“Nice and relaxing”

Ranked #105 of 499 Hotels in Marrakech
Hornchurch, United Kingdom
“Nice and relaxing”
Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

Booked a package from thompsons. The hotel was great looking. No major hustle and bustle. The pool is nice and grounds are well kept. Lot of choice with food. Drinks are fine. Would stay again as there us a free shuttle bus to main square. You must book a day before though. Gym was good but small. But overall great place to unwind.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Jitesh M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,291)
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2014

My boyfriend and I were very impressed with our holiday at our second Club Riu hotel. The staff are amazing and they really do make the effort for guests to enjoy their break. Our room was spacious, lots of clothing space, shelves, the bathroom is a good size and separate toilet and bedae. The choice is food is amazing and there is enough for everyone - no need to pile high. The management mingle with guests and it is nice to see them. All credit to the animation team for getting guests to participate in the events during the day - respect to Kamal, Usama, Houda and MJ - you guys made our holiday such fun. I would definitely recommend this hotel to friends and family and would definitely go back.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 24Musthave1
Derby
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I was initially disappointed when finally reaching our room although the welcome from the hotel and late dinner could not be faulted after the intimidating crawl through immigration, but the room was very gloomy with one big curtain and a dark brown ceiling and overlooked a boundary wall and greenery. However we soon appreciated the cool retreat this room provided and could not fault the cleanliness. The food was excellent with numerous choice; the Moroccan I found particularly delicious and the chefs to be congratulated. The dining room was large and felt a bit like a canteen although the staff did try to make it more intimate with candles and immaculate white tablecloths. My only preference would have been for a selection of sandwiches for afternoon tea instead of the cooked things. The hotel knew it was my birthday without telling and organised a bottle of champagne and cake and the waiters sang Happy Birthday, I thought this a really nice touch and not something they needed to do or have experienced before - thank you very much.
The pool is warming up nicely and once braved getting in was pleasant particularly in the heat we had when we were there. The sunbeds are mostly all taken and it is difficult to find shade as the sun moves as the umbreallas have slats that are not moveable, there is a drinks station which is good for water and juice and we mostly used this instead of the pool bar.
The staff are friendly and the gardens beautiful and very well kept, in fact, we went to the Marjorell gardens in Marrakech but my husband preferred the hotels! I visited the Spa for a hammam with exfoliation and enjoyed the experience and thought it good value for a hotel spa.
We went on the Atlas Mountains trip with Thomson and the guide was informative. Basically it was driving up the mountain roads, stopping frequently to take photos and then lunch at a village restaurant (delicious), a visit to a berber house where you are given mint tea (also delicious) and then drive back but we felt it was worthwhile. We also went on a half day history of Marrakech trip and felt we would not have found the museum and palace without a guide so also a good use of time. We further went to Marrakech on the hotel shuttle bus and then walked to the Marjorelle gardens and bought tickets for the berber museum in the gardens but did not see it as the queue was too long. We also fell for the ruse of being shown where the tanneries were and then passed on to a guide to look round the pits and then showed into a shop for a heavy sell. The tanneries are worth seeing and luckily we wanted to buy a bag and blanket!
We went round the souks and looked at the entertainment in the square and were not hassled very much. Marrakech is great.

Room Tip: I would have liked an open pool view although it may have been more difficult to keep cool.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank leisuretraveller19
Colwyn Bay, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Stayed in April/May. Weather was 35 degrees each day. 1 day was overcast but still very warm.

Airport ~
Hotel is located approximately 30 Minutes from Airport. BE WARNED, customs is an absolute nightmare with massive queues and staff who disappear just as you get anywhere near the front. We were in the queue for 45 minutes before being let through to collect baggage. After this, we were left to sit on the coach for an additional hour whilst we waited for fellow travellers to come through. I would strongly advise you to avoid the Thomsons cattle truck and get a taxi at a cost of just 200 Dirhams.

Location ~
Hotel is situated in a quite remote area. There is a supermarket approximately 15 Mins walk away and aslo a petrol station but little else.

Reception ~
We were greeted in Reception with a cocktail
Check in was fast and efficient. Advise you to take your own bags to rooms as there doesn't appear to be a recognised bell boy system and witnessed bags sitting in sun for several hours. We found Reception staff to be excellent. One time we asked for an iron and they did not have any left. 1 hour later, they had been out and purchased one for us. You can change currency at Reception and there is also a cash machine. Small shop (no British papers though).

Bedrooms ~
Well appointed with twin beds. Fridge (stocked with water). Free safe deposit. View of gardens. Some rooms had view of Atlas Mountains. Room was kept very clean. Different towel designs each day.

Hotel ~
Beautiful gardens and kept spotlessly clean throughout. Staff are all very pleasant and helpful and whilst tips are gratefully appreciated, there is no pressure to tip staff like Egypt. Grounds are beautifully kept and take 30 minutes to walk round perimeter. Beautiful views. Great sunrise views.

Food/drink ~
Food is available from 07.00 to 24.00.

Breakfast ~ 10 different teas, 5 different coffees, 5 different juices, hot chocolate, 5 different hams, scrambled eggs (5 types), boiled eggs (soft/medium/hard),3 different toasted sandwiches, 12 different omelettes, 10 different breads, 15 different croissants, 10 different fruits, 5 different juices, bacon, chicken sausage, beef sausage,10 different cereals, pancakes, beans, 5 different yogurts etc etc.

Lunch/dinner ~
2 different soups.
10 different meats including steak, duck, lamb, veal, ham, chicken curries etc etc.
5 different fish dishes including tuna etc.
5 different potato dishes including chips. baked potatoes, wedges and boiled etc.
5 different veg dishes including carrots, peas, spinach and broccoli etc.
15 different puddings including chocolate fountain.
A la carte restaurants were tried on 2 occasions. Moroccan was just ok as we had 2nd sitting and it was very dis-organised. 1st sitting appeared to be better as they had Moroccan music etc. Italian was excellent (buffet) though had similar food to main restaurant.

Kitchen staff cooked us special vegetarian dishes.

Relaxed atmosphere in restaurant and you can wear shorts etc.No sign of any rude Russians pushing and shoving was a real bonus.

Drinks are good quality and no restrictions are imposed. No real quese at bars.

Pool ~
Outside pool was cold. Didn't try inside spa pool. Sunbeds wars were not too bad and you could generally get a bed up until about 9.30. Billy Fox was in the pool one day. Really nice guy posing with his fans.

Entertainment ~
We never go on holiday to be entertained as we make our own entertainment. There is a duo who sit out by pool bar and are excellent. Animations team put shows on each evening in Theatre.

Trips ~
There is a free bus service at numerous times of day into Marrakesh. Very easy to use and you can book from Reception.
I would STRONGLY urge you not to be fooled into using Thomsons for trips. We went on several and they were extremely poor value for money and in no way resembled the sales pitch.
Souks and Madinas tour cost around £15. Trust me, it is the same as the free bus from the hotel except you get taken to a Pharmacy where you get locked in for 45 Minutes and forced to buy crank remedies for warts, headaches and snoring (oh and curry powder).
Gardens of Marrakesh tour entails a visit to Marjoram Gardens which are worth an hour but can be done exactly the same if you get a taxi from hotel at a small fraction of cost. The 2nd garden on this tour is a 10 minute walk down a dirt track to see a filthy pool full of rubbish. Finished off with a horse ride on a poorly maintained carriage pulled along by horses which look close to collapsing. DO NOT GO IF YOU LIKE ANIMALS. Please be assured, the gardens at the hotel are much nicer.
Cascades of Ouzoud tour is extremely mis-sold. They tell you its 'a short coach trip away'. It is actually 3 hours each way on the coach. Would not recommend unless you are very fit.

Marrakesh shopping is not for faint hearted although a firm no often suffices. If you do shop, aim to pay 33% of price they originally quote.

Overall, the hotel is extremely good and I would highly recommend. I have no doubt you will have a great time.General Manager is always buzzing around ensuring you are being looked after wheras Thomsons rep is only around to try and sell you something and acts evasive when posed with a problem.
Many of the negatives are caused by Thomsons who treat you as an opportunity to make as much money out of you as possible. This is not the fault of the hotel. Don't forget, the staff are incentivised to sell. Hopefully, in the years to come you will be able to make a claim for mis-sold trips in the same way as PPI!!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
12 Thank liamshelley
Uffington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2014

myself & my partner have just come back from a weeks stay here,I feel i give good honest reviews on hotels but like anything in life what one person likes another may hate so this hotel may have not been for me but with the numerous good reviews most seem to like it!
I choose this hotel due to the attractive price,the good trip advisor reviews & the fact it was branded a 4* platinum .....so here goes

POSITIVES
* good location - close enough to the souks etc but in a cleaner,quieter area
* pretty gardens & clean outside
* free shuttle bus to the square
* only 30 mins from the airport
* large spacious rooms
*large pool

And thats about it for positives!

NEGATIVES

* cockroaches!!! and a lot!
*very basic rooms with 2 single beds pushed together
*no tea/coffee facilities in your room
* empty mini fridge - why have it?
* pool & bathroom towels are hard & at the end of there life
*limited selection of food at buffet esp if your a vegetarian or fussy eater (like myself)
*flys frozen into the ice cubes!!!
* very poor standard of entertainment at night - can't compare but I'm sure butlins would be better!
*the pool like everyone has said is freezing even with temperatures in the high 30's but its a must to use when your sunbathing so just jump in
*foul sewage smell from the bathroom plug hole - enough to make you gag when leaning over the sink to clean your teeth!
*lots of flys in the restaurants/lobby
*poor,poor WIFI,you can only connect in certain areas of the lobby or lobby bar & when everyone else is also trying to connect just give up!

I could go on with the negatives!

TIPS
*if you want to use the free shuttle bus to visit the square at night book well in advance e.g. a few days!
*if theres more than 2 of you & you want sun loungers all together as a group then you need to be up reserving loungers at 6.30am!

We traveled with thompson/first choice & did 2 day trips bought via them,the discover marrakech one & the cascades one.
We were in a ground floor room which we had no disturbence of noise,we did however have no view from our terrace other than a large tree but the view from a room is not a necessity to us as if we wanted an amazing view we would pay for one & choose a country to accommodate this.
myself & my partner both ended up with upset tummys & terrible sickness at the same time - I'm a vegetarian so we never ate the same thing! (figure that one out)
We never ate in the additional 2 restaurants as they are buffet not menu based or table served so didn't see the point & with what these restaurants do serve its usually available in the main buffet every night.
We used the free shuttle bus to the souks but did need to book a few days in advance to get the time we wanted.
Overall i was terribly disappointed with the hotel & i cannot see how it rates as a 4* platinum,i personally would rate it as a 3* platinum & by saying platinum I'm being generous!
I think I've been generous with giving this hotel 3 out of 5 stars as ideally i would give it 2.5 given a chance.
We achieved what we set out for this holiday .. i wanted a suntan & rest & my keen photographer partner got his cultural pictures but i would NOT return here or recommend it I'm sure my positives vs negatives can show you that.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Yeovil, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I went to Marrakech late June early July in 2013 with my boyfriend & i completely fell in love with this hotel.

We booked via Thomson & although i was looking forward to a break away, i was slightly worried as I've always heard such bad things about Marrakech.
When we arrived we were welcomed with the RIU entertainment team & a some cocktails which was lovely, the hotels bell boys took our suitcases to our room, while we went straight to the restaurant, we arrived at 10pm, so it was lovely that we could eat & relax.
We got to our room around 10.30, the blocks are only 1 story tall, which i really loved.
The inside of the rooms were lovely, very big & lovely and cold, the beds were comfy & the television had english channels, which was a lovely surprise.
The only little bad point, the balcony view we had wasn't that great, just palm trees, but this didn't really effect our holiday. The bathroom is amazing, a massive marble bath and huge mirror.

They hold a meeting on the first day, to tell you all about the excursions and about the hotel, i cannot praise the RIU entertainment team enough, the really did make the holiday.
We decided to go quad biking, camel riding & Marrakech by night, all were lots of fun & i would recommend them, they were both fairly priced.

Quad Biking: Lots of fun,i would recommend taking some sunglasses as some dust does get past the goggles & light clothing.
Camel Riding: I loved this, you should wear long trousers to avoid rubbing & some water.
Marrakech by night: A lovely horse ride around Marrakech and a walk around the market, i did the evening slot, it was amazing! Bring a camera, theres lots to see, well worth it to see the real Marrakech, BUT after my own stupidity, i decided to get 'Henna' on my arm, it was black and was itchy, when i got back to the hotel i tried to wash it off, i spoke with reception & was told it was actually hair dye (a cheaper alternative to Henna) the receptionist was very helpful, i went to a local doctor to get some cream so it wouldn't scar, i had a bandage on for my last day & it didn't scar, so DO NOT GET A HENNA.

The hotel is spectacular, its a massive hotel & the grounds are beautiful with flowers and lovely gardens, the indoor pool is lovely & usually empty, the gym (although i never used) from what my boyfriend said was really good, with air conditioning. The pool is without a doubt the best pool I've been to, its huge! There is a good spacing between sun beds & only two rows, along the back there are double sun beds with canopies, perfect for families! We got the same spot most days, like most hotels you will have to get up & put your towels down, i always did ours before breakfast around 8am, we made lots of friends who sometimes put our towels down if we wanted a little sleep in.

The activities the RIU entertainment team provide are lots of fun! My personal favourite was the water polo & volleyball, they make every effort to get you involved and very welcoming, my boyfriend did most activities most days and always had such good thing to say.

The night activities are great, although its the same RIU team all night & day and i sometimes thought they must be exhausted although they never showed it! The stage room is big & always enough seats for everyone. The bar has all different cocktails, although i did miss some Malibu! But enough variety.

The food is nice, i always enjoyed my meals, although i did get a little fed up of the same sorts of food, there is lots to choose from though, having a waiter show you to your table & a candle at the table, all little touches which was lovely.

Overall i had the best time in Marrakech & its my favourite holiday so far, the hotel is just stunning & the RIU team really do work so hard to give you the best holiday! I did miss leaving the hotel in the evening, for a walk to the shop etc, but the hotel has so much to do you didn't have to leave!
I would highly recommend this holiday for couples & older families.

Its Brilliant!

Room Tip: Higher floors, you might be lucky enough to get a beautiful pool view.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Demmileigh29
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I stayed here from 16th to 24th April with my wife and 2 kids (ages 4 & 6).
I never had to queue for food or drinks. The pool is amazing. Try to get a room on ground floor facing the pool. The staff are very polite and helpfull. Plenty to do with tennie, boules, table tennis, dance classes, water polo, bingo, childrens creche and so on. There is a resident animation team that entertain tastfully throughout the day. Take advantage of the free coach into the square. Will love to go back one day.

Room Tip: Book a ground floor room near the pool.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family