“Beautiful charming Riad”
Review of Riad Sidi Mimoune

Riad Sidi Mimoune
Ranked #286 of 1,172 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Great location for roaming the streets of marrakech. The staff were extremely helpful, they could not do more to help you. The Riad is beautiful with a small pool in the middle which is very refreshing in the summer. Breakfast is also pleasant and homemade. I thoroughly recommend this place.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Would NOT recommend this riad at all!! I don't want anyone out there to have their holiday ruined!
first of all you must speak french or arabic to be treated with a bit of dignity.
Unfortunately we spoke neither.
positive note: The night that we arrived, we were greeted by the lovely caretaker who made sure we ate before we went to sleep.
Negative points from here on out:
on the 2nd day of our trip, my nephew took ill and we had to take him to the hospital, we returned to the hotel after, and I politely asked (while very distressed) if we could be moved to a room downstairs as if my nephew were to be taken ill again we would be on the ground floor instead on the top floor which has no lift, and my nephew is a big lad, who me and his small sister can not carry down the stairs, he suffers with seizures which happen very quickly, so we don't get much of a warning, and the riad is not accessible by car for a good 5 minutes. but the owner who we had now met for the first time was soooo rude and outright rejected our suggestion, no empathy, no human bone in is body, all he cared about is money! he ended the conversation with is that ok? and i replied no its not ok, which he replied to by saying 'its ok for me'. so we went back up to the 3rd floor. I would not have minded if he had refused us but if he did with a little bit of decency!
hidden charges:
we were told that we had to pay 30 euros for 'city' taxes.
then another incident happened where we were told that water was not included in breakfast 4 days into the trip!! what happened: we had been asking for water on the 2nd and 3rd day for breakfast, with no mention of any charge, and then on the 4th day my niece went to ask for water at breakfast, and then the owner decided to mention that the water was 6 dirhams, my niece came back and told me, so I gave him 6 dirhams, my nephew went to pay him the money, to which he replied that it is now 10 dirhams, despite the fact that it was 6 dirhams 10 seconds ago, by now there was more guests at breakfast now. So his son, said to us no we have a price list, and we said where is this price list- to which he showed us a price list- which was on a table that we never ALLOWED to sit on! (we were told where to sit, and asked to move, even if no one was sitting in that place)! as the other customers could tell we were not happy with this, they said in front of everyone else it was free. Later on that day, the owner calls me over, and hands me a bill of 85 dirhams, which he had been keeping a tab of our water consumption without informing me! the sheer sneakiness of this man!! to say it was free earlier!!

meals:

Breakfast- jam, butter, honey, bread, plain yoghurt and orange juice- was breakfast every morning!! absolute rubbish! we tried the moroccan tea and their pancakes (which apparently is not part of the normal breakfast)- so disgusting- the morroccan tea was bitter and the pancakes- were like dry hard sponges!!

dinner: cold starter- which was just vegetables with a bit of chilli powder on it.
main: tagine- finally some decent food, occasionally came with couscous if were lucky!
desert- occasionally fruit and one time they gave a caramel flan- watery and flavourless and looked so unappealing.
very basic cheap yucky food!

room- toilet ventilation system: our room was en-suite, which at first glance- very convenient, but then we came to realise- actually if anyone uses the toilet the smell comes through to the room!!

amenities- the swimming pool that you can see in their pictures- is absolutely tiny! and the bridge is so low down that you can't actually swim/paddle properly, also its right in the middle of the reception, so when people walk into the hotel the 1st thing they can see is you!- no privacy at all. We also tried the massage- we booked for all 3- and we requested a male masseuse for my nephew, however only one woman turned up and she was 15 minutes late and on top of that she gave a painful head massage and did not even give us the full time.
WIFI- absolutely rubbish- could not use in our rooms except for a little corner in our room. and also downstairs again just in the reception area.
on our last day- we asked the owner if he could tell us when our taxi driver calls the riad as he did the 1st night so that we would know when to go to the main road which was 5 minutes away. to which he responded 'that's nothing to do with me, you booked it with your travel agent, you sort out yourself!' so we had to wait in the baking hot sun, because he couldn't bothered to tell us that the taxi driver had called!
overall I would advise definitely do not go to this riad if you want a decent stay in morocco!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Hasina H
Reviewed 12 July 2014

So central in Marrakesh, 10mins walk to everything but why would anyone walk in this heat when Taxi's are 25p a km?? The Riad is very clean and the staff were extremely helpful and nice.

We were half board because there's nothing worse after a hard days haggling having to think about finding dinner. The food was simple and authentic. I imagine what real Moroccan home cooking is like. If we requested earlier breakfast or later dinners they always accommodated us.

We don't enjoy air conditioning which usually works too well or not nearly enough (just enough to suck all the moisture from your soul) so we requested a fan and were given a super duper silver thing that made the rest of our sleeps very pleasant.

We ordered a taxi from the airport, the taxi driver phoned the Riad before we arrived, a staff member came down the street to meet us and show us the way. And any time we arranged transport or trips away the taxi drivers came to the Riad to get us, no fuss. I'm not sure what the problem is with the alleyways, they aren't a hassel at all and we never got asked for money by the lovely kids that were around (like I read here somewhere?).

We just really enjoyed our stay here and would highly recommend it. We certainly got a standard of service and accommodation exceeding our budget.

Room Tip: We had a room at the top which means you step out to a usually empty top roof space with loungers an...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Sharon H
Reviewed 1 July 2014

A wonderful place to stay, very peaceful and the staff are really helpful.
The location is ideal, just a 10 minute walk from all the hustle and bustle of the the main town and square.
We ordered a taxi from the airport which was €20, we could have got one ourselves cheaper but with it being our first time in Marrakech it took the worry away from finding the Riad down the little alleyways with our luggage and arriving late at night.
The breakfast was basic but always fresh and served with a smile.
Look forward to staying there again!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Lea698
Reviewed 27 June 2014

We were a party of four at the Riad Mimoune. The place was just right for us and the staff was truly wonderful. Our only reservation would have been a fridge in the bedroom. This would have made a great difference. It would have been nice also if we had a kettle for tea or coffee. We would have liked to relax at times on the terrace having a hot drink.
However, we did have a pleasant week there and we would recommend it to anybody. We were told that there was a fridge in the bedroom before we had booked. This turned out to be not true.
It is within walking distance to Jema El Fina and most attractions within the medina.

Room Tip: rooms further away from the stairs are slightly more spacious.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 19 June 2014

This Riad can only be reached by walking through the alleyways. Hospitality is excellent. Guests are educated travellers, mostly French. As a single male traveller (49) I felt most welcome and 'part of the hotel family'. There are only about 6-8 rooms here so it has a cosy feel with many varied places to sit and relax. There is also a basic roof terrace with loungers and tables and chairs, so you can escape for some sun or snoozy shade.
Breakfast is simple, home baked breads and conserves, fresh orange juice, mint tea or (only) instant coffee unfortunately.
Bedrooms are simple but functional, I was single but still had a double room. Being a terraced Riad my room only had a window facing into the Riad courtyard. This didn't bother me at all, but worth bearing in mind when booking a more basic Riad.
Walk in shower, all clean and functional.
You can walk to the medina in 5 mins from here and 10 mins to Kourtoubia mosque and bus depot.
All in all I would definitely recommend Sidi Mimoune for a sightseeing traveller on a budget. One thing - do NOT have a massage, the woman is not trained and does not have a clue what she's doing - not worth €30. Go elsewhere.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

I travelled to Marrakech by myself and stayed at this great little Riad. It is just a couple blocks from Jema El Fna square and in the Medina.
Do not expect to find this hotel without a little help. Your taxi can only drop you off close to it and it is very unlikely you will find the hotel without someone showing you unless you have been to it before... Once you are settled, however, getting to and from the hotel is easy and convenient.
The room was average and staff were accommodating. I had a great time at during my stay.
The internet quality was great. This really helped and surprised me.

• Stayed: June 2014