“Fantastic Marrakech”

Ranked #104 of 496 Hotels in Marrakech
ChesterUK
“Fantastic Marrakech”
Reviewed 29 August 2010

I was a little aprehensive about going to Marrakech, I need not have been concerned the hotel is fantastic. The warm greeting we had on arrival at this stunning hotel set the scene for a wonderful holiday.
The Hotel is managed very well, it is spotlessly clean. The management team are seen at all times of the day and night supervising the staff.

I really enjoyed the food and I am quite q fussy eater we particularly enjoyed the Morroccan speciallity restaurant the tagines were exquisite. The food was always hot and there were different themed nights in the main restaurant.

The entertainment team are great they work so hard to keep us entertained, the evening shows were some of the best i have seen in an all inclusive. The manager and his deputy also take part here in a show dedicated to Frank Sinatra and the rat pack era very enjoyable.

Sunbathing is a treat around the huge lagoon pool, the large mattress beds are soon reserved but there are always plenty of sun loungers and parasols to go around, just ask one of the pool attendants and they rush around to find you everything you need.
Beware of the sun it is very strong i took factor 15 and 20 and still burned, but i am fair skinned. We were there in May and had temperatures of 45 degrees for 4 days we also had two days of rain lasting until mid afternoon, this gave us the ideal opportunity to go into town.

There is a free shuttle bus into Marrakech, there are also Taxis outside the main enterance (haggle for the price), there is a day and night rate, the driver will not ask for money up front he will arrange where to pick you up and the time. Our driver couldn't park where he was to pick us up so he parked up and came to get us.
If you want to see the Yves St Laurent Gardens I would suggest you go in by Taxi we went on the arranged trip and felt we didn't have enough time there. It is a little piece of paradise within the madness of Marracech. There is a lovely little cafe in there I would love to go back and sit in there again.

The Souks are amazing but watch out for the motor scooters they appear out of nowhere at breakneck speeds through the little alleys. We went to the Berber Pharmacy and bought lovely spices and oils, it is well worth a visit they have creams amd potions for every condition you can imagine. Out the back door of there is the workshop where they dye all the beautiful scarves and wraps in natural dyes, it's a wonderful sight as they all blow in the breeze on a miriad of lines.
We went into the old souk and saw the sheep, goat and camel heads hanging outside the butchers, and witnessed the old ladies feeling the intestines which were also hanging up outside,apparently this tells the lady how well the animal was before slaughtered. It's a different world can you imagine doing that in your local supermarket ?

Marrakech at night is a must, the square becomes a bustling mass of life and colours. The restaurants are all set up and all you can see as you arrive are a miriad of lights and smoke. It is amazing there are stalls piled high with bright oranges waiting to be squeezed for you. The spice stalls dazzle with all the different varieties on show. The henna ladies try to entice you to have your hand, face foot anything at all painted. The holy men rant, the chicken man dances. It is just wonderful and then it is time to go back and the luxury of the hotel awaits you.

The rep will tell you that the airport is terrible on the way back ans that it will take hours for you to get through, we were through in 15 mins we must have hit a good day.
I would not hesitate to go back to this hotel and have recommended it to my friends, one of them as booked to go in 2011.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank TinamcChesterUK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,281)
  • Turkish first
Hoylake, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 August 2010

There must be some people in this world - and on this website - who are never satisfied!
We first visited Marrakech in March/April with our two 'children', aged 18 & 20. My husband 'ajgx4' reviewed the holiday - we had a great time. Our 18-yr old daughter was going on a school trip to China in July, so we decided that we would go away for a week whilst she was away to avoid the 'house gets wrecked while you're away' scenario. Our now 21-yr old son is far too sensible for that - he doesn't drink - not too sure where he gets that from!
In the meantime, we had recommended Riu Tikida Palmeraie to my husband's brother, who spent 2 weeks there at the beginning of August with his family & had a brilliant time. They flew out on our return flight, so we waved at them at the airport!
We had a fantastic time (room 5110) - everything that my husband had said at Easter could be reiterated - spotlessly clean rooms and communal areas, everything cleaned daily. Staff who could not do enough for you and food and drink aplenty. Couldn't agree more with 'blueromannewcastle', a recent reviewer, as our son is a fussy eater and always found plenty to eat, although a lack of bacon was also his issue!! :-/
I fail to understand what some people have to complain about - I think they're the sort of people who complain about hospital food!! When I had the kids - I spent nearly a week in hospital after our son's birth, and thought the food was fab!!
Anyway, I'm a 'spend a week by the pool reading a book & getting a tan' sort of person, and my husband likes to do things and visit interesting sights, so it's always a compromise. He had already told me I had to visit the souks this time - he went with our daughter last time - but I have to say I hated every minute of it! I am the most unmaterialistic person you could meet, and shopping is done as a necessity, so you can imagine haggling is not my thing! I also found the constant 'hello - English? come & look at my shop' or words to that effect, was a bit intimidating, so we managed to spend an hour there before going back to the sanctuary of the hotel!
My husband enjoyed another quad bike experience one morning, returning looking like he'd spent a few hours rolling around in dirt - but he enjoyed it! He also enjoyed the 'petanque' - French boules - every morning, and the aquarobics, and the water polo, led by the entertainment team. For the French boules, he'd teamed up with a Liverpudlian & a Scotsman, and played a French team most mornings, managing to beat them on one occasion, much to their delight!
I would argue with 'GlennSimo' regarding the alcohol - we went to an all-inclusive in Zante last year, and the drinks were definitely below par, but at Riu, whether they were 'international brands' or not, they definitely had the strength of international brands!! Say no more!
The 'wasps' - they looked more like bees to me - were only after the sugary drinks. If you ignored them, they were no bother. My advice would be to only drink water, wine or spirit based drinks with no very sugary mixers (eg. fruit juices) whilst be the pool. Difficult I know if you're with young children, but we had no trouble with wine or g&t!!
The temperature was somewhat hot compared to Easter, but with a parasol and a few dips in the pool this was bearable. Again as others have said already, beds and a parasol were available from the pool attendants at anytime during the morning.
Having spent a further week at Riu Tikida Palmeraie and with a further 4 and a half weeks summer holiday stretching ahead of me (I'm a teacher, but don't count it against me, cos I teach Maths and have spent a week in school working this holiday! + we pay loads more for holidays than most people!!) I was itching to go back!!
Now I'm going for the sympathy vote - whilst I was in Marrakech the 2nd time, my Mum, who has been diagnosed with Alzheimers for 4 years, had a heart attack, and ended up going into full-time care - all in the space of a week! I felt quite helpless as my sister (who has looked after Mum for 6 days a wk for 3 years - I looked after her on a Saturday) visited her in hospital & found a care home - I felt so guilty not being there. She has settled in really well now - the staff are lovely, and she thinks she's in a hotel!
Anyway - now I had the opportunity to go on holiday again! So, on 2nd August, 3 days after returning from a week at Riu Tikida Palmeraie, I had no problem booking a weekend away for myself & the 2 'children' for 20th-23rd August!
Again, no complaints at all - air conditioning left on all day (maybe the previous poster had left the patio door open - air conditioning switches itself off if you do this!), spotlessly clean everywhere. Room 3017. My priority this time was to top up the tan, so it was up early for a sunbed, food & drink during the day & bed early! My daughter had been dragged in for the 'Miss Riu Tikida' competition in March, so she was quite happy to go to bed early!
We secured one of the 'bigger beds' on all 3 days - I was very sad & got up at 6am on our last day - this was mainly due to an excess of alcohol the day before - I was well asleep by 9.45pm! The only other people up at 6am where cleaning the pool and watering the gardens, so if you're an early riser, go for it! My daughter, who has just done her A levels, was only interested in topping up her tan before going to Leeds Festival! And the son, who actually doesn't like the heat, managed themorning by the pool in the shade (still got a tan after 3 days!) and spent the afternoon in the lobby on the free wi-fi internet on his phone!
All in all, I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel, unless you are some sort of a precious celebrity and demand only the best individual attention, although I would argue you get it here!
I was quite amused at the work going on at the corner of the lunchtime/Italian restaurant, which had sprung up since our visit in July. A big crack had appeared and the corner of the restaurant involved was cordoned off. You just can't get the workman these days can you?!
Anyway, a minor detail in what is otherwise an outstanding sanctuary for sunlovers like me! One of the barmen on our last day asked me if it was my first time, and when I said no, 3rd, he said 'I thought I recognised you!'
Remember what extra it costs to eat (& drink!!) out every night when you don't go all inclusive, and you'll soon work out that this is excellent value for money.
I am seriously considering going back in October half-term - 4th time in a year! Go for it - it is well worth the money!
If you take my advice, I hope you have a fantastic time - at the end of the day holidays are 'horses for courses' and we all appreciate different things, but if you're like me and just enjoy chillin' by the pool, you can't go wrong with Riu Tikida Palmeraie, Marrakech. Enjoy!!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
5 Thank MandyG62
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2010

This is a lovely, four star hotel. The decor is modern but with moroccan twists, its clean and the staff are very helpful.
The welcome meeting was very good, it was useful and the head staff make an appearance which I thought was great!
The rooms were cleaned daily to a good standard (they love to make animals with the towels and put rose petals on the bed!).
The pool is huge, and never crowded. You have to get up early to get a 'bed' sun lounger, but there were plenty standard ones available. We struggled to get an umbrella a couple of times if we arrived after lunch, but the pool attendants found us one quickly so have no complaints.
There were plenty of activities to do during the day, but no pressure to attend. This included darts comp, table tennis comp, water aerobics, water polo and football. The employees organising the activities were very enthusiastic!
The food was very good. Lots of choice, and the desserts were amazing!! its worth going to the moroccan restaurant, we loved it. The drinks were local, but nice and a lot of choice from cocktails, beer, wine, spirits and non alcoholic.
However, I must stress that the hotel is a lot larger than its described in the Thompson brochure, and in peak holiday season there were a lot of people. It never caused us problems, but it did lose a bit of the 'exclusiveness'. I am also not entirely agreeable with the comments of 'luxury' although 'affordable'. I have no complaints and had a brilliant holiday, the hotel is lovely, but I wouldn't say it was 'luxury'.
We didn't go on any of the Thompson tours, but we explored Marrakech by ourselves. Being young and blonde, I was a bit worried but I had no problems at all. The people were friendly, and always helped us when we got a bit lost finding the tourist attractions!
We loved wandering around the streets, and we felt we got a lot more out of the visit.
I would definitely recommend a visit to the Majorelle gardens, it was amazing!!!!

In a nutshell, if you are looking for luxury I would probably look elsewhere. If you would like a very good, clean, friendly, 4 star hotel then definitely go here, we had a great time and I would recommend this hotel to anybody.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
england
Reviewed 26 August 2010

just wanted to let you all know about our fantastic stay at this hotel. i would definitely go back it was perfect spacious and the staff couldn't do enough for you. the rooms were fantastic the beds a little hard for me but the rest of my family loved it. they were very simple in design but very well thought out and well decorated. the restaurants and food was fantastic, the main was very good and the Moroccan the best out of the two we felt. now the sun beds were fab we are early risers and were at the pool at 8ish and got one of the comfy sun bed which was heaven plenty of sun beds to go around though. the pool was great a bit slippy but if you are steady on your feet fine to get in. i found that the culture was very nice and very respectful i was a little worried about going to morocco with what i had heard about places like turkey but with 3 women traveling alone we never felt threaten or disrespected, all the men kept there distance and were very polite and everyone was very nice everywhere we went. if you are thinking of going here i would say go enjoy and have a great time you will love it.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank honeymooner9999
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 August 2010

Sorry for the late write up as I went in july for one week with my boyfriend, but i felt i must write a review after reading all the negative comments from some people about the hotel.

We had a fantastic holiday, the food was always very good, I am more picky than my boyfriend and i was never short of anything to eat. The Moroccan restaurant was lovely and we went twice but did not rate the Italian so only ate there once. The entertainment is terrible and we had a real good laugh on the one occasion we watched it but didn't go back. But we really didn't mind as were on holiday and theres plenty to do.

The rooms were large and very nice, ours was at the furthest point from reception but that was fine I enjoyed the walk. Marrakesh centre is great, you must go! we went twice and got some great bargains! As others have mentioned the shuttle bus is very good, on both occasions w got the 7pm bus down and a taxi back which was fine.

The staff, pool area, food and room was fab. If you have booked a holiday then you will not be disappointed! I would def go back again but only for 1 week. My boyfriend and I have been to many resorts and have always upgraded our rooms however at this hotel we did not and im glad because we didn't need to as it was lovely. All the people who have written negative reviews really need to get a life and stop moaning!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 187069Sally
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 August 2010

I think the brochure has this spot on as a 4 star hotel. If people want a 5 star hotel they should pay 5 star prices.

On arrival you are given a cocktail welcome and the choice of check-in or having a meal to avoid the crowd. The following day there is a welcome meeting and Elliot the rep is superb. He even tells you how much to pay for things in the souks and how much to pay taxis etc. That evening there is a champagne party with the hotel management.

The decor of the hotel is gorgeous and must be appreciated with chandiliers and morrocan patterns. The rooms are spacious and there is everything you need in it although we spent very little time here as there was so much to do during the day.

The night was quieter there is quiet lounge, the pool bar or the entertainment bar. Please give the entertainment the chance the staff work hard on these shows and although they are not the best it is all part of the holiday experience.

Souks are a must along with the mountain visit and clubbing in Pacha - only about £30 each and we got a full bottle of vodka in the VIP area.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sticklepink
northumberland
Reviewed 25 August 2010

We have just returned from a two week stay in this hotel and we have had a great time. I was a little worried at some of the negative comments I read on here but I really couldnt fault anything about the holiday or the hotel. Its big, its beautiful and the gardens are now beginning to grow and look lush. Staff are great, helpful and pleasant. There may be wasps around the juice optics but of course there will be, but the pool staff are quite vigilant to resolve this problem, they clean it regularly and burn jasmine as wasps don't like the smell. The staff go out of their way to make your stay as comfortable as possible. The check in process is the easiest and less stressful I have ever had the pleasure to encounter. The staff greet you at the door with a cocktail and a big smile which is a lovely touch, then while you are enjoying a meal in the restaurant they complete your check in and take your cases to the room so all you have to worry about is whether to enjoy a drink at the bar before you find your room.

Our two young teenagers were in the room next to us which was great. The rooms are spacious, clean and practical. The fact that there is no tea and coffee making facilities in the room isnt a problem to those of us who wish to have it made for us on holiday. There is a coffee machine around the pool so if you wanted coffee before 7.30am then you could always use that. I never found the food repetitive, breakfast seemed to have the same variety every day but since they provide as much for you I still managed to have something different every morning, and the champagne breakfast on a sunday morning is a very nice touch, after two glasses with breakfast I began to wonder if I had a problem!!!!. The moroccon restaurant is worth a visit, very nice, however I didnt really enjoy the italian restaurant as it didnt have much variety. Apart from that I have no complaints about this hotel, other than their amazing array of delicious desserts that made me gain 7lbs during my stay!!!! Weight watchers here I come!

Our young boys had a fantastic time. There was plenty for them to do all the time, we never heard them say they were bored once! Result. The animation team are great, always smiling and giving 100% even though they work from 7.30am til 12midnight they are always willing to sit and have a chat and provide entertainment to all ages. The shows could be a little better but because you know how hard the team work you try to enjoy them. We didnt watch many of them because we met some great people to spend our time with at nights while the kids enjoyed the shows.

The weather was unbearably hot some days, reaching 49degrees one day, but nature is to blame for that one!!!, there was always some where to cool in the shade though. Marrakech is amazing and worth a few visits as the atmosphere changes so much as night. We were there at ramadan and I have to be honest and say that there are a few changes to certain things because of that. They eat at sundown, around 7.20pm which means that leading up to this the shops and restaurants close so they can eat and drink. This wasnt a problem to us, we have been to many countries on holiday and this is our 3rd visit to a country of muslim origin, therefore we fully appreciated their culture and we tried to adapt to them. It was nice to see them congregate at this time to enjoy their first meal of the day together, after all isnt that why we go to another part of the world for a holiday to enjoy a different culture!. We will be going some where different next year as we want to explore more countries but it will definately be another RIU hotel we stay in as they really are one of the best hotels I have stayed in. Ignore the negative comments and give this hotel and country a try, you wont be disappointed. If we visit marrakech again I will not hesitate to book this hotel again.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family