“Lovely retreat away from all the hustle and bustle...”

El Miria Palais Riad
Ranked #57 of 499 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed 31 January 2014

My friend and I returned from a four night stay at Palais El Miria. This is an excellent hotel. My two main concerns when booking a hotel are;
1. are the rooms clean?- after a hard day of sight-seeing all you want is to shower in a clean bathroom and sleep in a clean bed.
2. is the customer service good?- are the staff friendly and helpful?
I booked this hotel after reading previous reviews and I have to say that the hotel excelled at both requirements. The rooms are impeccably clean and luxurious (they always smelt amazing too) as is the rest of the hotel. Also if you are traveling off-season it is good to know that the air-conditioner doubles up as a heater (which we kept on during the night). The hotel itself is designed in the style of a traditional riad with a central courtyard and has a pool at the rear which is beautiful at night as it lights up. Unfortunately, it was too cold for us to swim at this time of year but it was cleaned daily nevertheless.
All staff were friendly and attentive. We were welcomed with mint tea and pastries while our bags were taken to our rooms and passports photocopied. I also celebrated my birthday while in Morocco. My friend had mentioned to the manager the previous night that it was my birthday. The manager organized a cake to be made at the hotel kitchen and it was brought out on my birthday with all the staff from the hotel singing to me. I was so touched that they had all gone to such effort to make my birthday special. Its not often you see hotel staff going the extra mile to make a customer feel welcome and at home. The cake tasted amazing too. One thing I would say is that it would be beneficial to speak French. Menu’s and instructions at the hotel are written in French and the staff feel more comfortable speaking French. We managed to get by with our “school French” but might have struggled if we didn’t know any.
So, I only have a few small points that didn’t bother us in the slightest but might bother others so you should be aware. Wi-Fi in the hotel is really only available in the dining/lounge area. We didn’t seem to get any in our room which was actually outside the main building of the hotel but still within the complex. I don't know whether the other rooms could access wi-fi. Secondly, this hotel is not in the centre of Marrakech. We loved this since it gave the hotel a peaceful and quiet atmosphere. It takes about 15 minutes and costs approximately 100 Dh to get into the centre by taxi. But I think the hotel is designed as a retreat and escape which is how we used it so these things didn’t bother us.
On our final day we visited the spa for a traditional hammam experience and massage which we loved. The spa is in the basement and is tranquil and peaceful, and also beautifully decorated. It was also reasonably priced I think.
A small point that bothered us was security. When we left the hotel for the day we would leave our keys on a tray at reception. The reception area was sometimes left unattended so someone could have potentially helped themselves to our key? Dinner/drinks, excursions, spa treatments etc are put on a tab that you pay at the end of your stay so it is good to keep a mental note of how much you are spending otherwise you might be in for a nasty surprise.

All in all it’s a great hotel and I would thoroughly recommend it!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Pinksparklybling84

Reviewed 25 December 2013 via mobile

Incredible place and people!! The staff is always smiling, everything is very clean, and the food, oh the food, its amazing!!! Surely will come back some day!!! The people who run the place are very nice, and everything guest wants is always quickly ready upon request!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 December 2013

My husband and I purchased tickets to the World Cup game in Marrakesh. The stadium is close so we chose this Raid. We were able to walk to the game and back. The staff was wonderful, The food was very good and our room was beautiful. The grounds were kept up prefectly. I was able to sleep in on the day we left at no extra charge. The shower gels were all artisian and simiply divine. I would recommend this quiet getaway for anyone.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 December 2013

Me and my wife spent a very enjoyable week at the El Miria and greatly enjoyed our stay. They were extremely hospital to us, the food was excellent, and the setting makes for a very tranquil and relaxing stay. Furthermore we were upgraded to a wonderful room midway through our stay.
If you are looking for a relaxing spot than this is ideal.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PeteT79
Reviewed 14 October 2013

We spent the day at El Miria and felt so relaxed afterwards. We paid 650dirhams for a day by the pool, a Hamman, massage and three course lunch. Very impressive setup. Staff were very friendly and only too happy to help. Highly recommend!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Retired_at_30
Reviewed 10 October 2013

Pretty much agree with all the positive comments on here. This is a great hotel to relax in and recharge those batteries.

It was found for us by our excellent Travel Counsellors advisor, Emma Slatter http://www.travelcounsellors.co.uk/emma.slatter

The hotel was quite different to anything we’d been to before. Very small with only a few staff looking after our needs. 3 waiters, 3 receptionists, a small housekeeping team and a gardener was all that was needed. We enjoyed a very good level of service from the staff who were most pleasant and accommodating. We were given a 'buzzer' to call for service which is much better than being constantly pestered by staff. Entertainment was provided by a family of tortoises, which just about matched the pace we wanted to live at for the week! At times we felt a bit like ‘royalty’ as there were only 2 or 3 of the 10 rooms occupied most of the time. No issues therefore in getting a sunbed etc.

The room booked was one of their ‘standard’ rooms. It was clean and decorated in a North African style. Quite small, with not much storage space, but would have been sufficient for our stay. There were a few things which required attention (safe locked, shower drainage slow, some lights not working) and I asked for something to sit on in the shower. I told the receptionist about these things and within an hour or so she told me they would move us to a larger room later in the day. The staff moved everything with great care and we were set up in one of their larger rooms by tea time at no extra charge. You will appreciate its often the small things that make a holiday and in this case I would certainly say the standard of housekeeping in the room and having one of the best showers I’ve ever used made a significant contribution to our enjoyment. Also the layout of the hotel meant a very short walk between room, restaurant and pool with no stairs to manage.

The food was very well cooked but the downside was lack of choice. Breakfast was a simple croissant and bread offering with jams and syrups. A small choice of sandwiches were available at lunch and dinner was generally couscous or a tagine with lamb, beef and once only chicken. Drinks were expensive with beer at almost £4 a bottle and wine about £20 a bottle. It was a good wine though!

There was a very ‘trusting’ style about the place. Keys were just left on the table at reception and you weren't asked to sign for anything after each ‘extra’. However the front door to the hotel was locked and there were a number of security cameras about the place. I was a little concerned about how our bill was building without seeing regular receipts, but I needn't have worried as I believe they got it spot on.

The transfer to and from the airport worked well. Smooth with no delays. The pickup for our return was at 6pm and after a quick word with the manager at the hotel he said it was OK to keep the room until we left and no charge was made.

So we enjoyed it, but a difficult one to make a general recommendation about. I think it possible that some would find it isolated and boring but not us on this occasion. It fitted our needs very well.

Room Tip: For a stay of more than a few days an upgrade would be well worth it.