“Winter sun”

ClubHotel Riu Tikida Palmeraie
Ranked #108 of 500 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed 4 December 2013

I left all the arrangements to my friend, a girlie trip away, winter sun, shopping and only 3 hours away!
The hotel is huge so no overcrowding, service attentive and prompt with the cocktails! Food creative and not repetitive as with some buffets. Swimming pool chilly this time of year but warmed up with hammam massage at the hotel spa.
November temperature 27 degrees, airport transfer 20 minutes, city 15 minutes away with FREE shuttle bus. Shopping be prepared to haggle, fun!
Marrakech ...vibrant

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Bossybaloo08
Write a ReviewReviews (5,969)

Reviewed 3 December 2013 via mobile

I booked this holiday as a birthday present for my fiancée through thomsons, I must say the whole booking experience was excellent as I had never booked a holiday abroad before and this hotel was recommended to me by the lady at thomsons.

After arriving at the airport the transfer was smooth only took about 20/25 minutes to get to The hotel and everyone on the coach where going to the same hotel so no stopping off at other hotels which was excellent.

Arriving at the hotel we were given drinks which were lovely, we checked in and recieved our wrists bands for the all inclusive in the hotel. The main lobby/reception was lovely and soooo clean, we went and ate and had some drinks, plenty food and drink to choose from ( although the drinks were a tad strong, I've never said that before but the bartenders tend not to measure drinks and the first drinks we had were undrinkable ) we got our room key cards around 3/4 o'clock which was fine, our room number was 2114 it was an upstairs room in the gardens it was lovely and quiet, in the middle of the block of rooms there was a lovely garden with banana plants and other lovely plants and trees, the room was really really clean and very spacious, the covers were kinda fleecy but a tad itchy, didn't bother me that much though it was my fiancée who pointed it out.

FOOD- all restaurants are buffet style, I loved them All, especially the Moroccan, loads to choose from
Although the wine wasn't that good the red was drinkable and the rose was drinkable but the white was abit too sharp, more like vinegar... Nothing that bad to complain about just wasn't to my taste.

They stop serving drinks at 12 but they can give you bottles of juice for you to take to your room if you want to put it in your fridge there are bottles of water aswell in the room, if you want to buy alcohol there is a big massive supermarket just about 10 minute walk from the hotel that sells imported brands and their own alcohol, their own alcohol was so cheap but we never realised we could buy any alcohol until the Thursday the day before we left so there was no point as the receptionist told us we wouldn't get alcohol anywhere around there to take to our room.

The shuttle bus is really good just remember and book in advance you can also book a few bus times just incase you miss a bus, also the hotel has a deal with the taxis to the taxis prices are set so it costs 100 dh to get into town and 150 dh to get back, which is about 7/10 pounds which is very reasonable and the taxi drivers are nice, the driving on the roads though is something else, it's quite scary, they just beep beep beep at each other and there are lots of mopeds with families on them, four people on a moped is a bit much but hey ho that's how they get around.

The main square at night is lovely but abit bizarre as some shops are there at night that aren't there during the day, either that or the shops just look more inviting during the night, if you want to buy things you need to haggle like a mad man, my fiancée just tends to walk away then they come after you and give you it for the price you offered rather than their ridiculous prices, which is good... They see me coming though as I'm rather gullible, so I let the mrs do all the talking...the new town is lovely and looks like a completely different place there are some nice casinos and night clubs... The skybar is in the new town beside KFC it seems to be popular.

The staff at the hotel are just magic soo friendly and attentive, the maids are really really good the whole hotel was spotless

The entertainment was good but not excellent, the activities by the pool seemed to get some people interested, I just wanted to relax an play in the pool, the pool was freezing but I'm from Scotland so it didn't bother me haha....

All in all I had a really lovely first holiday with my fiancée, I have already recommended it to all my friends and family... The only downside was the fact that some people got mugged in the main square which isn't at all the hotels fault just watch out for the small children selling chewing gum and sweets or toys, they tend to run away with your bag....

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Krisjo89
Reviewed 3 December 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 4 nights on our honeymoon at the end of November. We were a little sceptical after reading some of the recent reviews but the hotel and the gardens are very pretty and well looked after. Our room was huge and had a separate toilet and shower room, we were around a 5 min walk from reception past the huge pool, the pool was too cold to swim in but I wouldn't expect it to be warm in November and the inside pool is lovely and warm and a good size. There were loads of sun beds, there was no issue at all of not been able to find one. The food for an all inclusive was great, there was different food each day and the Moroccan restaurant is well worth a visit, the food there is all Moroccan - completely different to the normal restaurant, it is still buffet style but that's what I would expect on an all inclusive, I'm not sure why people are complaining about this. There were some toddlers/babies around but they caused no trouble at all, we didn't notice they were there, I guess if you go on holiday in school holidays you should expect lots of children if you don't like it then go on holiday during term time or pay more money and go to an adults only hotel. We couldn't of picked a better place to spend our honeymoon.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Andrea L
Reviewed 2 December 2013

We have just returned after 11nights in this hotel. This was our first holiday together and I must say a brilliant experience. Transfer to the hotel with thomsons was smooth and easy and the airport is close to the hotel. We were greeted by resturant staff with drinks (which my husband enjoyed) and taken straight through to the resturant to eat (we had the choice to either check in or eat). We thn checked in and made our way to the rooms. It was dark so it took us a while to find our hotel room but secutiry located outside were helpful and showed us the right way. We were in room 3111 (requested a pool side view but did not receive this), there was one available mid week so we decided to book ourselves for this and moved rooms 3days later. Rooms are very spacious and clean. Baggage took abit too long to be dropped off so we had to call and follow this up. Alot can be heard in the rooms to, walls seem to be too thin as we good hear snoring sometimes!

Also, it took the maid til 4 o'clock in the afternoon to clean our room on the first day even after making 2 calls to the reception. Other than that, the maids did do a good job but I felt we were looked after'ed more in the pool side view room rather than the garden side view. Also, TIP THE MAID ON THE DAY YOU GO, my husband felt kind and tipped them early and we felt that they lost their touch and did not do the kind of job they did before.

Hotel very spacious and pretty. Lovely view of the gardens and plenty of places to walk around. Pool looks beautiful on a hot sunny day and was always sun beds available.
Shuttle bus provided to take you to the markets which is brilliant.

Resturants and food was brilliant. Always was food available even if breakfast and lunch had finished. We tried the italian but did not see the point in this as food seemed the same so stuck to the main dining area. Resturant staff were brilliant, polite helpful and provided excellent service. Candles were provided some dinners which made it a lovely atmosphere.
My husband also made good friends with the bar staff who were just as good as the resturant staff. reception were very helpful and helped us with any questions we had. They also greeted us everytime we saw them and were again very friendly. Staff also recognise you straight away and bring drinks that they know you usually get even without ordering which is excellent!

Entertainment in the evening is provided and it was quite good at times. The entertainment team work very hard to please us, but we are hard to be pleased but I think they did a good job.

DOWNSIDE was that the wifi is really bad. Really really bad. most of the time we managed to connect but it was stupidly slow. And for the first 2 days we could not get connection at all, even when there was nobody in the lobby area!! I over heard a lot off people also complaining about this. Its a big hotel and they can provide everything so its time wifi gets sorted.

Overall excellent stay and we loved it! No hotel is perfect and they all have there own problems but any problem we had was sorted promptly and a excellent service was provided. Well worth the money paid and we certainly would visit again!

Room Tip: email them in advance and when you get to reception to check in remind them of the room you chose
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 December 2013 via mobile

We visited this hotel back in May for 11 nights and had a fantastic time. Best all inclusive we have ever stayed in. Service is incredible, never on any holiday have we been introduced to the hotel staff including manager in a welcome meeting. Everyone from management to gardeners were pleasant and helpful. Was nice to see the manager round the hotel each day checking on guests making sure they were ok.
Food was amazing never ate so much in my life, the hotel has two al carte restaurants one Italian and the other Moroccan. Italian wasn't that great (get everything in buffet restaurant but nice intermit setting) Moroccan was amazing and the room has a lovely authentic feel.
Waiters very attentive and the restaurant has a nice feel to it. On a Sunday they even offer champagne and smoked salmon - brilliant!
Rooms are nice and big, cleaned everyday if anything a little dark but you don't go on holiday to stay in your room.
Pool is massive and the hotel grounds are well kept.
We did two tips while we were there. The trip to the Ozoud waterfalls which was a day and was brilliant and a nice adventure - followed by an authentic Moroccan meal in a little mountain village. The other trip was the guided tour round the souks for the afternoon. This was fantastic and the souks were brilliant it isn't as bad as others make out it to be and being a young woman I felt very safe.
All in all we had a fantastic holiday and would defiantly go to again. If anyone has any doubts just book and you won't be disappointed

Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank photomadUk
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Just got back on 29th Nov after being at this hotel for a week, we usually go to Tunisia but fancied a change, great hotel, probably the cleanest we have ever stayed in, the cleaning staff never seem to stop, a bit annoying sometimes as they will mop around you, we had to request that the room was freshened up because of the smell of cigarette smoke but overall the rooms are kept spotless.

DO NOT leave your balcony window open as there are cats roaming around and although we had an upper room (5105) which is a great room we had a cat come into room while we were asleep and walked over my wife which woke us up and freaked us both out. I think the beds are hard whichever room you end up in, even with the matrress toppers on them.

The food was very good, good choice for all.

We didn't like the location of the hotel because there is not anywhere to walk to, the free shuttle goes into marrakech several times a day but once you've done that thats it, and if you don't like the city there's nothing else to do unless you book trips, which we ended up doing.

The gardens are lovely, well kept, and very tidy, the chef's come out and pick the fresh herbs to use in there cooking too.

The staff are very friendly and helpful, nothing is too much trouble. Entertainment staff never stop, do not know where they get their energy from.

Overall we will not go back to Morocco as in our opinion its not as nice as Tunisia, but thats just us.

Room Tip: We emailed the hotel 2 week before traveling and requested a room with afternoon sun and view of atl...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GaryGoodman
Reviewed 1 December 2013

I visited this hotel at the end of November with my girlfriend and family. We chose this time of year as it was for a special birthday and hoped the weather would still be nice. On arrival it was dark and pouring with rain so didn’t get to see much on the 25 minute transfer.

CHECK IN was smooth and we were greeted on arrival by the animation staff who gave us all cocktails. The lobby is impressive with large chandeliers and a fountain. We were checked in within 5 minutes and our bags were taken to our room. We found it a little tricky to find our room in the dark - the signposting of the room numbers wasn’t great! The rooms are spread out but no where is more than a 5 min walk, which I prefer that to one big block.

THE ROOM was quite large with 2 wardrobes, a separate bathroom and toilet, balcony with table and chairs, twin beds, a small flat screen television, sofa and plenty of surfaces. The beds weren’t great - rock hard with springs that stick in you - and only one very thin pillow each. It was nice to have a ceiling fan as the air conditioning didn’t seem to do a lot! The selection of TV channels was good, ITV and BBC 1 in particular. The main Premier League games were on if you like football.

THE MAIDS did a good job cleaning the rooms - they went to the effort of making something out of towels every day. On the day of my mum’s birthday they made a very large swan in her room! One day they hung my sister’s earrings off a towel sculpture which we felt was going a bit too far.

BE AWARE the maids may help themselves to your toiletries! Nothing of value went missing but they took about half of my girlfriend’s sanitary products!

We had mixed views about THE FOOD. There was always something you could eat and quite a good selection, which changed each day. We often found food to be cold - particularly at breakfast. I also thought the food was often bland which surprised me being in Morocco. The food sometimes lacked seasoning and the desserts were quite tasteless and lacked sugar - good if you don’t have a sweet tooth! Service in the restaurant was usually good - there was the odd occasion where we weren’t offered drinks but you can easily help yourself. If you are a fussy eater, there is pizza and chips every day which was very nice. One of our party is vegetarian and though the selection wasn’t very good. We never had to wait for a table or queue much for the food.

If you let the staff know it’s your birthday, they will scatter petals on your table and provide you with a bottle of fizzy wine. They will also sing you happy birthday and bring you a cake - a nice touch!

THE POOL was impressive and we always found plenty of sun beds available (which could be due to the fact it was November). The pool was freezing cold and very few people were using it. After the first day, they weather improved and was in the 20s every day. Being winter, the sun sets quite early and it does get chilly on an evening. I would recommend taking a jumper.

There were 2 POOL BARS so you never had far to go for a drink. There’s a self service drink area around the pool but the sight of flies crawling all over the drink nozzles put me right off using that!

I read a review saying there were hundreds of cats! Well there are cats, but I would say maybe 7 and they are very friendly. I thought the cats were actually a good point of the hotel.

One thing that needs improvement is the INTERNET. You can only access the WI-FI by sitting in the lobby and it was always extremely slow. It doesn’t help there are usually 20 other people all trying to use it - try to find a quiet time.

To summarise, it was a nice hotel and good value. I feel they could improve the food, the comfort of the beds and the Internet speed & coverage but I would still recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family