“Nice Hotel”

Ranked #101 of 500 Hotels in Marrakech
leeds uk
“Nice Hotel”
Reviewed 18 June 2011

What a wonerful time at this hotel. Service could not have been better. The manager is great for the way he runs the hotel and even got on stage one night!. Staff were always happy and cheerful and the food could not be faulted. The outsite pool was cold in April but you can always use the indoor one. £700 for 10 days all inc, is good value for money with Thomsons

Room Tip: rooms over looking the pool are the best.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank paulhargreaves

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,304)
  • Turkish first
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2011

We booked this last minute instead of going to the lake District and wasn't sure what to expect after reading mixed reviews on Trip advisor.

We arrived about 10pm, the restaurant had been kept open but we didn't bother and went straight to the reception to check in. This was painless and we were presented with a map showing where our accomodation block was and were told our cases would follow shortly.

Upon leaving the reception we were met with the loudest frog chorus you could imagine and this was a nightly affair for about two hours. All that was missing was the budweiser sign. Please bare in mind that for all you that like nothing but silence the frog pond is no where near the accomodation blocks.

All the accomodation looks the same and if it wasn't for the many members of staff strategically positioned in order to assist we would have struggled to find our room.
The room itself was fairly large and unusually the toilet and shower room were separate which suited us as our teenage son was sharing the room with us.

The pool area is huge and there were always plenty of sun beds. We did adopt two poolside pillows that were dotted around and these really did make a difference when lounging around the pool. There is a pool bar but there are self service drinks machines including a beer pump which are regularly monitored and kept clean by staff as there was a real problem towards the end of the week with wasps. Obviously not the hotels fault but they were a pain.

The standard of food was good, nothing was left unattended and there were chefs cooking little and often at each station rather than piling it all in a tray. Breakfast was pretty standard, loads of eggs, pancakes and so on. Dinner for me consisted mostly of pizza or a burger as it was too hot to eat much in the day and in the evening there was a good variety and special themed evenings.

We tried all three restaurants but preferred the main buffet as there was more choice. I would say that the one we preferred the least was the moroccan, but you must try the cold lambs brain, it's delicious !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The white wine in my opinion was ok but I'm no expert, my wife added lemonade. The beer was cold sharp and refreshing and shorts fairly strong. The cocktails however are a complete waste of time.

There is very little in the way of evening entertainment. The entertainment team are tireless but there is only so much they can do. The staff in the hotel from the gardeners to the manager were all friendly and nothing was too much trouble. We did have one problem with our cleaner who for some strange reason kept removing our spare key card from the room. Even the reception staff could not understand it but were very helpful.

All said it was a good hotel and I would go back. Especially for the price we paid.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank SheffieldersS6
London
Reviewed 17 June 2011

Sorry this review has taken a while. I stayed at this hotel with my husband and our 9 year old son for a week in April. Overall it was a good holiday and feel free to PM me with any questions.

Getting there
We travelled with Thompson (the hotel was one of their Platinum holidays). The flight was short and transfer to the resort was hassle free (25ish minutes), we were dropped off second. We arrived to a non alcoholic cocktail that was very nice and refreshing. They had opened the restaurant especially for our late arrival and encouraged us to go for something to eat before checking in. On checking in we received our wristbands and were informed that we had a ‘very nice room’. The check in experience was lovely, the staff were fabulous and our bags were taken to our room promptly.

The Room
We had a lovely room in a very nice location, it overlooked the pool and was on the first floor so had an adequate balcony with a table and two chairs. We spent many nights chilling out here after returning to our room when the little one was in bed. The bed was large (two singles pushed together but really didn’t matter) and very firm which I loved- all the bedding was very fresh and our son slept on the sofa which doubled as a single bed. The bathroom had a decent shower and separate toilet. This was great when we were all getting ready but you did have to go into the bathroom to wash your hands of use the bidet! Ladies the hairdryer is OK- I have very thick hair and was glad I had brought my own more powerful one
There was a bottle of sparkling wine in the fridge on arrival and every day two large bottles of water were put in the fridge. Turndown service was good, we tipped when we used it (every other day) and the towel swans were a nice touch. Overall I would describe the rooms as basic but comfortable, modern and very very clean.
There were no tea and coffee making facilities in the rooms.

The pool
Very large pool which looked amazing but could benefit greatly from being heated in the colder months. I ventured in twice when it was very hot in the sun but the pool was so cold I could not stay in for long. Lots of brave kids (including ours) loved it though.
The animation team were enthuastic and there were a range of basic activities for those interested daily. I didn’t take part but there was poolside bingo, French bowls, volleyball, pool volleyball, aqua aerobics etc. There was a kids club but all the English children hung out around the pool which could get a little lively at times!
We always found a seat by the pool but the times that people would get up at to reserve one of the double beds was ridiculous- the towel game is in full swing here. We sent our bleary eyed son down with towels at 8am most mornings and there were loads to choose from.
It was a beautiful pool area and we really enjoyed spending lazy days here there was a self serve coffee machine, soft drinks machine, beer pump and a pool bar for everything else. The music could be a little much but get seats as far away from the pool bar to minimise this

There is one main restaurant which is a buffet and two smaller Moroccan and Italian restaurants which are also buffet and require reservation. We did not bother with these, having been told they serve food already available in the main one.
Now, I am fussy, I mean really fussy. We stayed in Turkey last year and I lost weight because I could not eat the food and, though I expected better this time I did not expect it to be great. It was great! Of course it has a canteen feel to it and you have the occasional ill-mannered guest to contend with but as far as the food goes I was very impressed. Sure its not five star, but as far as all-inclusive buffets go, this is the best. You are seated and a waiter is supposed to get you water and leave you to it (sometimes we seated ourselves to do away with the formality).
Starters I never really bothered with, I went up several times and had a selection of things each night and never got bored. Most meat items were cooked in front of you, hygiene was always maintained and I watched carefully for warning signs such as cross contamination! I had a beef goulash that was easily the nicest I have eaten, the beef was tender and there was an amazing depth of flavour enhanced with the sweetness of tomato and thyme. They also (at different times)had melt in the mouth roast beef, chicken skewers that were very tasty, rump steak, veggie kebabs, different types of potato, a few different types of pasta and pizza (all really good). They had a huge salad bar (I didn’t try this- was unsure about potential tummy upsets) and a huge dessert bar (some typically syrupy sponges but some real gems like the cream puffs with icing) there were some show cooking desserts (fritters etc), on most nights. On top of all this they had a separate kids corner and Moroccan dishes (hubby loved the lamb tagine).
Lunches were available very close to the pool and again a wide selection of sandwiches and foods mentioned above. Everyday there was a BBQ with delicious (if slightly different) sausages and burgers and chicken. There was a Panini station and pasta special every day.
Snacks were available outside main eating times and consisted of chips and sandwiches and these pancake type things which were very popular but too bland for me.
One thing I found very appealing was the self serve ice cream and sorbet which was available all day- the kids (and my husband) loved this extra touch.

Bars and nightlife
As mentioned before, smoking is allowed in all areas except the restaurants, I thought this would have been more of a problem than it actually was- a few times we moaned to ourselves but on the whole it was OK. I was shocked to see people lighting up all over the place in front of little kids though!
The bars were fine, they got busy at times but we tipped and always got served quickly. The barmen like you to list your drinks order at once or they can be very annoyed- as I found out one night. I didn’t realise this unwritten rule and listed the drinks one by one to receive a rude remark from the barman. I was shocked to say the least and the lady beside me expressed her surprise also. I asked the man for his name and he became confrontational and defensive. Eventually he was shepherded away and the manager appeared and would not give me the man’s name- I assume it was because they were afraid I would complain. They sent us over a bottle of champers to sweeten us up but I did feel nervous going for a drink the next night. I would like to point out that the barman in question relaxed once he realised we were not going to hold a grudge and went out of his way to make amends- they work hard and long hours...but still.
The beer was nice, spirits good (vodka, whiskey, gin and rum all tried and tested). Cocktails were premixed and varied in strength but in general very refreshing and tasty. The non-alcoholic cocktails were amazing and very welcome on the hot day. The house wine was drinkable, no more no less. The sparkling wine was lovely- we had two free bottles on our first night and on our final night my husband bought one from reception for about £12 and the barman gave us one free (it pays to tip- they notice). We drunk them on the balcony and I had one hell of a hangover to contend with the next day.
Entertainment was rubbish- they tried hard but it was dire, the ‘nite club’ was almost empty most nights so DONT pick this hotel if you are expecting a party atmosphere.

On the whole the service was exceptional (except for the incident above). We tipped (about 20Dirhams every couple of rounds) and did receive a superior service and extra attention (they would bring drinks to our table, serve us at the bar immediately). To be honest we didn’t see too much tipping and you will get good service without but we like to reward hard work. We tipped the maid 20Dirhams for every turn down.

Marrakesh
The hotel runs a regular shuttle bus for free into the centre of Marrakesh but the last bus back is around 6pm, we did venture into the Medina once but it rained so heavily we did not stay too long, the souks are a must see and there are so many bargains to be had. Sunglasses that retail in the hotel for 120 Dirham’s can be found here for 3 Dirham’s- yes THREE! We bought a lovely oil painting for next to nothing and he gave my son a free one and a wooden box we now keep keys in. The place is like nothing I have ever seen before and is an assault on the senses. Ladies, dress appropriately and respect local customs- knees and shoulders covered is a good place to start. You will get some people trying to start a conversation to sell you stuff or get you to eat in their stall- tell them you have already eaten but will be back next time!
We got a taxi back to the hotel at night for about £12, it really is true that road signs don’t apply in Morocco- very scary but what an experience! There was a heavy military police presence and I felt quite safe (this was before the bomb).

Marrakesh airport
I found the check in experience quite frightening, there were staff on strike who were making a lot of noise and trying to take control of the baggage carousel- there was no danger to us but we had no idea what was going on and the check in staff pretended they did not know. The Thompson reps told us and I felt more at ease. After this we proceeded to the departure area. I had visions of spending lots of money in duty free and being dragged onto the plane dripping with purchases. How wrong I was, there was a couple of shops selling a few Moroccan products (agan oil, etc). The two shops we went into sold the same things at varying prices, I tried so hard to find something to buy but could not- that is a feat for me- the shopaholic. I resigned myself to a drink and a bite to eat but even that proved difficult. There were two eating establishments (if you can call them that) serving a very limited selection of overpriced snacks. After queuing for over 45 minute I paid over £8 for a bottle of Corona and a pack of Haribo- this place is trying to give Dalaman a run for its money.
Thank goodness for Thompson and their two bottles of Bombay Sapphire for £22, but even this was a rip off because the server promised to return with our £5 note and forgot, as did we until the way home.

All in all I enjoyed our holiday, there was not much to do apart from laze around the pool. This was perfect for us for a week but any longer and I would have gotten itchy feet. I would not return here because I have many places to see. If I did return to Marrakesh with my son I would choose this hotel.
I’m not in the habit of complaining for the sake of it but those who say it is equivalent to five star are mistaken if they are judging by English standards, it is a lovely hotel but it is not five star (a buffet at a five star hotel?). I doubt anyone would be expecting five star at these prices but what you do get is in fact a very clean comfortable hotel with superb opulent communal areas and great food. The exterior is beautifully landscaped and home to several cats (who don’t get in the way or annoy you at all) and what sounds like a million frogs! If you want a relaxing, all inclusive holiday with decent food and are realistic with your expectations than you will have a good time here.

Tips
Hotel shop is so overpriced, please bring enough sun cream, we paid about £20 for a bottle!
-Tip the good service- you will be rewarded too.
-Ask for a mojito, its not on the menu but they will make them if its not busy/ you are a good tipper
-Eat before the airport
-Haggle in the souks (aim fto pay 1/3 of starting price)
-Go on the trips (we ran out of time!)
-If the cocktails are not strong enough- ask for a cheeky shot of vodka or whatever you fancy
-Go to the managers welcome night, I didn’t try the canapés (I did say I was fussy) but hubby loved them- me I just guzzled the champers
-Check out the stunning receptionist who is the double of Eva Longoria-Parker

Enjoy!

Room Tip: The best and closest rooms have a pool view,
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
9 Thank LondonFlorita
manchester
Reviewed 17 June 2011

This was my first time at a Riu hotel and I was expecting more!
I do have to bear in mind its not 5 star! Pool is the best area of the hotel although some thought needs to given around the pool. There are too many sunbeds its too busy, maybe have sunbeds and parasols on the grass too or build another pool. The towel situation is frustrating. The pool is huge so you need to go right over to the other side to get drinks and towels. As it is so big I would recommend a towel area at both ends of the pool as well as another bar area. Waiter service would be an idea too, I will admit on the last day a waiter pushed a trolley round once asking if anyone wanted a drink. No room service.
Rooms spacious very big, quite empty. No iron! Would have to go to reception and pay 500 dirhams deposit. Didnt bother thought it was too much hassle! No tea or coffee in rooms.
Moroccan and Italian restaurants really need to be waiter service as the main one is buffet. All 3 are buffet and I think if you book in the other 2 it would be "special" to be waited on, even it you had to pay a charge.
Out of town, but just a taxi ride away. Location was fine 150 dirhams into centre. about £14.
Maybe I am just being a bit oicky after all price was only £500 for a week all inclusive so taking all into consideration was good.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 June 2011

We stayed at this hotel at the beggining of june for 11 nights.
please ignore the bad reviews by people who have nothing better to do on there holiday but complain.
We arrived to the hotel about 9.30 at night greeted by friendly faces and a yummy cocktail which we thought was a nice touch.
Rooms are spacious and clean although a double bed is two singles pushed together we got used to it after a few nights.
The grounds and pool area of the complex are immaculate and the gardens are beautiful.
The entertainment team are a great bunch they dont stop from morning til night loads of games and activities to participate in and was a real laugh at times.
We never went hungry so much choice everyday,beautifully cooked and very tasty. Desserts are to die for and must be tried.
All the staff that we encountered were so friendly and happy all the time nothing is to much trouble for them.
we did a 1/2 day trip to the souks and medina in marrakech main town, lets jus say it was an experience. You could get lost very easily so we thought it best that we went on the trip with a guide. do not go on your own if your not sure.
Overall we loved the hotel and would return and recommend to friends and family. do not listen to bad reviews your holiday is what u make of it. Enjoy !!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank KateDobbo89
brighton&hove
Reviewed 15 June 2011

Hi we have just arrived back from this Hotel and could not fault anything from the wonderful helpfull staff to the very large clean room, the large swimming pool was sometimes a little chilly but as the temp went up to approx 40 some days it was needed. The entertainment team were great, the shows were a little out of time but that made them. You have to remeber these young people are about from 9.30 in the morning doing lots of activities and then doing the show from 9 45 till approx 10.30 We are looking at going back in October so if anyone has been then and give us an idea of the weather then I have looked at the online weather but if someone has actually stayed during this time it would be helpful..

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank SouhernBelle
Reviewed 14 June 2011

Stayed here 19-26 may.. Really enjoyed my stay here.. The hotel was very clean and the staff very helpful. The only negatives was the food was pretty bland and the entertainment in the evenings were poor.. We had a day of rain and apart from the lobby bar there wasn't anywhere to go.. I also didn't rate the trip aroundMarrakech gardens.. Especially the outdoor pool where the olive trees are as it was filthy and had dead kittens floating in the water..

• Stayed May 2011