“Fantastic Moroccan Family Holiday” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of ClubHotel Riu Tikida Palmeraie

ClubHotel Riu Tikida Palmeraie
Ranked #100 of 505 Hotels in Marrakech
London, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Moroccan Family Holiday”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2013

The first thing to say is that this is an "all inclusive" resort. That means you'll be given a wrist band to wear for the duration, the meals are buffet style, drinks will be served "en-mass" (most if the time) and the wine isn't going to be Chateau Rothschild 1986.

That being said, this is an excellent, quality, very safe, value for money, family holiday that I highly recommend.

The resort is situated 20-30 minutes from Marrakech International Airport. If you've arrived via the Thompson/First Choice package then your transfer is per-arranged. If, like us, you're do-it-yourself, then you'll need to get a taxi which, despite official signs stating the price as 125 Dirham, it could be up to 200drm (depending on how confused your taxi driver can make you). Don't worry though, this price fluctuation (up or down) is an everyday event in Marrakech, with haggling for price an essential part of most transactions. Get into it....you'll enjoy it as do the Moroccans themselves!

The rooms are basic but comfortable. The air-conditioning works very well and is quiet enough to sleep with on. Large bottles of mineral water are replenished every day as the water in the taps isn't drinkable. There is a small television with channels in various languages including a few favourites that we'd all recognise. Each room has its own small porch leading onto a private grass area.

All restaurants and the auditorium are fully non smoking however the main reception building and bar allow smoking inside. This can be annoying for non-smokers but in a country where smoking is usually allowed everywhere, it's a small inconvenience as you don't have to spend much time there if you choose not to.

Wifi is available but notoriously unreliable and only available in the main building. Its particularly poor in the evenings when every man, woman and child is attempting to access the Internet. It's very frustrating and something they need to resolve.

The pool is huge! An adult can stand up everywhere into pool with the depth going from 0.8m to 1.5m as you move around. One whole side has a long, gentle slope into the pool. Unfortunately the European habit of placing towels on sun loungers at ridiculously early hours of the morning is thriving at the Riu Tikida. If there's more than two of you (we are a family if 4 with small children) you'll just have to get used to this and get involved if you want to ensure a place with shade. The upside of this is that the clientele is predominantly northern English and French so the moreTeutonic tendency to remove belongs from "saved spaces" doesn't happen. Towels are available from reception throughout the day. This can be inconvenient if your room is far across the property and an exchange "at pool side" would be far more sensible. The grounds are extremely well maintained with gardeners constantly at work keeping the grass lush and the flowers blooming.

The staff are wonderful; extremely friendly and always on hand should you need anything. A small tip of 20drm greases the wheels and keeps everyone smiling. Entertainment occurs constantly throughout the day either by the pool, in the pool, in the Mini, Maxi or Teeny Clubs and into the night with kids disco, kids movies and a family show every night.

As mentioned and despite an earlier posting re smoking in the restaurants, these are all now completely non-smoking. And the food is far better than I expected. You can be as healthy or as decadent as you would like at Riu Tikida with a buffet restaurant available for all every night in the main dining room or you can book 24 hours early for a sitting at the Italian (not fantastic) or traditional Moroccan (very good) specialty restaurants. I've eaten in some very exclusive restaurants all over the world and I'm happy to say I enjoyed all of my meals at Tikida.

The gym is very well stocked with relatively new machinery and is air conditioned. The Spa is very nice with excellent, well priced packages for everything from a back massage to a 2 hour indulgence!

A coach transfer to and from the Medina is available at various times throughout the day although I would highly recommend booking in advance as places fill up quickly. Also worth booking in advance (8am the morning before you leave) is a late check out. Most UK flights leave late afternoon and with an 11am checkout you could find yourself storing your luggage and showering in the Spa. At 500drm for a very late checkout its well worth the investment.

With a 5 year old and a 9 year old to feed, water and keep entertained I rate this property very highly as an excellent family get away.

Room Tip: I believe there are 5 main accommodation blocks with ground floor and first floor rooms, radiating f...
2 Thank samndan2000

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,246)
  • Turkish first
Preston, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2013

The hotel was only a short ride from the airport, and the attentive staff were waiting for us with food and drinks at 2am as our flight had been delayed. The reception staff dealt with us very efficiently so we were in our room in no time. The central lobby is spacious and full of seating, and the rooms are airy and comfortable with the addition of a sofa.
Food was lovely, especially the Moroccan restaurant, and there was plenty of choice in the main buffet.
We used the complimentary shuttle bus in to the centre of Marrakech several times. This is an excellent service, a convenient way to see Jma el Fnaa and the Souks, and we only had to book the day before.
The pool is very large and is the perfect temperature to hang around in for a couple of hours, as it was incredibly hot outside! I also had a Hammam and clay wrap treatment in the spa. The staff were lovely and it was incredibly relaxing and refreshing.

The only couple of issues we had were the sun loungers and smoking. Sun loungers were reserved VERY early- if you aren't out well before breakfast all the decent spots in the shade are gone, and you will struggle to get one at all after 9! We squashed in to small spaces that had a bit of shade with random spare chairs.
The smoking was an issue for us as my boyfriend is asthmatic, and it seemed like there were smokers everywhere. The lobby bar is a smoking area so we had to be careful about where we sat.

Overall this was an excellent value holiday in a very comfortable, convenient hotel and I would definitely recommend the location for a good combination of relaxation and exploration.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank LPomford
Lincoln, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2013

We stayed here for 2 weeks returning home on the 20th Aug. we travelled with our two daughters 13 & 15. We booked interconnecting rooms however they do not interconnect but 2 rooms joined by one small porch way which can be shut off with key card access only, however we felt very safe and had no need to close the door to porch. Rooms are very spacious lovely powerful showers and the maids do a great job. Only downside is air conditions could of been a bit better although from speaking to other guests I think some works better than others, but it didn't drop below 30 degrees at night so bound to be on the warm side.

Food was very nice and lots of choice especially if you like fish, I don't each fish only chicken but I could always find something to eat, hubby and kids are more adventurous and tried lots of different things and thoroughly enjoyed it. The breakfast buffet was just lovely and lots of choice, stay away from the beans they are nothing like Heinz.. Yuk!! I had Salads for lunch most days with different pastas and rice, couldn't fault the food what so ever. Drinks although branded did taste a little watery but I just took them back and then got the drinks from the bottle rather than the machine, white wine and rose was quite nice. Although could of done with being kept cooler but that would be extremely difficult as the temperatures most days was low 50's.

Pool was lovely and if you are a creature of habit and want the same sun beds everyday then yes you have to get up between 5-6, but if you come down 8-9 there is always sun beds available. It was really hot and a good idea to try and get some shade, I spent lots of my time sat in the pool with my book. Aqua aerobics with MJ is fun, they do come and ask if you want to join in but never hassle you and always say have a nice day, MJ has the most perculliar laugh, you'll know who mean...

We did 2 trips, went to the souks and medina in the afternoon went with a guide and he was very knowledgeable and I would defiantly recommend going with Thomas trip as they know lots about Marakech. We also did the Atala mountains 4x4 after a little hiccup and not being on the list we went the nxt day wasn't a problem Stacey the rep sorted it out immediately. The trip to the Atals mountains was amazing and if I went to morocco again I would defiantly do this trip again. Fabulous scenery and the girls enjoyed seeing how the Burber families live in the mountains, worlds apart from all the devices our children have.

I would strongly recommend this hotel to anyone, excellent value for money and the staff really do try there best to make your stay as pleasant and relaxing as possible.

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank philjball61
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2013

Thank you in advance for reading this I hope it helps, my review is done on the experience of our party of 6 which was (2x adults, 2x teenagers & 2 Kids) and travelled from London Gatwick on the 12th August for 7 days at the Tikida.
To start with Morocco is hot, but August is amazingly HOT, average temps for our week were 45-51degs C and if you want to understand how that feels stand in front of your hairdryer whilst on and that will give you an idea of what the breeze feels like. Before I mention the hotel just a quick bit about Marrakech, if you want to go to the Souks (20mins from hotel) with kids like we did, please make sure you think about it long and hard, my wife was not comfortable from the second we stepped off the bus and couldn't wait to get back on and so our 2 hours in the souks was not enjoyable, it is unbelievably busy, smelly & dirty, the market square was just a sea of people and I would say only 2% of the mass was tourists. The souks are very tight with traders/hagglers enticing you in every second and makes you feel a bit harassed. We would not do it again with the kids in tow, and may consider it again on our own MAYBE ! The resort lays on a free coach service to the souks everyday with return pick ups which is great, ask at reception when you arrive for the timetable and map which is free. I did barter for the stuff we got, but to be honest I was not sure if was the best deal as they started high knowing you were looking to go for half of the price.

OK now the resort - Something you will not see written on any of the brochures is that this is a french hotel resort that caters for british holiday makers, why do I say that well the music & entertainment is very much catered for the French tourist, although all the staff speak french, english & arabic fluently, it just has the feel of the european flavour. Now for the Positive & Negatives of our holiday.
Positives - Friendliness and cleanliness is brilliant, the staff cannot do enough for you (especially if you give them a tip and the beginning of the holiday**Top Tip**). Pool is big with lots of different depths and is great for all ages. The water is cool (wife would say cold), but I thought it was refreshing and was surprising considering the temperature outside. Rooms were spacious and cleaned every day with some nice touches (e.g. swans made out of towels on your bed with rose petals) water was also supplied to the room every day. Lots of daytime activities for all ages and I certainly enjoyed the morning volleyball, the afternoon water polo and the odd ping pong game. The kids creche was also very good, but only open certain times during the day. Reception staff very helpful and always a good source on local info. The restaurants are spacious and the waiters are brilliant. The day/evening entertainment staff are also excellent always friendly and always smiling which you cannot fault. Safe & secure resort with security guards on patrol in the day/evening (not blatant).

Negatives - Connecting rooms aren't connected via a door, there version is a shared alcove door which does not lock and so you have to go through the front doors to get into each room, bit of pain. The Resort is big with the pool being the centre point to the resort and that the rooms which are pushed out away from the pool in 2 storey blocks, we were in a 4-5min walk from the pool depending on people traffic & what you were carrying, Almost a 5-8min walk to the reception which I have no problem walking, however when you have daughter on crutches due to a broken kneecap it is a bit of choir (however said the hotel did give us a wheel chair which came in very handy). But when you have to walk in 50deg C it makes for a sweaty finish especially when you get to the restaurant. Evening entertainment is limited especially for the kids as it is all in french and ends at 8.30pm. Food was OK and in plenty in quantity it was aimed at the european taste buds and so kids choice was near enough pizza & chips, the presentation was excellent and always replenished and there were no flies that I saw. The Gift Shop, well what one word can I use to describe it, oh I know "RIPOFF"! If you need anything like suncream,gifts or crisps then be prepared to pay extortionate prices. Roughly they were charging £22'ish for small bottle of Niviea suncream and around £3'ish for a packet of medium sized crisps, the fact they were always counting money when I went in the shop infuriated me more as it was blatant that they had you over a barrel. Top tip the airport sells lots of the same stuff (gift wise) so you can get presents there at half the price on your way home. On day 5 we ended up paying for a taxi to take us to a big supermarket (supermarche grande) to get some essentials (be prepared to see the real Marrakech which is dingy, dirty, smelly and sadly very deprived), however when you get there the price of things are a 1/4 of the gift shop price if not more, we asked our taxi driver to wait for us and paid 200DAH for the whole trip, which is about £16, but worth it believe me.
WiFi, although it is free in the reception/lobby area (only) you will struggle to get a signal after7pm as everyone is on it. Cocktails are not very imaginative and are weak which can be a good thing, the beer is not draft and is poured from small cans and along with the shorts/cocktails the drinks are served in small glasses and it always feels you are at the bar waiting to be served. (top tip be brash at the bar and don't assume you will be served because you were the next in turn. The europeans just shout there orders out and get served)The bars shut at 12am, not that it bothered us as we were all shattered by 10.30pm everyday, although my teenage daughter could never get a soft drink or snack after 12am, because like all typical teenagers they were to cool to hang around mum & dad and liked to hang around in groups until the wee hours of the morning, this was disappointing for me as it meant you had to make sure they were stocked up with soft drinks before hitting the sack, it basically closes until morning (which is not what I would class as all-inclusive) call me picky!! Like most european holiday resorts you have to get up early to get a good spot by the pool. If like us you are in medium sized party you definitely need to get up around 6am and find a spot, if you are 2-4 persons then you will near enough find something although it wont be pool edge. I recommend the cabana's as they offer the most shade, however make sure you get the pool guys attention early in the morning as they only have a certain number of canvases, not enough to go around.

Take plenty of suncream we ran out on day 5 hence the trip to the supermarket, and because of the heat you are slapping it on more than you would normally. Water is always available and in big bottles too, the soft drinks are all branded (unlike the alcohol) with plenty of ice always available. We all enjoyed are stay and was great fun however 7 days was enough for us, and I would not say no to going back there, but I would probably pay a little more and go back to the Caribbean for an all-inclusive experience.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Weldons_Take
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2013

We left on 15th August after a 10 day honeymoon at this resort. Marrakech was whim when we booked a year ago and we didn't really know anyone who had been but it was incredible.

TOP TIP - put the water from your room int he fridge becasue a) nif the cleaners cannot see it then it gets restocked and b) you need to have a chilled bottle with you when you go outside as it's so hot and the water goes a long way to preventing dehydration and sunstroke

Weather - up over 40 degrees every day but the heat better to handle than UK as much less humid. Wear high factor suncream and reapply after swimming as we made this mistake and sffered a little burning and sunstroke

Pool - the outdoor poor is enormous and so refreshing once you take the plunge and the ledge all around the edge is a lovely quirk where you can sit and read yet still be cool. The indoor poor isn't quite as cool and is very peaceful (until groups of teenagers decide it's a good escape from their parents). Both pool and facilites are very clean and a their deepest both are only shoulder height at 1.4m so deep enough for swimming but shallow enough for just messing around.

Room - the room was very clean, nice and cool and far enough back that any noise from music or the pool was blocked out.

Staff - the staff are all incredibly helpful and very friendly and I could get used to being shown to a table every time I go down to eat!!

Food - if like me you're not so keen on trying new foods then although repetitive there's still plenty to eat and you will not go hungry. There's the variations of pizza, pasta and bolognese as well chips and other potatoes. A variety of veg also. I tended to stick the beef which was always quite nice. Aside from this is the salad bar and different fish as well as the tagines of morrocan food. Breakfast is pretty good - the warm doughnuts are delicious and though the sausages look a little strange they are very nice.My tip if getting butter or magerine for toast or bread is to put the little dish of it into a shallow bowl of hot water so that you can spread it.

Drinks - neither of us are big drinkers so cannot comment on the alcohol, though no-one else seemed to have any complaints!! The soft drinks are branded too.

Enterntainment - the indoor entertainment was more for the children so we stuck the outdoors in the evening where the female singer is very good and they sing well-known songs. The daytime animation are a lot of fun - aqua aerobics is exhausting!!

General - the hotel & the grounds are beautiful and so weel-maintained. It all makes for some incredible photos and a lovely atmosphere.

Excursions - we only went into the town once towards the end of our honeymoon and it is the only part of the entire holiday that I was not overjoyed with. The markets are smelly and dirty and it was not a pleasant experience, not least because if you even sneak a glance at something then you're being cajoled into a shop where you can't really leave until you've bought something. You must be firm with them. Also, go in for a price at least half of what they're telling you.

We had an amazing time and though I wouldn't go elsewhere or outside a resort again, I'd definitely return here. Our honeymoon was incredible and we can only thank the hotel and the staff for helping to make it so.

Room Tip: Request a room further away from the pool & hotel to avoid noise from the entertainment. Also, t...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank CaseyMuller
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2013

We returned from our hols at the Tikida on July 25th, having had a wonderful weeks holiday.We took the option of paying extra for a taxi with Thomson, the driver duly met us and transported us to the hotel. An excellent welcome with cases taken by the porter to our room. We were then shown to the reception where check in was smooth and courteous, All new guests were shown into dinner where we found a huge choice of appetising food!.Our room was on the ground floor, huge and clean but rather dark. All was acceptable apart from the very thin worn sheets, having said that the bed was comfy.Our daughter had the room next door both overlooking the tennis courts, nice and peaceful.The hotel itself cannot be faulted, service, food and cleanliness, all very good. The evening duo singing were tedious and somewhat dated but did not spoil our holiday in anyway. The indoor bar is beautiful and lovely to relax and be cool!.
The pool is lovely and gently shelves like the sea. Yes.... my kind lovely husband got up to reserve beds for us but so did everyone else!! Both pool bars served a good choice of drinks, the wine was good. Our 19 yr old enjoyed her stay and encouraged us to go on the 50 km quad bike trip which was fantastic. It was made perfect also by visiting a Moroccan Farmers house to sip mint tea. Being over 50 I was a bit anxious about the ride but loved it. If you go wear very old clothes as you come back looking like you've had a spray tan!! We also visited the Yves St Laurent garden which was lovely, also the other garden full of olive trees (Too hot and a waste of time!). Our trip ended with a horse and carriage ride which was interesting to catch a glimpse of culture and everyday goings on.
We took a taxi to the Souks about 8pm at night, not a good idea as the square is rather intimidating. We got very lost down one of the maze of side narrow streets, a boy showed us the way and wanted 100 drms for the pleasure!! We gave him 50 and had to shake him off!!!
The back streets are a maze of tiny alleyways where locals frequent. We decided to return another day in the late afternoon to do our Haggling and be able to see the delights of the square. You need your wits about you somewhat!
You must be prepared to be pestered and to negotiate your price......... 5 pairs of lovely silk trousers 400 drms......... good result!! It is very very hot in the medina so take plenty of water!!
We went to a roof top cafe and from there could see the whole of the square, it really is a magical place! We took the free hotel bus which is perfect.
I would thoroughly recommend this holiday as I consider myself rather fussy and it certainly ticked all the boxes.
Upon our return we opened our case and there was Freddy!!!!! the frog that had been visiting our balcony each day!!! What a surprise!! We imagine it jumped in when our cases were packed and left open the night before. The next case........ out jumped another one!!!!
We called environmental health who came and took them away!!! The man said we could have been arrested at the airport............ Right!!!!!
The huge pond at the hotel is home to many frogs! Beware when packing if you are on the ground floor. Thank you to all of the staff at the hotel who all made our holiday delightful.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms were quiet and cool in the evening
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Maggie W
Warwick, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2013

Just returned from this hotel on a family holiday and decided to let the people know that this is wonderful hotel with the most polite and friendly staff I have ever encountered .
Food was great and not covered by flies as reported in another miserable persons review in fact the restaurant was immaculate and plenty of choice to keep children and adults favouring local cuisine happy.
Yes they allow smoking in the bar and lobby areas but mostly this doesn't affect anyone else as non smokers have plenty of other places to sit around the spacious lobby and bar areas , the non smoking lobby will never be happy with a whiff of smoke and these people seem to do the most moaning and bad reviews
Pool was a good size and well appointed , the only gripe was having to get up early to find a prime spot which is hardly the hotels fault, the pool / pool bar staff were great and incorruptible as we tried to bribe them to reserve sun beds which they refused but they still brought drinks to us .
Rooms were a good size with air conditioning and kept clean and tidy by the cleaning team .
If I had any gripes it would only be the lack of choice of spirits and beers they could offer up some alternatives from the set menu if you where prepared to pay a little extra.
Overall great experience , ignore totally the negative reviews some small minded people have posted check it out you won't be sorry.

3 Thank Paul M