“Fantastic Hotel and Staff!”

Imperial Plaza Hotel
Ranked #404 of 496 Hotels in Marrakech
Taunton, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Hotel and Staff!”
Reviewed 2 December 2013

I stayed here for a week with my son and partner. We couldn't have asked for more! Nadia at the front of house was so warm and welcoming and spent time making sure we found the right excursions that we would enjoy and explaining the local area. I have to say thank you to Abderrazzak for his language lessons!!!! We couldn't have enjoyed our time here more!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Polish first
Ebene, Mauritius
Reviewed 21 November 2013

This was booked for me by my travel coordinator before I had checked its review here. After seeing the mostly negative reviews here, I was apprehensive and expected the worst.

It wasn't as bad as I had feared. I stayed in two rooms (rm 207) and also (509) and in both, the rooms were clean as well as the bathrooms. Water flowed with no problems (albeit with less pressure on the 5th floor)

The Good:
-------------

Airport pickup was efficient and on time. When I missed my flight on the last day, my travel coordinator called and they sent a vehicle to come pick me from the airport. The staff are all generally nice and courteous.

i particularly thank one of the waiters whom I rushed up (from outside the hotel) in an emergency asking for sugar and he gave me 4 watches of sugar - no questions asked. That might have saved a diabetic's life out on the street. I thank him for just giving me the sugar and not asking whether I was a guest or not.

Many people said good things about Nadia ... I concur ... she is really nice and motherly ... and kept trying to make me feel at home after she discovered I'd missed my flight.

Internet access worked and was fast in both rooms. That's always a win for me. It is also free.

The Bad:
----------

Little choice at breakfast .... compared to the other hotels I stay at ... breakfast here as terrible and the same thing each day.

I heard from a staff one has to pay 3EURO per day to use the in room safes .... that's a first for me!

The bed coverings are a bit old and show. The towels aren't as white as i am used to but they are clean.

Conclusion
-----------

In a nutshell ... if you just need a place to sleep and then go out for business or touring ... this may be it. But its not the kind of hotel you want to spend all day in your room.

Room Tip: Room 509 has a beautiful balcony with a seat that looks out into a nice garden. But be careful ... t...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
devon
Reviewed 19 November 2013

waiting staff all lovely breakfast good evening food ok if busy you get a buffet otherwise it is rubbish with no choice,spa and gym didnt get used too expensive,the girls that work there are great think its front of house thats the problem here and they need to get the room locks sorted as i must have been up and down 40times because couldnt open my door.rooms clean and maid lovely 4th floor wont be back

Room Tip: another hotel in the hiverage area looks alot safer and nicer
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Barbara G
London
Reviewed 8 October 2013

This hotel is not that great. We stayed here as part of our our trek to the Atlas Mountains so we stopped there the night before and the last night. The rooms are okay but when we arrived the AC didn't work and none of the plugs worked. We told them that we needed AC at the very least before we went out to dinner but when we arrived back nothing had been done. They came up around 11.00pm (not what you need when you just want to go to sleep and have an early night for a 5.30am start) and pulled half the ceiling down before it was fixed. Surely better to get us to change rooms? Clearly not.

Breakfast was okay but not overly great, nothing really appealed to me apart from the tea. If you like bread and cheese and cake? you will be okay.

Swimming pool was alright but there were not many sunbeds so a bit limiting when you have a group of 34 people who want to chill out after 2 days in the mountains.

I asked for a iron and iron board on the last night but the hotel didn't have one. I find it hard to beleive that a 4 star hotel didn't own one iron board. The phone in the room didnt work so every time we had an issue we had to walk to reception. There was no shower curtain so everytime I had a shower the bathroom got utterly soaked!

All in all a bit of a dive, NOT a 4 star hotel (more 2 stars) but okay when you are urgent need of some decent sleep.

Ps, The main city centre is quite close so about 15 minute away in a taxi. Its quite interesting walking around there with some nice roof top resturants.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank GizzyKelly

Travellers are raving about these Marrakech hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 September 2013

Location - Imperial Plaza hotel - in the town Semlalia. We booked this hotel as it said it was a 4 stars.
Please do not be fooled by the website pictures. The hotel is a two star.
Meals :- Breakfast we got OLD stale bread. The milk was curdled when we were so looking forward to our morning cup of coffee. before we left on our early morning excursion.
Nadia will be helpful, only if you go through her booking the excursions etc.
We were worried about the towels. there was no difference between your face towel and the towel on the floor by the tub!
There is no communication between staff and management if you want to solve any problems.
We wanted to move rooms as I was not happy with the first room. There was No fridge, but there was a unit for a fridge and it was empty. There was No bidet. We requested for a room with a double bed when we did our booking and we got a room with twin beds and the room was awful.
The second room we got was over looking the main street full of garbage and extremely noisy.
The staff seemed to have got so imuned to customers complaining of the food - break fast or dinner. That there was noting they could do. One day at Dinner time I told the staff that the bread rolls are so hard, that I could play cricket with it. she laughed and walked off.
The restaurant staff give you a menu card. which is in French. NOT everyone can read or speak french. If you ask for a translation from the staff they tell you something totally different.
So the dish they present to you is not what they said.
THEY DO NOT KNOW THE DIFFERENCE FROM RICE OR VEG. DIABOLICAL ATTITUDE!!!
The lifts were not working properly. the corridors were very spooky. we had to tell them to put the lights in the dining room or else we were in the dark HAVING OUR MEALS with dim lighting.
The manager sits on his high horse, when ever he passed us in the lobby he never had a smile on his face - he had NO CUSTOMER CARE SKILLS. He is cheating the public by saying its a four star hotel.
Please get this message across to all travellers its A TWO STAR!!!!!
The number of times we had to get our room key re coded.was scary!!!
Not forgetting to mention even before we got our room key, They were so quick to ask for the government tax! the rep was pressuring us to book our excursions on arrival. In the end we told the staff to please give us our room key FIRST.some of the staff at the main reception have any customer care skills. They look so inefficient. They do not make any attempt to understand you if you speak english. ( I must say not all of them)
I WOULD SERIOUSLY NOT RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL EVEN FOR FOR FREE!!!
I just got back yesterday I could not wait to type this info to trip advisor.

Room Tip: We requested our room when we did the booking. They give you any OLD CRAP ROOM, It makes no diffe...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Fathima2013
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 September 2013

Location: This hotel although on the edge of a more modern area, is on quite a quiet out-of-town street with a lot of rubbish around it. Cheap enough to get into town but hassle to get a reasonable price from taxi drivers (30 dirhams we were advised).
Facilities/staff: Pool area ok although gets busy, spa woman very unhelpful when asking for towels for the pool - shower in room was good and bathroom clean, although twice in our four nights stay we had to ask reception to fix the water as there was none coming out of any of the taps! Daily, we would get back to our room and the key card wouldn't work so we would have to go back down to reception and ask, which was annoying. Otherwise, aircon worked and beds were comfortable. Staff were generally helpful enough but didn't speak good English.
Food: Only one 'restaurant' which disappointed us because we were half board. We were not given a choice on the first night, although the meal we were served up with was ok. However, there was no buffet any of the evenings, and only a choice of two options at dinner, at times this food was very bland. Breakfast was ok but could have been better in terms of selection. The bar was unable to serve any of the cocktails listed on the menu any of the nights we were there, as well as the majority of the bottles of wine also listed on the menu. When we asked for these items on the menu you would think we were asking for gold dust!!! To top it off, I got food poisoning the third night in. The staff however were helpful to find me a Doctor.
Other: Excursions arranged via Nadia at the hotel - one excursion was achieved to the waterfalls which was very good. However due to severe sickness had to cancel the next evenings' Chez Ali excursion and had to put up quite a fight to get a refund of only 2/3 of the money back. Overall wouldn't recommend this hotel, or for that matter, Marrakech. Having travelled extensively, there are a huge amount of other lovely destinations.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Emma O
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 September 2013

The first thing to say is the photos on their website must have been taken when the hotel was brand new as the hotel is nothing like them. The staff do their best and Nadia the hotel rep was a huge help to us especially when I fell ill on our last night. Thankfully we only used the hotel as a base and were out on various day trips so only came back in the evening. However on several ocassions when we returned we found we had no towels in the room and one time, only one of our beds had been made and the dirty linen left on top of the bed that had been made?? We also found out half way through the holiday that we should have had a fridge on the room. The pool is much smaller than it looks in the photos and can get quite crowded. A word of caution, if you buy any food from the woman at the pool bar, make sure you get a receipt. We ended up paying twice because I didn't have a receipt to prove that I had already paid and I was left with no choice but to pay again after she caused a scene in front of the other guests. This was our second trip to Marrakech and we will go back but we will not stay at this hotel and would not recommend it to anyone else.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family