“A perfectly relaxing, romantic winter holiday!”

ClubHotel Riu Tikida Palmeraie
Ranked #102 of 494 Hotels in Marrakech
England
“A perfectly relaxing, romantic winter holiday!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2012

A last minute break for my birthday in February....the weather was amazing every day, between 23 and 26ish...perfect for sunbathing! :) The hotel and holiday on the whole was fab! It's a fair distance out of Marakech, when the rep says "it's not walking distance", she means it's not walking distance...unless you enjoy 2+ hour walks I guess that is!! :) The shuttle is frequent enough though, and a taxi isn't too pricey. There's a big wholesale type supermarket 10 minutes walk away which is pretty handy. I'm a vegetarian and the food was amazing, always plenty of choice.....and the banana fritters for desert...heaven! Food is available pretty much all day....just about an hour before diner they close the afternoon buffet, but if you fill up on pancakes you can easily last through! The only downsides really were that the pool was off limits due to the time of year.....unless you have the heart of a lion....as boy was it cold! But there is an indoor pool if you really fancy a dip. And then the entertainment!? The staff are all so lovely, and for volleyball etc in the afternoon fab...but as evening enetertainment goes....not good! We are quite a young and lively couple and did struggle as the hotel was complettely dead come 11pm! We did take a trip into Marakech and managed to find a nightclub for my birthday, but let's just say....you can tell nightlife isn't Marakech's strong point being a secular country I did expect this to be fair, a good enough evening....but not for those out to party hard. I had to see a doctor during my visit to have a splinter removed from my leg, again the staff were amazing, they drove me to my room in a buggy, arranged the doctor and then collected my perscription for me and delivered it to my room :) I was very concerned about the etiquette in terms of clothing as a female when out in public, initially I spent alot of time covered up, but it's really not THAT strict, everywhere except in the Medina people seem reasonably accepting, although it would be complettely disrepectful to strut around in teeny tiny outfits, a t-shirt etc is passable especially in the new town. In the Medina people can be quite pushy and it is pretty chaotic, but you just have to be firm.....do not let the locals push you into a situation that you feel uncomforatble in and just say NO!! All in all in was a fabulous winter break, great value for money and totally romantic!!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank cei84

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,270)
  • Turkish first
Hampshire, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2012

Overall this is a great hotel, its very clean, tidy, well landscaped, the staff are excellent, the food is good etc etc but most people want to know the downsides, so here they are, I warn you, they are MINOR!!!

1, No Tea/coffee making facilities in the rooms, You get 2 large bottles of water a day which is good, and there is a fridge in the rooms, but its empty.

2. Some rooms are a bit of walk, we got there late at night and it felt like we'd crossed an international date line getting to the room.

3. They have 2 "speciality" restaurants, Morrocan and Italian, but they are buffet style like the main one, the food was always excellent, I can't complain about it at all, but you'd think that a speciality restaurant that you have to book in advance would be waiter service.

4. The outside pool is nothing short of freezing! everyone that got in it had to take deep breaths, my missus jumped in and nearly had a asthma attack, its that cold, and when it's 41 degrees out the pool you notice it more. Like any pool however once you have the guts the put your shoulders under and swim you get used to it, I was informed the indoors pool was better.

5. No tourist information, no really, nothing! no leaflets, no maps of the medina, nothing, that resulted in us getting lost in the souks, and having to pay some kid £5 to get us out. So if you want to go to the souks, go on a guided tour.

OK the rest

We had to move room because of a few minor issues with the first one but it was sorted out very quickly, they moved all our luggage for us and moved us to a great room over looking the pool.

The staff are excellent, always willing to help and very good around the children that were there, They put in activities around the pool all day whether it was cooking, belly dancing, water polo, darts, beach volleyball on a purpose built court, or simple aerobitcs, they were always doing something, and would happily stop and have a chat.

Food was very good, i've not got the strongest stomachs but was perfectly OK there. There was a good choice of food from salads to local dishes to the normal pizza's, chips etc depending on your preference, deserts were great! i'm a desert fan! and the choice was great!

Those of you interested in TV, well come on everyone watches a bit, there's a good choice from most European countries, English speaking channels were BBC News, Sky News, CNN, ITV 1, a sports channel (something like MSNBC Sports 3) and there was a local channel which played TV in English and subtitled in Arabic. mostly movies. so not bad for the space where you've come away for the pool, but too early to goto dinner!

Overall a nice hotel, great staff, good food, good entertainment. Would a recommend it, yeah if you wanted to go somewhere like that. would I go back, probably not.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank MikeBuck
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2012

Where do you I start. I did a lot of research on this hotel prior to going as I like hotels that are a good standard and with it being all inclusive, I wanted the food to give me a decent choice and I am a picky eater. I need not of worried at it surpassed my expectations.

Staff - I did not see one grumpy face the whole holiday, whether it was reception, waiting staff or the entertainment crew, to a person they made the holiday with the relentless attention to the guests and were genuinely lovely, hard-working staff.

Food - I thought the variety and quality of food available was exceptional. Pancake chef for breakfast, outdoor barbecue as part of lunch service and dinner always had fresh pasta options. Not once did I eat anything that was poor qwuality and the range of choice was as good as any hotel I have been at.

Rooms - They were spacious, well fitted out and exceptionally clean. There are no coffee/tea making facilities so I just took my own kettle which is not an issue really. Maids were fantastic and were there daily as part of the service.

Communal outside areas were fantastic with lots of colourful plants, herb gardens and tasteful decoration. Pool was large and there were lots of beds most of the time althoguh the best were reserved early.

Bar & general areas were again of high quality and there were lots of small seating areas for small groups as well as the bar/theatre areas. There is smoking allowed (I am a non-smoker) but it did not seem as bad as Cuba I went to last year. I don't like it but it is not illegal in Morocco so it is allowed as it was in UK a few years ago. If you dont like smoking that much don't go

Drinks both soft and alcoholic were of a good quality and all of the soft drinks were recognised brands. The cocktails were too drinkable to my peril some nights and the staff serving them were brilliant.

We did the Quad bikes which were fantastic as they gave you a 2 and a half hour quad bike ride but also allowed you to see some of the real Morocco which I absolutely loved. We also did the Marrakech Experience on recommendation and unfortunately the guide was poor and were left in one of his friends chemist shope for over 90 minutes while we got a hard sell on his wares, obviously this is not the hotels fault and is for information only.

A lot of the guests were really friendly and we enjoyed their company over the week and I am glad to say there were no members of the "Brits Abroad Brigade" in attendance. There were a few French kids running about unattended and a little unruly but this is a parenting/cutural issue and is not a hotel problem and really did not detract from the holiday.

In terms of a destination I was really impressed with Marrakech and I loved the warmth of the Moroccan people and this was even evident in the Souk's that have a different type of reputation.

In summary I would recommend this hotel to anyone, it is not too big, it is ran like a swiss watch, it is exceptionally clean and overall unbeatable value for money. You will only be disappointed if you are used to the Four Seasons, but if you want a top quality package break with brilliant service and at a good cost then this could be the one for you.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
6 Thank Ge0rdie_Mark
Wirral
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2012

My husband and I stayed here for two weeks in April. We really enjoyed the hotel and it was in a good position to visit Marrakech on the free courtesy bus.
The rooms are large and spacious with lots of cupboard space. We had a groundfloor room overlooking the pool which was great. Beware huge toads like to come in through the patio doors and like to climb into your hand luggage.
The allinclusive food and drink package was excellent with plenty of variety and you could also book and visit the Italian restaurant and Morrocan restaurant anytime you wanted. The restaurant staff where always happy and worked very hard. The lunchtime restaurant sometimes got a bit hectic but the weather wasn't always warm enough to sit outside so most people came indoors to eat.
The swimming pool is huge but cold and the animation team worked really hard and so much fun. The pool staff kept the area very clean and tidy and always happy and smiling. During our holiday there was only one poolbar open so sometimes could get busy but hopefully during busier periods the two would be open. Although it is good to visit Marrakech the hotel is in a remote location.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Marrakech.

Room Tip: upstairs pool rooms had lovely views of the high Atlas mountains
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank p0ppy1wirral
Derbyshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2012

Just arrived home from a fantastic holiday in Marrakech and a fabulous hotel. From first walking into the hotel and until we left, the staff couldn't do enough to make your stay memorable.
The bedrooms are huge and well appointed, although the beds are a little on the hard side but i have slept on worse. The views from our room in block 3 first floor were great, looking over part of the amazing gardens and the view of the High Atlas Mountains in the distance with snow still on the peaks. Being our first time on an all inclusive holiday, all our reservations on food hygiene were allayed on entering the restaurant, the hot food is cooked in open kitchens and all other is not put out until its time to open. The food should satisfy anybody, infact your'e spoilt for choice, hence the several pounds put on in weight.
This was a special holiday to celebrate our Silver Wedding, on arrival a bottle of Champagne was sent to our room, and on the day itself i had booked a meal in the Italian restaurant and on arrival there was another bottle on ice and the table decorated with rose petals, they certainly made it a special evening. Overall we had a wonderful holiday and would recommend this to anybody, but if you are the type that wants total peace, expects top class restaurant food with personal service in plush settings and 5 star hotel type bedrooms and no children in sight as some reviewers expect, then this is not for you, but what do you expect from a hotel that caters for families, and people of all ages, you get what you pay for but you can't please everybody. For sporty types there are tennis, basketball, and beach volleyball courts, a gym and an indoor swimming pool plus the large outdoor one and a golf course nearby.

Room Tip: Blocks 2 or 3 first floor, these face onto gardens along with block 1 and are quieter away from the...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
10 Thank DerbyshireWanderlust
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2012

My partner and I stayed here for 1 week during July 2011. The hotel grounds were clean and tidy and the staff were always working throughout the day tending to the gardens and cleaning the hotel. When we arrived we were met by a welcome drink and led to the dining room for dinner. Many people were arriving at the same time and so although check in was relatively quick staff were rushed, this meant that we had to find our own way to our room. This was quite a walk from the main building and difficult to find on our first evening there. The room was spacious, clean and tidy. The weather was super hot and the cool pool was a welcome retreat from the heat. It was sometimes hard to get a sun lounger as many people would get up super early to secure themselves one, but the pool staff were very helpful in getting us some when we asked them. My only grumble was due to the sugary drinks, Coca Cola, Fanta, Sprite etc which you could help yourself to there was a problem with wasps. The staff were always trying to resolve this but they seemed to be fighting a losing battle when some guest would idly leave their empty glasses at random places around the pool rather than taking them back to the bar. This often caused the wasp problem to spread around the pool as well. The food was good and there was a wide choice, we tried both the Italian and Moroccan restaurant in the hotel both were good. The evening entertain wasn't great within the hotel itself. We went into the Old Town during the day and visited the Souks. I really enjoyed this, seeing really is believing. In the Souks we saw a man stood outside a tailors in his underwear being fitted for a suit. The Moroccans were friendly and laughed of the shock on my face when I noticed the chap in his underwear. We also went to the Old Town at night and this was even more hectic and chaotic. The main square is heaving with people both locals and tourists. We were approached by a Moroccan gentleman who wanted to give us a tour of the old town which we kindly declined, he was persistent but in the end he did leave us. I also advised us that not everyone in the square is trustworthy and to hold on to our valuables. Due to the hustle and bustle we decided to get a drink in a bar with a balcony so that we could sit and watch the chaos below us. We also found a very trendy bar called Sky Bar in the New Town. All the taxi drivers seemed to know it. It's on top of a nice hotel and we were told that in Morocco building can only be 6 storeys high. Sky Bar was actually 7 storeys high and boosted great views of the city with the Atlas Mountains behind. We enjoyed our stay in Marrakech and would visit again, although we may look at finding a hotel at little closer to the city itself.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank EmilyandDan09
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2012

Myself, my fiancee and another couple have just got back from what we can only describe as the "perfect holiday"
We stayed at the Tikida Palmeraie for 13 nights and wish we could have stayed for more. From the moment we arrived at the hotel we couldn't have felt more welcome. The hotel staff are extremely friendly, helpful and would have bent over backwards to help us.
The grounds itself are spotless, the gardens are constantly being maintained and in the evening security constantly walking around the grounds.
The food was fantastic, a really wide choice and accommodated everyone from the adventurous to the fussy. We very frequently ate at the Italian and the Moroccan restaurants, as you can eat there as many times as you wish through-out your stay. Again, the food at these restaurants was incredible and had the service to match.

The entertainment team are some of the nicest people we have ever met and would go as far as saying that they made our holiday what it was. All of them are so friendly and so sincere. They do there best to make sure everyone feels involved and if you wish to be left alone they respect it and are not at all pushy.
The evening shows were brilliant and a lot of hard work is put into them (considering how little time they must actually have to rehearse, since being pool side and entertaining through the day)

Other things to note - The hotel has a few local residents, this being cats. They are in no means a hassle, all very well looked after, clean and eat/keep away any rodents or bugs, so there doing everyone a favour :)
We also took the 4x4 day trip to the atlas mountains, one of the most amazing day out i have ever had. i would 100% recommend this to anyone.
Yes there are no tea and coffee facilities or bathrobes in the room but we were happy to have a a drink poolside. After all why would you want to spend any time in your room other then to sleep, you're on holiday!!
There did seem to be a lot of kids around at the time we went, but later learning we did visit in the French school holidays. However i don't think that there behaviour can be a negative towards to the hotel or its staff. This is 100% down to the parents and again and nothing but respect to the entertainment team for constantly looking after them and trying to keep them in line.

I could go on raving about this hotel for a long time but seems a quick review is slowly turning into an essay. All in all, we had the best holiday. i would recommend this hotel to anyone. reading some of the negative reviews, i wouldn't let you them put you off. Maybe we're were a little more chilled out then others, but can honestly say i have never been more relaxed or had some much fun :)

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple