“Great Riad, Great Staff!”
Review of Zaouia 44

Zaouia 44
Ranked #206 of 1,156 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Newcastle, UK.
“Great Riad, Great Staff!”
Reviewed 11 January 2011

We stayed here on our belated honeymoon (original was cancelled due to ash cloud in April!) and we had a great time. The staff here were great, Mohamed especially was incredibly helpful, helping us to arrange things to do and even taking us to meet a driver at 6 in the morning. The Riad itself is spacious and very clean and the rooms are large and airy. Breakfast was served every day on the roof terrace and evening meal (when we had them) were served downstairs in the cosy sitting room.
The only draw back to the place is that it is almost impossible to find! we booked a driver through the Riad to collect us from the airport as we were arriving late. The next day we went for a quick walk before breakfast and we managed to get lost within 2 minutes of the place. Although by the end of the week we'd pretty much worked out where we were going.
It is quite a distance from many of the main attractions (djemaa el fna) but the staff will arrange transport for you if you need it. We walked and it took about 30 minutes, which was fine as we visited in December but I imagine in the height of summer it would be a different story!
We will definately stay here again!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Marrakech, Morocco
Reviewed 18 November 2010

Dear Sophie & Frederic,

We would like to thank you again for a wonderfull stay we had in your Riad last week! Your riad was recommended to us by some Dutch friends, how stayed at your place a year ago.

The interior of your Riad is a splendid combination of western design and Marrocan traditions, and since we are running a interior design studio, I know what I'm talking about. Our room was great and we loved the space. As we told Frederic, we had the best meals in Marroco at your place. What a great staff you have over there.

We feld very special in your Riad and looked after. We had a very romantic and wonderfull time in Marrakech, and mainly because of Zaouia44 and its staff!

Karel & Mariska

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 November 2010

I recently invited 20 friends to celebrate my 40th staying 5 days in this riad, and it certainly was stunning living up to my expectations. As a London based interior designer, taking a whole bunch of designer friends away it had a lot to live up to, and it impressed everyone with its beautiful detailing, simple and tasteful. We had lunch, and dinner on various days and the staff were fantastic, setting up the dining table, and preparing the food. Every whim was catered for with the biggest smiles. Marrakech is an enchanting city and this riad made the visit a dream come true. If you have come across these reviews then your search for accommodation has just come to an end, book it!

• Stayed October 2010
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 October 2010

Dear Sophie & Fredrik,

I am writing to thank you most sincerely for everything that you did for us during our recent stay with you, in Marakesh.

The ride from the airport was very interesting and quite a culture shock !! But then to walk into the Riad and find a complete oasis of calm and tranquility was breathtaking. The whole trip was a complete surprise to me ! Tina had organised everything in great detail and I understand, with alot of assistance from yourself. All went completely to plan, with our visit to the cookery school at Tjane Tamsna being a particular highlight for me. A fantastic recomendation and one that you can happily pass onto other clients.

Also, can I ask that you pass on our thanks to Sadique and Ali. They are both a real credit to you and your establishment. Nothing was ever too much trouble and there was never a moan or a groan. Two real characters who deserve to do well in life. They helped make our stay more than memorable ! That also applies to our twelve quests.

It was also a pleasure to meet Fredrik, although please pass on my apologies for getting him out of bed to open the door on the Sunday night !!

We wish you well with the new Riad and thankyou again for one of the best holidays that we have ever had. Monaco is a regular haunt for us, but I must say that Zaouia 44 is now top of my list. Hopefully, one day, we will return.

CHARLIE & TINA

• Stayed October 2010
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 30 May 2010

Walking into the riad after trekking through the lane ways of Marrakech was a dream come true. This is a true oasis, beautiful decor, amazing rooms and even better service. Ali and Sadik make you feel like you are at home and go out of there way to help with anything you need.

Our room was exceptionally spacious and very comfortable and had a beautiful window seat covered in lattice overlooking the courtyard.

Breakfast was served on the terrace and in the courtyard and was exceptional. The morning we had to leave we had to get up at 5am to catch the train and Ali wanted to serve us breakfast that early before we left. Even though we declined his offer he did make sure to see us off at that early hour.

The only minor negative element to this riad is that it is a fair walk into the djemma and souks (15mins if you don't get lost, but often longer), and especially at night it was difficult to find our way back without getting lost. Despite this I would highly recommend you stay at this beautiful riad.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 31 March 2010

The worst part of this riad is finding it. But once you get there, it is an absolute gem. Everything about this place is great. A beautifully designed location. It was everything we were hoping for and more. The beds were so comfortable, they might as well have been clouds. The food, whether the spectacular breakfasts or dinner, was superb. There are lots of little nooks to have a cup of tea and just relax. The roof deck is a great place to unwind and just to view the medina.

But what truly set this location apart from other hotels was the staff. I didn’t feel like a faceless guest at some huge hotel; I felt like I was staying over with an old friend in their home. Ali and Sadik went beyond anything I could have imagined. To showing us the countryside, restaurants, nightlife and even helping us with a flat tire, I couldn’t be more grateful for their keen sense of hospitality. Anyone staying in Marrakech must stay here!

Since many guests are French, here is a translation from Google of my review:
Depuis de nombreux invités sont le français, voici une traduction de Google de mon avis:

Le pire dans ce riad est à la trouver. Mais une fois que vous y arrivez, il est un véritable joyau. Tout savoir sur cet endroit est grand. Un superbe emplacement. Il a été tout ce que nous espérions et plus encore. Les lits étaient tellement confortables nuages, ils pourraient tout aussi bien pu être. La nourriture, si les petits-déjeuners ou dîner spectaculaire, était superbe. Il ya beaucoup de petits coins d'avoir une tasse de thé et se détendre. Le support du toit est un endroit idéal pour se détendre et juste pour voir la médina.

Mais qu'est-ce vraiment définir cet emplacement en dehors des autres hôtels a été le personnel. Je ne me sentais pas comme un invité anonyme à un immense hôtel, je me sentais comme si je restais plus avec un vieil ami à leur domicile. Ali et Sadik a dépassé tout ce que j'aurais pu imaginer. Pour nous montrer la campagne, restaurants, vie nocturne et même nous aider avec un pneu crevé, je ne pouvais pas être plus reconnaissants pour leur sens aigu de l'hospitalité. Toute personne séjournant à Marrakech doit rester ici!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends
sf_laurab
Reviewed 21 February 2010

It goes without saying - because so many before me have already done so - that the design and atmosphere at Zaouia44 are fabulous. It really is exquisite in a relaxed and refreshing way. It is located in the heart of the Medina, but in a spot that is quieter and more tranquil than the area around the souks and the electric Jemaa el Fna. Zaouia44 is like that friend who always looks chic in an effortless kind of way. Ali and Sadik are above and beyond what any traveller could hope for and they take genuinely great care of all the guests. Their warmth and friendliness take Zaouia44 to a new level of service. The proprietors, Sophie and Frederick, make you feel as if you've been invited to their home for the holiday. I travel alone quite often and being invited to join a meal amongst their friends was a rare and unexpected treat. And I haven't even gotten to the food yet. Absolutely everything that came out of the enviously spotless kitchen was delicious. Kefta? my new favorite food. Tagine? surreal. Crepe? surreal. Eggs? best I've ever eaten. I can't wait to bring my family to visit this place someday.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled solo