“Marrakech first timer..”

Dar Sabra Hotel Marrakech
Ranked #141 of 1,160 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 October 2013

Just finishing our holiday to Morocco we stayed four nights in Hotel Dar Sabra, Marrakech followed by six in Essaouira and a final night in Dar Sabra.

The first four nights we stayed in a Junior suite at Dar Sabra (Indian themed, I believe) the room was spacious large tub, out door balcony which is lovely for having breakfast from and an almost private pool. Arriving at the hotel was a bit worrying as the entering the hotel you have to go off-road due to new works being done. Once in the compounds your taken in to a delightfully private haven; the hotel's compound is big with several swimming pools, relaxation areas, private spa and is quite nicely set out. Exceptional it may not be but most definitely beyond satisfactory!

Food is of a good standard compared to the rest of Marrakech.

What makes this hotel is most definitely the service provided by the staff; Hassan in the day and Abdul-Latif in the evening were both exceptional in catering to our needs. They make Dar Sabra an incredibly pleasant place to stay in. We would also be lost without our driver Afan who didn't have to but acted as a guide to Marrakech on our first visit; showing us the two medinas, historical sights a lot of credit to him.

Loved the stay thanks to exceptional service.

Room Tip: Superior suite is lovely although the junior suite isn't far behind!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
DarSabraChapout, General Manager at Dar Sabra Hotel Marrakech, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2013

Dear Client,
My team and I have taken notice of your highly positive remarks: they are our best rewards and they strongly encourage us to uphold the level of excellence you are entitled to expect…

We would like to thank you also in the name of Hassan, Abdou and Afan ! We are very proud of them !!!!

We hope to have the chance to welcome you another time in the future for your next trip to Marrakesh.

My sincerest regards,

There are newer reviews for Dar Sabra Hotel Marrakech

Reviewed 1 October 2013

Stayed at Dar Sabra recently as I had a conference nearby and didn't want to stay at the conference venue. The positive of this hotel is the design - very lovely - and the front desk staff were wonderful. However. In the week prior, they told me they were no longer able to accommodate us for the final night of our stay (I am baffled as to why this happened - the hotel appeared completely empty when we were there) - and although this was an inconvenience (having to change hotel when you are working from 8 am to 6pm is a pain in the &^%$), the management were very helpful in trying to help us find an alternative hotel and upgrading our room. The room we were upgraded to was massive, which, to be honest, isn't exactly to my taste - but I get that people tend to think bigger is better in luxury hotels. The bed was comfortable, the bath could fit 23 people, the shower was bigger than my bedroom at home etc etc. On the downside, there were many mosquitoes and terrible acoustics - we had the pleasure of listening to the neighbours celebrating the joy of their humanity (ahem) and it was as if we were in the same room as them.
My partner ate at the hotel twice, he enjoyed the lunch, I can't say the same for room service which was lukewarm and a very limited menu. Breakfast was lacklustre - the same plate of cheese and breads trolled out every morning and very little service. The bar was unattended most of the time, but if you successfully play the game of find-the-waiter the drinks were good and they brought great snacks as an accompaniment. I think with a bit of work this hotel could be wonderful, but as it stands I was underwhelmed for the price.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
DarSabraChapout, General Manager at Dar Sabra Hotel Marrakech, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2013

Dear Client;
Thank you very much for your review: your compliments and remarks help us to improve our services.
The free upgrade to the superior suite was a way we found to please our clients.
However, we understand sometimes the client is not interested in a bigger room... as you said, the hotel looked empty, if we knew about it, we would gladly show you all rooms we had available to find the one that suits you best.
Unfortunately, we weren't aware of it until your review and he hoped we knew it before=/
We honestly thought you had really enjoyed your stay with us as it looked like it.
We thank you for your kind compliments and we are sincerely sorry for the inconveniences.

Reviewed 27 September 2013

we spent 4 night at dar sabra last august, and wish we spent more time, it looks like a massive resort, although it is rather small, but defo feels like a boutique hotel.
we booked the red room and a couple of our friends book a normal room, but upon realising that the room is a little noisy (there was some kind of maintenance next door) they were given the largest suit I have ever seen, high (I mean really high) ceilings and beautiful decor.
the pool has this large edge where you can just sit in the water with a book in your hands, and enjoy the sun. there are another pool, more like a lap one (but no one does any laps because marakech is mainly for chiling) and a third that no one ever uses, so we used that as OURS.
I know moroccan food, and this felt like eating at a moroccan home, very very good, not a huge choice, but for 4 days you didnt have to repeat the same meal.
Service is your typical moroccan luxury experience, you feel like a king.
total seclusion, so all you hear is the sound of sprinklers.
Totally recommend.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends

Dear client,
We are extremely happy and proud about your review.
Thank you so much for your kindness and for sharing your good experience on TripAdvisor.
We are sorry for the noise for the first room. We are glad you enjoyed the upgrade and there was no noise !
We hope to seeing you another time, it was a real pleasure to have you as a guest !

Reviewed 17 August 2013

I went to Dar Sabra last week for my honeymoon and had an amazing time!!! Everything was so perfect, from our airport pick up with a great driver who speaks perfectly English... Our room was full of rose petals and candles, and Laurent Perrier rose we had all requested prior to our arrival... We staid at Dar sabra for one week and we planned excursions, restaurant, etc for every single day of our stay by email with Denise... We strongly recommend the SPA with hammam, body scrub and massage!!!!!! Everything we needed through out our stay, we had just to ask the waiters (nené, momo...) or at reception with Hassan or Abdou, they would provide it to us... For example, scrumble eggs for breakfast, extra towels or pillows... And the best: we could ask for any special meal in advance and the chef was happy to prepare it for us. The last night we had an amazing private dinner by the pool... We will never forget dar sabra and our honeymoon was perfect!!!! Congratulations to Adrien Chapoutot!!!!!

Room Tip: New Villa Blanche with private swimming pool
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MarceloMaluf
Adrien C, General Manager at Dar Sabra Hotel Marrakech, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2013

Dear clients,
We are very proud and honored with your review !
Thank you very much and we hope to welcome you again anytime soon.

Reviewed 15 August 2013

For our first visit to Morocco and more specifically Marrakesh, our two families stayed at the very unique Dar Sabra.

Located in the Palmeraie district, Dar Sabra is a quiet retreat from the hussle and bussle of the city of Marrakesh.

It is a resort that is spread over 2 acres of land. The property is quite large for a 23 room hotel, but the layout is such, that you feel like you are in your own private oasis. Pathways link the rooms to the pools and the restaurant, the gym and the spa.

The décor is minimalist meets Art Deco. There are sculptures and Comic strip Art dotted along the property. Everywhere you turn, you’ll encounter some sort of original Art Work.

All the spaces are huge here. The grounds are large open areas, the main swimming pool is very big, the restaurant is a large open air space and the rooms are spacious and well appointed as well. The shower and tub are large enough for 2 very comfortably.

If you are travelling with kids, I would recommend the villas at the front of the property, that have a master bedroom with a separate bedroom either in the same villa courtyard or just beside you. They are secluded areas away from the main part of the property, perfect for families.

Dar Sabra is truly and oasis in the desert. You feel like you have the place to yourself, even when the hotel is sold out. The staff is also very discreet. You don’t see them buzzing around, but if you need something, ask and you shall receive. You can reach them by visiting the restaurant, by phone from your room or by going to the front desk in the lobby. They will arrange everything from the smallest detail to the more elaborate plans. If you give them 24 hours notice, they can arrange almost anything from dining preferences, to excursions for the family, to romantic dinners for 2 on or off site. They have all the connections you need to have the most memorable trip to Marrakesh.

We spent 9 days at Dar Sabra so we pretty much covered all the bases here. We had most of our dinners in the restaurant and we enjoyed every one of them. We allowed the managers, Adrien and Denise to order most of our food and we were treated to wonderful local dishes like Tajines, Chicken with lemon and olives, Moroccan salads and the best ice cream around. Every meal was a tapas style where we all shared the same plates and there was plenty for everyone.

The last but not least “special” experience at Dar Sabra was the spa treatments. For the first time, I had a hammam, followed by a facial and a massage. For those who don’t know, a hammam is a body scrub done with special black soap, experienced in a steam room. I have never had such soft skin in my life. It was incredible. Our teenagers all had facials as well, even the boys, and we all came out glowing.

For a truly memorable vacation, spend some time at Dar Sabra and let Adrien and Denise help you to make your visit a truly unique and personal experience.

We highly recommend this property and we would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank DKEVERYDAY

Dear client,
You definitely covered all the details about Dar Sabra.
We were very sad when you and your family left us.
We are glad you enjoyed our SPA, restaurant and the excursions we have organized.
THANK YOU a lot for your review. It is a great one !
Hope to see you and the kids very soon !

Reviewed 31 July 2013

I recently took my daughter and a friend to Marrakech and booked into this hotel at the last minute. As we'd arrived at a quiet time, the hotel was pretty much our own and we were upgraded to suites at no cost. Overall, we found the staff and amenities to be first-class. As a retreat from the hustle of central Marrakech it was perfect, with a couple of great pools and very welcome aircon. Free wifi also much appreciated. Overall, a good find and recommended. I think it gets much busier in high season, but mid-July turned out to be a sweetspot for the visit.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Dear Madam,
It was a real pleasure to welcome you and your so kind family at Hotel Dar Sabra and we are thrilled that you have enjoyed staying with us.
We hope to have the chance to welcome you another time and we wish you a lovely week.

Reviewed 17 July 2013

I was in Mararkech for the first time recently during the first week in July. I chose this hotel through Jetsetter and got a great deal. I have always wanted to go to Marrakech and finally had an opportunity. I was travelling alone and wasn't sure what to expect. It was fantastic and I throughly enjoyed my experience. I even extended it by a day and the hotel honored the same rate that I recvd by Jetsetter. The weather was exceptional - plenty of sunshine and not humid. HOT, HOT, HOT!

The front desk was v helpful throughout my stay. His English was great and accommodated all of my requests. I made my reservation for the Hotel transfer to/fro airport. The driver was at the airport waiting with a sign. He was v helpful and spoke good English. The hotel also offered daily navette/shuttle service into town.

I enjoyed that the hotel was quiet and the staff were v friendly and helpful. They left you alone and offered to help when needed.

I made several spa appts. The Argan oil massages were AMAZING. Get ready to get slathered with oil inc face and hair. You can find cheaper massages in town but I really enjoyed being at the hotel and being able to go straight to the pool after the massage.

Everything went perfectly, The hotel is airy, spacious and the pools are wonderful. My room was large and the bathtub was huge. I spent many afternoons enjoying the pool with a delicious flute of champagne for lunch along with yummy moroccan olives that accompanied it. This was my lunch although they do have an outdoor dining area if you have a bigger appetite.

The hotel is not in the center in town but this is what I really liked. It felt like an oasis and coming from a large city - the quiet and stillness felt hedonistic - in addition once you go into hectic town a few times coupled with the heat the best place I found was by the pool! = )

I reserved the Hot Air Balloon ride/Camel/Berber breakfast thru the hotel - great value - the pilot was great and I felt v safe. This was my first time as well. (pay with cash-local currency). it starts really early 5.15am but well worth it.

Travelling alone for the first time in Marrakech was a delight and I can't wait to return! I strongly recommend this hotel for a relaxing holiday.

Tips: Get local currency at the airport - also at the main square there are plenty of ATMs and bureau de change. brush up on your French, bring your sunglasses and enjoy the culture! Be open minded and patient.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
4  Thank Tatiana_Thompson

Dear Madam,

We have no words to describe our gratitude with your review.
Good reviews are our best rewards and they strongly encourage us to uphold the level of excellence you are entitled to expect.
I m happy to read you have enjoyed the hot air balloon ride !!! We will keep recommending it to other clients.. =)
THANK YOU in the name of all staff of Dar Sabra.