“Fantastic hotel”

ClubHotel Riu Tikida Palmeraie
Ranked #108 of 499 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed 4 August 2013

we stayed here jan 2013 for 1 week - lovely rooms, staff helpful, food varied and consistently good. Only left the hotel once to go into Marrakech which was a fantastic experience ! We were just too lazy - go and try ! Only complaints would be outdoor pool so cold no one used it and there is a lot of smokers in the bar area

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank debbie f
Write a ReviewReviews (5,874)

Reviewed 4 August 2013 via mobile

Excellent hotel excellent staff excellent EVERYTHING! WOULD GO AGAIN!
From start to finish this holiday was amazing. We checked in, love staff. Stayed on the ground floor but we're greeted by cockroaches so we changed the room to the top level which was much better . good food. Chef would make us something different as we were vegetarian. The souks was dirty and smelly. Good genuine fakes there. Hotel pool and massage was great too. Would definitely go again! Would recommend to everyone to go. Hotel was great. Very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 3 August 2013

After getting cold feet a few days before our holiday re: weather forecasts and whether it was going to be a good hotel environment for our young daughters (8 and 5), I needn’t have bothered worrying.

We arrived at around 10:30pm and were ushered into the dining room - we weren’t allowed to get our cases and check in but I’m sure this was just the hotel being courteous.

After a late tea, we checked in and went to our room. The porter brought our cases to the room shortly after.

Following this, we had pretty much a faultless holiday.

Complex – It is beautifully maintained with gardeners, maids and other service personnel ensuring it was cleaned daily. The whole complex was of real quality.

Rooms – we had a room with 2 beds that had been pushed together and the sofa was pulled out for our 2 daughters. It was cleaned daily with mineral water replenished. Ours had a balcony which overlooked the tennis courts with a view of the Atlas mountains on a clear day. Very happy with our room.

Food – The food was of a good quality. We were worried as our youngest is a very fussy eater but she tried so many new foods and now likes a wider range as a result. The range of Moroccan deserts were very tasty. The waiters/waitresses were extremely polite and ensured the dining areas were clean for the duration.

Pool area – I have never seen a pool so big. It was kept clean each day. We arrived on 22nd July. At 7:15 on our first morning, we left our towels on sunbeds as we made our way to breakfast (as we always do each year at the hotels). We had many to choose from. However, as more guests arrived throughout the week I was having to get up earlier and earlier to get sunbeds that were alongside the pool. On our last day, I got up and was at the poolside for 6:45 so that I could get, what I thought would be, the pick of the sunbeds. I was greeted by a choice of none alongside the pool and and a choice of 3 on the second row. I overheard people admitting they got up at 6 to get sunbeds then they went back to their room to bed. Now the holiday season is well and truly set in, I reckon you will have to get up at about 6:15 to get a decent choice. There ARE sunbeds for EVERYBODY but maybe not in the place you want them. TBH, after our last 5 holidays abroad, I’m used to getting up fairly early to get sunbeds (I used to think people were real saddos getting up to reserve beds but if you can’t beat them you have to join em). Not an easy thing for hotels to police. That is my only gripe about the hotel (if you could call it a gripe). I don’t allow things to get in the way of me enjoying my holiday that I look forward to all year – the sunbed scenario is something I have come across at every hotel I have been too so don’t see the point in moaning about it.

Staff – They were extremely polite. The reps were very friendly and were very good with offering advice about excursions.

Excursions – The hotel do a FREE return shuttle bus to the Medina throughout each day (approx 20 minutes journey time). We also did the Caleche by night and also went to the Aqua Fun water park.

The make up of the hotel was about 75-80% British with the rest being of French, German or Spanish origin. Judging by other reviews, I expected it to be made up mostly of honeymooners and much older families. There were, however, many younger families too. I have been to FirstChoice Holiday Villages for the past 3 years with children being left to run around by parents, belting footballs around the place and being as loud as possible. This is a quality hotel so the behaviour of children was generally much better and calmer. The Animation team activities were more geared towards adults but the Animation team were good with the children too.

If you want a holiday where you are happy to spend all day by the pool at a quality hotel (there aren’t really any touristy type shops within the locality) but you could still go on cultural excursions then this hotel is ideal.

4  Thank viking39
Reviewed 2 August 2013

Just stayed for a week at this hotel & overall was very impressed and felt we had great value or money. The food is excellent with a wide variety of choice & everywhere is spotlessly clean. The staff are very friendly with the exception of a few grumpy bar men but to be honest in that heat I don't blame them! The only major gripe is with the sun beds by the pool, unless you are down there with your towels at 6am you might as well forget getting a decent spot. Brits were the worst culprits! The hotel should really do something about this as people were bagging spots & then going off for the day - very selfish! Went with 3 x teenage daughters who loved it & were kept entertained day & night by the hotel team.

Reviewed 2 August 2013

The first thing I would like to add to other reviews about this hotel is that the attention to detail and real care for the guest experience is outstanding. Whether it was the chef doing a tagine cookery demonstration or one of the animation team showing our kids and their friends card tricks at the bar, every one involved really cares about whether you have a good time or not. That is really very clear and although there were things I would change slightly, I want to emphasis that the service (from reception to the restaurant) is first class. Thank you. The hotel is beautiful with exquisite grounds and lovely interiors. There are a few things that would have enhanced our holiday experience, though. Firstly, we travelled with two children and as a result had to split the kids and ourselves between two rooms. I would have liked a door between the rooms or an alternative arrangement. The other thing is, in regards to the entertainment, I would have liked a more proactive approach to involving the kids (8 and 13) during the day, earlier in the week, and some indoor options for entertainment during the day both for myself and them, as at times it was very hot. But overall, well done Riu Tikida Palmerie, you could teach quite a few hotels a thing or two about putting guests first.

Room Tip: As I mentioned in the review, we travelled as a family of four with kids who are just a bit young to...
Reviewed 1 August 2013

Overall a fantastic holiday!

Check-in: Upon arrival we were greeted with drinks and escorted to the dining hall, which was kept open specially even with a delayed flight. Check-in was quick and easy and our cases were delivered to our room. We had a slight issue with our room door not locking, but someone was sent out to fix it ASAP.

Pool: The pool and gardens are beautiful and a little haven in such a bustling city. There is an issue with reserving sun-beds and despite our annoyance we too had to play the game in order to get beds with some sort of shade. However, even getting up at 6.30 one morning was proved ineffective as nearly all the beds were gone! People must literally be up at the crack of dawn. That said our usual time of 7.30 - 8am usually meant we could find something if we were prepared to drag beds around a little. The cabanas are always taken. It was very hot, at times too hot, so shade was always welcome and the pool refreshing.

Rooms: Rooms are perfectly lovely and spacious, just a little tired in places if you look carefully. The maid service was great and the rooms have everything you could need.

Food: There is a large selection of food available to suit everyone's tastes; however, it could get a little repetitive it there more than one week. The Italian was nice, but nothing spectacular. The bars are great and the self-service by the pool is very handy.

Entertainment: We saw a couple of the shows me they were good to say it is just hotel staff, but not to our cup of tea. We did find it a little quiet and boring on an evening but again that may just be us.

Overall this hotel is great and well worth the money paid and that was a bargin price to start with. The staff all work incredibly hard and are always so helpful and friendly. The spa is definitely worth a visit and was very relaxing. The shuttle bus into Marrakech is great and well worth a visit, just listen to the tips from the reps!

Other points to note: cash machine in hotel is free, as is currency exchange so no need to stop at the airport. Wifi is intermittent but works best in the morning and afternoon, everyone tries to use it in the evening. (I'm on it now and having no problems.)

Finally, huge thank you to all the staff! We would return again!

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank KerriGarner
Reviewed 1 August 2013

We had an amazing hotel in Marrakech. The hotel outweighed our expectations for an all inclusive resort. It had all the advantages of a coastal resort without the sea.

Weather
It was fantastic weather and blue skies every day. We were here from 27th June. it sure I would want it be there in August.

Room
think it was 4369. We had a garden view which was fine but we never sat out. Room was large and in Moroccan style with a sofa which could have been made into a bed.
We had a fridge where we could put the 1.5 litre bottles x 2 that we were provided with each day.

Sunbeds

Yes it is true people got up early to reserve them . There were plenty but the problem is people want shade. Never saved a bed before but when you go down at 7am to see how many have gone you realise you have to join them , we used to set the alarm grab a bed and go back to bed. Don't agree but there is no alternative. There are some great sun beds with canopies.

Pool

Fantastic pool . Complaints it is too cold are unjustified due to the heat.

All 3 meals were excellent. There was a good variety at all meals and there different choices within each menu each day. Went to the Moroccan restaurant twice. Food good even though self service.

Entertainment

Did not participate in day time activities. A huge team though.

We enjoyed sitting outside listening to the live music.

Found the activities team entertainment indoors very 3rd rate. Tried on a couple of evenings but not to our taste.

Courtesy bus

Very good. It broke down once when we were traveling back but was replaced within 10 minutes.

Trips

We booked trips with Thomson.

waterfall trip we did not enjoy. Told it was 500 steps up and back. Guide decided to take a different route down which was not great. In view of that we had to cross over the worst bridge ever to get to the other side at the bottom. It was ok if you took the boat trip but we didn't . Advised rep and she was shocked. Had to get 2 locals to help me. Lunch very mediocre on trip.

Trip to the villages was an afternoon trip but last from 2 until 8 . Great trip saw the real morocco. Beautiful scenery and the opportunity to visit a Berber house. Most interesting and eyeopening.

Marrakech. At night

This was good we had about an hour on a caleche. 4 in a carriage. Drink over looking the main square and then some free time. Only gave us 40 minutes high was not enough . However a great and exciting experience.

Overall a brilliant holiday which we could thoroughly recommend.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple