ClubHotel Riu Tikida Palmeraie
Ranked #108 of 499 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

Just back from our family holiday which was very nice. The hotel staff are fabulous and the food is good.

We liked the bus service and driver who was very helpful. This was a great base for us and we would definitely recommend the hotel.

We would echo many of the positive comments that have been made. However some of the comments are so fantastic in some ways we ended up being disappointed with our room. Not that there was a problem! It was large and clean but in our view needed a little tender loving care. Tiles were cracked in both rooms and our air conditioning knob broken. Also the sofa was very stained. Small things we know but given the gushing reviews expectations were very high. Basically we felt the rooms need a little attention. They were adequate but not the best we have stayed in. So manage your expectations if you travel a lot and stay at lots of nice hotels. But please don't be put off by this comment! Just trying to be helpful!

The spa was lovely and so was the massage. The gardens were beautiful too. Typical situation with sunbeds as every where else you go. People putting towels down at daybreak. But that's the herd mentality I guess. We always found a bed even if we had to do a bit of furniture rearranging.

So well worth the money a nice hotel with good services food and excellent staff. Enjoy your holiday:)

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank JuAnontour
Write a ReviewReviews (5,870)

Reviewed 5 July 2014

I thought RIU Hotels had a great reputation.....I have to admit... I was wrong.

Hotel is set out of the way of any hustle and bustle so nice and quiet... That till the children turn up and use main pool and not children's pool...we went in term time so only a few kids there but what an impact..

Hotel staff are really friendly and can't do enough for you.. Happy to change bed as all holiday beds give you bad back...

Hunt you down a sun lounger as they have normally gone by 6am... But your told to get up early so you don't miss out... Thought holidays were to relax.. Not to fight for a bed...

What ever you do don't mention your hot... The staff will tell you.. Should have gone somewhere else then...(Alaska)....really!!!!!

Gardens are nice and tidy, we'll kept... However watch out for the biggest cockroaches you will ever see everywhere....yes... Lounge... On the sofas, cushions , curtains, in the lobby, bars any indoor seating area... YES...Including the restaurants...if you complain to the waiters they make a joke about the size as if it's ok and your making a fuss... The hotel staff just walk past them as if they weren't there.....

Then you have your endorsed trips by the holiday reps.... We wanted to go to the souks ( markets) we were up for a bit of bartering.. But we booked the excursion by 4x4 to the Atlas Mountains ....
8 hours on and off in a 4x4 in 35 degree heat , no air con at all, we had a guide to take us Round the planned day, but had also pre arranged to stop off at un designated points, ( pottery, jewellery, makers) with an expectation for you to buy items..(the start of the harassment) you are hassled to buy items.. You then go further up the mountain to stop and look at the views, where yet again a seller comes out from no where.. and is when it gets aggressive with his selling technique would not listen, I said no at least 10 times or more no!! to then having to call my husband over to get him away. But did not work, I shut myself in the 4x4 to get away but he opened the door... The guide did not help at all.... Was this not what we were paying him for to look After us...This put me right off I was too scarred to go out of the hotel after that... Until leaving to go home.

Again... Thompson endorse these trips....

Food... Not a great variety, although cooked well.

Security guards are really helpful not sure how they passed screening process, my husband asked for directions, and the reply was how much drugs do you want...? It makes you wonder even with a language barrier.

Air port..... Plan to spend. Long time there at the beginning and end of your holiday... No organisation what so ever. Be aware you have to pay an attendant for use of the loo and toilet paper on the way in the loo Take your own.. And that's every where..

I'm sure there are great places yo see but.... .? Your choice I say not again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Michelle B
Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

We have just returned from a 2 week stay at this beautiful Riu hotel.
What I can say is this:

Grounds - the hotel grounds are fantastic and extremely clean, having fish, ducks and turtles in them and the sounds of the frog chorus in the evening are something I've never heard before

Food: I thought there was a large variety for all meals, including the Italian and moroccan themed restaurants which were easy to book and so went in both twice. Yes the Italian wasn't anything special but nice all the same but the moroccan was very good and nice to be in a more intimate environment

Rooms: the rooms are dark, with not much light but spacious. I think they could do with bigger tv's as when lying in bed, the screen was hard to see and when I did try the air conditioning and fan, they both didn't really do anything. Our room was also extremely clean and nice to have a seperate toilet to the main bathroom but often when running the water in the sink it did have a bad smell

Swimming pool: this is a huge pool with lots of sunbeds round it. After our first day we realised we had to be up early to get one where we wanted and in terms of the more comfy mattress type ones with wee round, had to get up around 6am - 6.30am and some people were saying they got up around 5am!

Drinks:
Good choice of spirits and a few cocktails but these were usually in a mix already made up. The best bar for cocktails would be the main bar inside but the outside ones were already mixed and just tasted like a fruit drink. One tip is, we usually tip people at the end of the holiday and do on doing this on our last night, got a different level of service ie if you tip, you get drinks brought to you, when the bar staff can and they make them very strong also. I would suggest maybe giving a tip early on and seeing how this goes.

Staff: the staff are extremely friendly and despite it being the start of Ramadan in our second week, staff still worked hard even though they had not eaten or drank, despite being more tired.

Excursions:
We did the 4x4 Atlas Mountains, the cascades of ouzoud, the history of Marrakech and quad biking. Quad biking was the most fun but beware you do get very dirty. The cascades are beautiful to see after about a 2hr coach drive and the history tour has a guide who is very informative. The atlas mountain trip is good for visiting a traditional Berber house and beautiful scenery also.

I have to say that the holiday was lovely but temperature did reach 39 degrees at it's hottest, which just lying in is very hard to do! I would recommend the hotel as a 4 star and is a good price and did all that we wanted to do whilst there.

One last thing, be ready for passport control going into morocco at the airport, it took around an hour but can take longer.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 July 2014

We arrived late at night. Our luggage was left in the foyer and we were welcomed with a soft drink and offered the opportunity to have a meal in the Restaurant. After checking in we were directed to our room which was about 800 yards from the main building. Luggage was transported by buggy, and we never asked but we could also have had a lift to.
The room was large, not a lot of electric light, but our balcony was private.
Fridge, Hairdryer, Safe, the usual essentials.
We had no problem obtaining sunbeds at any time of the day, but one morning I was up at six and went to the Reception to download my copy of my newspaper to the Kindle. As I passed the pool there were about thirty people placing towels of strategically located beds. There's an attendant on duty between 0800 and 1800 and he is good and will find you a bed. If someone hasn't used a bed in two hours, he will take the towels off and keep them safe until the owner comes back for them, although he's only rarely had to do that.
The Entertainment Team are really good sports and cater for everyone, including those physically inactive like me!.
Where this hotel excels is the staff in the Restaurants. A vista of different foods in the main self-service supported by attentive waiters willing to help out. There's an Italian Restaurant, but we loved the Moroccan Restaurant.
There's an abundance of wildlife in the hotel. It's an oasis don't forget. Loads of frogs at night, lots of birds. When I told the staff that a person had written on Trip Advisor that there were rats here they were shocked. Cleanliness at the hotel was constant. A small army of cleaners repeatedly washing floors and tidying. Room service is daily.
Our aircon was too efficient. The previous occupant had it set on five degrees, and I had to turn it up to 20 degrees in order to keep from being too cold.
I'm definitely ticking the box for a repeat visit, and whilst I was there, I spoke to many other visitors who had already come back.
Can't imagine some of the other contributors actually staying at this hotel. Are they sure they have the tight Riu hotel as there are two in Marrakech?
Anyway, we loved it, and we say thankyou to the staff there.

Room Tip: Pool side rooms are in the centre of the facilities and there's less walking to the restaurants...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Brommers
Reviewed 4 July 2014

The airport is awful!!! 2 hour queue for passport control with no air con is not a good way to start the holiday. Locals also push their way to the front causing chaos.
The staff at the passport control are slow and get up and leave or take phone calls as and when the choose too.

The hotel is nice and staff friendly enough. The wifi is not good, if you get there early enough you have a better chance of it working but come meal times due to the high demand it's poor at best.

The pool is a great size, a little chilly first thing as it's not heated but it heats up throughout the day. The thing that spoils the pool area is the sun bed issue, people get up before 6am to reserve their beds! If like us you turn up at the pool at 10 am you are unlikely to get a bed at all.
Some of the sun loungers are broken but they are still put out for people to use.

The food is very repetitive, I found after day 3 I had lost my appetite due to the lack of choice, same food for lunch and dinner....yawn.

We didn't see any of the entertainment as they always started so late (around 10pm) the also set the room up like a school hall, not a great atmosphere for socialising with other people.

Thompson Staff on site are ok but not great. We had an excursion planned and were told to get the coach at 20.20, the same trip others were told 20.00, some 20.10 others 20.40. The bus actually turned up at 2100.
I also needed a chemist the first day we arrived, I asked the rep where to go and she told me to walk to the shop about 15 mins away from the hotel, which we did and got what we needed.
However when we came back we found that the on site shop sold what we needed (higher price) so we didn't need to go to the other shop at all.

All in all the holiday was ok it I wouldn't go back.

Room Tip: Get a 1st floor room unless you are happy with frogs and other creatures being in your room night.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tw1nk1e
Reviewed 3 July 2014

this was a first for me and will not be my last ! was the nicest of the RIU chain ive ever stayed in ,
the staff the food and the place were all outstanding ,can not understand people not going into Marrakech just use your heads ? And as for people saying the food was repetitive just dot eat chips everyday ... I ate something different everyday , the entertainment was the only downside for me ,during a day was non in your face and they left you too it , but on a night it was ghastly , why they needed to do a Chinese show with no point or dress as jews to play darts is just pointless ? every single member of staff we came across made us smile friendly and warm and very helpful , and rachid our rep helped us organise a birthday meal we will not forget ,stay here for sure its so nice if u want to relax in luxury with the sun.... do it .... take an alarm though as sunbeds go by 9! **** TOP TIP ask for pool view or block 4 or 5 *****

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Nickilshious
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I don't know how this hotel gets rated so highly.

The rooms are big but very dark unless you have the curtains open which leaves you with no privacy, the aircon and fan might as well be non existent as they don't really do to much, the room fridge is a waste of time it don't work.

The pool area is the best thing about the hotel, it really is nice, I'm a early bird so it didm't bother me getting up to reserve a subbed at 5am because I'm already up at that time.

The food was some of the worst food I have eat ever, when people say there is something for everyone they are correct if you want to eat pizza and chips for two meals a day for 7 days, it was hard to put a meal together, the fish just said fish fillet, what fish was it??? I had a bit of roast beef one night and how they called it roast I will never know, it was raw and cold in the middle, IK have my stake rare so it don't normally bother me but this would make you ill!
The Italian restaurant we walked in sat down, looked at the food and then walked out, it was the same stuff as in the main restaurant, the Moroccan restaurant had different food but again the food was coming up raw!!!

The staff was very pleasant and done everything asked of them.

The hotel coach what takes you to the square and the souks is a nice touch as looking at the cabs outside the hotel you would have to be mad to get in them. The souks was good fun but it was the filthiest place I have ever been in my life and the smell is disgusting!

After 5 days into a 8 day holiday I was more the willing to pay £250 to book a easyjet flight and get home, I've never done this on another holiday and couldn't wait to get back!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple