“Beautiful place to holiday”

ClubHotel Riu Tikida Palmeraie
Ranked #105 of 499 Hotels in Marrakech
herne bay
“Beautiful place to holiday”
Reviewed 16 August 2011

This hotel is beautiful, very modern but with some classic morrocan themes. It is very spaced out with litlte hidaways if you wanted some privacy. The air conditioning is just right around the hotels and in the rooms.
Everything is kept very clean from the very spacious rooms ( maids are great) the hotel interior the restaurants, bars, pools and the lovely gardens.
The food is plentyful and always lovely, maybe a little to good as it was hard to resist and as a result ive put on a few pounds (oops). There is no queing for food or drinks everything ticks along nicely and there is plenty to go round.
The staff were very friendly and could not do enough for you, they were all on Ramadan when we were on holiday and although they couldnt eat or drink they still stayed cheerful.
The pool is enormous with plenty deckchairs, although these get taken very early with people putting towels down and leaving them there, lucky for my family im an early riser.
There are also lovely big family beds with drapes on them for shade these are a real treat.
The indoor pool is a good size and is lovely it is quiet and great for exercising.
My husband had a wonderful massage in the beautiful spa which has a lovely big pond outside this is home to coy carp ,turtles and frogs. The frogs make a lovely noise at night croaking to each other but be carful where you walk at night as the frogs will jumps out wherever they feel.
Jason and sarah the thompson reps are great they knew there stuff and were brill at there jobs.
The bars do shut at midnight so if you feel like a late night you may need to get a few rounds in.
My son and daughter were able to use wifi with no problems there is and area with comfy seats to relax in whilst using computers ipods, phones etc.
Marakesh itself is wonderful its like stepping back in time the souks are a bit scary but we had a guide which helped, we did a camels ride that lasts for an hour the camels are very well behaved and we also went up into the atlas mountains which was stunning and a worthwhile trip.
There was only 1 thing that was a bit disppointing and that was the entertainment it really wasnt up to scratch day or night maybe iv been spoilt at other hotels but it wasnt just us who thought the same although the African show was alright.

Powell Family Kent

Room Tip: We had rooms 5011 and 5013 which were connecting rooms which looked out on the tennis courts with lo...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Trevarno

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,296)
  • Turkish first
Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2011

Very much 4 star....not 3 not 5. Staff very friendly but not in your face. Wide choice of buffet style food- great for fussy eaters. Room a decent size(there were 4 of us Inc a cot),but not huge. Everything very clean. Pool was the best thing it's great for all levels from babies to grown ups, it's well designed with a graduated access and a good layout. It was peek season when we were there but there was plenty of room. Sun beds were a little bit of an issue with some guests getting up at 5 to bag them the management cracked down on this rightly so and we always found one. We were aware of some wear and tear to tiles and decor around the place but on the whole the landscaping was lovely. Excellent to for buggies and wheelchairs. We could have done with a kids disco that started at 6.30pm and not 8pm....30mins after dinner service begun resulting in poor attendance.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Manchester, UK
Reviewed 15 August 2011

My family and I enjoyed a lovely week at this hotel at the end of July. This was our first time in Morocco and our first time at a RIU hotel.

Good Points:

The hotel building is attractive and modern, I liked the way it was laid out and the grounds were beautiful. Our rooms were spacious, clean and very well presented. The air conditioning was very efficient (and quiet) and we found the firm beds to be very comfortable indeed. As for other reviews regarding noise from other rooms, our daughter and her friend were staying in the next door room and we didn’t hear a sound from them for the whole week- and I don’t think for a minute they were being very quiet!
The chambermaids do a super job, and they provide some lovely towel art as well as keeping the rooms spotless.
We all thought the food was excellent, lots of choices and you could always find something to suit your palate. We didn’t try the Italian restaurant, but did book for the Moroccan, which was very nice. From what I understand, they operate two sittings in these restauarants- the first at 7.00pm and the second at 8.30pm. The main restaurant is huge, so is not the place for a little intimacy. I thought that you would have to queue for you food all the time due to the number of people staying at the hotel and the size of the restaurant, but any queues were minimal and not a problem at all.
All the staff we encountered were pleasant, always wanting to help and professional. We couldn’t fault them at all.
The pool is very nice indeed. We didn’t find it that cold, in fact it was a refreshing change from the heat. There is also an indoor pool, and a small gym for those that are interested in that sort of thing. We didn’t use the spa facilities while there, so can’t comment on their quality but did hear good things from others who had used this service.
The Thomson/First Choice reps were very helpful and knowledgeable.

Areas for improvement:

This is an all inclusive hotel, and obviously all food and drink is included. What got me a little frustrated were the size of glasses in which drinks were served. While we were there, the temperatures were extremely hot- often above 40 degrees celsius. I would have therefore liked to been able to drink a large glass/cup of juice/cola etc, instead of having to get two or more drinks from the bar. This would also have speeded up the service at the bars as people would not have had to make so many trips. Having had only one previous experience of an all inclusive hotel, I felt that I wasn’t being treated as a responsible adult due to the sizes of glasses given. I am not a big drinker, but do like a nice large cold beer from time to time and this was a little disappointing. On a similar theme, it would have been more civilized for us as a family, to enjoyed a bottle of wine with our meal, instead of making a few trips to collect the glasses of wine that were laid out for you. I know this is not the hotel’s fault, but maybe Riu should look at this aspect. My previous experience of all inclusive provided a more extensive drinks menu as well, at the ClubHotel Riu Tikida Palmeraie there was the usual vodka, gin, brandy and whiskey. It would have been nice to also be able to choose Tia Maria, Malibu, Baileys etc. Maybe I have just been very spoilt with my previous experience!

The hotel advertises free wifi in the main building (lobby, lobby bar and restaurant). Due to the number of people accessing the internet in the evenings, actually getting and maintaining a connection at times was very difficult. I think the hotel needs to invest in some larger bandwith to alleviate this issue.

We (four) usually found some sunbeds for the day, but I do think this is an issue. On our last day, we didn’t get to the poolside until 9.30am and there were no sunbeds available anywhere. The pool guys are very helpful and do find some for you eventually, but this isn’t really the point- I’m on holiday, I don’t want to have to be getting up early to secure sunbeds, in fact, I would like to have a lie in, take a leisurely breakfast, then go down to the pool and sunbathe. The basic fact is that it appears the ratio of sunbeds to hotel guests does not match and therefore if you want somewhere together you are forced into this annoying ritual of putting your towels downs first thing in the morning. I would like the hotel to think of developing more areas- possibly away from the pools (and quieter), which could be used for sunbeds. The grounds are beautiful and extensive, and I believe this wouldn’t be too difficult to arrange.

Overall, our holiday was highly enjoyable. It is not perfect, as I have highlighted above, but having paid less than £600 per person I feel this represents excellent value for money and the overall experience is still very good. If anyone was thinking of going to Marrakech, I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: We stayed in 1st floor rooms (4106 and 4107), overlooking the pool area- excellent location.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank Oatesy
Charlton
Reviewed 14 August 2011

Let me say the good first, the rooms are spacious and nice, quiet AirCon, lovely balcony. Everything is keep very clean and tidy and mostly the staff are very helpful and friendly. The pool is great end you can always find a spot however if you have a preference it's hard to get as the pool towel come out very early (I got there 7.15 am and a lot of places were already gone) - that said I was perfectly happy with what was left and at this time of year you want to get an early start on the tanning as it get's VERY hot around 12. That the animation team make announcements on the speaker system every half hour might be ok - but the bingo numbers??? if you don't want to take part in the activities go to the end of the pool as fare from the speakers as possible as it otherwise get quite loud.
But, but, but the food was very disappointing - since I went to Morocco I had expected to be able to eat something other than chips, pizza and pasta or chicken stew - if you wanted Moroccan you had to book the specific restaurant, which I tried - I was told that there was no availability into Tuesday and since Monday was my last day.... Well when I went past on my way back to my room both Sat and Sun - tables had already been vacated at 8.15 so why they couldn't have suggested to me to stop by to check if there might be a space is beyond me. Also the breakfast was a buffet style with load of variety and it was all good BUT they served canned pineapple - there weren't any figs, dates or apricots -everything in season now- there were some apples, plums and pears but they seamed to be more for decoration.
So as I said you can find something to eat at every meal and the staff is working hard but it's just a shame that there wasn't much local.
I would recommend this hotel for people travelling with children 4 -12 but it is about 20 min drive from anything going on in Marrakesh so if you want anything but sun I would say find a different hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank skibitte
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2011

Just got back from the Riu Tikida Palmerie on Friday Morning, and had an absolutely brilliant week!!!

Upon arrival, the staff offer cocktails and direct you straight to the dining hall for some food - and a great introduction the array on offer. Following this, check-in was simple and speedy before going on search of the room. We were in a 4000 room, one of the furthest away from the main building - but no more than maybe 3 minute walk to reception so of no great issue to us at all!!
The room itself was well furnished - although I am confused as to why it is made up of two singles rather than one double bed, with all the concrete built in furniture there would be no way to seperate the beds anyway, but that's an aside anyway! Aircon worked, although maybe more by luck than judgement as adjustments seemed to make little difference, but it was always cool and comfortable so we were happy. Plenty of mosquito type bugs, and plenty were splatted against the wall (as they were when we got there too) but I'm not sure that any actually bit us anyway.

On the note of room noise, if you didn't hear any - well you didn't have anyone in the room next to you!! This was the case for us for the first half of the holiday and I thought the reviews were nonsense, until our neighbours moved in, and you can hear all but talking basically!!

We did have a few issues with the cleaners though - one day the patio doors were left opened, and the curtain pulled slightly off its rails. the next day the front door was left unlocked whilst we were out for 11 hours, and on the day after that the patio doors were once again left open. Perhaps a bonus of being one of the last rooms, was that there is no real passing traffic to notice these issues.

Mentioned this to the receptionist who did little to help, but Sarah, the Thomson rep got the curtain fixed and the doors weren't left open again.

The food at the hotel was great, at all three meal times there was a brilliant choice of cuisine from around the world, many of it cooked to order. There are also two speciality restaurants, whilst we didn't eat in the Italian, we did hear good things of it from other guests. The Morrocan restaurant was lovely - great food and a lovely atmosphere. It would be nice if these specialities had a little more waiter service though.
Also on the All-Inclusive front, the bars are well stocked, and barmen are friendly. But get the same cocktail from any of the three bars and it will be different, which wasa bit wierd!! Many people have issues with the size of the beer glasses, but to be fair, in 40 degrees plus, I don't want a full pint warming itself by the side of the pool, the smaller glass makes sense!

The pool is a great size, and never particularly deep, it has a great ledge around the whole edge that makes sitting on the side and keeping cool nice and simple so you can read at the same time! There are some poolbased splashy activities, so you need to think a little carefully as to where you place your towels in the morning if you want to avoid the dampness that may ensue. The BEES around the pool were of no great issue to us at all, staff frequently pass round collecting empty glasses, but if you simply move your sweet empty glasses away after finishing, the bees have no reason to bother you at all!!

In terms of tours - we booked ours through the Thomson reps, as they were cheaper than other local companies (wierd I know) and we went on the 'Discover Marrakech' a long, full day walking tour exploring palaces, tombs, souks, and shops! Highly recommended - epecially if you are lucky enough to get Khalid as your guide! A few stops for some high pressure selling, but all good fun - especially if you like your bargaining! :-)

We then went on a half day Quad biking excursion - super fun - even for my wife who was terrified on the practise loop, but out on the open tracks there was no stopping her!!!

Final trip was a 4x4 trip into the high atlas mountains. Fantastic views, and a great day out , but not quite so much off-roading as might be expected on a 4x4 trip (none other than when the road gets a little patchy for 100meters).

We also made a trip into the city to see the Marjorelle Gardesn which were rejuevenated by Yves Saint Laurent, and was simply stunning - definitely go there!!! we got the free shuttle bus into the medina, then a horse drawn carriage to the gardens (80dirhams), for us it was just too hot to go back into the souks so we got a taxi back to the hotel (100dirhams).

The spa was good too - we each made use of this - and remember to book your treatment between 1 - 3pm for 20% off!!!

All in all, we had a brilliant time here, we took no part in the very minimal entertainments - and if anything this is the biggest let down of the hotel. There is no professional entertainment on an evening - just some staff members making a poor attempt! This needs serious improvement!!! Having not stayed at another Riu property I have nothing to compare it with, but we heard first hand that it is no where near the quality of other Riu hotels in the world.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank cmmercer
Stourbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 August 2011

Me and my boyfriend have just returned from a week at the Riu Tikida Palmeraie and we have had a fantastic time!!!

One arrival (late night) we were welcomed with cocktails from the staff and the restaurant was left open for us (with LOTS of food available). We were then able to check in at our leisure after eating which was a very nice touch.

Our room was fantastic, clean, large and well equipt with mini fridge and 2 double wardrobes. I hadnt taken my hairdryer and when i spotted the generic tiny one attached to the wall i was worried but it was actually really good and i never had a problem. The A/C was excellent which was needed in 50 degree heat!! We couldnt find the switch for the ceiling fan but it was totally unnecessary anyway! Nice size balcony with furniture and 2 bottles of water replenished daily.

The pool and pool area were excellent...especially the comfy double sunbeds with pillows :) you needed to get down there quite early to get one though (we were already up early for breakfast so this wasnt a problem but if you like a lie in on holiday you may struggle!!) there are always standard sunbeds available though.

I was a bit concerned about the food before we went as we have never done a couples all inclusive before but it was great! the food in the main restaurant is good (sometimes average) but in the 2 speciality restaurants all the food is delicious and prepared fresh. The Moroccan restaurant was our favourite and we loved the freshly cooked skewers and the authentic Tagines. The Italian restaurant was just as impressive (it becomes the pool bar during the day but is a totally different experience in the evening) the miniture lasagne is a must :) and there is a chef cooking fresh pasta dishes to order. In both of the speciality restaurants you are table served for drinks but have to collect your own food. there is however, a lovely atmosphere in both so you almost forget its a buffet restaurant! The main restaurant has themed nights including chinese but as you could book in for the speciality restaurants in advance for as many nights as you liked, we only ate in the main restaurant once.

The food during the day was good and lots of variety, pizza, pasta, salad, soup, BBQ meats, fresh morrocan dishes, Pannini grill with chef and LOTS of desserts! Breakfast is served in main restuarant but you can sit on terrace if you do not wish to sit inside. Omlete chef at back who could not do enough to help! very friendly and when i asked for the healthier option of egg white omelete he prepared this for me and then made sure the other chefs knew my preference incase he was not there on one of the mornings!!Drinks were nice, cocktail menu and Rose wine was particularly nice (and im fussy when it comes to wine!!) Local spirits but all fine and Lager is also very nice for 'holiday beer!' Cant fault food or drink at all!

We did not watch any of the entertainment so cant comment but staff are all very friendly and day time activities are just enough...volleyball, water aerobics etc but never felt hassled to join in and pool area was always very peaceful. Water aerobics was for half hour before lunch where music was louded and pool was more crowded but was quite fun to watch if not participate so no complaints!!

A trip to Marrakech on the (very convenient!) courtesy bus is a must!! what an experience...it may not be an experience you enjoy much but definitely a must see!! Most stall owners and locals were friendly but just be aware of what you choose to wear (for respect purposes) and be open minded. The last courtesy bus was at 7pm so if you want to go in on a night you will have to get taxi back but they are readily available and only cost about 10pound.

Overall a fantastic holiday. We are gutted to be back and would go again in an instant!!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank genna n
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 August 2011

The rooms an hotel itself were spot on.. We stayed in Aug 2011 so the temperature was in the late 40's most days.. Hotel and rooms were air conditioned..
Food wasn't brilliant but there was always something to eat so not fantastic on that front..
Loads of people have moaned about the sunbeds but get up early (8.30am ish) anyway and could always find a couple.. Unless u get up at the crack of dawn you won't get the comfy beds.. We had our moveable umbrella taken a couple of times but we had left for hours on end & I thinks ita the workers who take them for other guests rather than actual guests..
We didn't go on any of the trips but took the shuttle into the Market in the day to get our bearings then went out for food a couple if time at night! I would seriously suggest you take a walk around at night time as it's abit mental, nothing scary (we are two girls by ourselves)..
Brilliant holiday, hotel and staff top notch and plenty to do in the towns -new town is more built up and the old town is stalls and random folk walking around!
And be prepared to hand over cash if u take pictures of any of the locals. Nothing major but a few durhams...

• Stayed August 2011