“Very good value for money.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of ClubHotel Riu Tikida Palmeraie

ClubHotel Riu Tikida Palmeraie
Ranked #101 of 508 Hotels in Marrakech
Norwich
“Very good value for money.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

Stayed for 9 nights from 25th May. The all inclusive food was extremely good. It was varied for breakfast, lunch & dinner. They are served bacon occasionally for breakfast but there was such a varied choice it didn't matter. My 6 year daughter never had a problem finding something tasty to eat. She did mainly live on pizza, chips, pasta & ice cream though! The Moroccan restaurant was excellent and we booked in twice. The Italian restaurant was ok and a change from the main buffet restaurant.

The drinks flowed well and service always quick. My daughter mainly drank strawberry milkshakes and myself on delicious cocktails.

The rooms were always clean. We had a suite which was very large and had an additional walk in shower and 2 terraces. A little dated but still nice.

All the communal areas were maintained beautifully and the toilets were always very clean. The gym was basic but fine. The only criticism was the floor was very slippery and rather dangerous.

I would definitely recommend it for families. Very safe. My daughter enjoyed the kids club and the bingo!

We are hoping to book for next year.

• Stayed May 2014
3 Thank Anna D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,260)
  • Turkish first
ayr
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

When we first arrived at night the check in was smooth and the bell boys brought our bags to our room 2102.
The room was spotless and very big, it has 2 single beds and a sitting area as well as a very large balcony.
I have stayed at different Riu in the past and this was the worst food, it wasn't terrible just a bit dry and bland. The desserts made up for that tho they were magnificent.
The pool area got very busy after 9 so you needed to be there before that to get a lounger, we used the shuttle bus to get into the square which was good. Overall a good hotel the only thing letting it down was the food but it is still very good value for money.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank jvesta
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

This was my first stay at Riu Tikida Palmeraie and I had an almost faultless holiday. The hotel is outside of central Marrakech but this should not put you off at all as it is only a fifteen-twenty minute drive from the old town and Jamaa el Fna market square. The hotel offers a regular free shuttle service and there are cabs lined up outside 24/7 so you can travel in and out of central Marrakech with ease. This hotel does not advertise itself as a traditional Moroccan riad OR a central place to stay, so cannot be justly criticised for this!

Rooms:

We had a room in the farthest block from the pool but the walk was only about 4-5 minutes and perfectly reasonable. Our room was on the ground floor and we slept peacefully for the duration of our stay. We never wanted for bottled water or clean towels and the room was cleaned daily to an exceptional standard.

Pool:

The pool is ENORMOUS and the area surrounding it was always clean and tidy. I'm surprised that some reviewers on here are saying it's too cold to swim in -- It is definitely not too cold and really refreshing in 33 degree heat! Although this is a large hotel I never felt stressed by noise and activities. There were daily activities including water aerobics and darts but these did not interrupt my reading/sleeping, and I did a lot of reading and sleeping throughout the week! The sun bed situation was a bit problematic, and this is the only criticism I have, although it is not really the hotels fault. A couple of mornings we went to breakfast at around 10.00 am and by this time there were zero beds available. We were happy to read in the shade of the restaurant terrace for a while but I did see pool attendants helping people to locate beds, so it's definitely worth asking them if you are struggling to find a bed. You don't need to get up at the crack of dawn to get beds, but I would say 8 am would be the perfect time.

Food & Drink:

I was pleasantly surprised by the food all week and found there was a great variety of salads, fish and meat. The salads especially were delicious and although it sounds like a cliche there was literally something for everyone each night. All of the fruit and salads are washed in bottled water so there is no need to worry about getting sick. The ice in the drinks is also made from bottled water so don't hold back! We ate in both the Moroccan and the Italian restaurants and I would highly recommend the Moroccan. The setting is lovely and the food was incredible. The Italian was good but no surprises and nothing new! We sampled a lot of different drinks during the week and found them all to be absolutely fine. The beer, although it came from cans for the first part of the week, was very cold and tasted very nice! The cocktails were delicious and the coffees and fruit juices from the pool bars were great. The coffee from the pool bar was better than the breakfast coffee and by the end of the break me and my boyfriend were partial to an 'optimist' cocktail, as well as the mojitos!

Spa:

The spa was without doubt one of the highlights of the holiday. We had relaxation massages and hammams and both were heavenly. If you only have one treatment then have a hammam! It's great for your skin and you leave feeling revitalised and refreshed. Near the end of the holiday I was feeling a little sunned out so went for a morning swim in the indoor pool. I was the ONLY person in there and it was incredibly peaceful - I would definitely recommend!

A couple of additional things:

- No the entertainment is not on the same level as broadway, but the animation team put limitless energy into all of their shows and activities and personally I think that most of their shows had a tacky brilliance.
- All of the staff are incredibly friendly, approachable and helpful. They go out of their way to make your stay comfortable and enjoyable and this creates a positive and relaxed atmosphere - exactly what you want when you're on holiday!
- Make sure you visit the sights and souks of Marrakech - The souks are unbelievable and almost magical. I felt completely safe even when we were lost and bought some beautiful silver earrings and bangles. We ate dinner ate one of the pop up restaurants in Jamaa el Fna and it was delicious.
- As a treat for my boyfriend we arranged to go quad biking through the desert (this is one of the Thomson experiences). I was sceptical at first but it was fantastic and a total thrill! Two hours of quad biking took us all over the desert with our guide and we stopped off for mint tea half way. It was very freeing and definitely worth a go if you fancy a bit of adventure, just make sure you wear clothes that you don't mind getting dusty!

Room Tip: All of the rooms are lovely and incredibly clean, however the ground floor pool view rooms looked es...
8 Thank Amy D
northants
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

Having tried a Riu hotel in mexico last year ( the Tequila in playa del Carmen ) and been very impressed we were somewhat a little disappointed with the RIU Tikida Palmeraie.
Firstly the thomsons info says selected imported drinks, well if you like martini then this is correct but there are no others, its all local. The draught beer pumps were not being used in any of the bars and there was only one choice of canned beer which was being kept in large plastic containers covered in a little ice. This is not acceptable for a Riu hotel !
Secondly, the evening entertainment is a joke apart from the occasional duo playing at the pool bar area.
Third, as a pensioner I had to request a change of room as ours was a long way from reception/restaurant, up 2 flights of stairs then all the way at the back of the block. I will say, however, that the reception staff are excellent and sorted this so we moved next morning to a ground floor room. Any problems,such as in our case, the fridge not working and one day no bath towels left in the room, were again sorted very quickly.
fourth, you have to get up very early, 7 am , if you want a decent bed around the football pitch sized pool, even heard that the pool attendants were being paid to put towels on beds for some guests.
We did have a very good holiday and would recommend anyone who has not been to morocco, especially Marrakech, to visit and see the medina and souk etc, provided you are not put off by the insane driving there !

Room Tip: block 4 ground floor
2 Thank geoffdonna
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

I have just come back from the most amazing 7 day holiday in Morocco. The hotel was amazing. The food was amazing and OMG the spa!!!! If you need a 7 day break, on the same timezone as the UK, only 3.5 hours flight and....guaranteed weather - please consider Morocco. The people were friendly, funny and very attentive / caring. Also this holiday was incredible value for money. Simply just go! It is also brilliant for couples, children, elderly...basically everyone!

3 Thank Clayton A
berkshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

Typical Riu
hotel in that rooms, food, cleanliness, service and grounds good.
It was fine for us as we were only staying for 3nights to see Marrakech.....but Morocco it isn't. The hotel is situated in the middle of nowhere, no where to walk to so you could feel a little marooned.
Pool and grounds immaculate but pool area, as usual, gets crowded.
Rooms clean and large. Ours on arrival, at midnight, was cold, felt damp and was so dark with brown furnishings. A pet hate of mine is blankets on the bed so that did not help my first impression.
Staff were friendly.
Food was plentiful and as varied as can be due to the numbers of guests.
The main dining room was large, noisy, dark and like a school canteen.
We ate in the Italian restaurant both nights just so we could have a quieter atmosphere.
The tours by Thomson were good ...to the Atlas Mountains and the medina and Souks.
A good base if you are happy with a Spanish Costa hotel but do not go if you want a Moroccan experience.
Some people seem to go every year and stay for a fortnight, I cannot understand why.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank idleone
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

I have visited this hotel twice, two years ago this month and last may, I am returning in September this year and can't wait! It is lovely in all respects, great food and drink and staff to match. The rooms are a good size and the resort itself has enough on it if you didn't want to venture anywhere. It's the perfect place to relax, I cannot recommend this hotel anymore. Go and try it for yourself and you ll love it!!

If you are wanting to venture out the square is worth a visit, the experience itself is enough. You can buy some good bargains, especially the Argan oil for your hair and skin ladies! We ate at pepe Nero, fabulous for a meal and drinks. Very reasonable but good to book before you go as popular.

Nikki beach is a beach club not too far away in the palmeraie and great for a day of fun and drinks in a luxury setting , by the pool. There is also a restaurant there, lonely for a special occasion like an anniversary or birthday treat.

Overall I love Marrakech and I'm sure you will too. Enjoy!!

Room Tip: I like the rooms overlooking the tennis courts and an upper floor!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family