My friend and I returned from a four night stay at Palais El Miria. This is an excellent hotel. My two main concerns when booking a hotel are;
1. are the rooms clean?- after a hard day of sight-seeing all you want is to shower in a clean bathroom and sleep in a clean bed.
2. is the customer service good?- are the staff friendly and helpful?
I booked this hotel after reading previous reviews and I have to say that the hotel excelled at both requirements. The rooms are impeccably clean and luxurious (they always smelt amazing too) as is the rest of the hotel. Also if you are traveling off-season it is good to know that the air-conditioner doubles up as a heater (which we kept on during the night). The hotel itself is designed in the style of a traditional riad with a central courtyard and has a pool at the rear which is beautiful at night as it lights up. Unfortunately, it was too cold for us to swim at this time of year but it was cleaned daily nevertheless.
All staff were friendly and attentive. We were welcomed with mint tea and pastries while our bags were taken to our rooms and passports photocopied. I also celebrated my birthday while in Morocco. My friend had mentioned to the manager the previous night that it was my birthday. The manager organized a cake to be made at the hotel kitchen and it was brought out on my birthday with all the staff from the hotel singing to me. I was so touched that they had all gone to such effort to make my birthday special. Its not often you see hotel staff going the extra mile to make a customer feel welcome and at home. The cake tasted amazing too. One thing I would say is that it would be beneficial to speak French. Menu’s and instructions at the hotel are written in French and the staff feel more comfortable speaking French. We managed to get by with our “school French” but might have struggled if we didn’t know any.
So, I only have a few small points that didn’t bother us in the slightest but might bother others so you should be aware. Wi-Fi in the hotel is really only available in the dining/lounge area. We didn’t seem to get any in our room which was actually outside the main building of the hotel but still within the complex. I don't know whether the other rooms could access wi-fi. Secondly, this hotel is not in the centre of Marrakech. We loved this since it gave the hotel a peaceful and quiet atmosphere. It takes about 15 minutes and costs approximately 100 Dh to get into the centre by taxi. But I think the hotel is designed as a retreat and escape which is how we used it so these things didn’t bother us.
On our final day we visited the spa for a traditional hammam experience and massage which we loved. The spa is in the basement and is tranquil and peaceful, and also beautifully decorated. It was also reasonably priced I think.
A small point that bothered us was security. When we left the hotel for the day we would leave our keys on a tray at reception. The reception area was sometimes left unattended so someone could have potentially helped themselves to our key? Dinner/drinks, excursions, spa treatments etc are put on a tab that you pay at the end of your stay so it is good to keep a mental note of how much you are spending otherwise you might be in for a nasty surprise.
All in all it’s a great hotel and I would thoroughly recommend it!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- El Miria Palace is situated on one of the oldest oases of Marrakech. It was recently built in the purest Arabian-Moresque style similar to the grand vizier's residences. All the rooms of the hotel have the comforts expected in an establishment of very high standing to incite guests to feel like Sultan and Sultana. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with LoveHolidays, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, Cancelon and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your El Miria Palais Riad reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.