“Falling in love with Marrakech”
Review of Zamzam Riad

Zamzam Riad
Ranked #66 of 500 Hotels in Marrakech
uk
“Falling in love with Marrakech”
Reviewed 25 February 2009

My partner and I went to Marrakech and stayed at the Riad Zam Zam for five nights as a treat for Valentines Day. We had the most amazing, wonderful time! Marrakech and particularly the Medina did not disappoint with its unique atmosphere which at times is really magical.

The experience of staying in a Riad in the middle of the Medina is one that will stay with us for a very long time. You are experiencing a taste of true Marrakech life, staying in close contact with families as they go about their daily life. Hearing the call to prayer, the sights and smells all add to the richness of the experience. As does getting lost! This is an almost inevitable part of visiting this wonderful place, and i must stress we never felt threatened or scared in any way, usually we would find a local landmark that gave us that sense of direction again - and anyway it all added to the fun!

The Riad itself is wonderful and has a real sense of atmosphere and warmth. The personal service is incredible and i cannot praise Mo, Marcus, Emma and the staff enough. Bedrooms and bathrooms have been designed to feel luxurious with wonderful beds that meant I had the best nights sleep in a very long time!

We ate at the Riad a couple of times and this again was a lovely experience, the dining room is very intimate and the food excellent. However i would also recommend sampling some food bought on the street - we had the thought that if locals eat the food then so could we...we had no problems. In fact speaking with locals about life in general added depth to our experience and I found everyone so helpful, friendly and willing to chat.

To summerise if you want to experience a really different culture only three hours away from the UK, then i cannot recommend Marrakech highly enough and after doing some research if staying in the Medina is for you, then you'll love Riad Zam Zam!

Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
london
Reviewed 19 February 2009

just got back from Marrakesh and felt the need to say some stuff about Riad Zamzam.
Thankyou Marcus, Emma and Mo....oh and Abdul (our guardian). We loved it.
The decor is fab, the fireplace was warm and inviting and the wine selection that was provided for us was brilliant. didn't know Morocco was so good for wine.
We were looked after so well and your recommendations were first class. We particularly enjoyed our steam, cleansing and massage!!
We will be back!!

Stayed February 2009, travelled with friends
london town
Reviewed 6 February 2009

Dont normally or in truth ever feel compelled to write these things however on this occasion.... First things first - that being breakfast. Ole Bravo and please follow that. Emma the co- owner gave the impression of possessing more than a few talents. If any are as good as her marmalde making life is just not fair. Breasfast wonderful and then some. Whether downstairs or on the roof an occasion in itself. Dinner much the same and although we were happy to go with the flow I'm sure they would be happy to cook something you fancied as long it was along broad morrocan lines. Dinner there ideal after a long day out or if you are arriving late on.

Location wise you are told by all riad owners that therein lies peace and tranquility. Maybe true for some maybe not. Here up in the norther quarter of the Medina you are away from the tourist bustle and the crazy mind assault of the souk. It is a peaceful place. A cliche maybe but completely true. It is slap in the middle of a residential district so you do get a big slice of true Medina streetlife for your buckage when venturing outside. A veritable warren of streets but Mo the manager (a gentleman I think they used to call them) and his staff happy to give you the orienteering lessons in order to get to the sites in the centre.

The view from the roof of the snow capped Atlas was as Judith Chalmers might say truly breathtaking and somewhat mesmeric when you chuck in the minarets and palmtrees also in the frame.

A truly impressive little find.

Stayed January 2009
1 Thank marcogoalo
London
Reviewed 28 January 2009

"It is the most lovely spot in the whole world"- so said Winston Churchill about Marrakech in 1943, over 60 years later this statement is still completely true, especially if you stay at Riad Zam Zam. I'm truly not one for writing reviews on any kind of website, in fact I've never done it up till now, its really not my thing...however as they say in life
I'm y a une première fois pour tout'!

Firstly I would say Marrakech is not for the faint heart, nor for those who prefer to have a holiday or break that mimics their everyday life. The city bombards all senses, wakes you up, makes you happy & thankful to be alive and stimulates parts of the brain you didn't know existed! I've just returned back from staying at Zam Zam ( 23rd-27th Jan) as a birthday treat. As you can see from their website the building, the rooms and the decor are second to none- the attention to detail is evident from the minute you walk in and you cant help feeling truly wrapped in pure luxury. Through my work I've stayed at some of the best hotels around the world and with my hand on my heart I can say that Zam Zam is on the same level as many of them, if not above.

Being away from the true commercial area is a real plus point as well- I got to see the 'real' locals tenaciously working and keeping themselves busy on a daily basis. Not once did I feel scared, or out of my depth- the Moroccans are very friendly people- that said, even coming from hectic London, this place is busy & fast- with so many things to look at, soak in & try to understand. Stop still for a moment and someone will come and talk to you- they may want to help you with directions, or point you towards their family shop- don't be scared- embrace it, it can be truly entertaining!

The great thing about Riad Zam Zam is after returning from the exciting madness & pleasures that the medina, souks, Jemma square offer you enter an oasis of calm- but I would prefer to describe it as an oasis of karma ( of the positive type of course), tranquillity, happiness, beauty and so much more. What makes it even more of a delight are the staff, Mo- the Manager & his team who are kind, warm and truly attentive make you feel very special and remind you why we work hard to go away for fantastic experiences. I must also mentions the owners Marcus & Emma who are genuinely good people who had a dream to open a first class riad, work hard at it and have succeeded.

A stay at Riad Zam Zam is not just an experience.... its a luxurious, heart warming, fun, and mind imprinting experience that will last in my memory for a long, long time. I almost forgot to mention the food- all I can say is you must try it.... I ate at some of the other 'top' restaurants in Marrakech and the quality came no where near....

It caused me grave concern to read the only negative comment about Zam Zam, I guess that's why I've written this review- fairness & truth is very important to me. I've already recommended it to my friends & family and to a number of magazines I work with who I know would find Zam Zam the perfect setting for photo shoots. I could go on...but I'm saving it for my Moroccan night I'm having for all my friends. If you want an adventure & enjoy true luxury, warm knowledgeable staff, good value and the most breath taking views of the snow capped Atlas mountains I urge you to take a trip to Riad Zam Zam- along with the Kasbah, its ROCKS!

Pics to come... just wanted to write this all down while it was bristling in my mind!

Dee Dee

• Liked — Luxury, warm and friendly staff & amazing decor
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank DeeDee21London