“Not what i expected!”

ClubHotel Riu Tikida Palmeraie
Ranked #108 of 499 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed 6 May 2014

myself & my partner have just come back from a weeks stay here,I feel i give good honest reviews on hotels but like anything in life what one person likes another may hate so this hotel may have not been for me but with the numerous good reviews most seem to like it!
I choose this hotel due to the attractive price,the good trip advisor reviews & the fact it was branded a 4* platinum .....so here goes

POSITIVES
* good location - close enough to the souks etc but in a cleaner,quieter area
* pretty gardens & clean outside
* free shuttle bus to the square
* only 30 mins from the airport
* large spacious rooms
*large pool

And thats about it for positives!

NEGATIVES

* cockroaches!!! and a lot!
*very basic rooms with 2 single beds pushed together
*no tea/coffee facilities in your room
* empty mini fridge - why have it?
* pool & bathroom towels are hard & at the end of there life
*limited selection of food at buffet esp if your a vegetarian or fussy eater (like myself)
*flys frozen into the ice cubes!!!
* very poor standard of entertainment at night - can't compare but I'm sure butlins would be better!
*the pool like everyone has said is freezing even with temperatures in the high 30's but its a must to use when your sunbathing so just jump in
*foul sewage smell from the bathroom plug hole - enough to make you gag when leaning over the sink to clean your teeth!
*lots of flys in the restaurants/lobby
*poor,poor WIFI,you can only connect in certain areas of the lobby or lobby bar & when everyone else is also trying to connect just give up!

I could go on with the negatives!

TIPS
*if you want to use the free shuttle bus to visit the square at night book well in advance e.g. a few days!
*if theres more than 2 of you & you want sun loungers all together as a group then you need to be up reserving loungers at 6.30am!

We traveled with thompson/first choice & did 2 day trips bought via them,the discover marrakech one & the cascades one.
We were in a ground floor room which we had no disturbence of noise,we did however have no view from our terrace other than a large tree but the view from a room is not a necessity to us as if we wanted an amazing view we would pay for one & choose a country to accommodate this.
myself & my partner both ended up with upset tummys & terrible sickness at the same time - I'm a vegetarian so we never ate the same thing! (figure that one out)
We never ate in the additional 2 restaurants as they are buffet not menu based or table served so didn't see the point & with what these restaurants do serve its usually available in the main buffet every night.
We used the free shuttle bus to the souks but did need to book a few days in advance to get the time we wanted.
Overall i was terribly disappointed with the hotel & i cannot see how it rates as a 4* platinum,i personally would rate it as a 3* platinum & by saying platinum I'm being generous!
I think I've been generous with giving this hotel 3 out of 5 stars as ideally i would give it 2.5 given a chance.
We achieved what we set out for this holiday .. i wanted a suntan & rest & my keen photographer partner got his cultural pictures but i would NOT return here or recommend it I'm sure my positives vs negatives can show you that.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (5,870)

Reviewed 6 May 2014

I went to Marrakech late June early July in 2013 with my boyfriend & i completely fell in love with this hotel.

We booked via Thomson & although i was looking forward to a break away, i was slightly worried as I've always heard such bad things about Marrakech.
When we arrived we were welcomed with the RIU entertainment team & a some cocktails which was lovely, the hotels bell boys took our suitcases to our room, while we went straight to the restaurant, we arrived at 10pm, so it was lovely that we could eat & relax.
We got to our room around 10.30, the blocks are only 1 story tall, which i really loved.
The inside of the rooms were lovely, very big & lovely and cold, the beds were comfy & the television had english channels, which was a lovely surprise.
The only little bad point, the balcony view we had wasn't that great, just palm trees, but this didn't really effect our holiday. The bathroom is amazing, a massive marble bath and huge mirror.

They hold a meeting on the first day, to tell you all about the excursions and about the hotel, i cannot praise the RIU entertainment team enough, the really did make the holiday.
We decided to go quad biking, camel riding & Marrakech by night, all were lots of fun & i would recommend them, they were both fairly priced.

Quad Biking: Lots of fun,i would recommend taking some sunglasses as some dust does get past the goggles & light clothing.
Camel Riding: I loved this, you should wear long trousers to avoid rubbing & some water.
Marrakech by night: A lovely horse ride around Marrakech and a walk around the market, i did the evening slot, it was amazing! Bring a camera, theres lots to see, well worth it to see the real Marrakech, BUT after my own stupidity, i decided to get 'Henna' on my arm, it was black and was itchy, when i got back to the hotel i tried to wash it off, i spoke with reception & was told it was actually hair dye (a cheaper alternative to Henna) the receptionist was very helpful, i went to a local doctor to get some cream so it wouldn't scar, i had a bandage on for my last day & it didn't scar, so DO NOT GET A HENNA.

The hotel is spectacular, its a massive hotel & the grounds are beautiful with flowers and lovely gardens, the indoor pool is lovely & usually empty, the gym (although i never used) from what my boyfriend said was really good, with air conditioning. The pool is without a doubt the best pool I've been to, its huge! There is a good spacing between sun beds & only two rows, along the back there are double sun beds with canopies, perfect for families! We got the same spot most days, like most hotels you will have to get up & put your towels down, i always did ours before breakfast around 8am, we made lots of friends who sometimes put our towels down if we wanted a little sleep in.

The activities the RIU entertainment team provide are lots of fun! My personal favourite was the water polo & volleyball, they make every effort to get you involved and very welcoming, my boyfriend did most activities most days and always had such good thing to say.

The night activities are great, although its the same RIU team all night & day and i sometimes thought they must be exhausted although they never showed it! The stage room is big & always enough seats for everyone. The bar has all different cocktails, although i did miss some Malibu! But enough variety.

The food is nice, i always enjoyed my meals, although i did get a little fed up of the same sorts of food, there is lots to choose from though, having a waiter show you to your table & a candle at the table, all little touches which was lovely.

Overall i had the best time in Marrakech & its my favourite holiday so far, the hotel is just stunning & the RIU team really do work so hard to give you the best holiday! I did miss leaving the hotel in the evening, for a walk to the shop etc, but the hotel has so much to do you didn't have to leave!
I would highly recommend this holiday for couples & older families.

Its Brilliant!

Room Tip: Higher floors, you might be lucky enough to get a beautiful pool view.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Demmileigh29
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I stayed here from 16th to 24th April with my wife and 2 kids (ages 4 & 6).
I never had to queue for food or drinks. The pool is amazing. Try to get a room on ground floor facing the pool. The staff are very polite and helpfull. Plenty to do with tennie, boules, table tennis, dance classes, water polo, bingo, childrens creche and so on. There is a resident animation team that entertain tastfully throughout the day. Take advantage of the free coach into the square. Will love to go back one day.

Room Tip: Book a ground floor room near the pool.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 May 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here in September 2013, and had a lovely break. We booked 11 nights through Thomson and were lucky enough to be given a pool view room, at no extra cost. The hotel is in a great location, and we enjoyed a lot of excursions, as well as taking advantage of the free shuttle bus the hotel runs into town. The entertainment wasn't the best, but it was humorous and still enjoyable. The rooms seemed pretty basic, but were clean and spacious. My only complaint was that the maids would start cleaning at 7am every morning and would make a racket in the marble hallways and corridors! Other than that, the staff were lovely and extremely helpful, and I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: If possible, when booking ask for a pool view room
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 May 2014

My husband and I spent a lovely week at this hotel in Marrakech in early April. We weren't sure what to expect, but had a fabulous time. We had booked the taxi transfer from the airport and this worked really well. We had checked in well before the coach arrived and it was only a short 30 minute transfer. We arrived at about 10pm, we deposited our bags in the lobby and we're ushered into the dining room. The hotel had put on dinner for all residents arriving that evening. Totally unexpected but very welcome. The wine and beer were both very palatable.
When we got to our room, the luggage had arrived.
The room was spacious and comfortable. Free safety deposit box is always a plus and a fridge is always welcome. Towels were a bit over used and thin. There was always plenty of hot water for a shower or bath. Rooms were cleaned daily with bottled water provided. There was no iron in the room.
The pool area was clean and well maintained. Plenty of sun beds and really friendly entertainment staff. The daily pilates and Aqua gym sessions were great. The pool was massive. The pool bar staff were very friendly Nd most of them were on duty in the evening too. The gym was basic but functional. The indoor pool was never too busy for a proper swim. The grounds were beautifully maintained and, again, spotless.
Lunch time food was served in a different restaurant to breakfast and dinner. Cannot fault the food choice. Some would say its a bit samey, but I love fruit, salads etc. as a non meat eater, I never failed to find something to eat. Restaurant staff were always friendly and polite. The same cannot be said for the hotel reception staff. No one seemed to be in overall charge and they were a bit unresponsive. The Moroccan restaurant was wonderful! It's a must. Just book in advance. We didn't try the Italian.
There is a regular bus to Marrakech free from the hotel. You must go! It's everything you expect it to be. Wonderful leather goods etc in the souks. Getting lost is part of the experience. Watch out for the mopeds.
We booked on the Night at a Riad trip. This is a typical Moroccan restaurant experience and well worth doing. We really enjoyed it, but were both a bit dubious at first. Won't say anymore cos it may spoil the fun.
The reps were a little conspicuous by their absence, but we didn't really have cause to call upon their services.
We did not sample the evening entertainment, it's not really our thing. We did enjoy the a few drinks in the bar after dinner.
We don't have young children, but the kids club appeared to be well organised.
Would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone, young or old, with or without children. Will surely think about returning next year. Happy holidays xx

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Scottiedog117
Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

Well from the moment we seen the picture in the brochure to the moment we left the hotel,we knew it was gonna be amazing and it was,everyone's so friendly and it's clean and tidy all the time,the foods so nice with great selection and plenty for all,the pools so big and clean all the time, can't speak more highly of the staff there always helpful and there for you and just make it the best holiday and hotel to be at...can't wait to go back again!!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Let me start by saying I would have give this hotel full marks if it were not for the Air Con in the public areas. It is uncomfortably hot in these areas,so much so I would question weather I came back. Otherwise the hotel is really good,the staff bend over backwards to sort your every need. If you like Moroccan food you are sorted it's very very good. The only other thing I would say is. All large chain hotels, who are the buyers when it comes to the beds, surely there is a compromise between hard and soft beds. Because as usual they were uncomfortably hard. It always seems to be the large chain hotels abroad that suffer this syndrome, the UK chains seem to be sorting it out now, the foreign chains would do well to follow suit.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple