Mogador Express Gueliz
Riad Vendome & Spa Marrakech(Marrakech)(Great Value!)
US$85
US$178
  • Pool
US$92
  • Breakfast included
Club Med Marrakech La Palmeraie(Marrakech)
US$693
clubmed.us
US$305
getaroom.com
Very Good 4/5
All reviewsbig supermarkethassan iia short taxi rideair conditioningrefrigeratorconvenience
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 12 December 2011

I was slightly worried before arriving in these hotels, due to the critics I had found in TripAdvisor. So I would like to clarify some things in order to try to help other customers.

The most relevant question about this hotel and your possible experience in it is based on its location. This hotel is situated on the Hassan II Boulevard (take care as Google Maps places it on the Mohamed VI Boulevard, and it is not there; there is a mistake since there are three hotels from the same brand nearby; this hotel is situated where Google Maps places the Ryad Mogador Agdal, you will recognize it because this hotel has a U form with a pool in middle). This boulevard in in the new area of Marrakech (the area is called Gueliz) being the center of this area the railway and bus (Supratours) stations. Which means the hotel is very, very convenient if you are arriving/departing by bus/train. Or if you want to explore the new Marrakech (from the train station down boulevard Mohamed VI toward the Congress Palace). That is why on the web and other sites it says the hotel is 200-500 meters from the city center: from the center of Gueliz (the new neighborhood), not of (the old) Medina of Marrakech

If your idea is to explore the Jama Al Fna Square and surroundings, then this hotel is not really convenient; walking there will take you around 40 minutes to arrive to the Square. Of course, taxis are always available and should be relatively cheap (around 20-30 DHR).
On top, it is on the least developed part of the Boulevard Hassan II (the part of the avenue that connects the train station to the 16th November Place is much more lively), so getting by foot at night can be strange since roads in the area are not well paved and there are not too many street lights.

The hotel has a big supermarket just next door, although there is a letter sign at the entrance that forbids entering food or drinks from the exterior (I cannot understand the reason for this, since even the minibar in the room is empty).

Food in the hotel is lousy. I had dinner and breakfast and both were quite horrible, nothing really decent to mention. A lot of things, but none of them were decent quality. Even the staff were not really concerned about keeping the area tide and clean: as you arrive for breakfast most of the tables have been previouly used and do not get cleaned for a veeeeery long time. However, in the train station nearby (200 meters) there are a few coffee shops serving good expresso and a McDonalds, a Burger King and a couple more restaurants.

The room is pretty decent sized, good decoration, nice bathroom. Everything is in very good state, since I believe the hotel is just a couple of years old. I had a view on the pool, although at this time of the year it is too cold to use it. I can believe rooms heading towards the outside of the hotel can be very noisy, since the Hassan II Boulevard is quite a busy one.

The staff are not extremely polite, but they do they work fine. On my way out, I asked for a cab for the airport and at the reception they told me the approximate price (around 100 DHR), stopped a taxi for me and negotiated the price with the driver. Probably you would be able to get it cheaper on you own (it is just a 5 Km, 10 min ride), but having it all done for you makes things much easier. So not too much to complain on this side, although other travellers seem to have had really terrible experiences.

WiFi connection in the lobby is quite good. Altough other guests say they did not, I had a connection in my room also, slightly slower than the one in the lobby but decent enough.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
7  Thank folomota
Reviewed 18 September 2011

I've found out that the five stars represents the number of time you have to call the reception to get a bathtowel - and nothing happend - so I went down to the receptionist and finally got one, without getting an excuse og apology.

The hotel is situatede far from the city center. And you spend a lot of your time in a taxi or the shuttle bus.
You can find much better accomodations in a riad inside the Medina.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Lionsanne
Reviewed 4 September 2011

I have recently visited Marrakech and stayed at the Ryad Mogador Gueilz hotel. I think the hotel overall is brilliant given the amount you pay for the rooms. I stayed in room 2004 and I think it was the best room they had. It consisted of a bathtub and shower along with conventional toilet and sink in thr bathroom. The room had a king size bed with a tv, fridge, air con, safe, balcony facing directly at the pool and loads of space to put your clothes. The staff were friendly and very helpful, although as mentioned before by other reviewers that the receptioniat looked miserable. The food were the traditional moroccon food like couscous and rice. The breakfast was great as it consisted of a variety of items from tea to cereals. The swimming pool area was clean and ready to use at all times. There were sunbeds placed along side the pool with large umbrellas for shade (I would warm people to use appropriate sun cream because the weather is imense, it was 43/44 degrees everyday when I was there). I would also advice people to use the supermarket which is located just outside the hotel and is connected to the hotel building as bottled drinks and water is very cheap there (I bought a 500ml water from hotel reception and it was 20 dirhams, the same water bottle was 3 dirhams at the aupermarket + there are lots of other things you can buy there. Its exactly like a british supermarket with underground car park).

• Stayed: July 2011
3  Thank rhyancho
Reviewed 18 June 2011

Have just had a girlie getaway to Marrakesh and stayed at this hotel. Like the last commenter we couldn't find any fault with it. It's exactly as it looks in the photos, (most hotels are not) the staff were friendly and very accomodating with our requests and needs. Nice clean rooms and well air conditioned for the night heat. It's a short taxi ride (always set the price before you get into the taxi) from Gueliz, which is the new town, it's great for all your modern shopping if you don't fancy the souks. We also spent the day at the Nikki Beach on the outskits or town, it's very pricey but if you don't mind that then you have to do it! I'd go back anytime and stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
8  Thank mooze810
Reviewed 31 March 2011

Just spent a very enjoyable week here, and everything was to my complete satisfaction. Rooms kept spotlessly clean, hot water when I needed it, breakfast good (although I'm very easy to please here - some coffee and juice suffices usually, but there's a lot more on offer should you want), I was able to come and go as I pleased (sometimes not getting back until 3 or 4 in the morning), wifi in the lobby so i could check emails/the web when i wanted (couldn't from room, but nvm). Only downside was there was nothing good on TV in English (only 1 English channel from memory), but who goes on holiday to watch TV anyway?

Yes it's a bit far out, but easy to walk into centre of Gueliz from here, and lots to do there, plus only 30-40dh to the main square in a cab. The entrance staff loved me for wearing a Morocco shirt - they insisted on having pics taken with me! I felt like a star in demand lol. Like most people in the city who I got to know they referred to me as Meester Geoff, and I kind of liked that.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo