“Not perfect but we really enjoyed our stay.”

Imperial Plaza Hotel
Ranked #421 of 499 Hotels in Marrakech
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Not perfect but we really enjoyed our stay.”
Reviewed 30 September 2012

I stayed at the Imperial Plaza last October and we really enjoyed it.
As others have pointed out it had its flaws but also it's good points.

Flaws
Bad Wifi connection, it only worked in reception.
Breakfast buffet was a bit strange (scrambled egg with pepper and onion, tomatoes topped with cheap cheese, mixed veg and chicken) though the pancake service more than made up for it.
Inappropriate music (hard, offensive rap) poolside.
Good points
Pancake (Mesemmen) bar at breakfast and tasty pastries and coffee.
Beautifully tiled restaurant with delightfully odd, fun music (Arabic versions of ABBa, etc)
Roof top pool with lots of loungers and roof top bar that served basic food (paninis, etc)
Beautiful views of new town and Atlas mountains from roof
Clean comfortable rooms with air con, balcony 2 double beds in twin rooms.
Friendly service and good advice re trips, how much cabs should costs, nice places to eat.
A short walk from a shop and a bus stop for short buss ride into the Medina (old town)
Within walking distance of Mohammed 5 (main shopping street in new town)
Short walk to the Jardin Majorelle (the absolute best place to be in the heat of the day).
If you book half-board, you can pick whether to have lunch or dinner.

Overall I really liked it, despite the flaws and it was really cheap for what it was. I loved going back there at the end of long, hot, fun, tiring days.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 23 September 2012

I have read mixed reviews for this hotel and was slightly wary of the hotel when booking, but had a groupon voucher so went ahead anyway. I spent 4 nights at this hotel during the first week of September. It wasn't a good start with the hotel driver being almost 1hr late but we were well received at the hotel and the room was decent. the staff are friendly in their own way and the relationship manager nadia gave some very good advice about Marrakesh, although she was slightly aggressive. The breakfast was OK, not of 4 star standard, but the pastries were good. Wifi was disappointing as the signal only worked properly in the reception. The hotel also had some spa facilities but these were in desperate need of a clean, especially the Jacuzzi, but the views from the roof were great. Overall i think our stay was good and we did not encounter some of the issues other travelers have mentioned and therefore i can't really discredit the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with atlas mountain views, but if you want wifi in room, ask for room near elevator...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
prestonpreston
Reviewed 21 September 2012

We spent three nights in this hotel due to purchasing a 'Groupon voucher'. Given that a lot of people had rated this hotel as reasonable/good on here (admittedly some bad reviews also) I thought it might be ok, but how anyone could give this hotel a good review ill never know. It was the worst place ive ever stayed! Despite emailing (and receiving confirmation) to say we wanted an extra night/person this had not been communicated. Reception were abrupt, not welcoming and disinterested. Each day there were insufficient towels and we had to walk downstairs (we darent take the lift due to the worrying noises it made) three times on one occasion before we received more- on one occasion we simply got our own as we located the store. We were asked on one occasion to wait twenty minutes for someone to bring a towel (we refused). The food was disgusting- the milk was off, bread stale, eggs black. Hideous. The hairdryer in our bathroom had bare wires showing and was right next to the shower- at one point I could smell burning. The breakfast room was dark and stuffy. The air conditioning in the room was terrible which made it difficult to sleep as it was 36 degrees.

The only good thing about this place was the pool on the rooftop.

I would never stay here again and advise nobody to go.

Room Tip: Dont go here.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Marrakech hotels

Sydney
Reviewed 13 September 2012

Having visited over 200 cities around the world - some big, some small, first world and third world, and stayed in Hotels and hostels - this was the WORST.
In Summary
* NO HOT WATER - was fixed one night (after 5 1/2hrs of me waiting in my room and six visits from the handy man) then the next night I was advised there were too may guests and there was nothing they can do
* TOILET BROKE - wouldn't flush
* FAR AWAY FROM TOURIST AREA - a good 20min walk to train station and 30 min minimum to tourist part of town - also, not many taxi drivers know where it is - even when I showed them address and maps!
* ROOM SERVICE - Couldn't call for it - had to order at the pool or reception - ordered the same thing a second time and something different - that cost twice as much showed up - with STALE BREAD and chips that had been re-fried so were disgustingly oily and hard - Oh, and they charged me twice as much.
Each time I went to reception I could sense their eyes rolling and sighs of exacerbation every time I left - and I had to physically go down to reception because they don't answer the phone!

Bad water pressure - I can deal with - no hot water, I cannot. When I advised reception, it took a guy (with terrible BO) Six visits to my room across a span of five and a half hours to finally get me some hot water (this was 5.5hrs I had to sit around waiting). The next morning, when I used the toilet, it would not flush - I advised reception on my way out for the day and when I was back, it was fixed - but back to no hot water.

Also, quite far from town, so couldn't just nip back to drop off bags or change shoes etc.

Pool looks far better on photos than in real life, and the bar by the pool only sells beer and softdrink (super inflated prices) - no cocktails or anything else.

DO NOT STAY HERE!!!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank jenw83s
Granby, Canada
Reviewed 19 August 2012

We spent 6 nights at the Imperial Plaza during our trip through Morocco, 4 nights before and two nights after crossing ofer the High Atlas. It has a lot going for it. There is the beautiful view of the High Atlas and the city from many rooms, the refreshing pool on the roof, the big, confortable rooms, but on the other hand it can be noisy from the street, the balkony doors need an adjustment to get them to close properly, there was no hot water for over 12 hours one day of our stay. WiFi is ok in the lobby and around the pool on the roof, but only rooms close to the elevators get it. Most staff is friendly, but the reception is not very responsive. We phoned for toilet paper in our room and had not gotten any after more than one hour when I saw the maid working in another room and simply got some rolls from her. The breakfast and dinner buffet is of variable quality and quantity.

Room Tip: Rooms higher up have good views.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank WolfyP
Inverness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2012

we booked our holiday on the 31st dec 2011, opted for the imperial plaza, after confirmation, I read the comments and wondered what we'd let ourselves in for! have to say the only complaint we could come up with was the short dusty walk from the hotel entrance to the main road! Our welcome was warm and friendly, room was better than many major hotel group offers on the market in this country. there was no member of staff uncourteous to us.
I was unlucky enough to have an accident that required stitches, the hotel staff whisked me to the local hospital and I was treated immediately although it was really busy! A service much better than the NHS. the hotel made numerous telephone calls for us, which we did not have to pay for! It was also during ramadan and although services are limited during this, the staff did everything they could in order for us to enjoy our stay!

Room Tip: ask for an atlas view!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank John A
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2012

Where do I start? - Hotel seemed ok to start, although we were told it was Ramadam we did not realise the full implications of this. I shared a room with my 2 daughters, and my cousin had a room by himself. Within hours our aircon had stopped working, I reported to reception and they seems uninterested with the problem then said they would send someone up to look at it, they sent up the guy that carried out cases up (as they say jack of all trades master of none) he did everything we had done and told me to give it 15mins - we decided to pop out to shop which was not open... came back and air con was still not working and went back to reception and told them it still was not working and demanded another room, which I eventually got and it was bigger. As you can imagine we were now all very hungry and was told food was being served in the roof restaurant but that was limited but filled the gap - we were told the dinner was from 8-10pm so was looking forward to that. We got ready for the great meal walked towards the large dinning room which was totally dark and then went back to reception and they instructed us to door next to dinning room very small with about 6 tables. There was another couple just about to finish their evening meal. The waiter showed us to our table then placed cutlery as we sat down then disappeared (I was eagerly waiting for a menu) he appeared 15mins later with a starter of salad eg boiled eggs/carrots/lettuce/anchovies etc which was smothered with a type of 'Daddy's sauce/balsamic vinegar. My eldest daughter (23yrs) and cousin ate but myself and my 11yr old daughter could not eat. I was totally disgusted that we had not even been given a menu - then came out the main meal, chicken (similar to chicken kebab) served with uncooked oversalted rice, we all sat there amazed at the sheer down right BAD service and food, the waiter came in and saw we had not eaten alot and asked 'what is your problem' we told him that the rice is raw and salty and they we should be told in advance what is on offer at dinner timesat and I also told him that there should not be cats walking around us whilst we eat, he 'chased the cat out, he replied he is sorry but its up to the chef and they are never informed either before dinner, he came back with dessert of melon which was refreshing and our only real food of the night. He came out and seems quite embarrassed and said had asked the chef and they would be serving 'Moroccan Tagine' the next night , I asked if they could serve chips for my daughter and he said that will be fine. The next day we visited the 'soukes' and Jardin botantical gardens which was nice in the 41 degree heat.As it was Ramadam no restaurants served food till after 8:30pm (Mc Donalds and KFC were opened) again got ready for evening meal went down at 8:30pm to find the small dining room closed went to reception they said because of Ramadam food will not be served till 9:30pm and they seemed totally uninterested at our disgust. We started walking (half hour to nearest shops) to look for somewhere to eat we found a great Italian/Moroccan restaurant which was great the owner used to own a restaurant in Brighton. We had our evening meal there for the reminder of our stay. On our last day thought we'd just hang out round the pool and have our snack there like we did on our 1st day, the pool and our room was the best thing about the hotel. We decided to order chips for 12'ish the waiter said he was sorry but we would have to wait until 1pm - no worries thought.... went back to order at 1pm to be told that they could not serve chips on their own, only with a burger, I said ok then he came back and said that they had ran out of Chips and could only serve 'crisps'. We ended up going to shop next to Hotel and buying pringles and a bottle of coke and chocolate to keep us going till our Italian/Moroccan restaurant opened at 6.30pm.
We also had problems with our phone ringing at random times and up to 11pm at night- we unplugged it, on one occassion the phone rang and the person on the other end said they were engineers I assumed it had something to do with our aircon not working so had a conversation the the engineer asked me to meet him at the reception, I went down leaving my 2 daughters in our room and asked the lady on the reception were the engineer was who had called me down she said there was no engineer and no one had called me she checked our room and obviously my daughter answered she said it was most likely a wrong number but I actually think there could be some sort of Scam going on there so be careful as you go to reception someone could be on their way to your room ....... ~Breakfast was disgusting ............ never again my worst nightmare would be to be stuck there .........

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family