“Zamzam Riad, probably the most stylish hotel in the world...”
Review of Zamzam Riad

Zamzam Riad
Ranked #69 of 499 Hotels in Marrakech
Guildford
“Zamzam Riad, probably the most stylish hotel in the world...”
Reviewed 15 March 2010

Within the hustle and bustle of the Marrakesh Medina you will step inside the luxurious sanctuary that is the Zamzam Riad.
This quiet and spacious refuge has been beautifully styled, clearly using highly skilled artisans, classic French furniture, bespoke Morrocan lighting and finishing touches that you might not find anywhere else in Marrakech. The bed and bedding in our room was so comfortable I slept until 9.00 every morning. The Hammam and massage on the roof top terrace followed by sundowners accompanied by the call to prayer is a must.
The owners Marcus and Emma gave us a local's guide to Marrakesh and the inside track on what to do and where to go. The staff are so welcoming and can't do enough for you with a special mention to Aziz, a reassuring chaperone who will meet and walk you home through the Medina labyrinth after a night out. Zamzam's network of wonderful drivers and delightful local guide Ibrahim (he's a wizard you know) will make your stay an experience you will want to repeat again and again.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
SW England
Reviewed 15 March 2010

We have just returned from a 7 night stay at Riad Zamzam which was recommended by a friend. We took one look at the reviews on trip advisor and Zamzam's own website and were totally captivated. We were not disappointed.
From the moment we arrived at Zamzam's huge front door we were under its spell. The building has been beautifully restored by Marcus with every luxury one could imagine and exquisitely furnished and dressed by Emma. Every detail of its interior has been carefully researched with no expense spared and the result is just beautiful. We were greeted by Imame, the manager, who spoke perfect English. Over cups of delicious mint tea Imame gave us a most thorough induction to familiarise us with the Medina by marking a map highlighting the surrounding area. She also advised us of services available in the Riad, places to eat and various excursions including a drive into the Atlas mountains. We were then shown around the Riad, including the rooftop terrace with its elegant sun beds and straw hats, the luxurious lounging area complete with cushions and sparkling wedding blankets, the hammam (a must have) and beauty room and the plunge pool.
We had booked the Berber Suite which is an extremely elegant twin bedded room with windows overlooking the courtyard. On the table there was a bowl of fresh fruit, along with pastries, fresh rose and bottled water. The beds were most comfortable with Egyptian cotton bed linen and light duvets and top quilts. On cool evenings, much to our surprise, we found hot water bottles in our beds. In the elegant bathroom with its round bath there were robes, plenty of fluffy Egyptian towels and delicious toiletries in silver containers. There was also an iPod docking station and Wi-fi in the room.
The food really was the best we had in Marrakech, Amina is a fabulous cook. We ate there every evening except one when we went to the famous restaurant called Tobsil (overrated in my opinion).Try Amina’s Lemon Chicken with almonds – it is amazing. I’ve tried to cook it since arriving home and failed dismally.
We tried the Hammam and massage in the Riad, which my husband enjoyed having hated it in the Caribbean. It is very relaxing and the massage is exceptionally good.
The Zamzam staff are all very good at their jobs and always greeted us with a cheery hello every day; nothing is too much trouble for them. Aziz, the porter is wonderfully calm and extremely efficient. Feisal who only just started on 1st March is a real star. He speaks very good English and I will always remember his big smile as he opened the door to us in the evening. He also walked to meet us and guide us back to the Riad from our taxi in the evenings. He and Aziz are absolutely wonderful and I especially thank them for all the help they gave us.
Imane, the manager is a very special lady. She is very bright and bubbly and altogether gorgeous. She greeted us every morning to find out how we were enjoying ourselves and to help us plan the coming day with brilliant suggestions of places to visit that we would not normally thought of (such as having a day at the local country club, or visiting the luxurious Marmounia Hotel for coffee and a walk around their delightful gardens). She is a fount of all knowledge and will ensure that you have the best holiday possible.
Imame arranged for us to have a half day guide to meet us at the Riad and introduce us to the sights including the Souk and ending in the Jemaa El Fna. This was great and I would thoroughly recommend it. It also helps you to find your way around the myriad of alleyways. I do recommend bringing a compass – we found it very helpful. You will get lots of offers from ‘helpful’ children trying to guide you to places – be aware that these children may not necessarily take you where you want to go and only want money.
We also recommend the drive to the Atlas Mountains in a very comfortable taxi with a driver who spoke perfect English. We visited the Berber House and had lunch at the lovely La Rosarie restaurant. All this was arranged by Imame and a fabulous day out.
Overall, visiting Marrakech is a real adventure, like stepping back into history. You can be energetic and walk all day or enjoy the stroll through the Souk and have a leisurely sandwich in the Café Epice, enjoying the view over the square. Stroll back to Zamzam and relax on a sun bed on the rooftop and read a book or venture further afield into the new town.
The local scene and its people are a photographer’s delight but the locals are not altogether keen to be photographed and I do recommend you ask before photographing them – especially the children.
Riad Zamzam could not be faulted and owners Emma and Marcus are great fun and very interesting to talk to. Both Emma and Marcus go out of their way to ensure you are enjoying your stay, and their love of Riad Zamzam is very obvious. They have both put their heart and soul into building a beautiful Riad and we congratulate and thank them both for an unforgettable time there.

London
Reviewed 14 March 2010

An absolutely stunning riad with friendly and helpful staff. Nothing was too much trouble, we were looked after from the moment we stepped through the door. I cannot recommend it highly enough ; the warm welcome, the beautiful rooms, the guided tour of the medina organised for us, the superb lunch we enjoyed on the terrace, the hammam and massage in the riad's spa, I could go on and on. A wonderful place to relax after the hustle and bustle of the souk. I must make a special mention of the owners, Marcus and Emma. Two of the nicest people you could ever meet. I would go there again, just to see them!

Paris
Reviewed 10 March 2010

A chic and relaxing respite from the bustle of Marrakech, ZamZam Riad's modern boutique meets traditional Moroccan interior creates an oasis-like feel. The wonderfully helpful staff provides you with everything you need, from arranging for tour guides and transportation services to delicious gourmet meals. They can even arrange hands-on cooking classes with a market tour guided by the Riad's own talented chef (an experience I recommend!). With a gorgeous rooftop that overlooks the medina, and a lovely hammam, the riad truly provides everything you could ask for.

• Stayed March 2010
Horsham
Reviewed 9 March 2010

Zamzam Retreat - Journey of Awakening - what a perfect holiday for me.
When I arrived Marrakech with a friend, neither of us knew what to expect. As soon as we entered Riad Zamzam, we instantly felt in love with this place. The decor in my bedroom was exceptional - I never stayed in a place where all details in the room seemed to be thoroughly taken care of and it was incredibly comfortable to stay too! Through the whole trip staying in Riad Zamzam, I felt as if I was staying at home (well, the only difference is that Riad Zamzam was a lot posher than my little two-bedroom-house back in England).... Yes - it was THAT comfortable.
I had several "package holidays" before, but I have to admit, this one was not like any others that I had in the past. The retreat was very nicely organised - from airport pick-up (I was amazed how knowledgeable the taxi driver was - he was like an experienced tour guide!) to Yoga (very physically- challenging - totally demolished my thought of Yoga!), souk tour, a trip to La Pause (first time riding a horse in a desert..), Hammam massage, a visit to the Atlas Mountains, and Reiki treatment and practices.... Everyday and every program I had was a surprise for me. I am still not sure how I can describe what I experienced in this... journey of awakening. Quite literally, to me, this retreat holiday in Riad Zamzam was a journey of awakening - both physically and emotionally. During the trip, I got the chance to really sit back, relax, and reflect. Having been a busy sales executive living in different cities and countries in the past 10 years, I didn't realise how uptight and competitive I have been until I had this retreat holiday (with 5 other retreaters).... And noticing how I have been and subsequently realising the fact that I can and have the power to do anything to change what I like and dislike in my normal life empowered me immensely.

All in all, I would like to thank everyone (especially to Emma) that I met in Riad Zamzam. The riad is magical and people there are incredible. I had a perfect getaway in Marrakech, and it's all because of you.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
Wales
Reviewed 3 March 2010

We have just returned from a 5 night stay at Riad Zamzam, booked on the advice of the other fabulous reviews on trip advisor and were not disappointed.
We were the only people there for the first few days, as the season is just starting. It was like being in a beautiful luxury house, but with the benefit of wonderful attentive but not intrusive staff.
Everything is done at your pace, not the Riad's, nothing is too much trouble for the staff.
The decor is stunning and I must mention the beds, which are the comfiest we have ever slept in. We had some fantastic weather, which gave us the opportunity to make use of the relaxing roof terrace - so peaceful, only broken by the Call to Prayer from the local Mosque and the birdsong, which all added to the atmosphere.
The food really is some of the best we had, cooked by the fabulous Amina. We ate there more than anywhere as it was sooo good. The lovely manager, Imane, booked us a table at a local French restaurant, Fouquet's, which was equally impressive.
We tried the Hammam and massage in the Riad, which was great value and so relaxing.
We must just mention the very hardworking maids and Aziz, the evening porter who will walk to meet you from your taxi later at night and is an absolute sweetheart.
Just a last note about Imane, the manager. She is a fountain of local knowledge, so take advantage of this and make use of her offer to arrange a guide, which is the best thing we did, otherwise it is tricky to find your way around the labyrinthine streets. Before we had the guide, we were 'accompanied' by a local man on a bike, who showed us the way to the Jemaa down many dark, unlit passageways, which was a bit scary, but we managed to pay him to leave us on arrival at the square!(we could have avoided this if we'd had the guide when we first arrived). Overall, Marrakech is a magical ancient place, like stepping back many tens of years . Riad Zamzam could not be faulted and owners Emma and Marcus are so interesting to talk to, and more importantly, they have put their heart and soul into this Riad and it shows.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Oxfordshire
Reviewed 27 February 2010

We chose Riad ZamZam based on the recommendations posted already and we were not disappointed. Riad ZamZam is beautifully presented, inviting and the staff are very friendly and go out of their way to ensure that you get the most out of your visit to Marrakech. The rooms are beautifully decorated and the atmosphere created in the evening with candles, beautiful lights and rose petals floating on the plunge pool is truly magical. Everyone and the envirtonment are very child friendly.

I contacted Emma before arriving and she was incredibly helpful suggesting different activities and things to do. This worked really well as we had a plan for the first few days, but also enough time to relax and see what we would like to do.

The guide on the first day is strongly recommended to see the Medina and have a tour of some of the sites. We all had a great time with Amina doing the cookery course, helped admirably by Imane. Visiting the local markets to buy all the fresh produce was fascinating and then learning together how to cook the delicious dishes was great fun. We enjoyed our lunch tremendously with a great sense of achievement.

We also visited La Pause for a day in the "dessert" - just 45 minutes from Marrakech down a dirt track finds an idyllic oasis. We had a delicious lunch in a Berber tent and an eventful ride on the camels!

We stayed for 6 nights and ate in most nights, the food is delicious and Amina was very accommodating to cook our daughter spaghetti bolognese on a couple of occasions. Marcus, Emma and Imane are all very friendly and helpful, it is like staying in someone's home. The weather wasn't great but we enjoyed some lively card games with other guests, snug by the open fire.

The Riad is in the north of the Medina and so is a walk from the main square and souks, but actually this makes the stay more interesting as you really are amongst the local people - who are all very friendly and courteous, and away from the main tourist part. As well as walking to the town, we did use taxis to get around and walked the last part, often accompanied by the gracious Aziz who looked after the Riad in the evenings. We also enjoyed the horse and carriage ride around the medina.

We would love to return and experience the warmth of the sun as one thing we didn't manage to do was relax on the terrace in the sunshine. However the warmth of the staff and lovely surroundling made up for it.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family