I did not mind. I just made sure to find a taxi who did not have a "broken meter" on the return trip. (Lots of taxi drivers try to rip you off in this city and say the meter is broken so it may actually be hard to find.) We finally did take the shuttle on the last day, but I really wish I had not because it really tainted my view of the hotel.

I was already a little sketchy about the place because everyone kept trying to push tours and such on us hard, but honestly, everyone in Marrakech was out to make a buck. We had planned everything out before we flew there so there was no need to book anything through the hotel.

One of the places the shuttle drops people off at is the "new city." There was a man and his child who got let out next door at Pacha and then it was just myself and another female in the car. The older, male driver had already been the first person at the hotel who was just not pleasant, but on top of it all, he dropped us off in front of a pile of rubble and points out that where we need to go is in the opposite direction. Conviently, he drops us off by another man he gets off the shuttle and starts speaking to who is of course a cab driver and says he can take us the rest of the way. Of COURSE the meter is not working and at this point there is NO ONE is nearby and NO OTHER TAXIS and THE GUY FROM THE HOTEL IS PULLING OFF. I would have rather just rode back to the hotel at that time, but since we were stranded all I could do was get in the taxi since I had no idea how far down the road I was from where I was trying to go. The guy told us 40 Dh to get a few minutes down the street by Zara as a reference in the "new city" and then when we got there he changed his mind and said he wanted 20 more AFTER giving him a 5Dh tip just so he could just be quiet and take us where we needed to be because he kept trying to take us to "his brother's shop which is the best place to eat" or "leather shops his friend owns." This guy was litterally pulling over showing us papers ads of these places, lol!

Coming from NYC I have no problem yelling at a pain in the butt cab driver and had it at that point between the two of them....I started yelling and refused to give the other 20, but 40 was still over priced.

I read tripadvisor all the time, and the reviews are pretty much dead on so I've never felt the need to write my own review before. After complaining to the hotel and the only thing they could say was that, the guy dropped us where no one was because it was "hot" so nobody was around.....I figure, let you all decide for yourself because as hot as it was.....as soon as we actually made it to the square, there were TONS of people both local and on vacay.

In my opinion, there are so many beautiful hotels here at reasonable prices so if you pick another hotel, your not missing anything.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank glamtrotter
jadrouge, Guest Relations Manager at SENTIDO Kenzi Menara Palace, responded to this review, 11 October 2010
Thank you very much for choosing the Kenzi Menara Palace during your recent trip to Marrakech city. I trust your stay with us was an enjoyable one, as you share that with others in Tripadvisor.
Our hotel is located in a peaceful 10-acre park and gardens, just 10 minutes by car from major attractions which makes it ideal as a haven of peace and tranquility.
We offer all our guests a free shuttle service to the town centre (Place de la liberté or Place Jemâa El Fna at their convenience) with prior notification at reception based on first-come first-served, due to a limitation of 8 persons in the shuttle bus (at fixed hours).
We are also pleased to inform you that the 1200m² olympic swimming pool is now open after being under works for 10 days, independently of our initiative.
We are eager to restore your confidence in our hotel. Please contact us directly if you have other questions.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2010

Just to let you know, on August 17th 2010 some major work on the swimming pool have begun and ther pool will no be available for at least a month. And this hotel without qa ppol is like a couscous wihtout grain : "what is the point"
Furthermore we book a Garden veiw, which is, for the hotel a Parking veiw, the good side of the hotel being the swimming pool view, so be aware
Otherwise, apart from the isolated location, the hotel is fine and the staff adequate. The air con was a bit weak though.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your feedback on your stay at Kenzi Menara Palace. We appreciate the opportunity to clarify what we think has happened. The outdoor swimming pool has been under works independently of our initiative. Please accept our sincere and unreserved apology for the inconvenience you experienced.
Nevertheless we put at your disposal for as long as maintenance work continues:
- the swimming-pool at Kenzi Menara Palace SPA
- the swimming -pool at "Le Pacha", 1 minute away(by car)
- the swimming-pool at Club Agdal Medina 2 minutes away (by car)
- the swimming-pool at Kenzi Farah 10 minutes away (by car).
The ride to Club Agdal Medina, to Pacha and to Kenzi Farah hotel were taken care of by the Kenzi Menara Palace. The maintenance works at the swimming-pool area didn't break into the peace of your stay.

We are eager to restore your confidence in our hotel. As a concrete form of apology, we offered all clients a free night, or a complimentary dinner for two, or a Spa beauty treatment at their convenience.

Concerning category room, you were able to change view by informing reception desk. They would be happy to serve you in a perfect way.

Please contact us if you have other questions,

Best regards
Rabat, Morocco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2010

we enjoyed our time in this hotel . it was really greatful : the swimming pool is so big and nice , the rooms are luxurious and spacious, the meals are delicious especially desserts. we have taken a sweet time and it had been a very good holiday . WE REALLY RECOMMEND IT

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2010

The hotel was beautiful to look at, and what a WOW factor when checking in to be greeted with traditional Moroccan tea, and fresh towels after a long and tiring flight.

Most of the team were polite and courteous, although if you had an issue it was slowly resolved if at all. We waited all day for an extra bed, and after not leaving a camera in the safe this was taken from our room and staff were very unhelpful, with no accident reporting procedure, nor any response or apology from the Manager. Food was very good, with a buffet breakfast fit for a king. Ali in the Restaurant was particularly helpful, with any queries or questions throughout our stay. The bar was closed by 11pm every night, and the mini bar charges far to high.

The pool was amazing, however the weekend got very busy and at one point we were refused towels and umbrellas, and in 40 degree heat this is NOT 5* service.

The bedrooms were huge and cleanliness levels throughout the hotel were outstanding. As previously mentioned Air Conditioning was feeble and never felt cool, even when maintenance did attempt to fix it. Free regular shuttle bus is great to get you into the medina and taxi should cost you no more that 50drm.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2010

Nice hotel, not sure it is a 5* but definite 4* for UK standards, service very good, good sized gardens and pool, liked the rooms, if you can stretch go for minimum double balcony room with garden views you will like the size of rooms, rooms have a nice big plasma tv (most channels are in french)

close to a big supermarket ( 5 minutes walk ) so ideal for stocking up on essentials, so if you are wanting to travel light you can get all essentials close by.

just watch out on the hotel prices, bit expensive, but this can be managed

watch out for the deceptive coffee, if you are used to uk hotels this is not complementary as I found out after a few cups and bit of hefty bill.

take a travel iron, as it is not provided by hotel

overall very good hotel, nice and clean and service is top stuff with very with friendly staff

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Manchester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2010

Stayed here from 8th-12th June, on a break with my wife, not the first time I have been to Morocco or indeed Marrakesh. Hotel was entirely as expected, the rooms are typical of a hotel of this type in this region, very spacious, staff always helpful and courteous. Mohammed and Ali in the restaurant were always keen to make you feel welcome and spoke good English, as did most of the staff, well much better than my French anyway :) nice walk around the gardens every day, a massage and relax by the pool, if you want the madness of the Medina and main square it's five mins away in a taxi. Hotel is situated in the quieter southern part of the town and if your mad enough you can walk into the centre. You are 10 mins from the airport by taxi. Hotel charges two additional taxes, tourist and some other thing equates to 80MAD per day extra.. the worst of the rooms are fine and the best are very spacious indeed. my room had internet access, and think there was wifi in the lounge, pool bar area is very nice but pity not open in evening. It was very quiet which only served to make it more exclusive for me. Some local building going on, but never bothered me and you are very close to airport where the local Moroccan air force are flying daily, it was quite cool to watch them flying in formation. Overall I think this hotel is great, the staff are great and the only issue would be some of the guests who seem to expect 7 star luxury at a 2 star price...

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Zagreb
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2010

OK, the hotel is absolute fantastic, but like in whole Morocco you need to be careful. I have read previous reviews here and I was warned about additional costs. There where list of prices of Mini bar so I can see before all prices. 4euro Cola, Fanta, Schweppes in 0,33 can, also water in 0,5 bottle. 9 euros 0,1dcl for votka, gin, wiskey, and 6euros for 0,33 can of Heineken.
I took Fanta and Schwppes on first night, and that was all I took form Mini bar in my 3 night stay. Next day they didn't put new can of Fanta and Schweppes and that was a problem because on the last day they tried to charge me like I took Fanta and Scheweppes two times. So watch on that if you don't want to have a problem. Also on final bill they wrote that I have consume a bottle of wine, and cola light in L'Oriental bar, and that I have sign the bill with my room number to charge me that. But I didn't took that, and they cannot find that bill, but I need to write all that on that bill that I didn't do that. Finally I paid only 8euros for what I took fro the mini bar.

Besides that everything was fine. Rooms are biiiiggggg, beds are great, I sleeped very well. TV has lots of programs including all JSC Sports package, there are lots of movies and music you can watch and listen on TV. In rooms there are ADSL and in the looby they have WLAN, both free of charge. Breakfast is similar every day, there are 6-7 hot, and also 6-7 cold meals, and you can eat as much as you can. I have used outdoor pool, even at the cloudy day when it was 18°C till 4 pm. After sun came up it was not a problem to be in the pool.

We have used hotel van to go in the city for 1 time (free of charge, but have a scheduled start), all other times we used taxi. There was WTCC race around the hotel in those days so every taxi driver tried to charge us 15euros for a drive to or from Djelma el Fna, as they told us that they need to go around, but that was a tipical lie so 5-6 euros (50-60 dirhams) is enough at the day, and 9-10 euros at night. Just told them that yesterday you have paid 50 dirhams and how it's possible that today is 150 (usualy they start with 150 dirhams).

I didn't have a time to use a Spa.

If you want to have relaxing and quiet vacations this is a great place.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business