“CHILLED & RELAXING HOLIDAY” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of ClubHotel Riu Tikida Palmeraie

ClubHotel Riu Tikida Palmeraie
Ranked #101 of 508 Hotels in Marrakech
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“CHILLED & RELAXING HOLIDAY”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 2 weeks from 8th August 2013 and we can't wait to go back.

Going through the airport on arrival was quick & efficient followed by a comfortable short ride to the hotel (only took around 25-30mins). We arrived around 9.30pm to a fruit punch and told to go straight through to get some food. Checking in followed which was quick and painless - after locating our bags they were soon delivered to our room. Please be aware this is a massive complex (over 5,000 rooms) and it took us some time to find our room. The room was clean and basic but comfortable and cool - to be truthful we were hardly in our room!!!! It was cleaned every day and we were left 1-2 bottles of water daily but you can always ask for a bottled of water from any of the bars during the day. After reading lots of reviews we requested a room which was a bit of a walk from any noise (room 1127) so was quite of an evening and we were never disturbed.

The pool is massive with plenty of beds but be advised we were getting up any time from 6.30-7.00am to get a good spot and loungers - be advised this is down to all the Brits!!!!! The sun was out from 8am until 7-8pm and was very hot.

The food is plentiful with lots of different meals & plenty of choice for everybody. The main restaurant is always busy but it doesn't ever look like a school canteen - everybody queues and waits their turn. The Moroccan restaurant is a must - totally gorgeous food. Only bad point about this restaurant is they sometimes try to fit too many people in and we were squashed up a corner with the next "table for 2" right up against our table - apart from that it was a lovely evening.

The staff are so friendly and polite - shame this cant be said for the Reception staff who always seemed to be uninterested and unable to smile. They just didn't seem to be bothered and their English is very poor which sometimes made things quite hard. You can request the day before you depart to keep your room longer - we tried this but be warned I was told a different price to the man in front of me (and we both wanted to keep the room until 4pm) but a lady was told the week before that it was free of charge. We didn't keep our room but there are amenities at the in-door pool for you to shower and change without any problems.

The entertainment is amateur but they really do try their hardest. They always do evening entertainment and work very hard during the day also with yogo, aqua aerobics, table tennis, volley ball etc...... They are totally amazing with the children and from what we seen the children totally love them.

There is a shuttle bus facility into the town centre - we had a very unpleasant experience and would avoid going into the town by yourself. If you wanted to explore I would advise paying extra and booking with your tour operator and going as a group and with a guide. The hotel doesn't have much around there is a shop in the hotel and also a very short taxi ride will get you to local supermarket (the hotel does have their own taxi's which can be booked for you).

It is a lovely hotel for couples or families and we can't wait to go back next year with our children.

Room Tip: Email your tour operator and request If you would like an upstairs room or a quite room away from th...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,260)
  • Turkish first
Cardiff, South Wales, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2013

We stayed at this hotel for one week at the beginning of May. Myself and partner had never been on an AI holiday before and with recommendations from friends to stay at this hotel we thought we'd give it a try.

Beautiful hotel and grounds, very clean, fantastic staff and the food was delicious.

We booked the holiday through Thomsons and the reps were very helpful and gave good advice about the area. I would defiantly recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to visit Marrakech.

The hotel manager was always walking around checking everything was ok and always made an effort to come to speak to you which I thought was a nice touch.

I also had a treatment in the spa which was very reasonable and very relaxing.

WIFI was available in the main hotel which was useful (even though a little slow during peak times).

The only negative I would say about this hotel is I don't think there are enough sun beds/loungers for the number of guests. With there not being a beach in the area most people stay by the pool during the day. We stayed early May which I don't think is a peak time and we struggled to find a bed. I should have got up earlier and it probably wouldn't have been an issue :)

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Whitehaven, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2013

We stayed here on our first stay to morrocco and one word fantastic.i was quite suprised after reading some bad reviews ,i my self work in a travel agents so sort of knew what to expect but this hotel went over and beyong my expectations.The food was amazing but only if you like to try morrocon culture,the food could become very samey if you were hunting for english food ha.the entertainment team were fab and the hote lwas cleaned everyday.

Everyday we came back to fresh bedding and fresh bottles of water in the fridge.The staff could not do enough for you here.The pool is just amazing really nice and cool ecspecially in the temperatures it was ,far too hot for my liking but live and learn..

I strongly reccomend the ouzzard waterfall tour that was just amazing the views were spectacular and had grwat fun going out on boats that were totally not safe but its all part of the fun..and they are not too badly priced either ..TIP -ignore the only morrocan dirham,they expect every currency here euros american dollars sterling aswell as their own money.

overall this hotel was just fab fab fab fab,,i would reccomend this hotel to anyone

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2013

The first thing to say is that this is an "all inclusive" resort. That means you'll be given a wrist band to wear for the duration, the meals are buffet style, drinks will be served "en-mass" (most if the time) and the wine isn't going to be Chateau Rothschild 1986.

That being said, this is an excellent, quality, very safe, value for money, family holiday that I highly recommend.

The resort is situated 20-30 minutes from Marrakech International Airport. If you've arrived via the Thompson/First Choice package then your transfer is per-arranged. If, like us, you're do-it-yourself, then you'll need to get a taxi which, despite official signs stating the price as 125 Dirham, it could be up to 200drm (depending on how confused your taxi driver can make you). Don't worry though, this price fluctuation (up or down) is an everyday event in Marrakech, with haggling for price an essential part of most transactions. Get into it....you'll enjoy it as do the Moroccans themselves!

The rooms are basic but comfortable. The air-conditioning works very well and is quiet enough to sleep with on. Large bottles of mineral water are replenished every day as the water in the taps isn't drinkable. There is a small television with channels in various languages including a few favourites that we'd all recognise. Each room has its own small porch leading onto a private grass area.

All restaurants and the auditorium are fully non smoking however the main reception building and bar allow smoking inside. This can be annoying for non-smokers but in a country where smoking is usually allowed everywhere, it's a small inconvenience as you don't have to spend much time there if you choose not to.

Wifi is available but notoriously unreliable and only available in the main building. Its particularly poor in the evenings when every man, woman and child is attempting to access the Internet. It's very frustrating and something they need to resolve.

The pool is huge! An adult can stand up everywhere into pool with the depth going from 0.8m to 1.5m as you move around. One whole side has a long, gentle slope into the pool. Unfortunately the European habit of placing towels on sun loungers at ridiculously early hours of the morning is thriving at the Riu Tikida. If there's more than two of you (we are a family if 4 with small children) you'll just have to get used to this and get involved if you want to ensure a place with shade. The upside of this is that the clientele is predominantly northern English and French so the moreTeutonic tendency to remove belongs from "saved spaces" doesn't happen. Towels are available from reception throughout the day. This can be inconvenient if your room is far across the property and an exchange "at pool side" would be far more sensible. The grounds are extremely well maintained with gardeners constantly at work keeping the grass lush and the flowers blooming.

The staff are wonderful; extremely friendly and always on hand should you need anything. A small tip of 20drm greases the wheels and keeps everyone smiling. Entertainment occurs constantly throughout the day either by the pool, in the pool, in the Mini, Maxi or Teeny Clubs and into the night with kids disco, kids movies and a family show every night.

As mentioned and despite an earlier posting re smoking in the restaurants, these are all now completely non-smoking. And the food is far better than I expected. You can be as healthy or as decadent as you would like at Riu Tikida with a buffet restaurant available for all every night in the main dining room or you can book 24 hours early for a sitting at the Italian (not fantastic) or traditional Moroccan (very good) specialty restaurants. I've eaten in some very exclusive restaurants all over the world and I'm happy to say I enjoyed all of my meals at Tikida.

The gym is very well stocked with relatively new machinery and is air conditioned. The Spa is very nice with excellent, well priced packages for everything from a back massage to a 2 hour indulgence!

A coach transfer to and from the Medina is available at various times throughout the day although I would highly recommend booking in advance as places fill up quickly. Also worth booking in advance (8am the morning before you leave) is a late check out. Most UK flights leave late afternoon and with an 11am checkout you could find yourself storing your luggage and showering in the Spa. At 500drm for a very late checkout its well worth the investment.

With a 5 year old and a 9 year old to feed, water and keep entertained I rate this property very highly as an excellent family get away.

Room Tip: I believe there are 5 main accommodation blocks with ground floor and first floor rooms, radiating f...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank samndan2000
Preston, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2013

The hotel was only a short ride from the airport, and the attentive staff were waiting for us with food and drinks at 2am as our flight had been delayed. The reception staff dealt with us very efficiently so we were in our room in no time. The central lobby is spacious and full of seating, and the rooms are airy and comfortable with the addition of a sofa.
Food was lovely, especially the Moroccan restaurant, and there was plenty of choice in the main buffet.
We used the complimentary shuttle bus in to the centre of Marrakech several times. This is an excellent service, a convenient way to see Jma el Fnaa and the Souks, and we only had to book the day before.
The pool is very large and is the perfect temperature to hang around in for a couple of hours, as it was incredibly hot outside! I also had a Hammam and clay wrap treatment in the spa. The staff were lovely and it was incredibly relaxing and refreshing.

The only couple of issues we had were the sun loungers and smoking. Sun loungers were reserved VERY early- if you aren't out well before breakfast all the decent spots in the shade are gone, and you will struggle to get one at all after 9! We squashed in to small spaces that had a bit of shade with random spare chairs.
The smoking was an issue for us as my boyfriend is asthmatic, and it seemed like there were smokers everywhere. The lobby bar is a smoking area so we had to be careful about where we sat.

Overall this was an excellent value holiday in a very comfortable, convenient hotel and I would definitely recommend the location for a good combination of relaxation and exploration.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank LPomford
Lincoln, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2013

We stayed here for 2 weeks returning home on the 20th Aug. we travelled with our two daughters 13 & 15. We booked interconnecting rooms however they do not interconnect but 2 rooms joined by one small porch way which can be shut off with key card access only, however we felt very safe and had no need to close the door to porch. Rooms are very spacious lovely powerful showers and the maids do a great job. Only downside is air conditions could of been a bit better although from speaking to other guests I think some works better than others, but it didn't drop below 30 degrees at night so bound to be on the warm side.

Food was very nice and lots of choice especially if you like fish, I don't each fish only chicken but I could always find something to eat, hubby and kids are more adventurous and tried lots of different things and thoroughly enjoyed it. The breakfast buffet was just lovely and lots of choice, stay away from the beans they are nothing like Heinz.. Yuk!! I had Salads for lunch most days with different pastas and rice, couldn't fault the food what so ever. Drinks although branded did taste a little watery but I just took them back and then got the drinks from the bottle rather than the machine, white wine and rose was quite nice. Although could of done with being kept cooler but that would be extremely difficult as the temperatures most days was low 50's.

Pool was lovely and if you are a creature of habit and want the same sun beds everyday then yes you have to get up between 5-6, but if you come down 8-9 there is always sun beds available. It was really hot and a good idea to try and get some shade, I spent lots of my time sat in the pool with my book. Aqua aerobics with MJ is fun, they do come and ask if you want to join in but never hassle you and always say have a nice day, MJ has the most perculliar laugh, you'll know who mean...

We did 2 trips, went to the souks and medina in the afternoon went with a guide and he was very knowledgeable and I would defiantly recommend going with Thomas trip as they know lots about Marakech. We also did the Atala mountains 4x4 after a little hiccup and not being on the list we went the nxt day wasn't a problem Stacey the rep sorted it out immediately. The trip to the Atals mountains was amazing and if I went to morocco again I would defiantly do this trip again. Fabulous scenery and the girls enjoyed seeing how the Burber families live in the mountains, worlds apart from all the devices our children have.

I would strongly recommend this hotel to anyone, excellent value for money and the staff really do try there best to make your stay as pleasant and relaxing as possible.

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank philjball61
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2013

Thank you in advance for reading this I hope it helps, my review is done on the experience of our party of 6 which was (2x adults, 2x teenagers & 2 Kids) and travelled from London Gatwick on the 12th August for 7 days at the Tikida.
To start with Morocco is hot, but August is amazingly HOT, average temps for our week were 45-51degs C and if you want to understand how that feels stand in front of your hairdryer whilst on and that will give you an idea of what the breeze feels like. Before I mention the hotel just a quick bit about Marrakech, if you want to go to the Souks (20mins from hotel) with kids like we did, please make sure you think about it long and hard, my wife was not comfortable from the second we stepped off the bus and couldn't wait to get back on and so our 2 hours in the souks was not enjoyable, it is unbelievably busy, smelly & dirty, the market square was just a sea of people and I would say only 2% of the mass was tourists. The souks are very tight with traders/hagglers enticing you in every second and makes you feel a bit harassed. We would not do it again with the kids in tow, and may consider it again on our own MAYBE ! The resort lays on a free coach service to the souks everyday with return pick ups which is great, ask at reception when you arrive for the timetable and map which is free. I did barter for the stuff we got, but to be honest I was not sure if was the best deal as they started high knowing you were looking to go for half of the price.

OK now the resort - Something you will not see written on any of the brochures is that this is a french hotel resort that caters for british holiday makers, why do I say that well the music & entertainment is very much catered for the French tourist, although all the staff speak french, english & arabic fluently, it just has the feel of the european flavour. Now for the Positive & Negatives of our holiday.
Positives - Friendliness and cleanliness is brilliant, the staff cannot do enough for you (especially if you give them a tip and the beginning of the holiday**Top Tip**). Pool is big with lots of different depths and is great for all ages. The water is cool (wife would say cold), but I thought it was refreshing and was surprising considering the temperature outside. Rooms were spacious and cleaned every day with some nice touches (e.g. swans made out of towels on your bed with rose petals) water was also supplied to the room every day. Lots of daytime activities for all ages and I certainly enjoyed the morning volleyball, the afternoon water polo and the odd ping pong game. The kids creche was also very good, but only open certain times during the day. Reception staff very helpful and always a good source on local info. The restaurants are spacious and the waiters are brilliant. The day/evening entertainment staff are also excellent always friendly and always smiling which you cannot fault. Safe & secure resort with security guards on patrol in the day/evening (not blatant).

Negatives - Connecting rooms aren't connected via a door, there version is a shared alcove door which does not lock and so you have to go through the front doors to get into each room, bit of pain. The Resort is big with the pool being the centre point to the resort and that the rooms which are pushed out away from the pool in 2 storey blocks, we were in a 4-5min walk from the pool depending on people traffic & what you were carrying, Almost a 5-8min walk to the reception which I have no problem walking, however when you have daughter on crutches due to a broken kneecap it is a bit of choir (however said the hotel did give us a wheel chair which came in very handy). But when you have to walk in 50deg C it makes for a sweaty finish especially when you get to the restaurant. Evening entertainment is limited especially for the kids as it is all in french and ends at 8.30pm. Food was OK and in plenty in quantity it was aimed at the european taste buds and so kids choice was near enough pizza & chips, the presentation was excellent and always replenished and there were no flies that I saw. The Gift Shop, well what one word can I use to describe it, oh I know "RIPOFF"! If you need anything like suncream,gifts or crisps then be prepared to pay extortionate prices. Roughly they were charging £22'ish for small bottle of Niviea suncream and around £3'ish for a packet of medium sized crisps, the fact they were always counting money when I went in the shop infuriated me more as it was blatant that they had you over a barrel. Top tip the airport sells lots of the same stuff (gift wise) so you can get presents there at half the price on your way home. On day 5 we ended up paying for a taxi to take us to a big supermarket (supermarche grande) to get some essentials (be prepared to see the real Marrakech which is dingy, dirty, smelly and sadly very deprived), however when you get there the price of things are a 1/4 of the gift shop price if not more, we asked our taxi driver to wait for us and paid 200DAH for the whole trip, which is about £16, but worth it believe me.
WiFi, although it is free in the reception/lobby area (only) you will struggle to get a signal after7pm as everyone is on it. Cocktails are not very imaginative and are weak which can be a good thing, the beer is not draft and is poured from small cans and along with the shorts/cocktails the drinks are served in small glasses and it always feels you are at the bar waiting to be served. (top tip be brash at the bar and don't assume you will be served because you were the next in turn. The europeans just shout there orders out and get served)The bars shut at 12am, not that it bothered us as we were all shattered by 10.30pm everyday, although my teenage daughter could never get a soft drink or snack after 12am, because like all typical teenagers they were to cool to hang around mum & dad and liked to hang around in groups until the wee hours of the morning, this was disappointing for me as it meant you had to make sure they were stocked up with soft drinks before hitting the sack, it basically closes until morning (which is not what I would class as all-inclusive) call me picky!! Like most european holiday resorts you have to get up early to get a good spot by the pool. If like us you are in medium sized party you definitely need to get up around 6am and find a spot, if you are 2-4 persons then you will near enough find something although it wont be pool edge. I recommend the cabana's as they offer the most shade, however make sure you get the pool guys attention early in the morning as they only have a certain number of canvases, not enough to go around.

Take plenty of suncream we ran out on day 5 hence the trip to the supermarket, and because of the heat you are slapping it on more than you would normally. Water is always available and in big bottles too, the soft drinks are all branded (unlike the alcohol) with plenty of ice always available. We all enjoyed are stay and was great fun however 7 days was enough for us, and I would not say no to going back there, but I would probably pay a little more and go back to the Caribbean for an all-inclusive experience.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family